Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: What would make you go Village/Smithy?  (Read 19249 times)

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
What would make you go Village/Smithy?
« on: August 23, 2011, 01:25:23 pm »

Here's the set up:

1.  It's a Province game.  Village and Smithy are in the kingdom.  You know that Village/Smithy loses to Big Money + 1 Smithy.

a.  What other cards on the board would convince you to go for a Village/Smithy engine over Big Money + 1 Smithy?

b.  What's your general buy strategy to get all of those cards?  When do you start buying Villages?  What proportions do you try to obtain?

And:

2.  Same questions, but a Colony game.

NB:  You can assume other cards, but not a whole other engine.  No, "Torturer, and I'll use Torturer instead of Smithy."  We know Village/Torturer is good.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:27:47 pm by Epoch »

HLennartz

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: What would make you go Village/Smithy?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »

NB:  You can assume other cards, but not a whole other engine.  No, "Torturer, and I'll use Torturer instead of Smithy."  We know Village/Torturer is good.

I guess this doesn't count, but one game I won opening Village/Smithy, and used that to build into a primarily-Torturer engine with 2 Smithy's in the mix. So it wasn't a case of purely using Torturer over Smithy...Smithy was a vital bootstrap to get the engine going quickly.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:39:26 pm »

If Remodel is out there, I like to Remodel Estate->Village or Smithy.  Note the way I play might not be optimal enough to beat BM every game, though I'm comfortable in that fact that if I pick a strategy that has a 45% chance to win, it will still feel like I can win 1/2 the games.

If Monument is out there, I like to try to Throne Room or Village into multiple Monuments (though I prefer Throne Room in this case) - maybe Iron Works to gain the necessary components?

Let's replace Smithy with Nobles in the Kingdom, and it feels like Nobles quality improves with Villages... though my gut feeling would likely be proven to be far from optimal by a simulator.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:18:15 pm »

+Buys and some way to get huge buying power out of a huge hand. Ironworks helps too.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:00:39 pm »

+Buys and some way to get huge buying power out of a huge hand. Ironworks helps too.

Okay, but specifically what?  I mean, if Woodcutter/Village/Smithy is on the board, is that enough to convince you that Village/Smithy is dominant over Big Money + Smithy?  How about Market instead of Woodcutter, arguably a better +buy in this case?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:13:04 pm »

Banks and any source of +buy, especially non-terminal. Substituting worker's village for vanilla village helps a lot.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 04:19:19 pm »

Okay, but specifically what?
Because building a Village/Smithy engine is usually slow, and you need some way to catch up once it's built. If you don't have multiple buys, you won't have enough turns to catch up. If you don't have huge buying power, you won't have enough money to catch up.

No, just Market isn't enough. Certainly not Woodcutter. Market and Bank? Now we can talk.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:35:09 pm »

Because building a Village/Smithy engine is usually slow, and you need some way to catch up once it's built. If you don't have multiple buys, you won't have enough turns to catch up. If you don't have huge buying power, you won't have enough money to catch up.

I am very clear on the theory, the question is what is enough?  Perhaps oddly, I can't recall ever having played a game of Dominion where Village/Smithy was on the table.  It seems like the weakest real "engine" deck -- the one that gets you nothing but cards and actions, and not a glut of either, and requires two different cards so it's more susceptible to stalling than, say, Laboratories.

Yes, I know, guys, with an engine you want buys and the ability to put together a mega-turn.  Thanks, I've played a few hundred games of Dominion or so, I have a general concept of how engines work.  But specifics.  How does this, particular, weak engine work?

Not with Worker's Village.  Not with Torturer.  Not with Council Room.  An actual Village/Smithy engine.

Okay, so, one combo that guided at least would regard as enough would be village/smithy/market/bank.  Fair enough.  What's the game plan there?  Open Village/Smithy?  Buy no money besides Banks?  What ratio of villages/smithies do you go for?  How many Markets?  How many Banks?

Asking for Bank/Market seems like a high bar.  Anyone think it's doable with less?  How about Coppersmith/Market?

Would you try it with Village/Smithy/Steward/Pawn?  Steward for the trashing early and the money or cards to shore up your engine later.  Pawn as +buy when you want it, a cantrip when you want that, a card/money when you've got extra actions to throw around?  I doubt this would function, but I'm curious.  What about Village/Smithy/Steward/Hamlet?  What if you threw Conspirators into the mix?

