Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Minister  (Read 2253 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Minister
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:09:44 pm »

Minister
Action - Reaction
Cost: $4

+ 1 Action

Look at the top card of your deck. Trash it, discard it or put it on top of your deck.
-----
When one of your cards is trashed, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put the trashed card in your hand. If the trashed card costs $6 or more, trash this. Otherwise, discard this.

Thoughts?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Minister
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:47:25 pm »
+1

Bad when you play it and do something other than trash, as it puts you down a card on your current turn for either nothing or, at best, an extra useful card next turn, making it a wash.  But if you do play it and trash, then that's quite good.  It could be a good opener, since most of what you're liable to turn up with it will be something you'd want to trash.

Still, even as an opener, the benefit would be slow to manifest itself, so except on a slow board you probably need to have a use for the reaction effect for the card to be worthwhile often.  And it's not good enough to trigger the reaction from other copies of this card.  Why?  With two copies in your hand, you play one, trash the top card, use the second copy to put it in your hand instead of the trash, and presto -- you've successfully pieced together a cantrip!  And all it cost you was a card slot for that second copy that's still eating up a slot in your hand.

So you need a separate trashing effect to use this.  But if you've got that, it could be great.  Trash-for-benefit cards like Apprentice, Salvager, and Remodel may be used on power cards and Provinces without sacrificing them.  Sweet stuff.  Also, you're immune to trashing attacks, which wind up helping you rather than hurting you -- but for that reason, your opponents will probably avoid trashing attacks when this is around, in which case you don't need this after all.

What about non-for-benefit trashers?  Loan and Lookout will each put a card in your hand, but those combos aren't much better (if at all) from cantrips.  Reacting to trash-from-hand (Chapel, Steward) is basically useless, since you're just undoing what they do.

So I think this will be a pretty situational card.  You need either trash-for-benefit cards or a slow board with little or no other trashing.  I think there are probably enough of those kinds of boards to justify the card (certainly there are narrower official cards), but you have to expect it'll stay on the table a lot of the time.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:53:18 pm »

Yeah my thought was that maybe the action part wasn't good enough to justify buying it in the absence of a good trash-for-benefit card. Maybe if I added +1 Card and made it $5. That makes the action fairly comparable to Upgrade (at least when you're trashing Coppers with it), except it gives you less control over what you trash, but doesn't cost you a spot in your hand.

Edit: Or what about something like, "If you trashed it, you may gain a card cheaper than than the trashed card."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:05:21 pm by Jimmmmm »

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:25 am »

Bad when you play it and do something other than trash, as it puts you down a card on your current turn for either nothing or, at best, an extra useful card next turn, making it a wash.  But if you do play it and trash, then that's quite good.  It could be a good opener, since most of what you're liable to turn up with it will be something you'd want to trash.

I don't think it compares favourably to Lookout as an opener.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:20:06 am »

I don't think it compares favourably to Lookout as an opener.

Yeah, I feel like I'm missing something here. This sounds to me like a much-worse version of Lookout that costs more. The only advantage it has over Lookout is that you can never be forced to trash a good card with this; but when you don't trash a card you either put it on top, in which case this card was a Ruined Village, or you discard it, in which case this card is a much-worse version of Spy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 06:43:07 am »

Well I thought the Action had to be relatively weak, because of how strong the Reaction can be. Here's my second version:

Minister
Action - Reaction
Cost: $5

+ 1 Card
+ 1 Action

Look at the top card of your deck. Trash it, discard it or put it on top of your deck. If you trashed it, you may gain a card costing less than the trashed card.
-----
When one of your cards is trashed, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put the trashed card in your hand. If the trashed card costs $6 or more, trash this. Otherwise, discard this.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.