Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Computer and Video Games  (Read 67465 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Computer and Video Games
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 01:39:52 am »

I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forums, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Pokemon games. I've been playing for a long, long time and still love them as much as ever. I just got my copy of the new game (Black 2 and White 2 were just released in the US) and have been playing a ton this week. There is so much more to those games than most people realize.

Some other games I really love are Golden Sun (whole series), Super Smash Bros (whole series though I'm not that great at them), Super Mario Galaxy, Halo, Battlefront, and CoD. I mainly play multiplayer on the fps games, though. Oh and I totally love the quirkiness that is the Warioware series of games.

When I was younger I loved Simcity2000, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and the Yu-gi-oh! games...much cheaper than the actual cards.

I tried to get into Starcraft once but I never had the time to get very good at all. :( I love watching the game being played though.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 01:41:36 am »

Oh! Back when it first came out, I was obsessed with Spore. The concept was so, so awesome to me, even if the gameplay (until space!) ended up being a little mundane. I made zillions of creatures on there.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 01:45:34 am »
+2

As you may guess, I am a super fan of The Legend of Zelda. My favorite is Majora's Mask, though I truly love them all.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 10:03:15 am »
+1

Is anyone else excited for Halo 4?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 10:15:47 am »

I've given up on Zelda games. And Metroid games. The boss fights just annoy the piss out of me.

I already have a thing against boss fights that require you to do a specific routine over and over again. While it happens in Super Mario Galaxy, at least those boss fights tend to be short and are merely annoying speed bumps amid some pretty good gameplay.

The boss fights in Zelda and Metroid, however, not only require you to do a specific routine, but punish you for trying to go outside the box. You have to use your newfound McGuffin to defeat the boss. Instead of being mere speed bumps, they cause the otherwise good gameplay to come to a screeching halt while I start the new game of "Oh, what fresh hell is this new bullshit?"

When I completed Super Metroid and Zelda: Twilight Princess, I promptly sold those games away and have not bought something from those titles since. Maybe they have changed things a bit, but these are Nintendo staples, so I'd be surprised if they did.

I almost gave up on Batman: Arkham City because Solomon Grundy's fight was exactly one of those boss fights. There was another boss fight later that was pretty bad too, but at least the game was overall awesome with boss fights that weren't Zelda-ized.

How my tastes have changed. As a teenager, I didn't mind the repetitive nature of McGuffin boss fights.
A man has no signature

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 10:29:20 am »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:20:58 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:10 am »

<cricket>

I stopped enjoying halo around the same time that I started enjoying call of duty 4. 

I hated getting the drop on someone, start hosing them with my gun, and then have them turn around and kill me because I'm not 13 any more and can't reliably hit everyone in the face.

I'm not an expert level COD player, but with the higher lethality, placement matters a little bit more.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 10:47:11 am »
+1

That's one of the reasons I enjoyed Counter-Strike over other - mostly deathmatch - shooters at the time.

You only had one life and when you died, you had to wait before the round was over to join in again. This made it so you had to be more cautious. Of course you could always get one-shotted in the face with whatever gun, but it was more tactical.
And because you had objectives which could win you the round instead of simply killing the other team.

Another nice idea was your cash. Everyone started the game with a simple pistol and depending on how good you was, you could buy better guns and armor. So you could make tactical choices for your gun as well: do I want to snipe or rush?
It wasn't like: Let's all rush to that Rocket Launcher spawn point.

Very refreshing at the time.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 11:19:59 am »

Yep, pre-ordered and this weekend offcourse watching the pro's on MLG!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 12:07:33 pm »

I've given up on Zelda games. And Metroid games. The boss fights just annoy the piss out of me.

I already have a thing against boss fights that require you to do a specific routine over and over again. While it happens in Super Mario Galaxy, at least those boss fights tend to be short and are merely annoying speed bumps amid some pretty good gameplay.

The boss fights in Zelda and Metroid, however, not only require you to do a specific routine, but punish you for trying to go outside the box. You have to use your newfound McGuffin to defeat the boss. Instead of being mere speed bumps, they cause the otherwise good gameplay to come to a screeching halt while I start the new game of "Oh, what fresh hell is this new bullshit?"

When I completed Super Metroid and Zelda: Twilight Princess, I promptly sold those games away and have not bought something from those titles since. Maybe they have changed things a bit, but these are Nintendo staples, so I'd be surprised if they did.

