Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Dominion Wiki  (Read 99392 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Dominion Wiki
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:31 am »
+19

I know this has come up a few times, but I more and more think that we need some sort of community-driven wiki for Dominion.
This would be especially useful for all the articles. We don't need to edit a list in a thread to link to all of the articles. Also many of the articles are already outdated by 2-3 expansions. And rather than someone has to write an article for all the left out cards or update the old articles, the community could put together articles for those cards, because - you know - there are many of them.

But there are more reasons:
Also, the FAQ gets quite big and an wiki could help sort that out. It's also the perfect place for explaining all the Dominion Lingo.
It also has come up that lists of cards that share certain criteria would be nice. This could easily be solved by categories in wikis.
Tournaments and Events could also be edited there.
Many more...

But...

Do you agree or do you think that this isn't necessary?
If you agree, how do we set this up?
Could theory install a wiki on dominionstrategy? Or would it be best to use a hosted wiki, like wikia?

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Wiki
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:41:41 am »

I totally agree and was just thinking this. A lot of the information has become hard to navigate in a convenient way.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:48:32 am »
+3

Damn you for stealing my +1s.  I've been yelling at theory for this for a long time.

From 12/9/2011:
me: have you considered creating a wiki?
  i know there was a discussion
 Theory: i'm seriously considering starting twilightstrategy.com
  yes
  i should
  it's quite a bit of upfront work
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:53:46 am »

What this site needs eventually is a wiki.  This will involve a lot of technical stuff that both rrenaud and I will agree is necessary, and both rrenaud and I imagine that the other will do it, and it never really happens for a while.  But I think we have evolved to the point where a wiki would be very helpful for the community.  Until then, we will just manage as-is.

that is theory's comment when the idea was proposed on here a few months ago. seeing as how rrenaud has lost interest in keeping up with council room, i doubt he would have interest in maintaining a wiki now.

if people wanted to actually see this happen we would probably need to see some serious contributions in getting it started on the technical end of things. between the FAQ and Card Article List alone we have a ton of content, so that isn't so big an issue.

but beyond even the technical/maintenance side of things we would also need to hammer out rules and formatting:
- can just anyone update the wiki? select users only? regular posters? a free for all could be a mess and a nightmare for the mods.
- creating and agreeing on a generic card article template.
- separate wiki pages for combos as well as cards?

i'm sure there are many other talking points but that is a good start.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:57:20 am »
+1

I would argue in favor of start with full anon access.  If it gets trolled - then upgrade it to logged in access.  If someone comes in and starts adding a "big deck analysis" section to every card, then maybe some moderator activity would be required

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:15 am »
+6

It's not about stealing +1s, especially as I have said "I know this has come up a few times".
It's more like this:

Code: [Select]
if( this.manyAgree() ){
  if( !theory.want() ||  !theory.haveTime() ||  !theory.isAble() ){
    community.setUp( wiki.getBestWiki() );
  } else{
    theory.setUp( wiki.getLocal() );
  }
} else{
  this.ignore();
}

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:00:02 am »

I don't know how to set up a wiki, and I don't think rrenaud knows either.  I absolutely do not want a free-hosted wikia wiki.

If you're someone who's been around this forum for a while and want to set one up for us, we'll help you and give you access to the server and all.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:09 am »

I installed MediaWiki once locally, it was very easy. You only need a PHP and a databse, e.g. mySQL.
It depends on the board wiki we choose and configuration of the web server.
I'm really no admin, but I could do it. But I rather mod the wiki, if you ask me.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:15:20 am »

I would argue in favor of start with full anon access.  If it gets trolled - then upgrade it to logged in access.  If someone comes in and starts adding a "big deck analysis" section to every card, then maybe some moderator activity would be required

yeah, i was thinking more along the lines of lower quality content and analysis, but trolling could be a legitimate problem too.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:31:12 am »

Does your hosting not just have a bolt on Wiki? Mine does. Once its installed you could just let some hand picked people work on setting up the pages

Although thinking about it, I can'  imagine you are on a simple hosting package like I am!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:04:52 am »

I think anyone who starts setting up the wiki should take a look at http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/start - this is a wiki about a card game integrated with a forum (forum existed first). A great feature is that when you mention a card's name on the forum it gets autolinked to this card's wiki page.

