Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 10730 times)

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 02:15:21 pm »

I second anything by Neil Gaimon, although suggest American Gods as the best!

I'll third the call for Neil Gaimon. Wonderful.

It's spelled Gaiman, in case anyone wants to look for his books.  Actually, I didn't like American Gods.  Not his best work.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 02:50:24 pm »
+1

I second anything by Neil Gaimon, although suggest American Gods as the best!

I'll third the call for Neil Gaimon. Wonderful.

It's spelled Gaiman, in case anyone wants to look for his books.  Actually, I didn't like American Gods.  Not his best work.

I enjoyed American Gods.  But I would definitely recommend Good Omens, where he collaborated with Terry Pratchett, another fabulous author.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 03:05:06 pm »

Just finished Dance with Dragons yesterday. I really liked the last third of the book, although I still think I like the previous two books were better. I just don't care that much about Daeneyris.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 04:13:14 pm »

Just finished Dance with Dragons yesterday. I really liked the last third of the book, although I still think I like the previous two books were better. I just don't care that much about Daeneyris.

I haven't read DwD yet, but I'm with you. I think it has something to do with the fact that she's kind of super-powered so she's got no underdog appeal like Arya (young, alone, a girl in a man's world) or Tyrion (a little person and, later, scarred) and she doesn't seem super noble like Eddard Stark or Jon Snow.

Plus, I think in about 2 years, people will look back on her hair in the TV series and be like "Whaaaaa?" It looks weirdly, totally artificially blond, even though she must be 2000 miles and 2000 years from hair coloring that powerful. I mean, it looks like doll hair.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 04:28:28 pm »

I haven't read DwD yet, but I'm with you. I think it has something to do with the fact that she's kind of super-powered so she's got no underdog appeal like Arya (young, alone, a girl in a man's world) or Tyrion (a little person and, later, scarred) and she doesn't seem super noble like Eddard Stark or Jon Snow.

Plus, I think in about 2 years, people will look back on her hair in the TV series and be like "Whaaaaa?" It looks weirdly, totally artificially blond, even though she must be 2000 miles and 2000 years from hair coloring that powerful. I mean, it looks like doll hair.

Shes a targaryan. That silver/blonde hair coloring is supposed to be a defining genetic trait of her line.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 05:02:40 pm »

Shes a targaryan. That silver/blonde hair coloring is supposed to be a defining genetic trait of her line.

Natural silver/blond is one thing, but it looks really fake in the show, IMO.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 05:06:26 pm »
+1

The first thing I found strange about aSoIaF was the seasons and years. The way we define years is as a cycle of seasons. But in aSoIaF, seasons are able to last multiple years, and vary in length. How then do they define their standardized year?

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 05:14:20 pm »

The first thing I found strange about aSoIaF was the seasons and years. The way we define years is as a cycle of seasons. But in aSoIaF, seasons are able to last multiple years, and vary in length. How then do they define their standardized year?

Well our seasons are based on the solar year, and i assume theirs are too, but there are other ways to define year, such as the lunar cycles. Now our lunar years roughly line up with solar years because it makes sense with the season changes and what not, but I imagine if they have no fixed season length, they would just pick an arbitrary number of lunar cycles to call a year. Just like we arbitrarily assign 7 days to a week. And let's just say 'by chance' they picked the number of lunar cycles which roughly correlates to our solar year to make age comparisons easy.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 05:29:49 pm »

Their year cannot be solar-based unless they have some mysterious factor which causes the seasons. (Which could be the case, because their seasons are of variable length.) But without a mysterious factor, we assume that their seasons are caused by the solar cycle which would imply that a solar year would have a correlation with seasons. Clearly, it doesn't.

But, I do like the lunar calendar idea. It's better than my brother's idea that a group from our world in the future was transferred to another world with different physical rules from ours. In that world, they forgot all future technology and reverted to feudalism but still maintained the calendar system.

On another note, does anyone know how the harvest cycle works in aSoIaF?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 05:32:18 pm »

Their year cannot be solar-based unless they have some mysterious factor which causes the seasons. (Which could be the case, because their seasons are of variable length.)

My impression is that 'magic' and other forces affect the seasons so dramatically that it overrides 'astronomical seasons'.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 05:39:14 pm »

Ueah, i assumed they have normal sasons, but then an especially large geological event that they call Winter.

No such thing as magic!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »

No such thing as magic!

Especially if the Maesters get their way.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »

Ueah, i assumed they have normal sasons, but then an especially large geological event that they call Winter.

No such thing as magic!

This is what I was thinking. Couldn't "Winter is coming" just mean a new ice age of some sort?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries.