Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Goko, quite simply, sucks  (Read 28650 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: Goko, quite simply, sucks
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 01:21:10 pm »

You get the coins for free by playing dominion...

That's a good thing too. You might almost recoup enough that you lose because of how often the games fail to load andor lose connection.

Thats my biggest problem is that they aren't using sessions.

However you don't ever lose zaps/coins, it just isn't possible. You lose a match well the zaps you added to that level don't go away they're still there for your retry. I'm wondering if you've actually tried adventure mode/zaps at all.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 01:25:43 pm »
+1

So - goko has a bunch of things that Iso doesn't

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
4. Artificial Intelligence
5. Single Player (its still there - even for guests - you can choose 2,3, or 4 players - but not 5 or 6)
6. Cool 3d avatars
7. A casual leaderboard for people who want to constrain their cards
8. Rewards for playing with your google account.  Iso gives you no such bonus.
9. Adventure mode
10. Far fewer people in lobby - so you don't have to worry about chat spam.

I'm pretty sure Captain_Frisk's tongue is somewhere in his cheek. Though some of these things might enhance gameplay if done right, almost all of the above still have major issues to be worked out or just aren't good ideas in the first place. The AI is bad, Adventure Mode currently sucks, and the leaderboards don't work well. The only thing mentioned here that might be a plus is the official art.

it's about 50/50.  The AI isn't bad.  I've lost to it, and its good for killing time.  Official art is nice.  Adventure mode is strictly better than not having it etc. etc.

For a normal person, goko is reasonable.  With 5960 officially ranked (and probably another 3k from BSW etc.) games, I'm far from a normal user. 

Oh - and the "it's still in beta" excuse is hogwash.  They tried to launch a much worse version as the real deal months ago.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 01:28:24 pm »
+2

* Sinfully ugly. Animations everywhere. Flashing. Stupid design decisions for placement of things. Even if you tell it "very fast" animations. And if you speed up the animations so you can play your turn better, you have an even harder time following what your opponents are doing.
* All but impossible to keep track of what your opponents are doing unless you really want to click the read log button every turn.
At normal speed I think there's plenty of time to see everything your opponents do. Fast is too fast to see what's going on. On very fast however the status line tells you what cards they gained, which is often all you care about, and when you specifically want to know something else there's the log.

* Sounds are terrible.
Well I wouldn't really know. As with all computer games I play, I turn the sounds off and listen to music. As we speak I am listening to That Time by Regina Spektor.

* The UI itself is atrocious.
I think the UI is fine. It has certain specific things that need to be improved, like Wishing Well, and other stuff that could be better, but overall it's fine. At one point it had serious issues but I don't think it does currently. I don't feel like I'm fighting the interface.

* Load times are unbearably long.
* Everything's slow too. When I click to "play treasures" for example, it takes multiple seconds to process.
This could be some combination of, your OS isn't supported yet, your browser isn't supported yet, your internet connection is slow, or you have been on at times when they had server issues. When it's working, with my browser/OS/connection, it plays at a reasonable speed, except for the case of "click on multiple cards" things like Chapel, where it should buffer the set of choices and send them at once.

* No one-player "try things out" option? (Ie, single-seat tables).
I thought there was. I'm not checking.

* Multiplayer "play now" just joins you to the first table, rather than you having a preference of how big a table you want.
* Multiplayer really pushes 6 seat games. Dominion is terrible with that many players; it should default to the real value: 4.
I wouldn't say "really pushes" so much as "allows." There are not many 6-player games being played, so if you insist that it pushes them, man, it is ineffectual at it. It's fair to say that the default shouldn't be 6; if we went by, what will most people be playing, it should be 2.

