Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  All

Author Topic: Computer and Video Games  (Read 67528 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Computer and Video Games
« Reply #250 on: May 18, 2013, 02:29:33 am »

I've actually never used her at all.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 18, 2013, 03:25:35 am »

Well, I wouldn't use Myrrh in endgame if I hadn't trained her at all before it. Her defence and offence are pretty awful at low levels, but she gains stats quickly. If I want to use her I'll try and get her to level 10ish ASAP.

But that chapter is still pretty ridiculous. Equip everyone with sacred twins, you now have an army with nothing but 30-40 might weapons against still easy enemies. Even Lyon    goes down pretty easily - you can kill him in one turn actually without too much difficulty IIRC.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2013, 05:46:00 pm »

Of course it's possible given the tools that you have at that point, but Lyon has an absurd amount of defense. Actually, most bosses in FE8 are very strong relative to normal enemies. I had to rig a 6% Pierce on Lyon in 0% growths in order to 3-turn the first part of Final (on top of attacking twice with Duessel).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:47:58 pm by dondon151 »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2013, 02:10:30 am »
+4

This must be what reading Dominion Strategy is like for people who haven't played Dominion before.

The only turn based RPG I've played is FFTA. I played a bit of Disgaea, but lost interest pretty quickly.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2013, 12:55:59 pm »
+3

This must be what reading Dominion Strategy is like for people who haven't played Dominion before.

I played one game of dominion with really weird rules misconceptions*, then read the DS blog and forums for two months with no idea what anybody was talking about, and then started playing isotropic. I get obsessed like that. This feels about the same, minus the obsession.

*One of which was that you could just trash cards whenever you like. Somehow no one noticed how this makes torturer really bad. Also if you had no cards left in your deck (but some in the discard) you became immune to saboteurs. It was weird.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2013, 04:50:51 pm »

So who likes RPGs? I've been playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time lately and I'm loving it. I was surprised by the more straight high fantasy setting because most of the more recent games in the series have gone in a more sci-fi direction that I never really dug. This is great though if you like daring thieves, noble knights, and princesses in disguise.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2013, 05:01:39 pm »

So who likes RPGs? I've been playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time lately and I'm loving it. I was surprised by the more straight high fantasy setting because most of the more recent games in the series have gone in a more sci-fi direction that I never really dug. This is great though if you like daring thieves, noble knights, and princesses in disguise.

Most of the games I play are JRPGs.  I liked FFIX a lot back when it came out, though now the brutal load times have tarnished the game for me.  Still, it's really fantastic on the first playthrough, that's for sure.  I too wish that Final Fantasy would go back to (mostly) swords and sorcery, but at least there's always Dragon Quest.

Currently I am playing Ni No Kuni.  It's way too simplistic, but so pretty that I keep playing it.  Definitely recommended if you like the genre and have a PS3 though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2013, 05:19:04 pm »

Me! Currently replaying Jade Empire on the Jade Master difficulty. Great game despite the camera issues. I'm also a huge fan of the Aveyond series. Out of those, Aveyond I is probably my favorite and Ahriman's Prophecy is a close second. The rest are very good, too.

And then there's always Conquer Online, which I sometimes play actively and sometimes don't.

Do visual novels count as RPGs?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:20:39 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2013, 05:36:25 pm »

That's not really what I had in mind, no.

jsh: I enjoyed Dragon Quest IX quite a bit. Do you have any recommendations about which other ones are most worth playing?
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #259 on: July 02, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »

DQIX is very much a beginner's entry in the series.  A lot of the challenge was toned down to focus on post game and multiplayer.

8 is the best game in the series in my opinion and the one I'd most readily recommend.  It was (like 9) developed by Level 5 and they did a great job putting a modern touch on the series.  The game has the most memorable characters in the series and a simple but effective skill system.

