Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When you reveal (A reaction?)  (Read 1874 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
When you reveal (A reaction?)
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:36:11 am »

I like the idea of a card that does something when it's revealed by another card as a "reaction"
For example
*When you reveal this card, set it aside. Restore it to your hand at the start of your next turn
*When you reveal this card, discard it, and +2 cards/gain a card costing up to 4/trash a card from your hand etc..

The idea is you can never choose to reveal it; it must be revealed by some other card (eg Adventurer, Menagerie, Thief)

Questions:
*Would this card be a "reaction"? (I'm thinking not; it's similar to when gain and when trash)
*Would there be a better way to word it to remove ambiguity?
*What card would you build around this effect?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: When you reveal (A reaction?)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:46:04 am »

Interesting idea, might be too swingy.

For instance, the reaction to a Bureaucrat attack may be to reveal the full hand, but only if the attack fails. In this case you get a possible bonus on top of a failed attack against you.

But then, a Pirate Ship might uncover your two Tunnels.

Also, it must be clarified that implicit revealing (when playing or trashing a card) does not count.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:50:09 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:14:58 am »

Prospector:
Cost: 4
+1 card
Reveal your hand. +1 card for each card that you revealed that isn't a treasure.
---
When you reveal this, gain a Silver.

FAQ: Revealing a card only occurs when a card explicitly asks you to reveal. This may happen when you play a card (eg Menagerie, Adventurer), when another player plays a card (eg Thief). Cutpurse and Bureaucrat will only activate this card if you reveal a hand without Copper or a Victory card respectively. If you reveal this card from the black market deck when you play Black Market, you gain a Silver, regardless of whether you choose to buy the card or not. You may not reveal this card at any time; it must be revealed by some other effect. Playing or trashing a card, is not "revealing" the card. If you play Mine or Moneylender, and reveal your hand to show that you do not have a Treasure or a Copper respectively, you do not gain a Silver as you have not been asked to reveal any cards.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:42:13 am »

I don't think it needs to be a Reaction.

Some of the reactions have reveals, because the opponent needs to know what's going on. You can't just put Horse Traders face down, it doesn't keep you honest that way.

Tunnel is weird, since you reveal it after discarding, but that's just because otherwise when you'd discard a bunch in one go (Cellar) you might be tempted to say "they were 8 Tunnels in there, I swear!"

This card is already being revealed so an opponent can already see it.

I think it's the same as the DA cards which have: When you trash this.
Those cards aren't reactions. You might say: "But what if I trash a bunch of cards in one go with Forge?"
Well, the Trash Pile is open information and every player can look it through at his pleasure to keep you honest. This is unlike your discard pile which you can't browse through or even count; only certain cards explicitly allow you to do this, like Counting House and Philosopher's Stone.

The DA "on-trash" cards aren't necessarily trashers themself, that's what makes them fun.
You could do the same with this card.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:58:41 am »
+1

I don't think it's possible to activate any of the on trash effects with a copy of the same card; the only trasher with an on trash effect is rats, which can't trash other rats.

I personally like self synergy though.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:04:39 am »

I don't think it's possible to activate any of the on trash effects with a copy of the same card; the only trasher with an on trash effect is rats, which can't trash other rats.

I personally like self synergy though.
Well, sure, self synergy is nice, I just wanted to point that it isn't necessary.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.