Would anyone even remotely try it with terminal +buy?  Salvager, maybe?

What if the board was Village/Smithy/Goons?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:55:17 pm »

I'd be willing to try with Village/Smithy/Goons. I would open Smithy/Silver and go BM until I could buy a Goons, then my priorities would be between Goons, Villages, and Smithies based on a) avoiding terminal collisions, b) being ahead of my opponent in the Goons race, and c) being able to draw my whole deck (in roughly that order, although c might be more important initially).

In order to do this, I would need to see a set that does not have a quick endgame. A gardens game or Salvager would get ahead too quickly for this engine to take off.

play2draw

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 04:56:07 pm »

Well... opening Village/Smithy would be much worse than Smithy/Silver and probably worse than Smithy/Nothing.

Trashing would help (particularly Remake, I imagine)... but then again trashing would make most any engine better, and there are plenty of stronger engines than Village/Smithy.

Apothecary would be very useful in digging through a deck with lots of junk, and help chain your cards in the proper order... but then again filtering your cards would make most any engine better, and there are plenty of stronger engines than Village/Smithy.

Wharf would be a good compliment to a deck that requires chaining Villages and Smithies, and provides a +buy... but then again Wharf would make most any engine better, and there are plenty of stronger engines than Village/Smithy.

If Goons were on the board with good trashing, I'd might try and chain something together... but if the only +2 actions card is Village and the best card-drawer is Smithy, you'd need a significant number of the villages and enough +buys to get the "massive turn" to occur without making the Goons a mere novelty.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 05:01:02 pm »

Yes, I know, guys, with an engine you want buys and the ability to put together a mega-turn.  Thanks, I've played a few hundred games of Dominion or so, I have a general concept of how engines work.  But specifics.
OK, good luck with that.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 05:19:48 pm »

I don't see how to make village/smithy/market/bank work in a Province game.  Those are all cards with no non-trivial decisions to make, so I believe the simulator should be good with them.  The best I've managed is 42% for the engine versus a big money deck with one smithy and which buys banks at $7 exactly.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?  Here are my files:

Code: [Select]
<player name="Village/Smithy/Market/Bank">
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Village"/>
         <operator type="greaterThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="4.0"/>
      </condition>
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Smithy"/>
         <right type="constant" attribute="3.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInSupply" attribute="Province"/>
         <operator type="smallerOrEqualThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="2.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Market">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Market"/>
         <operator type="smallerThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="1.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Bank">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Bank"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Market">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Smithy">
      <condition>
         <right type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Village"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Village"/>
</player>

<player name="BM + Smithy (+bank)">
   <buy name="Province"/>
   <buy name="Smithy">
      <condition>
         <operator type="equalTo" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="0.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="5.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Estate">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Bank"/>
   <buy name="Gold"/>
   <buy name="Silver"/>
</player>

EDIT to add:  Village/Smithy/Market/Bank STOMPS Big Money in a Colony game, however.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:34:26 pm by Epoch »

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 05:31:00 pm »

Well... opening Village/Smithy would be much worse than Smithy/Silver and probably worse than Smithy/Nothing.

Though that may be tied up in the fact that BM+Smithy is just better than a Village/Smithy engine.

Trashing would help (particularly Remake, I imagine)... but then again trashing would make most any engine better, and there are plenty of stronger engines than Village/Smithy.

Sure, but...  obviously Village/Smithy is a weak engine.  I know that.  It's fine to posit cards that would help any engine, it's just not fine to change which engine we're talking about.  Like, we'll assume that no better engines are available on the board, otherwise, well, we wouldn't be looking at how to make Village/Smithy work.

So, trashing.  I admit that I'm not sure exactly how handle trashing in a deck like this.  Like, how many Coppers do you trash?  Do you buy Silvers to maintain buying power, or do something like reduce the deck's total buying power to $4 and get a "draw entire deck every turn" and then increase buying power only after you're at that goal?

Apothecary would be very useful in digging through a deck with lots of junk, and help chain your cards in the proper order... but then again filtering your cards would make most any engine better, and there are plenty of stronger engines than Village/Smithy.