I really like 7, but it's over a hundred hours long and more for hardcore fans.  This game is for exploration nuts.  You save towns in the past, then revisit them in the future and slowly rebuild the entire world.  It's tedious, but worth it if you're in to that kind of thing.  If you want a more scaled down version of the same idea, I highly recommend playing Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma for the SNES instead.  If you still want to play 7, I'd wait for the 3DS version (and hope we get it outside of Japan)

4 and 5 are both pretty easy to get in to and are both wonderful games.  4's got a split narrative among 8 party members who all come together eventually.  It was an NES game, so it's not very deep story-wise, but the gameplay has a great difficulty curve.  5 is the second-easiest game in the series after 9 and it has a story based around a boy who grows in to a man, gets married and has kids by the end.  You really get attached to him throughout the game, and it is a lot of DQ fans' favorite entry in the series.  Both of these games were released on the DS, though they might be hard to find.  I prefer those ports.

3 is also great.  It's very open-ended in the middle portion, making it feel somewhat like the original Legend of Zelda or the second half of Final Fantasy VI.  The plot is bare bones NES stuff, but in the older games all you care about is the challenge anyway.  It has the same job system as DQIX (a little bit simpler) and much more challenging enemies.  I recommend playing the Super Famicom port with a translation patch.

I don't care for the first two games, and 6 is a bit of a black sheep (though it's a good game).  They aren't ones I'd recommend until you've played other games in the series.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:04 pm »

I would most highly recommend the games of Spiderweb Software, a small three-person company which does absolutely brilliant work.
Their games have:
-Great storylines, especially the newer ones. The older ones are more open-ended though, so you might prefer that.
-Important Non-Combat stuff: The players decisions outside of combat make a huge impact on how the story ends up. These decisions range from tricking two people on the island who are as strong as you into killing each other to not using too many of the items which give you great power, and great insanity.
-Pretty fun combat stuff too, with adjustable difficulty levels. The hard ones are like, hard, and the normal one is fun. Casual is a breeze.

So yeah, the best game they have is Geneforge I, although it is a bit dated. If you are looking for something more up to date, try Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

Also of great import: They have really big free demos to try! Try them! They are fun!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2015, 07:36:22 pm »

I just finished playing Silent Hill 2 for the first time. It's kind of interesting to see that survival horror works incredibly well even with badly outdated graphics and such, yet the genre itself has evolved significantly since then. There were times when I could have just moved on in the game, but instead I just felt like running around in a town full of monsters because I knew that there would be bullets and health drinks that I could pick up, because I knew that the monsters couldn't catch me if I ran, and then there were times when I knew I could have just ran away from the monsters, but instead I just felt like killing them because it was completely safe and rather entertaining; partially because the monsters were dumb so I could just kill them with the weakest melee weapon without even getting hit, and partially because I had picked up all of those bullets and health drinks that I hardly ever ended up using. And the camera was so frustrating. But the story was excellent, the music was excellent, the soundscape was excellent, and the atmosphere was excellent. This goes without saying, but if you haven't played it yet, you should.

In any case, I want to play Silent Hill 3 now, but it's apparently a direct sequel to Silent Hill 1. Can I get away with just watching the movie adaptation of Silent Hill 1?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2015, 04:31:00 am »

I'm actually (re)playing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Survival horror fps is fun, I also enjoyed the F.E.A.R. series.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:59 am »
+2

Two of my favourite games of all times are Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country 2. Shortly after that follow Super Metroid, Blazblue - Calamity Trigger, Minecraft and Kirby Superstar. I also really liked Roller Coaster Tycoon (now that it was mentioned recently) and i am playing Super Smash Bros for Wii U like a maniac recently (friends, i need more friends!). Honorable mention goes to Metal Slug 3.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2015, 11:00:06 am »

So who likes RPGs?

Like... Earthbound? That's the only RPG i played and really liked, actually. Then again, i recently tend to defend myself against games that i know would take too much of my free time away. Not that I'm successful with that.

Shame on me, but the only Square-Enix games i massively played were Kingdom Hearts I & II. Is that what you call guilty pleasure?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.