I almost gave up on Batman: Arkham City because Solomon Grundy's fight was exactly one of those boss fights. There was another boss fight later that was pretty bad too, but at least the game was overall awesome with boss fights that weren't Zelda-ized.

How my tastes have changed. As a teenager, I didn't mind the repetitive nature of McGuffin boss fights.

Well, I don't know your preferences, but I'd say you gave up on Zelda at the wrong time. I like Twilight Princess, but for me it is certainly the weakest console Zelda game. I think you might enjoy Skyward Sword. The game gives you exquisite control over your sword, and there are a few bosses you have to defeat with swordplay. So I would say the boss fights are more novel. (Although there is one super annoying, repetitive boss that you fight 3 times...)

I like Zelda games for their landscapes, music, art, story, themes and sense of wonder. Your right that the boss fights are definitely among the weaker elements.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 12:33:13 pm »

Well, I don't know your preferences, but I'd say you gave up on Zelda at the wrong time. I like Twilight Princess, but for me it is certainly the weakest console Zelda game. I think you might enjoy Skyward Sword.

I'll keep that title in mind when I'm out shopping for a new game. Thanks.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »

I know that there is at least one Zelda game that really allows you to be creative during boss fights and kill with several different strategies.  Maybe Oracle of Ages.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2012, 12:50:58 pm »

I loved Skyward Sword, but I didn't like travelling in it, the senseless flying from A to B was very repetitive.
Didn't mind the boss fights that much.

Anyway, I always start the game like: "I'm gonna get every secret"
And halfway through: "Okay, I just wanna finish it"

"A Link to the Past" is the best for me and I've completed it a couple of times with a SNES Emulator.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 12:58:55 pm »

I loved Skyward Sword, but I didn't like travelling in it, the senseless flying from A to B was very repetitive.

"A Link to the Past" is the best for me and I've completed it a couple of times with a SNES Emulator.

Yeah, the flying was pretty obnoxious, especially because the open sky was a fairly uninteresting area. I think they were going for something akin to the Great Sea in Wind Waker, but they just didn't make the sky nearly as fleshed out and interesting.

I did really like the Skyloft, Link's home town, though. Probably my friend Zelda town since Clocktown in Majora's Mask. And the areas beneath the clouds were really cool, in my opinion. I loved the feel of the desert area.

I'm a video game completist, so I can't rest until I find and do everything.

A Link to the Past is really good, and decently challenging, even on replays. I beat it every other year or so.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2012, 01:02:49 pm »

There was a Zelda marathon once in Holland where they played all the games (up to, but not yet including Skyward Sword) and tried to raise money for the Heart Foundation.

Was really cool to watch them play through the games and chat with them through their ustream (or something like that).
I hope they do it again next year.

Edit: I just found out they held another marathon a week ago, makes me very sad I missed it.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:05:31 pm by Davio »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 01:05:25 pm »

We've done a few game marathons as well. None for charity, but all for the funsies. We haven't played the games in chronological order, or even one at a time, but it's still really fun to try to beat all the Final Fantasy games (this was just before FFXIII) in 4 days. You are pretty tired in the end.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 01:22:03 pm »

We've done a few game marathons as well. None for charity, but all for the funsies. We haven't played the games in chronological order, or even one at a time, but it's still really fun to try to beat all the Final Fantasy games (this was just before FFXIII) in 4 days. You are pretty tired in the end.

I have mixed feelings about Final Fantasy. I never finished VII or VIII (which is odd for me), but I enjoyed them. I loved IX. X was very good. X-2 was meh. I disliked XII. I despised XIII.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »

I have mixed feelings about Final Fantasy. I never finished VII or VIII (which is odd for me), but I enjoyed them. I loved IX. X was very good. X-2 was meh. I disliked XII. I despised XIII.

I am a long time fan of the series.  I love all of the first ten on some level, though they have their ups and downs.  After Sakaguchi and Uematsu left, the series became something completely different.  I like Final Fantasy XIII's new combat system a lot, but I hate MMOs and FFXII plays too much like a western RPG for my tastes.   Of course, one of the strengths of the series is that it is always willing to evolve for better or worse, so there is always hope for the next one. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2012, 01:30:21 pm »

I gave up on FFXIII after 3 straight hours of running down a hallway, and then rapidly pressing "auto-battle" during combat.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »

I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forums, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Pokemon games. I've been playing for a long, long time and still love them as much as ever. I just got my copy of the new game (Black 2 and White 2 were just released in the US) and have been playing a ton this week. There is so much more to those games than most people realize.