Apothecary dropped into the deck would make it better, sure, but when would you actually buy Apothecary to enable Village/Smithy?  I mean, I presume you wouldn't try to create a Village/Smithy/Apothecary/nothing else but treasure and victory cards deck.  So, can you see a kingdom where you'd go Village/Smithy+Apothecary?  If so, what are the other cards in the kingdom?

Wharf would be a good compliment to a deck that requires chaining Villages and Smithies, and provides a +buy... but then again Wharf would make most any engine better, and there are plenty of stronger engines than Village/Smithy.

I suspect that with Wharf on the board, it would be a Village/Wharf engine, not a Village/Smithy engine.

If Goons were on the board with good trashing, I'd might try and chain something together... but if the only +2 actions card is Village and the best card-drawer is Smithy, you'd need a significant number of the villages and enough +buys to get the "massive turn" to occur without making the Goons a mere novelty.

Would you go for Village/Smithy/Goons/Chapel?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 05:46:37 pm »

The main problem is that village/smithy is going to start tanking hard once you start greening so the only way to make it work is with 1 mega turn which requires a huge amount of buys and money, but it still has to be fast. The smithy/BM player should expect 4 provinces by turn 14 or 15 with a 5th and 6th in the next few turns, or at least some duchies, and can probably secure half the VP's by turn 18 or so.

Would you go for Village/Smithy/Goons/Chapel?

I suspect Goons might be the best way to make village/smithy more viable that smithy/big money, since there is essentially an unlimited number of points to be had and the smithy/BM is going to take some time to run the game out on piles. The trasher might not even be necessary but then you will run into the same problem of the engine stalling hard once you start adding useless coppers. I think watchtower might be very helpful here.

The problem here is that this engine really has nothing to do with village/smithy. They are simply enablers for the real players: Goons and watchtower (or chapel) and this combo works with any sort of draw engine of which there are thousands (millions? billions?) of which village/smithy is one of the worst.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 05:50:12 pm »

Yes, I know, guys, with an engine you want buys and the ability to put together a mega-turn.  Thanks, I've played a few hundred games of Dominion or so, I have a general concept of how engines work.  But specifics.
OK, good luck with that.
How very helpful of you.

I think there's virtually nothing that's going to make me want to build a deck around village/smithy as an engine. I say virtually nothing because I can't think of anything right now. Goons is a maybe, but I'm probably not really going to be building such an engine there, at least not in the classic sense where you're drawing a good chunk of your deck every turn, not with literally smithy and village. Fishing village absolutely. Worker's Village maybe. Same with farming. And if you can get something for draw other than smithy, then also.
And there are lots of decks where I will BUY both, but not really making an engine.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »

I think there's virtually nothing that's going to make me want to build a deck around village/smithy as an engine. I say virtually nothing because I can't think of anything right now.

Village/Smithy/Market/Bank in a Colony game, with the right buy strategy (which is sort of a pain to create in the simulator but I think is pretty intuitive in real life: build your engine first, as your engine gets going, get 1 Market, buy two Banks, get a couple more Markets for the additional buys and the help to your engine) does really well against Smith + Bank + Big Money in the Colony games.  Like, 70/30 well.

Of course, it may be that on that board, there's another strategy which would trump both, but with just those cards, I don't see it.

tko

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »

One factor is what is your opponent doing?  On their turns 1-4, did they buy Smithy, Silver, Silver, Gold?  If your opponent isn't going BM and building a cute engine, it gives you more wiggle room to build your own engine.  How many Markets to buy?  Well did your opponent buy 2 or 3 Markets?  Then in that case you can buy 2.

Though I think Remodeling style cards are key... if you can Remodel Copper->Cellar or Estate->Smithy, you are replacing dead cards with cards that help keep the engine going. Sure, you can draw Smithy and no Village... using Cellar or Wharehouse can help you dig for that Village you need to kick off a big turn.

And attacks!  If you can build an engine that can play attack cards more reliably (not just Goons) than that draw power and those big turns have a pay off.  If you can play Militia followed by Masquerade, for example, iiitt iizzz NICE, eh?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 06:01:18 pm »

1. What's that 70/30 based on? Gut instinct or simulator data?
2. Colony games will definitely help the village/smithy engine.
3. If it's based on sim data, can you post the bots? I'd bet I can tune your Smithy/Bank/BM deck a bit better than you have it.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 06:03:24 pm »

One factor is what is your opponent doing?  On their turns 1-4, did they buy Smithy, Silver, Silver, Gold?  If your opponent isn't going BM and building a cute engine, it gives you more wiggle room to build your own engine.  How many Markets to buy?  Well did your opponent buy 2 or 3 Markets?  Then in that case you can buy 2.

