Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Caught in an infinite loop  (Read 2376 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
Caught in an infinite loop
« on: October 25, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »
+2

Assume an infinite supply with any number of supply piles (you can have more or less than 10 if you wish). Is it possible to play a card such that you will be forced into an infinite loop that you can't escape? What would be happening is you are forced to gain cards, draw them and play them, and it's done in such a way you can never choose to stop it.

Your deck to start the chain can be any fiinite deck, and you can do whatever you wish on your turn before you start the loop.

I haven't personally solved this; this is a thought exercise

Cards that may help/thoughts:
Golem and Throne Room both force you to play action cards. King's Court and Procession do not.
Rogue forces you to gain a card from the trash if there is one within the price range
Remake and Upgrade force you to gain a card costing exactly $1 more than a trashed card.
There are no base cards costing $1,$4 or $7
Remake is the only card which forces to trash more than 1 card, but many single card trashers are not optional
When trash and when gain effects are not optional other than duchess
If Familiar is the only attack card in the supply, you can force yourself to gain a golem by trashing a squire, then remaking, upgrading or developing the Familiar you gain.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:25:29 pm by NoMoreFun »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Caught in an infinite loop
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:47:46 pm »

Thinking a bit harder, I don't think this is doable. There's always enough choice, especially with base cards in the mix.

For the purpose of developing the idea, pretend that contraband prevents gains, and you can black market+contraband as many cards as you like (base cards, cards you want to use to set up the loop that aren't part of it).

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:29:09 pm »
+5

Please don't break isotropic

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:11:30 am »

Herald may be helpful. It's a card that both draws and forcibly plays a card, and it costs $4 so it can be gained with Rogue.

The main obstacle is still the "you may" in Procession. Once there's a card that both forcibly plays a card and trashes it, or a card that trashes multiple cards in play, we can start looping.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 08:12:25 am »
+1

Possession turns all "you may" and "choose one" into forced choices, so KC/KC/Ironworks/Ironworks/Lab with three Highways in play, I am sure that's cheating though!
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.