Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 21966 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:09 pm »
+2

Also: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

Raise your hand if you DON'T want a Disney castle whistling "When You Wish Upon a Star" in front of a Star Wars movie.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 01:17:53 pm »

I'm hoping for Darth Vader hanging out in Space Mountain.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 01:29:23 pm »

Also: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

Raise your hand if you DON'T want a Disney castle whistling "When You Wish Upon a Star" in front of a Star Wars movie.

Spotlights or no deal.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »

Maybe it's because I was 9 when it came out

This. Jar Jar is pretty awesome when you're a kid.

Ewoks are also awesome when you're a kid. But when I look back at RotJ, I realize that the little bastards just didn't belong and detracted from the main storyline.

I do remember laughing at the Ewok whacking himself with the sling. I do remember laughing at how clever it was that Chewbacca did the Tarzan yell. I even laughed at both burp jokes.

Today, I shake my head at those scenes and wish it kept the same tone as IV and V.

So, yeah, I'm not arguing that Jar Jar isn't awesome for kids, but his inclusion not only didn't contribute anything worthwhile to the movie, but it actually detracted from the main storyline (as flimsy as it was). 

But there's a lot to be said about nostalgia. I have fond memories growing up with Commando and will probably watch it again if it comes on. But it's a bad movie, no doubt about it. There is a difference in how two people can view the same movie if one is a kid while the other is an adult.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »
+1

But there's a lot to be said about nostalgia. I have fond memories growing up with Commando and will probably watch it again if it comes on. But it's a bad movie, no doubt about it. There is a difference in how two people can view the same movie if one is a kid while the other is an adult.

There are a couple films that I adore that everyone else seems to hate, simply because of nostalgia.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 05:04:20 pm »

Can't get any worse. I assume someone has already said this, but tl;dr.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31:52 pm »
+1

Speaking as someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie, but has seen many parodies of it and has read all of Darths & Droids, I'll probably try Machete order at some point. Warped portrayal of first movie from D&D = sufficient? Who knows.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 09:37:59 pm »

Speaking as someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie, but has seen many parodies of it and has read all of Darths & Droids, I'll probably try Machete order at some point. Warped portrayal of first movie from D&D = sufficient? Who knows.

Well now I know what I'll be reading my spare/procrastination time.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 09:52:45 pm »

I'm totally pro-Ewok. Can we talk about the Ewok movies? anyone remember those? (there were two, right?) Disney could totally make more of those. Ewoks are the best.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:21 pm »

I'm totally pro-Ewok. Can we talk about the Ewok movies? anyone remember those? (there were two, right?) Disney could totally make more of those. Ewoks are the best.
Never trust Ewok rope. That's the main lesson I've learned.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 08:29:34 am »

Race of little furry savages? I'm cool with that. The antics in RotJ that turn an otherwise decent battle scene into the Keystone Kops? Not so much.

I don't even mind the interaction between the Ewoks and the Rebels when they first meet.
A man has no signature

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 09:00:12 am »

This is the most incredible webcomic
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »

Discovering D & D just made my day. And ruined all productivity for today.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2012, 07:19:19 pm »

... the proposals to view Star Wars in machete order?

>mfw machete order

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2012, 07:20:15 pm »
+1

Then you're fairly lucky; it ruined my productivity for several days.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »

I do so love the Comic Irregular's work. I still follow Irregular Webcomic for the "Director's commentary" and Sunday essays, I regularly read D&D (or as I describe it to those I want to read it, "the webcomic that introduced 'Jar-Jar, you're a genius' non-sarcastically") and all the mezzacotta's except for the main one, and even have a couple of SRoMG and LMoO comics up.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »

Oh man, this track is gold.  See the comments referring to how, in the comic universe, Star Wars doesn't exist and the Comic Irregulars are doing a comic based on Harry Potter.  And then follow the link on THAT one...

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:53 pm »

Ah, but it starts (ostensibly) here.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2012, 12:04:45 am »

Star Wars >
A man on a mission.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2012, 03:47:58 pm »
+1

Then you're fairly lucky; it ruined my productivity for several days.

WHERE DID THE WEEK GO

Also, I'm surprised they haven't done anything on the Disney announcement. 

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »
+3

SO I've mathematically determined the best possible plot for Star Wars VII:

The entire thing takes place in the Galactic Senate chamber and chronicles the minutia of a trade dispute between the Ewoks and the Gungans. The only established character from the franchise is Jar Jar Binks, who has been made Chancellor.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »
+1

The entire thing takes place in the Galactic Senate chamber and chronicles the minutia of a trade dispute between the Ewoks and the Gungans. The only established character from the franchise is Jar Jar Binks, who has been made Chancellor.

Wouldn't he be dead by then?  Murder seems the most likely situation, but old age would require him to be dead, also.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »

Wouldn't he be dead by then?  Murder seems the most likely situation, but old age would require him to be dead, also.

IRRELEVANT!!!!!! THE POWER OF BEING OBNOXIOUS KEEPS JAR JAR AND THE EWOKS ALIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2012, 09:56:50 pm »
+1

IRRELEVANT!!!!!! THE POWER OF BEING OBNOXIOUS KEEPS JAR JAR AND THE EWOKS ALIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!

You are not allowed to hate the Ewoks.  -1.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2012, 10:10:02 pm »
+2

Obviously a mysterious person hired the Kaminoans to create a clone army of Jar-Jars and keep them on ice.

He/him
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.