Let us assume that your opponent is a robot who plays Big Money Ultimate + the best single enabling Action card on the table + any kingdom-treasure cards that are helpful, period, no ifs, ands or buts, and you know this before the game starts.

Though I think Remodeling style cards are key... if you can Remodel Copper->Cellar or Estate->Smithy, you are replacing dead cards with cards that help keep the engine going. Sure, you can draw Smithy and no Village... using Cellar or Wharehouse can help you dig for that Village you need to kick off a big turn.

Personally, I'd be kind of surprised if Remodel, alone, was enough to make such an engine work.

And attacks!  If you can build an engine that can play attack cards more reliably (not just Goons) than that draw power and those big turns have a pay off.  If you can play Militia followed by Masquerade, for example, iiitt iizzz NICE, eh?

Though both Militia and Masquerade hurt you, and both are excellent single-action cards for your BMU-robot opponent to use against you (Masquerade more so, I assume).

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 06:04:36 pm »

1. What's that 70/30 based on? Gut instinct or simulator data?

Simulator, albeit not a ton of tweaking the BMU robot.

2. Colony games will definitely help the village/smithy engine.
3. If it's based on sim data, can you post the bots? I'd bet I can tune your Smithy/Bank/BM deck a bit better than you have it.

Sure:

<player name="COL - Village/Smithy/Market/Bank">
   <buy name="Colony">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Village"/>
      </condition>
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInSupply" attribute="Colony"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Market">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="1.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Bank">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Market">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Smithy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Village"/>
</player>

<player name="COL - BM + Smithy (+bank)">
   <buy name="Colony"/>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="6.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Smithy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="5.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Estate">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Platinum"/>
   <buy name="Bank"/>
   <buy name="Gold"/>
   <buy name="Silver"/>
</player>

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 06:04:53 pm »

Perhaps ironworks and tournament could make village-smithy valid. Open ironworks-silver, pick up a second ironworks and pounce on the villages and smithies, grab some tournaments when you think your deck is getting close to buying a province then switch back to village-smithy when you have about 3 tournaments. Of course, this also suffers from the fact that tournament is really your engine and village smithy is just an option for drawing a lot of cards but there probably are better options.
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 06:07:15 pm »

How very helpful of you.
I made helpful posts about general situations where I might consider this engine and got insulted for it.

It's not your place to be the guy who follows me around looking down your nose at me every time I respond to someone who is being rude to me. It is on you for choosing to derail threads like this time and time again. There's a "Report to moderator" button you can use rather than taking it upon yourself to be everybody else's white knight whether they deserve it or not.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 06:11:35 pm »

It's not your place to be the guy who follows me around looking down your nose at me every time I respond to someone who is being rude to me. It is on you for choosing to derail threads like this time and time again.

You're the one derailing the thread.  I don't know how it is that you read the first post and thought that it was asking for you to respond with one sentence that says, "+buys are nice," but it was an egregious misreading.  When I clarified that I was looking for specifics again, and you again posted generalities, and then chose to get all upset when I repeated for a third time that the thread was about specifics, not one-sentence generalities that everyone here already knows, that was all on you, dude.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 06:14:03 pm »

I managed to get the Village/Smithy engine deck (with Banks and Markets) to slightly beat (49-47) the BM - Smithy/Bank:

<player name="Village/Smithy/Market/Bank - Big Turn">
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countAvailableMoney"/>
         <operator type="greaterOrEqualThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="24.0"/>
      </condition>
      <condition>
         <left type="countBuysLeft"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Province"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Duchy"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Estate">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Bank">
      <condition>
      </condition>
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Market">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Smithy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Smithy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Village"/>
</player>

It's going for the mega mega turn (3 Provinces in 1 turn). I tried the mega turn (2 provinces) and mega mega mega turn (4 Provinces), but 3 is apparently the sweet spot.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 06:18:17 pm »

I managed to get the Village/Smithy engine deck (with Banks and Markets) to slightly beat (49-47) the BM - Smithy/Bank:

Interesting.  I didn't even think of just straight-up using the money count thing to control the first Province mega-buy.

