Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Goko, quite simply, sucks  (Read 28737 times)

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Goko, quite simply, sucks
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:50:35 am »
+3

As a long-time Isotropic player (and not one who wins lots of games, has a high rating, etc)... Goko sucks. I can say with certainty not only will I not be paying for it, I won't even be using its free features.

* Sinfully ugly. Animations everywhere. Flashing. Stupid design decisions for placement of things. Even if you tell it "very fast" animations. And if you speed up the animations so you can play your turn better, you have an even harder time following what your opponents are doing.
* All but impossible to keep track of what your opponents are doing unless you really want to click the read log button every turn.
* Sounds are terrible. Too many of them (really, a "shuffle deck" sound). And the few useful ones ("It's your turn!") are annoying. Background music? (Yes, I know there are options for it -- but sound is currently binary all on or off.)
* The UI itself is atrocious. I really have to click "done" before it lets me play treasures? Why are there no hover context menus to show cards instead of me having to click on it? (I know clicking's there for so-called 'mobile' compatibility -- but no reason to not include mouseovers).
* Load times are unbearably long.
* Everything's slow too. When I click to "play treasures" for example, it takes multiple seconds to process.
* No one-player "try things out" option? (Ie, single-seat tables).
* Multiplayer "play now" just joins you to the first table, rather than you having a preference of how big a table you want.
* Multiplayer really pushes 6 seat games. Dominion is terrible with that many players; it should default to the real value: 4.
* Multiplayer lobby is pretty damned fat and ugly. No sorting, filtering...
* This might be because I'm a guest -- is there no option to have the cards NOT show up until the game starts? Blind games are necessary.
* Apparently no restricting of generated kingdoms (why the hell did Goko rename them to "decks" instead of kingdoms?) by sets.
* Or any randomizing by any OTHER criteria ("must include at least 1 reaction" etc).

It's really an embarrassment to Don X's name that such an elegant game gets such a shoddy official digital release.

Constructive criticism? I can't really say that it does anything well...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:00:10 pm by slimeball9999 »

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: Goko, quite simply, sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:03:10 pm »

It's beta so a lot of things your complaining about are being worked on.

There is no push to 6 player at all.
There is a single player mode
Make the rating system pro to have the kingdom not show up
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:04:36 pm »

Where is this single player mode? I've not found it. "Make the rating system pro to have the kingdom not show up" is stupid. Look at the games in the lobby, how many of them are 6-seats. That it's in the create a game UI as an equal option to 2/3/4 players is pushing it.

Nothing says its beta when I go to the site... Looks live to me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:08:05 pm by slimeball9999 »

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:11:42 pm »

Where is this single player mode? I've not found it. "Make the rating system pro to have the kingdom not show up" is stupid. Look at the games in the lobby, how many of them are 6-seats. That it's in the create a game UI as an equal option to 2/3/4 players is pushing it.

Nothing says its beta when I go to the site... Looks live to me.

It says beta on the goko banner and a few other places.
When u make the table there is 6 black squares at te bottom. The number of them surrounded in red is the number of players click the top left box for one player. The pro mode is fine jus select it when making your game. And the lobby being mostly 6 players if either because others want 6 player games or are too lazy to limit the number of slots in their game
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:21:07 pm »

Maybe you haven't played lately: "beta" exists under banner. No ability to click that square for a single-seat game exists. Game should default to 4 and not 6.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »

Maybe you haven't played lately: "beta" exists under banner. No ability to click that square for a single-seat game exists. Game should default to 4 and not 6.

Where are you playing? goko.com has beta right beside the banner.

Yes it defaults to 6 but have you tried making a 6 table you can start with as few as 2 people at the table.

That said it looks like they have at some point removed the single player play that was available in the private beta.

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:27:05 pm »

I'd been linked directly to dominion.goko.com. In that way, there's no indication of it being beta. At any rate, all of the above criticisms still hold true.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:29:25 pm »

Making something the default option should count as pushing it. The default should be something reasonable. (6 for unranked, 4 for casual, 2 for pro?)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 12:34:31 pm »

Making something the default option should count as pushing it. The default should be something reasonable. (6 for unranked, 4 for casual, 2 for pro?)

On this front I disagree, if you had to wait for 6 players to start then that would totally be pushing 6 but at a 6 man table you can hit play once another player sits down.

(That said the delay for play all treasures is bad, it was less bad in the private beta. ) Additionally Iso is still up and doesn't have any notice about going down so theres that.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »
+5

So - goko has a bunch of things that Iso doesn't

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
4. Artificial Intelligence
5. Single Player (its still there - even for guests - you can choose 2,3, or 4 players - but not 5 or 6)
6. Cool 3d avatars
7. A casual leaderboard for people who want to constrain their cards
8. Rewards for playing with your google account.  Iso gives you no such bonus.
9. Adventure mode
10. Far fewer people in lobby - so you don't have to worry about chat spam.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 12:36:40 pm »
+1

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
5. Single Player (its still there - even for guests - you can choose 2,3, or 4 players - but not 5 or 6)

9. Adventure mode

+1

6. Cool 3d avatars

Lashof

• Steward
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:37:22 pm »
+2

6. Cool 3d avatars

I think you can fairly state that Goko has 3d avatars.  Anything beyond that is pushing it.

