Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What went haywire?  (Read 1472 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
What went haywire?
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:09:09 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/29/game-20121029-090305-12591ecf.html

I could have bought estates on T26 and 27, in which case I guess I would have tied, but I won the curse split 7-3, and was significantly ahead the whole game.  What am I missing?

Was the second witch a mistake?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: What went haywire?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:32:00 pm »

The young witch/secret chamber + tunnel combination was going to be good here. It suits a messy curse and fairgrounds approach too. Your opponent lost the initiative with his smuggler and tournaments since they were not as productive as he anticipated.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:51:20 pm »

So, if I've translated correctly, the fact that I was ahead early and mid-game was the anomalous game state?

My GF said she thought she got lucky.  Are you suggesting that she may have been unlucky early, but that she picked the dominant strategy?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:53:14 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:02:54 pm »

I would not have opened with Smugglers here (but maybe picked it up later to nab Fairgrounds), but YW/Tunnel was definitely how I would have gone, at least on a 3/4 opening.  It was a close game, though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »

At 5/2, I think you want to open Witch/Secret chamber, even though you haven't seen your opponent buy a Young Witch.  Witch/Secret chamber vs. non-opening curser is probably better than Witch/nothing vs. curser. 

I do not think Banks are any good here other then 15th card for fairgrounds.  The situations that it is more useful in a curse/Alt-VP game than gold is not even close the times when you can't reach Duchy/FG.  T25 could have been estate/tunnel rather than $1 and that's not due to shuffle luck really. 

I also don't understand why you don't buy tunnels on T21/T27... 3 pile wasn't coming to an end I believe...

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:22:55 pm »

Also, with the addition of tunnel, suddenly you can purchase fairgrounds with your for 4VP and cut your opponent off on 6VP (so sorta effectively worth 5VP but not really). 

Your opponent was playing for a mirror match, which her decisions would have been decent.  It just makes it hard for her to recoup when you're playing BM-Witch on a 5/2 split.  With these tiny adjustments, your 7-3 curse split would have carried you through.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.