* Multiplayer lobby is pretty damned fat and ugly. No sorting, filtering...
* This might be because I'm a guest -- is there no option to have the cards NOT show up until the game starts? Blind games are necessary.
* Apparently no restricting of generated kingdoms (why the hell did Goko rename them to "decks" instead of kingdoms?) by sets.
* Or any randomizing by any OTHER criteria ("must include at least 1 reaction" etc).
Better matching, and ways to muck with the set-of-10 without picking the specific cards, are features I expect to show up eventually.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:22 pm »
+1

I understand difficulty levels, but the company sells the zaps for money. It's "pay to win". I don't care if it's adventure mode (which is single player or not). It's NOT kosher to sell, for money, cheats.

$2 for 20 "goko points", which buys 280 coins, which buys 56 zaps.
If all you play is the campaigns and you just crush them, you will actually have a point where you run out of dominion coins that you could have used to buy more campaigns with, so that, if you don't want to play any non-campaign games ever, you would have to spend money on gokoins to buy dominion coins to buy campaigns. If you ever play any non-campaign games though, you will have infinite dominion coins, making campaigns and zaps strictly free. For any normal actual Dominion player, there is really no possibility of spending cash on these things.

Zaps only work in the campaigns (adventures), which are only single-player. Currently the campaigns are too hard (or in a few places, too easy), but that will be fixed. In the end zaps will do two things: 1) give you a choice of set-up conditions, via free zaps, and 2) let you essentially skip a level.

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 01:40:37 pm »
+1

This could be some combination of, your OS isn't supported yet, your browser isn't supported yet, your internet connection is slow, or you have been on at times when they had server issues. When it's working, with my browser/OS/connection, it plays at a reasonable speed, except for the case of "click on multiple cards" things like Chapel, where it should buffer the set of choices and send them at once.
Win7-64 Firefox latest on a major research university pipe. Nope. Goko's just clearly not so good at making things.

Zaps only work in the campaigns (adventures), which are only single-player.
It doesn't matter to me that they only work in single-player adventures -- they're SELLING. cheats. for real money.

Sorry, Mr. V, but they're just not doing good things to your game.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:42:57 pm by slimeball9999 »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 01:41:26 pm »
+3

One issue I don't think I've seen mentioned yet:

Everyone has said that the in-built solution to 6 being the default number of table seats is "You can start a game with empty seats", but what if I want to play a six, or a four player game? How can I tell which games will wait until they're full before they start, and which the host just wants to play a two player game and will start the game before anyone else sits down?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 01:44:15 pm »

One issue I don't think I've seen mentioned yet:

Everyone has said that the in-built solution to 6 being the default number of table seats is "You can start a game with empty seats", but what if I want to play a six, or a four player game? How can I tell which games will wait until they're full before they start, and which the host just wants to play a two player game and will start the game before anyone else sits down?

True. Ideally people won't be lazy and will set it to 2 if they want 2. The other thing is you might host a 6 player game but start it early because it's taking far too long to get full.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 01:47:38 pm »

Win7-64 Firefox latest on a major research university pipe. Nope. Goko's just clearly not so good at making things.
IIRC Firefox is in fact not supported yet. I am using Chrome.

It doesn't matter to me that they only work in single-player adventures -- they're SELLING. cheats. for real money.
It's fair to say that they *intended* to do this. They have not managed it though and are giving up on it. Again, you get Dominion coins for playing, and spend those on zaps. There is an option to buy them for money, but no-one ever would, because you have plenty of Dominion coins without spending money.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 01:53:48 pm »
+3

At normal speed I think there's plenty of time to see everything your opponents do. Fast is too fast to see what's going on. On very fast however the status line tells you what cards they gained, which is often all you care about, and when you specifically want to know something else there's the log.
It would be really useful if you wouldn't have to turn the log on and off each time you want to check it. Having a log box somewhere on the table all the time showing a few latest lines would make it way faster to read.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »
+2

It would be really useful if you wouldn't have to turn the log on and off each time you want to check it. Having a log box somewhere on the table all the time showing a few latest lines would make it way faster to read.

Also - while they have aimed it at ipad resolution (1024 x 768) - it isn't playable on an ipad right now... and most of us are sitting with big juicy monitors.  The extra space could do something like leave the play log up all the time.

