Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 22068 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
STAR WARS
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:32:26 am »
+1

Has been bought by Disney.  And will be making Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.  Thoughts?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:36:04 am »
+1

Sounds terrible?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:49:42 am »
+4

Princess Leia is now a Disney Princess.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 01:54:54 am »

I'm actually OK with this.

1) Our last star wars movies wont be the prequel trilogy. It's hard to tarnish the legacy at this point.
2) Lucas won't have full control over the projects. He'll still offer creative input, which is great. He did make an awesome universe. Once he got full control, no one had the balls to tell him how bad his screenwriting and directing were.
3) Admiral Thrawn on screen? Cross fingers.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:59:00 am »
+2

I have a controversial opinion about Star Wars. The new movies were just* as good as the old ones...

...because the old ones weren't very good, either.**

*Well Episode I is total garbage, and the acting in Episode II is laughable, but the prequels at least have a sophisticated, half-way intriguing plot, buoyed by awesome battles and effects. The originals are as generic as "rebels vs. overlord" stories go. That stupid pinball blast destroying the Death Star--twice! twice!--is ridiculous enough to sink them all, even before Lucas's much-maligned tinkering.

**I mean, they're all fine (except Episode I). If they're on, I'll watch them. But definitely less interesting than their reputation would suggest.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:28:32 am »
+2

Well then. You are wrong. Now let me tell you why you are wrong.

I'll start with where I agree. The original trilogy had a very formulaic plot at the high level. Good vs. evil, rebels vs. establishment. But well, pretty much every movie is formulaic if kept at that level. But yeah, the overarching plot is nothing special. And some of the character motives are vague and uninteresting unless you read the backstory, but that shouldnt count. But the character work is fantastic. They're relatable and emotionally deep. The scene with luke and vader at the end of jedi is just filled with emotional payoff that has been building for 3 movies. Even the lighsaber scene in a new hope with obi wan and vader which all the youngins pan as 'boring' is filled with more emotional significance than anything in the prequels. OK, also the ewoks are stupid.

And now that I brought up the prequels, they aren't even decent movies. The character motivations are confusing and vague. Like all of them. The emotions are forced. Did anyone enjoy the chemistry between anakin and padme? And you say the plot is interesting? Its convoluted and filled with so many plot holes I wouldnt know where to begin.

I will agree that the movies get an inflated reputation. A lot of that has to do with the original reception where the special effects were unlike anything ever seen before. Obviously that hurts the movies overall when compared to modern offerings, but it should count for something. It's rather similar to the matrix there.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:30 am »

Well, The Matrix is a whole other can of worms with me, as I really like them, all three (well the third one is flawed, but the second is a LOT better than how it's treated). But let's not talk about that.

As for Star Wars, it sounds like we don't disagree so, so much. Plot holes were a consistent problem, originals, prequels, and gap between prequels (man did Obi Wan age!). I guess I was vaguely more interested in the intrigue of the prequels--Anakin's slow turn to the dark side, Palpatine's nefarious take over, there's some mystery in II--than running around shooting guns at comically inept guards on the Death Star, or Ewok Forest.

I will grant you that characterization and acting is much better in the originals. Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman give the flattest performances of their lives in the prequels, matched only by the shoddiness of the writing.

But the effects of the prequels blow the originals out of the water. So it just ends up being a bit of a mixed bag for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of great moments in the originals. I agree with you there. I could watch Luke, Vader, and Palpatine all day. But then there are teddy bears knocking down giant armored robot tanks with bamboo spears. Mixed bag, like I said.

--

But compare to Lord of The Rings. Now that's a perfect movie trilogy.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 02:49:24 am »

But compare to Lord of The Rings. Now that's a perfect movie trilogy.
Agreed!

.. Time to go to sleeps though, Robz!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 03:16:23 am »

For me it's: Empire > Sith > New Hope > Phantom > Clones > Return > Disney Crap

Best part of the entire series is when the stormtrooper hits the door with his head and the "cloonk" sound they added later.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 04:40:15 am »

I'm in the "excited" camp.

I would say that more is strictly better than none, but I get angry watching he originals now because of how stupid the prequels were

Why doesn't kenobi recognize c3po in a new hope?

However, I am still optimistic.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:46:26 am »
+1

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:56:14 am »

Let's face it, they can't get any worse, and hopefully they will keep Lucas away from them now

Getting taken over by Disney didn't do Marvel any harm...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 04:58:30 am »

Wait, have they bought star wars or Lucas arts?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:00:42 am »

Wait, have they bought star wars or Lucas arts?
They bought LucasFilms, which owns (among others) Star Wars and LucasArts.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 05:04:12 am »

Uh-oh, that means more Indiana Jones as well....

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 05:08:26 am »

But the last one was such a a success too?

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 05:09:18 am »

But the last one was such a a success too?

*pukes over his keyboard*

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 08:36:06 am »
+2

Ok, I grew up on Star Wars, having been raised by nerds, so I have quite a fond attachment to these movies.  Anyone who dislikes Ewoks can answer to my FIST.  At least Ewoks don't say "dellow felegates" when giving a speech in the Senate.  (Why is your acting so bad, Attack of the Clones?)  Ewoks are fuzzy and cute and awesome!

