Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Computer and Video Games  (Read 67482 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Computer and Video Games
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:44:45 am »

I guess I'm not the only one here who enjoys a good electronic game every once in a while. Before I found Dominion I played a lot of NDS games. I'm not saying Dominion was the reason I stopped playing a lot of electronic games. A week ago me and my girlfirend picked up our NDS and continued playing the Ace Attorney series. That made me think that there are probably a lot of people here who would ejoy those. So I thought about starting a game recommendation thread.

So the games I currently would recommend are these:

The Ace Attorney series (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - NDS/Wii/iOS, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All - NDS/Wii, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - NDS/Wii and Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - NDS).

These games are seriously good! I mean it. Seriously! If you've even considered joining a game of mafia here on the forums, you will most likely enjoy these games. The basics of the game is that you are a defense attorney, assigned different clients in different murder cases. You go about talking to people, investigating crime scenes and snoop around for evidence. This is done in a more dialogue oriented style, reminding of old classic point and click games, such as Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island and other Lucas Arts games. When you've found enough information it's time to head to the courtroom where you have to find contradiction in witnesses' testimonies and prove that people are lying. All while reading VERY WELL written dialogue. This series is originaly in Japanese, but the translation is REALLY good. Sometimes it feels kind of odd with japanese culture all over the place, when it's set in North America. But besides that, there's a lot of really good, bad and funny puns, enjoyable characters and a lot of warm humor. It's not an action packed series, but games in the department visual novels. Which describes the games pretty well. It's like an interactive novel, where you get to solve the crime. The music is also really good. A lot of really good tracks through all of the games. If you have an Apple device/anything else that can play this game, play it!

Another game that I really have been enjoying lately is Dark Souls (XBOX 360/PS3/PC). It's an action game, where you die. A lot. It's really skill intensive and if you are not careful you die. A lot. First time playing it I died four times during the tutorial. Before you get the hang of it you will die. A lot. But the feeling you get when you finally defeat the boss you've been trying to kill for the last 5 hours is really great. And there's a lot of content in this game. My first playthrough, it lasted me 60 hours. I have played it for about 60 additional hours after that, trying different builds, different weapons and different routes to different places. Before you go out and buy/rent/whatever this game, this game is not for the faint hearted. Just do a YouTube search for Dark Souls frustration, and you get what I mean. It's a really rewarding though, and once you get better at it, learn the different enemies' patterns you'll die a lot less and feel really good about it. Also, a lot of the bosses are really epic and it feels really nice to fight them. I can think of three boss fights that seems really unfair at first, but in the end, I think that only one of them is actually a not so good boss fight. Anyways, if you like a challenge or like yell at your screen when playing games, give this game a spin.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Computer and Video Games
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:52 am »
+1

I agree on Ace Attorney--I have played lots of Adventure games and VNs, and I honestly think (at least for the first three games; it went downhill after that) it is the best in its genre.  The localization does a great job removing some of the Japanese cultural references that would have otherwise been an entry barrier while still maintaining the feel of the game. Ace Attorney 3 is one of my favorite games of all time: five great cases, excellent conclusion to the series, and overall the best music of the three games.

Can't really know where to begin recommending stuff here... in the last thread it seemed like the majority of Dominion players are more in to RTS/strategy/simulation games, which I know little about as I have devoted the most play time to Japanese RPGs.  I enjoy playing video games alone for the most part and I also prefer games with a unique artistic style (ala Yoshi's Island or Earthbound).  Music is also very important to me in games.

Here is a list of (largely out of date) write-ups about my favorites.  http://rateyourmusic.com/list/jsh357/favorite_video_games

I guess if I had to recommend two games out of those to PC gamers, it'd be the Thief series and Little King's Story.  Both fantastic, undervalued games in their genres. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:35:05 am »

I'm sure I made a topic about this in the past.... ???

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48:25 am »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:50:44 am by Lekkit »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:03:30 am »

It's nice to have an 'update' topic every now and then though :)

I've stopped playing TF2, for example, since it was starting to take up too much free time.  Any free time I had, the easy solution was just to boot up TF2, and then it would just expand to fill all of that free time.  So now I occupy myself with Orcs Must Die 2, which is a nice coop tower defense game with a twist.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:30:58 am »
+1

I've seen Orcs Must Die show up a lot on Steam. I haven't checked it out yet.  I do enjoy tower defense games, though.

For a while, I got sucked back into TF2 with the Mann vs Machine update. Speaking of tower defense, that's kind of how I view MvM. Of course, it looks more like a tower defense with engineers, but there are plenty of similarities: Pyros camp around the front, Snipers camp in a defensible position, Heavies camp next to a dispenser, etc.

Hell, I started playing regular TF2 again so I could earn achievements and get some of the gear upgrades. Nobody cares if you can uber in MvM. They want the Kritzkrieg!

