Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Talisman -- oh how little we meet  (Read 11737 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Talisman -- oh how little we meet
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 09:52:36 am »

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that assumption before noticing Woodcutter raised it's winrate, simply because, when you're getting destroying 17 times out of 20, you don't need more things going against you :P.

If BMU grabs Gardens, it gets a whole lot harder to sim. But I suspect by grabbing Gardens earlier itself, Talisman/Garden/Woodcutter will still win by three piling quickly.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04:00 am »

I buy talisman somewhat often if there is caravan on the board and no power $5.

People have also correctly identified that talisman can be powerful with +buys, because there is a multiplication effect. For this reason, I often snag a talisman in engine games with hamlet, because Oh look, I've got $6, three buys and a talisman, and yes I'll buy the six remaining hamlets. This can be critical, especially if hamlet is the only village. Other similar situations can occur, but hamlet has all the critical pieces in one (cheap,+buy,critical engine piece). Obviously +buy makes talisman good at piling out too.

But yeah, it takes a lot of things to go right together for talisman to be right. Its even narrower than workshop, which still allows you to buy a $5 AND use the workshop to get a 4, not to mention the VP thing. Although occasionally the lack of requiring an action is nice.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 08:24:06 am »

What if we bought up all the Talismans before going for Gardens? Like say we pile out the Talismans with help from our first Talismans. Then we buy up all the Hamlets or something, getting 3 or 4 per turn. Then we go for the Gardens while picking up cheap cantrips or coppers when not buying Gardens.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 08:58:24 am »

What if we bought up all the Talismans before going for Gardens? Like say we pile out the Talismans with help from our first Talismans. Then we buy up all the Hamlets or something, getting 3 or 4 per turn. Then we go for the Gardens while picking up cheap cantrips or coppers when not buying Gardens.
Problem with this usually is that you lose the split with that, and even with just a 3-5 split you need ~20cards more than your opponent to tie. And usually have the worse deck to get to something like Duchies/Provinces.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 10:18:19 am »

I find Talisman combos with Forager.

- Forager is better in the presence of alt-treasure cards, to make a more lucrative (from Forager's standpoint) trash pile.

- The problem with sending various treasure cards to the trash with the intent to buff Forager is that your opponent can just snap up Foragers too, getting the benefit of your hard work without spending tempo doing that work.

- But you can get around that by suddenly grabbing multiple Foragers at once, before your opponent realizes what you're up to, thanks both to (1) Talisman's buy-one-get-one-free property, AND (2) Forager's built-in +Buy.  A hand of Copper-Silver-Talisman-Forager-X, with at least two kinds of treasure in the trash, is a hand that gets you four Foragers all at once.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 12:59:51 pm »

I cannot think of a good strategy that would require 5 Foragers.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 01:04:09 pm »

Rats! Yeah, maybe not.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »

I dunno, the Provinces came in amazingly quickly with the Foragers generating +$4 a pop.  It was like playing a Pirate Ship deck, except with built-in trashing and built-in +Actions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.