Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Computer and Video Games  (Read 67269 times)

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Computer and Video Games
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:38 am »
+1

Yeah, I suppose that is true. There's something extra angry about DOTA, though. I played all sorts of competitive/cooperative games with my friend for years and I never saw him get angry like that. There's something about DOTA that makes everybody feel like they're the best player in the world. It really doesn't help that the difficulty curve is very high and that the game requires a ton of team coordination. It can't be fun to expect teamwork from random public games. My friend wouldn't even apologize for being an ass. "That's just how DOTA is" was his response. F that game.

Revenge is sweet. I kick his ass at Dominion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2012, 10:03:02 am »

You may be right. I've tried DotA a few times, back when I was really into custom maps for WCIII. People always bashed on me, I thought it was because I was new at the game, and didn't really know how to play. Some actually gave me advice on how to improve, but after four or five games, I got fed up. Not only with the players, but mainly with the game itself. I didn't really like it.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2012, 10:23:32 am »

You noobs just suck, DotA is awesome.

(no really, I was never much good at it, but I pretty much like the game.  :))

Toolshed113

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2012, 10:52:30 am »

That's the sad part. I really like the game. I bet it would be really fun in a group of friends playing casually. The eSport aspect of the community just really makes it suck. Maybe we could get some friendly forum Dota 2 matches going...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2012, 10:59:54 am »

dondon: afraid I have you beat.  I played online Pokemon back in gen 2 when it was all on irc, then netbattle.

Damn, well I've still played earlier than anyone else :D I heard gen 2 had an excruciating metagame, though.

Gen 5 UU actually looks fairly solid. It's interesting how a lot of the Pokemon in that tier were OU in gen 3.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2012, 11:10:06 am »

Yeah, SkarmBliss, Curselax, and Toxic/Spike/Sandstorm teams were completely dominant in Gen 2.

On the bright side, this was before EV training was a thing, which made playing the actual game the most irritating thing in the world.  I'm not really against the mechanic in concept, but man, there was a charm to just picking a team, picking their movies, and playing.  The games are too tedious to enjoy at a competitive level for me now.  (However, Gen 5 was easily the best single player game of them all so far)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:14:41 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2012, 12:50:05 pm »

@dondon, I like it more after gen IV because the physical special split was cool. I have been playing since Red/Blue, but actually never competitively. I enjoy reading the theory though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:33 pm »
+2

That's the sad part. I really like the game. I bet it would be really fun in a group of friends playing casually. The eSport aspect of the community just really makes it suck. Maybe we could get some friendly forum Dota 2 matches going...

Maybe try League of Legends? Riot is very active in doing what they can to improve community behaviour.

Toolshed113

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:34 pm »

Maybe try League of Legends? Riot is very active in doing what they can to improve community behaviour.

Oh man, if i did that I would never hear the end of it from my DotA friends.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »

LoL also has a much lower learning curve than Dota.... and what eHalcyon said, Riot wants to be known for having a respectable community that is positive and respectful to other players.  They have been improving this significantly lately by removing toxic players and initiating an honor program based entirely off of player feedback/reporting.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2012, 02:46:41 pm »

...except the honor system doesn't really work because some people get honor that really shouldn't.
The standard joke is that people went from "YOU GUYS SUCK AHAHHAHAHAHA" to "YOU GUYS SUCK GIVE ME HONOR". I'm sure that it works a bit, but it really doesn't seem to matter that much.

Still, it's helpful to play with other new players/bots, and if you can get friends to help you that won't be jerkish, then it can work out.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Toolshed113

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2012, 04:50:33 pm »

I didn't mean to turn this into a DotA topic. Anybody played any recent mmorpgs? I was thinking of trying Guild Wars 2 out. I was also a hardcore FFXI player (get your laughs out now), so I'm actually looking forward to this reboot of FFXIV. That game was so terrible when it launched...

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »

I never play video games any more. Well, I just finished Saint's Row 3, and that was pretty hilarious, and long as you don't expect maturity from your games. I literally laughed out loud when I got trapped inside the text adventure. I wouldn't mind playing some co-op if someone else happens to have it for the Xbox.

Or Left 4 Dead 2 (for Xbox). I don't get to play that enough with people who actually talk.

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2012, 12:29:17 am »

I don't get why people rage on my team in Dota or HoN. I mean I do, because a lot of the win/loss comes down to your team as a whole, but all it does is make you and your team play worse.

I didn't mean to turn this into a DotA topic. Anybody played any recent mmorpgs? I was thinking of trying Guild Wars 2 out. I was also a hardcore FFXI player (get your laughs out now), so I'm actually looking forward to this reboot of FFXIV. That game was so terrible when it launched...

