Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I Luck Into a Win Against a Clearly Superior Opponent  (Read 1350 times)

fencingmonkey

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
I Luck Into a Win Against a Clearly Superior Opponent
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:19:51 pm »

Had to share this, because it contains my personal Greatest Hand Ever:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110823-200640-534b8208.html

Possession is one of those cards that gets more powerful the more skilled your opponent is compared to you, so of course I grabbed it ASAP.

And then... Turn 21.

King's Court/Possession. Nothing surprising, by itself.
...except that I managed to Island away his only Possession.
...and had a Moat in my hand, so I could keep playing his Rabble without hurting my next hand.
...and I King's Courted his Grand Market, allowing me to pick up 3 GMs of my own.

He made a valiant effort to repair the gap, but I managed to KC a GM and double Colony a few turns later and he resigned.

There is no chance I could ever pull this off again; it was purely a matter of drawing several cards at absolutely the best possible time, but I still think it's entertaining.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: I Luck Into a Win Against a Clearly Superior Opponent
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 02:30:32 pm »

Possession is one of those cards that gets more powerful the more skilled your opponent is compared to you, so of course I grabbed it ASAP.

Lots of people think this, and it's blatantly false. There's skill in knowing what to do with possession on the board, just as with anything else. It does TEND to increase variance, but not always.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: I Luck Into a Win Against a Clearly Superior Opponent
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:53 pm »

I agree with WW. I think that possession is a card that heavily favours a more skilled player. Sure you may possess his stronger deck for a turn or two, but he's playing with that deck for all other turns... and he's setting his deck up to be as possession-proof as possible.

Where possession really is a frustrating card is against equal-skilled opponents. In this situation, the game is likely to be entirely dictated on how strong the possession turns are.

I.e. One player possess a goons, 4 green card hand. The other player possesses a KC, Expand, 3x Platinum hand.   (/aside, I wouldn't advocate buying expand on possession boards!)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.