Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: What's your username mean  (Read 28901 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
What's your username mean
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
+1

So curious... what's your username mean? Some of them are somewhat obvious, but there's a lot I'm curious about!

For those who don't know, mine comes from a Japanese anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
Re: What's your username mean
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »

Mine is a random fantasy-sounding name I used for a D&D character way back, then transferred the name to a WOW character and have been using since then.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »

Like Kirian, I had my fill of D&D. Kuildeous was a fantasy-sounding name.

I used to go by Kuildeous Irkus and then made up this elaborate back story to anyone who asked that Kuildeous was Latin for pestilent while Irkus was Latin for noisome. So, my name was translated from, "Annoying Asshole."

Interestingly enough, that line got the ladies. Well, not all of them. Not even most of them. Okay, maybe a handful of women gave me pity laughs at parties.
A man has no signature

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:51:59 pm »
+2

my name is donald

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »

Back in the day I just wanted to use jsh as my screen name everywhere (initials) but some forms wanted 6 characters.  There you go.  My internet buddies like the 357 and it stuck for some reason.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:36:15 pm »
+3

Nick Young is the most baller basketball player to ever grace the earth. It's been said that some scientists study cloning solely to create more Nick Youngs [citation needed]. He played on the Washington Wizards until last season. I am a Washingtonian.

My name's not Nick, and I am not particularly young.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »
+8

Ozle: Pronouced as Ooo-Zel

When I were a wee child back on the shores of Tuvalu we were a very poor family, poor than even the average standard of living amongst the hut people of Lolua island province.

Some days, instead of going to school my mother used to send me and my poor sister down to the beach to hunt Boggis's. they were a tricky animal to catch, being part way between a crab and a rabbit. So they move sideways but in a sort of hopping motion, and you had to watch out for thier claws. As they jumped along the beach they let out a cheery cry, a bit like the Oooooh before the Aaaahh when you are watching fireworks.

Because of the claws and and the hopping many a Tuvaluan lost thier fingers to a Boggis, and that was thier weaving days over (There were pretty much only two industries on Lolua, weaving and collecting Guano...and let me tell you, the Guano wasnt anybodies first choice!)

So the best way to catch them was a cunning trap made of large coconut shells, vine, a pile of thorny leaves and the rest. I imagine you can visualise it so no need to go into detail. But as the Boggis would come along, jump onto the thorny leaves and spring faster in the air than it could control. There it banged its head on the hollowed out coconut, which came down on top of it, trapping it for the canny hunter to collect at lesuire

BUT WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH YOUR NAME? I hear you, i hear you.
Well, as the Boggis hit the top of the coconut it used to spin round a bit, making the same sort of noise if you put a metal ball in a cup and swirl it round. This came out as a zzzzzzzzzzzlllllllll

So it is in homage to those days, and my poor sister that I put the noise you used to hear while hunting Boggis's to my name as memory of those better days

Ooooooooozzzzzzzzllllll

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:54:04 pm »
+11

Ozle: Pronouced as Ooo-Zel

When I were a wee child back on the shores of Tuvalu we were a very poor family, poor than even the average standard of living amongst the hut people of Lolua island province.

Some days, instead of going to school my mother used to send me and my poor sister down to the beach to hunt Boggis's. they were a tricky animal to catch, being part way between a crab and a rabbit. So they move sideways but in a sort of hopping motion, and you had to watch out for thier claws. As they jumped along the beach they let out a cheery cry, a bit like the Oooooh before the Aaaahh when you are watching fireworks.

Because of the claws and and the hopping many a Tuvaluan lost thier fingers to a Boggis, and that was thier weaving days over (There were pretty much only two industries on Lolua, weaving and collecting Guano...and let me tell you, the Guano wasnt anybodies first choice!)