For me, there's nothing wrong with formula.  What matters is whether or not you can take that formula and do cool things with it. 

Also, if we're going by effects, Robz - Attack of the Clones's effects were as bad as its acting - at least, when compared to the other two prequels.  It just looked so fake.

I think what irked me about the prequels most (surprisingly, I don't hate Jar Jar, and my sister actually loved his character as a kid) was the fact that Lucas kept ret-conning everything.  There was a backstory for the time period these movies took place in, and while I realize that it was just "expanded universe" and technically not his "vision," it was still kind of odd that he just ignored all of it.  Death Star researched in the middle of a field of black holes (which would have been AWESOME to see)?  NOPE GONNA MAKE IT BUG PEOPLE ON A MARS ANALOGUE.

Anyway.  We'll still watch those silly prequels for the lightsaber battles.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 08:48:58 am »

The prequels had great potential. Like Robz, I was very much interested in the politics and intrigue that birthed a totalitarian empire. I could even enjoy watching Jar Jar be manipulated into granting control to the chancellor (who promptly put the senate in the discard pile). Granted, the folly of Jar Jar doesn't make up for all the crap we had to endure in Episode I, but the story of the chancellor manipulating events so that the people willingly give over control is pretty good.

I'm starting to lean toward the camp that Return of the Jedi is a bad movie. Yeah, my 11-year-old self still loves it. The Jabba scene is pretty damned cool and makes for a pretty good mini-movie, but it feels out of place in the trilogy. The second half of the movie is mostly garbage, with the exception of the space battle (but who knew that star destroyers had such a weakness? Were they designed by the same guy who built the first Death Star?). Like the prequels, Return had such promise, but it got swallowed up by marketing ploys and awkward writing. To paraphrase a Facebook photo that's been floating around, Darth Vader could detect Obi-Wan and Luke from miles away but couldn't recognize Leia when she's 2 feet from him? Talk about pulling stories out of your ass.

I'm cautiously optimistic about new Star Wars movies. I haven't watched the Clone Wars series, but I hear it's doing very well. Not so much on the Clone Wars movie. It's actually a pretty rich universe. I kind of hope they revisit some of the earlier materials. I mean, making up new planets and races is fun and all, but sometimes it feels like there's only one of each race. We've seen an additional Rodian in the movies, but their representative got embroiled in a whole "Han shot first" debate. It's cool to see a twi'lek be something other than a sex slave (maybe just dancer, but my imagination regarding the underworld is pretty seedy).

Star Wars is something that is now beyond Lucas's imagination. As long as Disney can maintain consistency within the Star Wars universe, it's possible to have some great movies. Of course, consistency is already lost in the Star Wars movies, so would we even notice?
A man has no signature

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 08:52:35 am »

At least the computer games are good; I mean, KOTOR and KOTOR II were very enjoyable for me.

And I loved trailblazing through Jedi Knight in God Mode to just slash everything with the saber.  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 09:02:59 am »
+1

I hope that Disney floods us with star wars movies

I don't even care about a new trilogy.  I'd be perfectly happy to pay money to watch a standalone movie about rebel sympathizes fleeing imperial oppression, or a standalone bounty hunter mission, or a star base frantically trying to ready itself against an incomin assault. A young person learning to control the force without guidance on a remote planet fleeing from the emperor's scouts?

A movie with Mara jade as protagonist? 

Of course, id love the thrawn trilogy as well, but I'd pay
I see just about anything - even if I bitch about it on the Internet later.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 09:03:05 am »

To paraphrase a Facebook photo that's been floating around, Darth Vader could detect Obi-Wan and Luke from miles away but couldn't recognize Leia when she's 2 feet from him? Talk about pulling stories out of your ass.

or perhaps he totally did detect her, but seeing his daughter (perhaps a spitting image of his former love) was enough for him to have some degree of mercy on her. maybe seeing his daughter was a key plot element in facilitating his movement away from the dark side.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 09:05:50 am »
+1

To paraphrase a Facebook photo that's been floating around, Darth Vader could detect Obi-Wan and Luke from miles away but couldn't recognize Leia when she's 2 feet from him? Talk about pulling stories out of your ass.

or perhaps he totally did detect her, but seeing his daughter (perhaps a spitting image of his former love) was enough for him to have some degree of mercy on her. maybe seeing his daughter was a key plot element in facilitating his movement away from the dark side.

Carrie fisher was on wait wait don't tell me a while ago, and she said that Lucas had not told hen that she and Luke were siblings

My guess?  He made it up later an didn't think about it.

She also said that the metal bikini didn't fit to her skin (being metal and all) and that boba fett could see all they way down to Florida when he was standing behind her

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 09:08:08 am »

I dont think anybody knew they were siblings until the final film, just something Lucas decided to throw in.

And I always assumed that Vader could sense Luke from so far away because the force was so strong in him.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 09:18:36 am »

Put me in the excited camp. A lot of the mythology is cool, and wouldn't it just be even cooler if we handed to someone other than George Lucas? I don't think the property is so important as the director; I couldn't have given two .... about the Avengers until Joss Whedon took them up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 1.109 seconds with 20 queries.