Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Conlanging  (Read 10001 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Conlanging
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:27 pm »
+1

So, given why we're all here, I think we can accept that we're all pretty nerdy.  One of my nerdiness outlets is conlanging - I've been working on one particular created language for about three and a half years now - I've even got YouTube video lessons (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL11584378F260955E&feature=mh_lolz).  Anyone else also into conlanging, or at least interested in the language I've created?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Conlanging
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:07:31 am »

I don't get it. First of all, why create a new language? There are already more than enough on this planet and a vast majority of them are much more widely used than yours (or any new language), so it's not like anyone's ever going to be using this language. Second of all, I watched the first video on your YT channel (Greetings), and well... It just seems that everything's more complicated than it needs to be for no particular reason. "Here's the word for hello... oh but there's actually this one as well and you have to use one or the other depending on when in the conversation you are speaking". You've got seemingly unpronouncable combinations of letters (Z followed immediately by R). Hell you've even bastardised my own name! "You have to add different letters to the end of your name depending on when you say it" just seems rediculous to me. My name is my name, it does not change whether I am telling you it or you are talking to somebody else about me.

Don't mean to cause any offence and this certainly isn't a dig at your language Dangin Nira in particular. I just don't really 'get' the "I'm creating my own language" thing as a whole. If you do it simply for your own enjoyment, and you do actually have fun doing it, then I'm all for you continuing, but it's not for me. If there's any other reason then I'd certainly be interested in hearing it. Might help me to get whatever it is that I'm missing.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:01:19 am »

Conlanging is fun. I used to be pretty good at Lojban. Feel free to make Lojbanist jokes at my expense.

And that's a weird reply, Thisisnotasmile. You're talking like the entire hobby of conlanging was dreamed up by werothegreat, and implying that he should feel bad that you don't enjoy it. And based on the objections you have to Dangin Nira, real languages would blow your mind.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:23:59 am »
+1

Sorry if it seemed that way but that's not how I was trying to put myself across. I understand werothegreat is just one person who's decided to take part in the hobby of Conlanging, and I stated that I'm glad he takes enjoyment from it. It is the hobby as a whole that I don't really understand. I used Dangin Nira as some examples of things that I don't 'get', because that's the language that I'd just watched a video about (and in fact, the only language I've watched a video about). Sorry if it seemed I was taking any cheap shots at Dangin Nira in particulay, that wasn't the intention. I'm sure I'd be able to find examples from other language if I were to look into them too.

As for real languages, I accept your comment, however I would argue that in those cases it's a different matter. I know French and German (for example) are confusing... I spent 5 years trying to learn each of them back in my school days. I got good grades for each and to be honest, I don't understand them at all. I just did what I needed to to pass. I've travelled to both countries the languages are named after since and I spoke English. I was understood perfectly but I also understand the view that it's rude to expect them to speak my language, but they do so all is good as far as I'm concerend. Getting a bit off topic here but the point I'm trying to make is yeah, you're right, real languages (other than English) do blow my mind.

Real languages are different though, as they've been around for a long time and have a lot of (i.e. countries and countries full of) fluent speakers who use those languages as part of their every day life. Dangin Nira, or Lojban, or a language I could make up myself are different because well... There just aren't enough users of them to have any meaningful use in real life. That's just my perspective though and I'd welcome the views of people who do enjoy the hobby to tell me why it is that these languages matter. There's probably something that I'm missing and I'd like to find out what.

A new language I'd be interested in would be one that simplifies language as we know it (and enough people adopt it, which sadly is the point I see every single new language is going to fail on, the only way we will acheive this is by adapting a current language into simpler forms). As you pointed out, real languages are strange enough already and I could see use in simplifications. This is why I chose the examples I did in my original post, I picked out points where (in my opinion) the language had made things more complicated than they already are. I don't see the use in this but I certainly don't mean to offend anyone by pointing it out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:26:20 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:35:35 am »
+2

Esperanto! Hahaha
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 05:48:56 am »

Tinas: What do you think about writing as a hobby? Or sculpting? Or worldbuilding? I think it's pretty much the same thing.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:14:48 am »

Fair enough. I have no interest in any of those hobbies either.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 06:19:34 am »

Tolkien did conlanging back in the 30's.

I'm glad he did, because the Elvish languages really add to the story.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:12:11 am »
+1

You've got seemingly unpronouncable combinations of letters (Z followed immediately by R).

Conlanging is--mostly--done in the context of worldbuilding/storytelling.  Otherwise it is, as you imply, less than useful, though it can be an amusing linguistic exercise.

That said, I imagine our resident Serbian would tell you that the consonant cluster "zr" is perfectly pronounceable.  The similar cluster "vr" shows up in both Serbian and Romanian.  And I'm sure other languages have them too.

When we say "unpronounceable" it's important to remember that there are languages that use things like alveolar and palatal clicks as consonants.  Human phonology is much broader than just English phonology.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:31:49 am »

Tinas: What do you think about writing as a hobby? Or sculpting? Or worldbuilding? I think it's pretty much the same thing.

I think this is an interesting point, but I agree with TINAS (which is the primary reason I'm posting -- giving him/her some solidarity here). I've actually taught ESL and learned Spanish and French well enough to have meaningful conversations, but in general, I think language is overblown as a mark of sophistication.