Since you're here -- is there a point in playing around with Steward or the various Remodel-type cards in the simulator, or does it not know how to play them?

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 06:19:29 pm »

You're the one derailing the thread
If you would characterize my first 2 posts as derailment, then I need to be sure never to post in one of your threads again, and I'm certainly not sorry for thinking you were being rude to me.

Almost every strategy question in Dominion comes down to "it depends", and general principles are much more useful in thinking about how to improve your game than things like "if these exact 4 cards are all available then here's the exact buy/play rules that will work" (and I did give you an exact set of 4 cards, but whatever).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 06:29:09 pm »

NB:  You can assume other cards, but not a whole other engine.
The value from village/smithy is that you enable another engine with it. You don't want to be using villages and smithies to draw poor treasures from your deck or cycle cheap cards around. If you were going to throw stewards, hoards and nobles into the kingdom then that might create some different looking engine with village/smithy/nobles, the steward doing a mix of trashing and drawing, and the hoards proving gold, catching up the time spent buying the drawing chain instead of treasures.

The basic draw chain isn't difficult to work out. You need to control you deck size so that your action cards aren't disconnected. You need to cycle something of use rather than pushing around poor cards. Gaining/upgrading cards for your deck can offset the time spent buying cards for the draw chain. Once you have big draws from your chain you can use other kingdom cards more effectively, more often, and with better results. You will of course need good results since you need to catch up the turns spent building the drawing engine instead of buying treasures.

play2draw

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:36 pm »

Maybe you want to play multiple Mountebanks on your turn and Warehouse/Village or Cellar/Village isn't an option?... but then again, Mountebank is probably one of the best counters for Village/Smithy to begin with...

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 06:39:19 pm »

The value from village/smithy is that you enable another engine with it.

We may be having a terminology difference here.  What I mean by "not another engine" is that there is no card drawer as good as or better than Smithy, and no source of +2 Action other than Village (except maybe Hamlet?  I'd also potentially accept +2 Actions that don't give card advantage, though I think that's a slightly different question), and none of the "I'm an engine all by myself" cards like Laboratory or Alchemist.

If we want a full list of cards I'm excluding, I think this is pretty exhaustive:

Card Drawers:  No Council Room, Torturer, Rabble, Nobles, Envoy, or Wharf.  Maybe no Courtyard?  Not sure.
+2 Actions:  No Shanty Towns, Native Villages, Walled Villages, Fishing Villages, Mining Villages, Worker's Villages, Hamlets (maybe), Cities, Bazaars, Nobles (again!) or Festivals.
"All By Itself" Engine cards:  No Minions, Laboratories, Alchemists, Hunting Parties, or maybe Scrying Pools.

A variation might be yes to Hamlets and Festivals.

Or, to put the whole thing a different way:  I'm interested in decks which utilize Village/Smithy to draw a very large hand and have lots of Actions, and then plays whatever actions and treasure and such off of having done that.  What I'm trying to exclude is "other ways to draw a very large hand" or "other ways to get lots of Actions," because, of course, we know that there are variations of "other ways to draw a very large hand" which are just in and of themselves strong.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:45:53 pm by Epoch »

tko

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 06:41:22 pm »

Let us assume that your opponent is a robot who plays Big Money Ultimate + the best single enabling Action card on the table + any kingdom-treasure cards that are helpful, period, no ifs, ands or buts, and you know this before the game starts.
I might very well lose to a Big Money Ultimate robot some of the time... maybe I lose 70% of the time to a Big Money Ultimate robot, but in that situation, in that one game I played, maybe I got the 30% lucky and it made me think that Village/Smithy can be effective.  Though I know Village/Smithy has lost for me before, it's attractive in it's fun factor (oooh I'm playing more cards).  Now lets instead assume my opponent plans to be a Big Money Ultimate robot, but then my purchases and occasional big turns have a psychological effect that can take my opponent off their game, and they make a non-treasure buy to counter what they are afraid of might happen, and that could get me the upper hand.

