Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dark Ages IRL Help - 3 Games  (Read 986 times)

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
Dark Ages IRL Help - 3 Games
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:42:05 pm »

Game 1

4-Player using Base, Seaside and Dark Ages. Estates as starting cards.

Cards in Kingdom: Squire, Fishing Village, Urchin, Gardens, Fortress, Salvager, Death Cart, Wharf, Witch, Cultist

I have no idea what to do here. And I'm not going to share what I was going for as I was 4th player, Player 1 drew 5-2 and I drew both of my opening cards (Fishing Village and Salvager for the record) on turn 5 meaning my strategy didn't matter all that much. I didn't reach 4 on any of my last 8 turns of the game (I drew 10 coins with no +buy on the first hand after shuffle and then drew no coin other than FV after that until the game ended).

Still, as 4th player I would think going Cultist is the best route as everyone else normally will go Witch (Player 1 went both with his 5-2 draw and early advantage and killed everyone).

What would everyone else have done as Player 4? What about if it was 2-player?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Game 2

3-Player Game using Base, Seaside and Dark Ages. Shelters in Play.

Cards in Kingdom: Forager, Moneylender, Bureaucrat, Rats, Sea Hag, Graverobber, Mystic, Festival, Bazaar, Adventurer

With no card drawers and a big curser with a lack of trashing the play seems clear here with Sea Hag. Rats ended up being big especially in my case as I trashed my extra Rats with Forager and Graverobber throughout the game while one player ended up with 12 Rats in his deck by the end. Moneylender was a big trap on this board as one player in this game hates when his deck has more than 20 cards in it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Game 3

3-Player Game using Base, Seaside and Dark Ages. Shelters in Play.

Cards in Kingdom: Squire, Vagrant, ,Lighthouse, Moat, Caravan, Smithy, Catacombs, Rebuild, Merchant Ship, Treasury

I'll admit this was a fairly dull kingdom, but after the cursing of the previous games it was welcomed. I won't speak of my strategy here because I went against everything I know and played like a pre-Village Idiot, overbuying actions with no way to play them. I nearly recovered at the end with a Rebuild strategy but ran out of time.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages IRL Help - 3 Games
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:44:55 pm »

Game 1: IMO, Squire/Gardens. Especially if other people are "junking" your deck with ruins and curses. I don't know what the right balance is between buying squires, buying gardens, using squire for 2 +buys and using squire to gain Silvers to keep getting $4, but I'm pretty sure it would work okay, especially if other people around give you a bunch of stuff to bloat your gardens. Squire either gains you a silver or gives +2buys, both of which are pretty good for gardens.

I mean, if you're  p4 and draw both your opening buys on t5 in a game with witch and cultist, there's probably nothing you can do regardless of strategy if your opponents are halfway competent. But still.

Game 2: Seems reasonable. Sea Hag into Rats+Salvager/Forager/Graverober. I'd think Rats/Salvager works better than Rats/Graverobber, since there aren't particularly good $7 actions to change rats into. Moneylender definitely a trap, you want those coppers early on.

Game 3: no idea. Options that seem reasonable:

BM+X where X is probably an opening Smithy and then later a Catacombs.

Some crazy thing with Rebuild. I have no intuition, none at all, about how fast 'rebuild' strategies work. I would suspect they are a trap, but really don't know; however, I see nothing here that looks like it would be support for a Rebuild strategy, and so I would assume that 'unsupported rebuild' doesn't beat Smithy+BM with Shelters in play. 

Squire/Smithy/Catacombs/Caravan engine, with Merchant Ship/Lighthouse/Treasury for extra coin. With no trashing and no attacks, and with the only village being non-drawing, it may be hard for this to beat Smithy+Catacombs BM. On the other hand, squire gives both $ and +Buy/+Actions, so I bet like Marin or Stef could make it work! Maybe make it more of a caravan engine than a Squire/Catacombs engine. I'd try this if I was feeling ambitious.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages IRL Help - 3 Games
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:58:29 pm »

I don't have a good feeling for Rebuild either, but Caravan + Rebuild exclusively with something like Merchant Ship as a terminal sounds pretty solid. Cycling is pretty fast with Caravan, get a couple of Rebuilds, and you don't even need to buy Provinces.

I don't think the engine would work. Squire + Smithy/Catacombs has the same drawing power as Village + Moat (with an extra $1 thrown in). Caravan is cool for consistency but they can only help you so much. In general the problem is that the consistency of this engine is pretty suspect, especially during the greening stage where you'll probably need to catch up on VP to win.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:06:31 pm by dondon151 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.