I recently played GW2 and even more recently stopped. GW2 levelling is great, there's no griefing, ganking, or competing for stuff. The quests flow from area to area and there's a lot of jump puzzles and mini fun things to do. The problem is when you reach 80. It'll take a short while to get the best gear, then there's basically no further progression. Pretty much the only things to do at max level are achievements, PvP/World vs World, or 5 man dungeons, and after a certain point the rewards are only cosmetic.

For my money WoW has the best endgame by far, but I've long since gotten sick of raiding. So no more mmos for me [unless they make a Pokemon MMO with real time battles  ;D]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:30:43 am by Saucery »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2012, 04:30:51 am »

I used to play Runescape, and compared to that Riot's community and customer interactions are magically handled. They really do try.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2012, 05:29:29 pm »
+2

It happened with League of Legends, and now it's happening with Halo 4!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »

It happened with League of Legends, and now it's happening with Halo 4!

You might be in for a bad day.  What's the ratio about 950 Halos to one DXV?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2012, 05:32:23 pm »

what's a google alert?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2012, 05:34:22 pm »

I envision a ton of Halo search results soon.  See, for example, this touching infographic Bungie made as a farewell to Halo.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2012, 05:34:51 pm »

what's a google alert?

You can set up an alert for Google to email you whenever it finds a new search result for "___".  I have ones set up for DS, TS, my name, etc.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2012, 05:38:03 pm »
+2

Quick, make a short cut link to the main page and call it 'Not Halo' and we'll all click it tousands of times!

Googlebombing still works right?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2012, 10:30:23 pm »

-snip-

You might be in for a bad day.  What's the ratio about 950 Halos to one DXV?
I think the ratio DXV: theory's name would be much more interesting to know.

VOTE: SFS for fame fishing.
inb4 Robz

Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2012, 01:47:43 pm »

Yeah, SkarmBliss, Curselax, and Toxic/Spike/Sandstorm teams were completely dominant in Gen 2.

I blame the entire thing on Sleep Talk being able to pick Rest.

On the bright side, this was before EV training was a thing, which made playing the actual game the most irritating thing in the world.  I'm not really against the mechanic in concept, but man, there was a charm to just picking a team, picking their movies, and playing.  The games are too tedious to enjoy at a competitive level for me now.  (However, Gen 5 was easily the best single player game of them all so far)

I don't know, EVs are not that tedious to train up in-game, especially when compared to breeding for perfect IVs. They've made all of that slightly easier through the years, but the most tedious introduction was the need to both breed for IVs and nature, when often there was only 1 nature out of 25 possible that you wanted, plus 31's in every IV.

I'd argue that grinding up Stat EXP was more tedious than EV training. EV training you can finish off before a Pokemon reaches L30 (or actually, before L5 if you really tried), whereas you could potentially not have maxed out Stat EXP until long after a Pokemon reaches L100.

@dondon, I like it more after gen IV because the physical special split was cool. I have been playing since Red/Blue, but actually never competitively. I enjoy reading the theory though.

Indeed it was cool, and it was something that I wish that they had in gen 3 because it would have made a lot more Pokemon viable - especially Dark and Fire types - and it would have hampered the stall-ish nature of the metagame, but Stealth Rock did exactly the opposite. The power creep in the introduction of stronger attacks and new Pokemon made it so that it was much harder to be prepared for everything, so some matchups would just come down to luck.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2012, 03:06:10 pm »

I downloaded The Unfinished Swan (for PS3) today from the Playstation Store, and have played about 20 minutes (to the first autosave).  It's starkly beautiful, and a completely new twist on a tried and true mechanic (FPS), though the notion of "shooter" is sort of misleading, as you aren't trying to kill anything, just define your world using a paint gun. It was $15, and I've already gotten $15 worth of value out of it.  It's very easy to play, and the learning curve is about 10 seconds.

The launch trailer is here:
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:34 am »
+1

I downloaded The Unfinished Swan (for PS3) today from the Playstation Store, and have played about 20 minutes (to the first autosave). 

This sounds most intriguing. We just got a new PS3 this weekend, so getting this through the store is a distinct possibility. My wife gets vertigo, which is why she doesn't play FPS. Knowing that she can't play Team Fortress or Halo, how does the Unfinished Swan compare in terms of first-person immersion?

Though I may just buy it for myself and see if it's something that she can handle.

Getting the PS3 also means we now have Assassin's Creed 3. This has motivated me to start playing AC2. It's been three months since I played that POS Assassin's Creed, so I figured the rage has dissipated. Although, it's slowly coming back when the tutorials for AC2 don't tell you which button to press. It just says to press the feet or head button. Yeah, that's great, but I just started this so I don't instantly remember which key is assigned to what. Tell me the freakin' key to press, you choad.

I've been told that AC2's gameplay is far better than the first one, which is why I'm willing to give this a shot.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.