Personally, I'd be kind of surprised if Remodel, alone, was enough to make such an engine work.
I think Remodel-style cards (Remodel or Upgrade) are enablers to help the engine work, but solely, you're right - Village/Smithy/Remodel isn't good enough.  You need to be getting into the +buys (or pseudo buys like Horn of Plenty), or attack cards, or something of incremental value (Monuments).

Though both Militia and Masquerade hurt you, and both are excellent single-action cards for your BMU-robot opponent to use against you (Masquerade more so, I assume).
Maybe 30% shined on me those days I recall on BSW when my opponent opened Militia, but I worked around it and eked out a victory, or my opponent bought a ton of Gold but I was able to Remodel into dutchies and sneak out a win.  But I do find that getting to draw and play attack cards more frequently can buy you enough time to continue engine building.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:54 pm »

@Epoch: I wouldn't try Remodel or Steward because they involve non-trivial decisions that are highly dependent on your strategy and the context of the game (neither of which the simulator is able to grasp)

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 06:54:13 pm »

@Epoch: I wouldn't try Remodel or Steward because they involve non-trivial decisions that are highly dependent on your strategy and the context of the game (neither of which the simulator is able to grasp)

Yeah, that's what I thought.  Shame, I'd love to try it.  (Don't take that as a knock:  I'm a software engineer, I've got an idea of how hard the simulator was to build, and I think it's completely awesome).

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »

Horn of Plenty is the perfect match for Village/Smithy (no need for +Buy anymore).

This bot easily beats any Big Money variant (not involving attacks):

<player name="Village/Smithy/Horn of Plenty">
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Horn_of_Plenty"/>
         <right type="countCardsInSupply" attribute="Province"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Province"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Estate">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Royal_Seal">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Royal_Seal"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Moneylender">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Moneylender"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Gold">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Gold"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Ghost_Ship">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Ghost_Ship"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Silver">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Silver"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Wishing_Well">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Wishing_Well"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Horn_of_Plenty">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Horn_of_Plenty"/>
         <right type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Smithy"/>
         <extra_operation type="plus" attribute="2.0" />
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="King$s_Court">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="King$s_Court"/>
         <right type="constant" attribute="7.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Village">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardTypeInDeck" attribute="Terminal"/>
         <right type="countCardTypeInDeck" attribute="Village"/>
         <extra_operation type="plus" attribute="1.0" />
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Smithy"/>
   <buy name="Wishing_Well"/>
</player>

It's actually the built-in NGN - Plenty Horny where I replaced Walled Village with the regular Village. It does require quite a few other cards to get Horn of Plenty to Province-gaining-level.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 07:13:03 pm »

Okay, Village/Smithy/Goons (even without any trashing!) is surprisingly good: it stomps both BM + Smithy and BM + Goons.

<player name="Village/Smithy/Goons">
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Goons"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Goons">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Smithy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Village"/>
</player>

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 07:19:08 pm »

Best I can get is about 40-55 losing with only smithy and bank. Probably your market-including bot can be improved too.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 07:25:41 pm »

Okay, Village/Smithy/Goons (even without any trashing!) is surprisingly good: it stomps both BM + Smithy and BM + Goons.

<player name="Village/Smithy/Goons">
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Goons">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Smithy">
      <condition>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Village"/>
</player>
I'm not sure if it's your implementation, but this gets DESTROYED by a simple Village/Goons bot I just whipped up.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 07:27:55 pm »

I'm not sure if it's your implementation, but this gets DESTROYED by a simple Village/Goons bot I just whipped up.

Interesting!  So probably the Smithies are a net drag.  I didn't try to optimize that bot a whole lot because it was awfully good to start with, but maybe the story here is just "get lots of Goons."  I only tested against BM + 1 Goon.  Maybe BM + 4 Goons would have destroyed it, too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:34:41 pm by Epoch »

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »

I was going to come post and ask how it does against village/goons.

I still think there is some room for improvement in the bot, though - i wouldn't want to have an equal number of villages/smithies, and 4 goons, i would want more like villages+1=smithy+goons

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 11:15:36 pm »

What would make me go Village+Smithy? I would almost certainly consider it if Peddler was available, but the ending deck may contain not very many Smithies.

Village/Smithy/Baron/Peddler/Sea Hag, with no trashing, sounds like a good candidate to try Village/Smithy as the engine?

play2draw

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:25 pm »

Maybe Village/Smithy could also be used as a conspirator enabler? Throw in a couple markets for +buy to seal the deal?