Of course there is a problem with not enough content - pages of most cards are default templates. But Dominion has 20 times less cards and 20 times more players, so I think the problem would be way smaller here.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 11:08:54 am »

I think anyone who starts setting up the wiki should take a look at http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/start - this is a wiki about a card game integrated with a forum (forum existed first). A great feature is that when you mention a card's name on the forum it gets autolinked to this card's wiki page.

Of course there is a problem with not enough content - pages of most cards are default templates. But Dominion has 20 times less cards and 20 times more players, so I think the problem would be way smaller here.

Seems nice except for the giant ad banner.  Mine is a Romney / Ryan ad.  Is that an official sponsorship - or is it taking into account the amount of money I waste on board games and think that I'm 1%?

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:12:35 am »

Could I suggest if this does go ahead that contrary to things already stated you start with logged in access not anon (though freedom to setup account) otherwise you tend to just end up with a ton of spam-bots posting crap on it (or at least that's been my experience with modding wikis and stuff). Not the end of the world, but a pain in the arse to clean up unless you're checking it all the time.

I've not set up a media wiki before, but I work in PHP and MySQL/DBs all day, so how hard can it be? :) I'll give it a whirl locally when I have some spare time this week and see what the crack is with it. (Though it sounds like I'm in a similar boat to Qvist in that I'm not really a server admin - I have done the odd bit here and there though)

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 11:22:10 am »

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the hint. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that i would be more of a forum feature than a wiki feature because the forum has to parse for strings and auto-link to the wiki. So it's probably wiki independant. And I think instead of parsing a special tag would be better. How about other forums/wikis? How are MtG wikis/forums organized? I found MtG Salvation which also has a MediaWiki.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 01:13:22 pm »

Seems nice except for the giant ad banner.  Mine is a Romney / Ryan ad.  Is that an official sponsorship - or is it taking into account the amount of money I waste on board games and think that I'm 1%?
No idea. I think it shows ads only when you're not logged in, I've never seen any banners there.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that i would be more of a forum feature than a wiki feature
Very possible - autolinking (to a page simply showing image of the card and some very basic info about it) existed at the forum before the wiki was set up.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »

Actually, it thinks you're the 1% based on your upvotes vs. posts here.

(Actually actually, it's probably just a random banner ad via an ad service.)

Also, I'll put in another vote for MediaWiki.  Very easy to use and should be simple to install.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:56:03 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 01:53:38 pm »
+1

From 12/9/2011:
me: have you considered creating a wiki?
  i know there was a discussion
 Theory: i'm seriously considering starting twilightstrategy.com

I don't know if it's just me, but taken out of context, this non sequitur is hilarious.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »

#fasttypistproblems

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 07:19:13 pm »
+3

Ok, back to topic. A voluntary to set this up? If not, I will do it.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 08:22:57 pm »
+2

Ok, back to topic. A voluntary to set this up? If not, I will do it.

Sounds like we have our voluntary!  ;D

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:20 pm »
+18

So, let's get this started. http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com

• If someone wants to make a nice logo, I appreciate. I copied that coin image from google image search.
  • This is just a little test phase. So we start with restricted editting. So only registered users can edit and at the beginning I will manually activate accounts and only active users from the forums will be activated.
  • I installed a extension for MediaWiki for Account Confirmation but didn't edit the form, in case you're wondering why there are so many (unnecessary) form fields...
  • Regarding card images, if anyone want to scan the cards in high quality, that would be great, but until then we could the images from diehrstraits.
  • Use and create templates. I already created two basic templates as a basic guideline. It would be e.g. nice to have some coin icons.
  • Have fun...

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »

You forgot the promo cards in the master list at the bottom.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 06:52:52 pm »
+1

Requested an account :)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:54 pm »
+9

Requested an account :)

Me too. Can't wait to start drawing ascii penises everywhere contributing valuable content.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.