Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Should there be an alternative method for using Colonies?  (Read 2520 times)

play2draw

Should there be an alternative method for using Colonies?
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:33:30 am »

Right now in Dominion the chance of a Colony game is related to the number of Prosperity cards in a game. At the release of Prosperity there were 109 cards. If you shuffle the randomizer deck drawing your kingdom cards and the first card drawn is a Prosperity card then Colonies would be used. There was, therefore, a 23% chance that a game would use Colonies. Presently, after Cornucopia, there is a 20% chance and by the time the last expansion comes out there will be a 13% chance of a Colony game.

Do you think Colonies will become too infrequent? Is the connection between Colonies and Prosperity Kingdom Cards too arbitrary, or is it sufficient in its simplicity? Can you think of an alternative method that would be acceptable?

Elysium

• Steward
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Re: Should there be an alternative method for using Colonies?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:06:54 am »

Can you think of an alternative method that would be acceptable?

Play with Colonies when you want to play with Colonies.  Don't play with Colonies when you don't want to play with Colonies.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:08:09 pm »

You could also do what Donald does when he plays (don't have a link to a source, but I recall reading it one or two different places), and only use two different sets when you play; then when you're not using Prosperity, you'll never see them, and when you are you'll see them about half the time.

Elysium's method also works.

I haven't tried this much, but you could play a given Kingdom without Colonies, then try the same Kingdom with Colonies to see how much the game changes with Colonies available.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:24:07 pm »

When my brother and I play, we basically just put Colonies out whenever we feel like having them out -- even if there are no Prosperity cards in the kingdom at all.  We do probably put Colonies out more often when the stronger Prosperity cards are present, just because that feels right, but the larger factor in the decision is how long we have to play.

kazztawdal

• Salvager
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:44:22 pm »

If I were designing a sort of official Dominion league game structure, each game would feature 3 randomly chosen sets, with no alteration to how the randomizer works.  So, if Prosperity is in there, before determining the kingdom, there'd be a 33% chance of a Colony game.

Colonies I could take or leave.  It's Platinum that really changes the game.

MasterAir

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:57:18 am »

Surely in a world without colonies Platinum is overkill, even when you get to 9.

Or am I very, very wrong?

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:19:01 am »

Colonies I could take or leave.  It's Platinum that really changes the game.

I would put it the other way round most of the time. Probably a question of playing style. But it's Colonies that hinder some rush strategies with gardens or dukes.

Most likely it doesn't make too much sense to discuss the presence of Colonies/Platinum independently.

hughes

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:50:45 am »

I use a threshold of 3 prosperity cards to determine if I'm using platinums/colonies or maybe 2 if there's an especially potent prosperity card in play.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.