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 12:48:28 pm »
+1

One more thing: Zaps. I cannot condone a company (goko) that sells cheats. Sure, they're only usable in adventure mode. It's entirely the wrong type of business model, and one I surely do not want to associate with.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »

One more thing: Zaps. I cannot condone a company (goko) that sells cheats. Sure, they're only usable in adventure mode. It's entirely the wrong type of business model, and one I surely do not want to associate with.

Do you never play games that have mulitple difficulties (Easy, Medium, Hard)? Is any difficulty but the hardest cheating?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
6. Cool 3d avatars
9. Adventure mode

Iso has single player. I also can't quite tell if you're being sarcastic. I mean, some of what you listed are good things, but some of them are bad things...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
6. Cool 3d avatars
9. Adventure mode
1: Nominal at best.
2: A downside, as I listed above.
3: A big downside, as I listed above.
4/5: (same thing) Okay, I guess I can give you this one.
6: Doesn't do anything for me.
7: Eh, maybe, sure. "two levels of leader boards". I don't care about leader boards at all, but I can see where one could.
8: A downside. Don't have a Google account; don't care to. Google is evil.
9: Alright, adventure mode. Guests can't try it so I can't comment on it. This might be able to be counted as a positive.
10: I never encountered chat spam in Iso at all. A larger lobby's better, so you might occasionally see any chat at all. Thus, a downside.

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 12:56:04 pm »
+1

Do you never play games that have mulitple difficulties (Easy, Medium, Hard)? Is any difficulty but the hardest cheating?

Reread what I said, please. I cannot condone a company *selling cheats*. Difficulty levels, fine. But selling (consumed when you use it!) cheats? No. Stay away. FAR, FAR away.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:43 pm »
+1

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
6. Cool 3d avatars
9. Adventure mode
1: Nominal at best.
2: A downside, as I listed above.
3: A big downside, as I listed above.
4/5: (same thing) Okay, I guess I can give you this one.
6: Doesn't do anything for me.
7: Eh, maybe, sure. "two levels of leader boards". I don't care about leader boards at all, but I can see where one could.
8: A downside. Don't have a Google account; don't care to. Google is evil.
9: Alright, adventure mode. Guests can't try it so I can't comment on it. This might be able to be counted as a positive.
10: I never encountered chat spam in Iso at all. A larger lobby's better, so you might occasionally see any chat at all. Thus, a downside.

I in no way implied that these things were better.  Just different.  8 and 10 were obvious snarks.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »

Reread what I said, please. I cannot condone a company *selling cheats*. Difficulty levels, fine. But selling (consumed when you use it!) cheats? No. Stay away. FAR, FAR away.

Zaps are the difficulty level for the adventure mode. You can't use them when playing regular Dominion, not adventure mode.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 01:05:03 pm »
+1

Trrrrooolllllllllllllllllllll

Seriously, guys, why are we feeding the troll?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 01:06:59 pm »
+2

Google is evil.

Hey, Google is all BUT evil. It says right so in their motto and everything.

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 01:12:10 pm »

I understand difficulty levels, but the company sells the zaps for money. It's "pay to win". I don't care if it's adventure mode (which is single player or not). It's NOT kosher to sell, for money, cheats.

$2 for 20 "goko points", which buys 280 coins, which buys 56 zaps.

As for Google not being evil... Their motto is to try to convince you otherwise; they're pretty much textbook. (Just like Cracker Barrel -- the restaurant so bigoted that they hang signs by their door that says they're not.

As for trolling, no, not at all. I'm someone who has many legitimate complaints. People aren't used to real criticism anymore.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »

1. Official Art
2. Music
3. Animations
6. Cool 3d avatars
9. Adventure mode

I'm pretty sure Captain_Frisk's tongue is somewhere in his cheek. Though some of these things might enhance gameplay if done right, almost all of the above still have major issues to be worked out or just aren't good ideas in the first place. The AI is bad, Adventure Mode currently sucks, and the leaderboards don't work well. The only thing mentioned here that might be a plus is the official art.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:11 pm »

I understand difficulty levels, but the company sells the zaps for money. It's "pay to win". I don't care if it's adventure mode (which is single player or not). It's NOT kosher to sell, for money, cheats.

$2 for 20 "goko points", which buys 280 coins, which buys 56 zaps.

As for Google not being evil... Their motto is to try to convince you otherwise; they're pretty much textbook. (Just like Cracker Barrel -- the restaurant so bigoted that they hang signs by their door that says they're not.

As for trolling, no, not at all. I'm someone who has many legitimate complaints. People aren't used to real criticism anymore.

You get the coins for free by playing dominion...

slimeball9999

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 01:19:10 pm »

You get the coins for free by playing dominion...

That's a good thing too. You might almost recoup enough that you lose because of how often the games fail to load andor lose connection.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.