My disinterest in conlanging is similar to my ambivalent feelings toward learning new languages: By learning a language, I haven't gained access to new ways of thinking so much as I've gained access people with new ways of thinking. And since so many people speak English as the global lingua franca now, we have much less incentive to learn a language. (This really hit home for me when a Korean student of mine explained that, to prepare for his trip to Turkey he had put in extra time practicing his...English.)

I would say the difference between languages and these other hobbies is that languages are really just a means to communicate with people. So learning new ones that we can't use to communicate is not really exciting for me, TINAS, and many people.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:35:25 am by Brando Commando »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:55:38 am »

My disinterest in conlanging is similar to my ambivalent feelings toward learning new languages: By learning a language, I haven't gained access to new ways of thinking so much as I've gained access people with new ways of thinking.

Sapir-Whorf hypothesis?  I do think differently when I use a different language.  The easiest demonstration of this is how different programming languages also can compel different thinking patterns (see, e.g., Lisp vs Java).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:23 am »

I'd just use "functional vs imperative", but hey, why be general when you can be specific? :)

Anyway, it's my strong belief that people can do whatever they want in their spare time as a hobby as long as they're not harassing other people. So if you want to invent a new language, go ahead. I don't see why that's so different from playing board games.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 10:32:51 am »

My disinterest in conlanging is similar to my ambivalent feelings toward learning new languages: By learning a language, I haven't gained access to new ways of thinking so much as I've gained access people with new ways of thinking.

Sapir-Whorf hypothesis?  I do think differently when I use a different language.  The easiest demonstration of this is how different programming languages also can compel different thinking patterns (see, e.g., Lisp vs Java).

It's funny, I hesitated to drop a reference to Steven Pinker in my post for fear of looking like an egghead...

Anyway, I've read a few linguistics books, but mostly by Pinker and his allies. They're pretty against linguistic relativity, so my perspective is a little skewed toward a non-linguistic-relativity view. That said, my impression is that Sapir-Whorf is not such a great thing to cite -- I think there are probably more modern, more refined theories of linguistic relativity to get into. Also, at the very least, the linguistic relativity probably takes more than a few lessons to set in -- more likely, it takes a great deal of being steeped in a culture to matter.

As for your example, I think the parallel to programming languages is misleading. Programming languages are designed specifically to construct new categories and types of information and ways of treating it. Two human languages, however, tend to used to represent the same basic ideas 99% of the time. I suppose by asserting this I'm just begging the question about linguistic relativity, but still, I don't think the comparison is apt.

Edit: I probably took us off track by bringing other languages into it. I kind of get it when someone says they want to learn another language, especially because, yes, it does tend to lead to other points of view and cultural forms.

But Conlanging seems like the opposite of that: Constructing a language that just connects you back to you and not to anybody else or any other cultures. Why not just spend that time learning somebody else's language and playing by somebody else's rules?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:49:04 am by Brando Commando »

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 10:33:42 am »

Anyway, it's my strong belief that people can do whatever they want in their spare time as a hobby as long as they're not harassing other people. So if you want to invent a new language, go ahead. I don't see why that's so different from playing board games.

I'm not proposing outlawing conlanging. It's just a critique/question.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 11:37:37 am »

Sapir-Whorf has been pretty widely debunked by most mainstream linguists as far as I know.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 12:58:37 pm »
+2

I see conlanging as an art.  Just like prose and poetry are art forms, the creation of the medium by which you write in prose and poetry is, itself, an art.  And literature depends vastly on the language in which it's written - there's a reason why we have the phrase "lost in translation," and why we are most often recommended to read something in its original language.  Alliteration, metaphor, consonance, diction - these all depend on the language you're writing in.  Each language has its own strengths and weaknesses, its own tracts of synonyms and peculiarities of syntax.

Language creation is not for everyone.  That's equivalent to saying that writing symphonies is not for everyone.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 03:11:20 pm »

Sapir-Whorf has been pretty widely debunked by most mainstream linguists as far as I know.

As far as I am aware, although the strongest versions of the hypothesis (that thought is wholly determined by language) are debunked, the weaker version of the hypothesis (that thought patterns are influenced by language) is widely accepted.  But I am not a linguist.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 05:30:27 pm »

For the second time in just a few days, I feel the need to link this article on the Piraha tribe.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 05:31:26 pm »
+1

color words
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:36:32 am »

I love creating new languages. I tried a couple times before, but didn't get very far. Don't have that kind of time.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 01:15:07 am »
+1

I love creating new languages. I tried a couple times before, but didn't get very far. Don't have that kind of time.

Well, I can say that my language is pretty extensive.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 03:39:51 am »

I guess the hard part is creating new words that aren't just translations from existing words in another language.

Like in the Dominion rulebook: The look shared between two people when one wants the other to do something, but he doesn't want to say it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 10:24:32 am »
+1

I guess the hard part is creating new words that aren't just translations from existing words in another language.

Like in the Dominion rulebook: The look shared between two people when one wants the other to do something, but he doesn't want to say it.

Well, most of your words are just going to be translations, but words in different languages have different scopes - in English, "bear" can mean an animal, or it can mean "to carry."  Obviously you wouldn't have one word in another language that means both of those things - you'd spread them out into multiple words.  English is just sort of weird like this.

Though I do have words in my language for "impossible mutual infatuation", "to unhealthily obsess over," and "friend kept only on the off chance you might have sex someday."

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 12:13:40 pm »

"friend kept only on the off chance you might have sex someday."

What is this word?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 12:47:25 pm »

"friend kept only on the off chance you might have sex someday."

What is this word?
Fahrvergnugen.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.