As much as I love Pokemon, it is far too easy and Gamefreak never deviates from the tried and true formula of game design. Your goal is the same in every game, and to make matters worse, Pokemon has been becoming far more linear in every iteration of the game after gen I.

It's no coincidence that my favorite Pokemon game is Colosseum because the difficulty curve in that game is very high (actually a little too high). The only gripe that I have with Colosseum is that it forces you into the double battle format but doesn't give you very many tools at all that would be effective in the double battle format - having moves like Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Rock Slide, Surf, Icy Wind, etc. more available with more Pokemon that could learn Fake Out, Helping Hand, Earthquake, Eruption, Water Spout, etc. with synergistic double battle abilities would have been great, but alas...

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2012, 01:39:14 pm »

I gave up on FFXIII after 3 straight hours of running down a hallway, and then rapidly pressing "auto-battle" during combat.

Once you get past the first few tutorial chapters, it really starts getting complex.  Probably has the most challenging combat in the entire series.  I'll concede that the beginning of the game is not very exciting, though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2012, 01:40:58 pm »

Has anyone here played the Dynasty Warriors series? It's my guilty pleasure video game series, because I recognize that they are repetitive and highly flawed, and every subsequent installment after the 5th one has disappointed me with its gaping problems... but I still keep buying them.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2012, 02:43:49 pm »

Yeah, the flying was pretty obnoxious, especially because the open sky was a fairly uninteresting area. I think they were going for something akin to the Great Sea in Wind Waker, but they just didn't make the sky nearly as fleshed out and interesting.

I did really like the Skyloft, Link's home town, though. Probably my friend Zelda town since Clocktown in Majora's Mask. And the areas beneath the clouds were really cool, in my opinion. I loved the feel of the desert area.

A Link to the Past is really good, and decently challenging, even on replays. I beat it every other year or so.

I was really excited for Skyward Sword and beat it relatively quickly after it came out, but something just felt off about it to me. I love the Zelda series, but SS just didn't have the sense of an immersive world with lots to explore that most of the other games do. Everything just felt too directed and hand-holdy (Fi was almost enough to ruin the game on her own for me). In Ocarina for example, you have Navi vaguely bugging you about what to do next, but there's plenty of opportunity to say "screw off Navi, I'm gonna see what's over here instead." Or in Majora the mask-collecting is like an entire other optional game within the game. But in SS, there was hardly ever anything to do besides just "what's next."

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2012, 03:34:39 pm »

I love talking about FF games because everybody has a different opinion. My feelings of the games are rooted heavily in nostalgia. Since my gaming really started in the SNES era, VI and IV are my favs. IX and XII are close behind. I liked the lighthearted tone of those games and I feel they had really great battle systems. VII is good, but somewhat overrated. XIII was an interesting and well made game, but I feel that the game was hurt by a lack of NPCs to interact with (let alone the complete lack of towns). I don't really understand the "walking through a tunnel" complaint because one of the most popular games in the series (X) was almost as linear (there were just more diversions along the way). Don't even get me started about VIII. Hands down the worst game in the series, except for its music... "The Man with the Machine Gun" is probably the greatest battle theme ever written.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2012, 03:38:32 pm »

I was really excited for Skyward Sword and beat it relatively quickly after it came out, but something just felt off about it to me. I love the Zelda series, but SS just didn't have the sense of an immersive world with lots to explore that most of the other games do. Everything just felt too directed and hand-holdy (Fi was almost enough to ruin the game on her own for me). In Ocarina for example, you have Navi vaguely bugging you about what to do next, but there's plenty of opportunity to say "screw off Navi, I'm gonna see what's over here instead." Or in Majora the mask-collecting is like an entire other optional game within the game. But in SS, there was hardly ever anything to do besides just "what's next."

Well, Fi was awful. I also thought the story was too delayed, though it was good when it finally came through.

I felt fairly immersed in the desert, forest, and mountain areas though. I really liked the forlorn feeling of the desert, and the robots with whom you could only communicate if you traveled 100 years into the past.

But I do think OOT and MM are better, including for the reasons you mentioned.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.