Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trusty Steed for 4 Silvers  (Read 3665 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Trusty Steed for 4 Silvers
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:23:44 am »

I just finished a game where I got the Trusty Steed and I realized that I don't think I've ever picked the "gain 4 silvers" option, and I can only remember seeing someone do it once or twice. Is there ever strategic merit in doing so? When?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Trusty Steed for 4 Silvers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:26:26 am »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:40:23 am »

Trusty Steed-Gardens is really hilarious, just saying. It's not super good, but it's nowhere near bad.

I use it sometimes when it starts to approach the end of the game, as the money boost helps sustain your deck. Assuming you're playing mostly BM that is. There's the problem with it reducing the chance of Tournament + Province collision (which is a free Duchy), so I'm not actually sure if that's the right call...

It's hard to justify the Silver option when you could play it for +2 Cards +$2.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:38 am »

I love using Trusty Steed w/ Gardens, the problem with that though is that, by increasing your deck size you're consequently going to pick up your Trusty Steed less and less. When I do pull it off though, it feels awesome. More awesome is the fact that it also cycles through the rest of your deck when you gain those silvers, so you'll access them, and the steed, more quickly. I should try King's Courting a Trusty Steed in such a game. That might be difficult though...

Other than that I guess I don't use that option much because it's a radical change to my deck, and I'm overcautious against those things.

Might be good with Feodum too. Natural instinct.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:28:13 am »
+4

The gain 4 Silvers option is quite underrated. First of all, using your Trusty Steed as nothing more than a single, more flexible Level 2 City just isn't that awesome.

Beyond that, a deck with Trusty Steed may very well be a deck that greened early, in order to match Province to Tournament. In many cases where you have Trusty Steed, you already have Followers, or are suffering Attacks from your opponent's Followers. In both these cases, gaining Silvers is a nice boost to the average $$$ of your hand, because Followers' Estates and Curses really do sap the vitality of your deck. Also, your Tournaments will start getting blocked, and are no longer reliably worth $1, so you do need money.

If you never find yourself hitting "gain 4 Silvers," you're probably underusing the function quite a bit.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 06:01:21 am »

I can say it's rare for me not to play Trusty Steed for 2 cards. The other option varies a lot, though. I think it's +2$ that I use the least. 4 Silvers and a reshuffle is one option I use quite a bit.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:24 am »

I think one problem is that if you have Trusty Steed, you probably have Followers, and if you have Followers, your goal is probably to find and play it as much as you can. +4 silvers interferes with this. However, I've used +4 silvers a lot. It's especially great when you run out of prizes and both players are mired in duchies.

But yeah, a generic +2 cards, +2 actions is weaksauce for a prize.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:08:22 am »
+2

I find it interesting that there are some strategies where you race for a Province and then abandon the Provinces to focus on Dukes or Gardens. Such a dynamic game.

A man has no signature

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 11:26:44 am »

I don't use it super often, but it's a nice bonus when I've already hit the target for the turn. (or expect to after getting the +action)
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 11:56:33 am »

The only thing is you can't play any +draw after taking the silvers...unless you don't want to see your TS for a while.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 01:20:34 pm »

It's very often the first option I pick after gaining a Trusty Steed. Huge boost to your money density, which I'm often pretty bad at managing (kinda why I'm stuck ~Lvl 20 on iso).
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 01:21:34 pm »
+2

I rarely use TS for the silver for a number of reasons:

1. Tournament games are short, and usually Followers has priority.
2. Tournament games favor engines.  The extra silver?  Doesn't help with the engines.
3. Extra silver makes future tournament + province collisions harder.
4. Extra silver makes having province in hand to screw over the opponents turn less likely.

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 01:39:05 pm »

When one has trashed/built a big draw engine (or Tacticianed, it plays similarly IMO) to arrange the Tournament/Province collision, as opposed to just sort of buy Tournament and Province and getting lucky, you will often need to rebuild some extra cash in order to hit some multi-Province turns.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 20 queries.