So the best way to catch them was a cunning trap made of large coconut shells, vine, a pile of thorny leaves and the rest. I imagine you can visualise it so no need to go into detail. But as the Boggis would come along, jump onto the thorny leaves and spring faster in the air than it could control. There it banged its head on the hollowed out coconut, which came down on top of it, trapping it for the canny hunter to collect at lesuire

BUT WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH YOUR NAME? I hear you, i hear you.
Well, as the Boggis hit the top of the coconut it used to spin round a bit, making the same sort of noise if you put a metal ball in a cup and swirl it round. This came out as a zzzzzzzzzzzlllllllll

So it is in homage to those days, and my poor sister that I put the noise you used to hear while hunting Boggis's to my name as memory of those better days

Ooooooooozzzzzzzzllllll

This is also how I got my name.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »

I'm a doctor, and geek for Greek mythology.

Chiron was taken on the forums I was frequenting, so I went for his pupil.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 05:44:39 pm »

Archetype is just a fun word to say.

Arrrrccccchhhhtype

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 06:21:13 pm »

I used to play Warhammer back in the day. Skaven was the coolest around, so I played those. I met some friends who had ideas for a campaign where you'd create a character that was basically based on you. So we had a super nerfed vampire fledgeling named after one of my friends, a super nerfed skaven engineer based on me and a super buffed High Elf mage who took on armies himself based on the guy who modded the campaign. Now, my name is Kettil, which doesn't sound very skaven-like, so I messed around with the letters, changed the two t's to to k's and Lekkit was born. I've been using the name ever since, and I haven't met anyone who has contested the name.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 06:31:20 pm »
+2

It sounded cool and fit what I was doing.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 06:57:03 pm »

street i live on, not the city i live in...

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:03 pm »
+1

Mine means I was prematurely excited.

I hate when that happens.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:26:07 pm »

I was feeling particularly non-creative when I signed up for iso, and Jim was taken so I added a few extra 'm's.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 12:46:28 am »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:17:04 am by () | (_) ^/ »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 03:30:28 am »
+6

I believe it's a letter of the alphabet.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 05:17:20 am »

Mine is just a rewording of my name: Dave.
It's been with me since my teens when I needed a cool name and not being very creative, I just made it sound Italian.
My friends started calling me this and it stuck.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 07:49:42 am »

My surname is Grujić, and henceforth my nickname is Gruja (pronounced Groo-ya). This came up as an intent to purposely spell it wrong and uniquely.

enquerencia

• Navigator
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 09:11:47 am »

I used to read a lot and I came upon a bit of writing about bullfighting.  En querencia is a Spanish spanish term (like from Spain and not Mexico) that refers to what a bull does during a bullfight when he figures out that he is going to die.  He finds a spot in the ring and tries to force the bullfighter to approach him, rather than charging at him and getting danced around. 

But querencia also refers to a place of comfort or homey-ness in general and might be Mexican as well as Spanish... I'm not a native spanish speaker, and don't really speak that much, aside from words and phrases typically used in a kitchen. I work in a kitchen.

I started using it when I played online games in college because I thought at the time that it meant strictly "in defense," but as I came to understand the phrase better, and as I started liking the way it sounded, I used it for other things.  But still pretty much strictly in the gaming world, and not on the internet at large.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 11:17:12 am »

I came up with it in about 10 years ago (in marching band nonetheless) and have used it ever since. I pronounce it "shnoo", though I'm sure many of you pronounce it in your head "shnow" (rhymes with snow).

Synthesizer

• Bishop
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 04:24:10 am »

I like 80's music. I am a chemical engineer. Name seemed to fit.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 05:35:14 am »
+1

I used to play Warhammer back in the day. Skaven was the coolest around, so I played those. I met some friends who had ideas for a campaign where you'd create a character that was basically based on you. So we had a super nerfed vampire fledgeling named after one of my friends, a super nerfed skaven engineer based on me and a super buffed High Elf mage who took on armies himself based on the guy who modded the campaign. Now, my name is Kettil, which doesn't sound very skaven-like, so I messed around with the letters, changed the two t's to to k's and Lekkit was born. I've been using the name ever since, and I haven't met anyone who has contested the name.

Cool! I always thought your name sounded Skavenish, and I'm glad to hear it is intentionally so!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »
+8

Means either faster than light or for the lose. Depending on how my deck is doing.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 01:11:24 am »
+1

have posted this many other places, but my username here is a typo.

Jotheonah = Jtotheonah = J to the Onah = Jonah

which is my actual first name.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.