But, TF2 has fallen to the wayside. I now have XCOM – Enemy Within. I held off on buying this game, since refitting classic games has usually been negative. I downloaded the demo and found all those things that made me love XCOM in the first place. I bought it the same day I completed the demo.

Although, now that I've gotten used to the awesomeness of the game, the nitpicks stand out more for me. Sometimes I can't position a soldier correctly unless I rotate the camera. I've had my rage moments when I realize that what I clicked on was not the same spot I wanted the soldier to go to. And it drives me nuts that the save games aren't sorted in chronological order, though I guess I could fix that by stopping being a pussy and just play on Ironman mode.

If you liked the original XCOM, then this one is for you. It's updated and fixes some of the issues from the first game (like the fixed camera). If you're under 25, then check out the game anyway and see what kept some of us glued to the monitor 18 years ago. Demo is free.
A man has no signature

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:15:29 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:47:27 pm »
+2

I'll through a vote out there for

FTL.  Totally worth it.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 04:51:55 pm »
+4

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:15:12 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 05:35:10 pm »

Nowadays I don't really have time for large games, Diablo III has been gathering dust on my hard drive, so I just play Wordfeud using the app for Windows 8.

Due to a work license, I've been able to use Win 8 RTM for a couple of weeks now and it's decent although the Metro UI won't please everyone. I just use my desktop all the same.

But if you're using Win 7 and have to pay for your copy, there's really no need to run to the store tomorrow, it's not that groundbreaking for laptops/PCs, nor is it really "necessary".

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:29 pm »
+1

For computer games: Age of Empires (AOE) is very good. Own the entire series and play it often. Sid Meier's Civilization is pretty awesome too.

I'm also pretty sure pops is a big fan, judging by his Avatar. :P

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 08:30:08 am »
+3

If you want computer games, go to armorgames.com.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 08:46:32 am »
+1

I've been yearning for the PC games of my youth lately: X-Wing, Myst, Civilization, Monkey Island. The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. Chip's freaking Challenge. Steam often feeds my nostalgia craze, but I need to get a real computer if I want to play Myst.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 08:46:54 am »

Warlords! Anybody play those games?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 08:48:08 am »

Joth, have you tried Castaway 2? Its really good. And I play Warlords.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 08:49:18 am »
+1

Oh, and Chips Challenge. I love that game. It certainly is...a challenge.

Mad, I tell you.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 08:51:13 am »

I'll check it out. I was just remembering how my Dad used to be obsessed with Civilization I, and one time my cousin came to visit us, hacked into the code, and reprogrammed the diplomacy dialogue for all the ambassadors. Made it super anachronistic and just ridiculous. My Dad was pissed, but also we all found it pretty hilarious.

He/him

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 09:16:49 am »

Oh, and Chips Challenge. I love that game. It certainly is...a challenge.

Woah yes I remember that, brilliant it was
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 11:26:21 am »

For computer games: Age of Empires (AOE) is very good. Own the entire series and play it often. Sid Meier's Civilization is pretty awesome too.

Well, at least I am :) Playing a lot of AoE2 online, on Voobly. Love the game ::)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 03:59:58 pm »

I've been yearning for the PC games of my youth lately: X-Wing, Myst, Civilization, Monkey Island. The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. Chip's freaking Challenge. Steam often feeds my nostalgia craze, but I need to get a real computer if I want to play Myst.

Oh, you have got to check out GOG (http://www.gog.com/). It has quite the collection of old-school games. I bought Planescape: Torment there because my friends raved about it, and I did not play when it came out (at the time, I was on an anti-D&D kick, so I ignored everything D&D). It doesn't have all the games you listed, but I presume that there are some older games there that would interest you.

And hey, you even get access to a few free games out there (like Ultima 4).
A man has no signature

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 04:12:48 pm »
+3

I'm a pretty avid Fire Emblem player.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 05:25:18 pm »
+1

It's a Fishing Village! Get it?

I loved the single player on Age of Empires 2, it's good fun.  There's lots of outright goofing off one can do, trying to beat a level with only Monk conversion or something weird.  Much funner than my experience with SC2 single player.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 05:37:59 pm »

Played Age of Empires Online?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 05:50:42 pm »

Played Age of Empires Online?
No, but I've heard it isn't as good as the original. My friends and I used to do LAN games against each other and I've been meaning to check out the online version.

It's a Fishing Village! Get it?

I loved the single player on Age of Empires 2, it's good fun.  There's lots of outright goofing off one can do, trying to beat a level with only Monk conversion or something weird.  Much funner than my experience with SC2 single player.
Oh! I was wondering why you just had a Dock as your Avatar :P At least have like a War Elephant or something.

I love trying to sneak Villagers out of my town to start a new one while 7 AIs are attacking. It's fun until one of them notices your new town, and then they come and kill it too. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.