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 12:56:31 am »

guided: "+buy" is great advice and a common mistake.

Epoch: in the presence of weak trashing, you may not get the critical deck speed to catch up to bigmoneyult. +draw can sometimes push a weakly trashed deck across that threshold to max speed (draw whole deck each turn)

e.g 1# remake/silver open, pick up villages on trashing turns, with an endgame powerhouse like bank, mint or hoard/harem (or all of them!). remake bank-> province as coup de grace

e.g. 2# Forge is greatly buffed by increased handsize. If forge is the only trasher, and very promising endgame such as GM/conspirator for an action chain, i would open Big money smithy to get a forge, village/smithy midgame into whatever endgame

e.g. 3# most KC decks make me wanna chain actions over silver/gold. Certain attacks or decent +$ will need +draw to chain if there is no very good trasher to reach that game-ending critical mass of attacks.
weak trash/kc with saboteur/festival/pirate ship are great candidates for village smithy earlygame

thats about it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:15:17 am by papaHav »

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 05:42:09 am »

Possession.

You just build an engine to draw your whole deck consistently, and in the end use your 7 coppers and a potion to buy possessions. So you just focus on buying Victory cards with your opponent's deck while improving your draw engine further with your own turns (plus 1-2 more possessions maybe).

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 08:09:19 am »

Interesting!  So probably the Smithies are a net drag.  I didn't try to optimize that bot a whole lot because it was awfully good to start with, but maybe the story here is just "get lots of Goons."  I only tested against BM + 1 Goon.  Maybe BM + 4 Goons would have destroyed it, too.
Nope. I tested my optimized Goons bot and yours won, iirc it was like 60-40. But I meant to note that when I say destroyed here, I mean 99.8-0.2. Yeah.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 09:30:29 am »

I logged this test game http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110714-103700-f84c2143.html a while back when we were talking about opening with a village. It uses cards from the "first game" example kingdom in the Dominion rulebook (remodel, village, militia, mine, market, cellar, smithy) and creates a smithy/village drawing engine. It weakens under attacks cards in the basic set but that's not particularly relevant to your question.

Anyway, to answer the question in the original post you only need to look as far as the first game of Dominion that most people play. All you have to do is spot it!

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 09:56:35 am »

It's seems rather a shame but the simulator seems to play badly any cards needed to empower the smithy/village engine. You'd think that cellars would be a good idea but I looked at a sample game and was typically disappointed. With 9 coins to spend and one buy the bot used a cellar to discard 16 cards, then another cellar to do the same, only to find it now had 7 coins to spend as it had discarded copper and redrawn green cards. Next hand was a bunch of copper and green cards that had all been discarded by the cellar of course.

The simulator very effectively models purchasing rules and game mechanics. Unfortunately it does those things so well that the failings in card play are quickly exposed.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 10:07:32 am »

How does the addition of a coppersmith affect things? I would think that coppersmith would be a good compliment to smithy/village.

Typically smithy/village fails because it spends all it's tempo buying smith/village and all that combo does is draw a bunch of copper. So what if you get a coppersmith or three and turn those coppers you have drawn into serious buying power?

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 01:21:46 pm »

How does the addition of a coppersmith affect things? I would think that coppersmith would be a good compliment to smithy/village.

Typically smithy/village fails because it spends all it's tempo buying smith/village and all that combo does is draw a bunch of copper. So what if you get a coppersmith or three and turn those coppers you have drawn into serious buying power?

I suspect that Village/Smithy/Market/Coppersmith is a lot like Village/Smithy/Market/Bank, but a little bit worse.  Banks, after all, essentially do the same thing, but don't take Actions to use.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 02:02:29 pm »

Indeed. My comment was not so much to go coppersmith instead of bank on a board with both, but rather that coppersmith may be another card that could push me to a village/smithy deck.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 02:11:42 pm »

Indeed. My comment was not so much to go coppersmith instead of bank on a board with both, but rather that coppersmith may be another card that could push me to a village/smithy deck.

Yeah, sorry, I understood, I was just saying that my guess would be that it would perform similarly-but-a-little-worse, so probably not worth it in a Province game, worth it in a Colony game (assuming the dominant alternative strategy is "Big Money").
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 2.163 seconds with 20 queries.