If they did that, i'd probably be playing.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 02:01:56 pm »
+1

The other thing is you might host a 6 player game but start it early because it's taking far too long to get full.

But how is that fair to the other three people who've been waiting for the 6 player game to fill? Now they're stuck playing a 4 player game they weren't necessarily interested in.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »
+5

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
5. Single Player (its still there - even for guests - you can choose 2,3, or 4 players - but not 5 or 6)
6. Cool 3d avatars
9. Adventure mode

Pah, my latest game of Mafia has all of those!*

*Some are still in development
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »
+4

Single Player Mafia?  Imagine the WIFOM.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 02:05:16 pm »
+1

Just play it Morgrim style. self hammer! You get a double win for that right?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »
+4

Mogrim7 Style - the upcoming hit video from psy.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 02:11:45 pm »

I have multiple personalities so it gets pretty intense!

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 02:43:17 pm »
+1

If it's part of the rules, then it's not cheating.

Campaign mode is designed to give you a ridiculously easy game at the start of the chapter. You trounce the AI the first few times; if you don't then you had bad luck or bad play and need to face that opponent again anyway.

Then it gets harder. It gets to the point where it's almost impossible to win. You are allowed to customize your deck and your opponent's deck ahead of time. You start off with zaps, and you can gain zaps by playing more Dominion. You could bypass that part with real money if time is a factor.

These are in the rules. This is how campaign mode is played. It'd be cheating if you could somehow change the cards without using zaps. Maybe there's a security hole I don't know about, but I haven't heard of such a thing. Therefore, there is no cheating in campaign mode.

While I disagree that Goko sucks (sure, it needs improvement but "suck" is such a strong word), I can respect most of your points….except this one. It's so full of hyperbole and fearmongering that it's hard to take you seriously. I have to cover up that part of the screen to see the validity in the rest of your post.

Is campaign mode for you? Probably not. It's not my cup of tea either. It passes the time when I don't have the attention to devote to a live game. But screaming about cheats where there aren't any doesn't exactly earn a lot of respect, especially since it looks like you created this account for the intent of ranting.

A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 02:45:31 pm »
+1

Ok, imagine there is no Adventure mode (like on Iso or the knockoffs)

Would Goko suck more? Or suck less?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
6. Cool 3d avatars
9. Adventure mode

Heh, nice CF.  Now get your tongue out of your cheek. :p
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »

These are in the rules. This is how campaign mode is played. It'd be cheating if you could somehow change the cards without using zaps. Maybe there's a security hole I don't know about, but I haven't heard of such a thing. Therefore, there is no cheating in campaign mode.
Goko [the company] has it built into the game for people to pay money to win at it. That puts them in the same pits as Zynga and co. "Pay to win" (single player or not) is bad. I want nothing to do with a company that has that as part of its business model. This is indeed a separate issue from Dominion.Goko [the game] being rubbish.

Ok, imagine there is no Adventure mode (like on Iso or the knockoffs) Would Goko suck more? Or suck less?
It would suck just the same.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 02:56:23 pm »

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
6. Cool 3d avatars
9. Adventure mode

Despite understanding the tongue-in-cheek nature of this, I still want to get an explanation for #5. Iso does have single player; and I'm not sure what you mean by "you can choose 2, 3 or 4 players - but not 5 or 6"... both Goko and Iso allow 1-6 players; I think Iso also allows 7 and 8...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 02:57:37 pm »

Single player is different from solo play ibelieve he means, in the same way you cN play warcraft 2 against AI

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 02:58:11 pm »

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
6. Cool 3d avatars
9. Adventure mode

Despite understanding the tongue-in-cheek nature of this, I still want to get an explanation for #5. Iso does have single player; and I'm not sure what you mean by "you can choose 2, 3 or 4 players - but not 5 or 6"... both Goko and Iso allow 1-6 players; I think Iso also allows 7 and 8...

He means that if you have the table set to 5 or 6 on goko single player doesn't work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.