Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Official Storage Solution  (Read 17452 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Official Storage Solution
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:58:46 am »
+3

No idea if this has been mentioned before or not since I don't come round here much anymore, but I was just watching the BGG livestream from Essen and Jay was on to show a few games he's doing this year. They had a bit of spare time afterwards so they took questions from the live audience watching on ustream and someone asked about Dominion expansions. He talked a little bit about Guilds and that it's on time for Spring 2013 and then also mentioned he's been looking at potential storage solutions to take on as an official product. He said he hasn't found one yet, but it is something he's looking at.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Official Storage Solution
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:04:01 am »

Hallelujah
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:04:04 am »
+3

I'm certain that will work out as well as their official online play solution has...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:28:21 pm »
+4

I'm certain that will work out as well as their official online play solution has...
Haha, nice one. That was a funny joke because you made fun of Goko.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:13:40 am »
+1

Well, I would be very interested in a complete storage solution if it's going to be affordable.
Unfortunately, I'm not really a DIY guy myself.  :-[

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Omer

• Steward
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 10:21:24 am »

That would be amazing. Especially if it'll come with all promo cards as a bonus (and maybe a couple of new promo cards as well).

I hope this storage solution would be a box with dividers and NOT a tray like in the current Dominion games.
This user is banned.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:33:12 am »

That would be amazing. Especially if it'll come with all promo cards as a bonus (and maybe a couple of new promo cards as well).

I hope this storage solution would be a box with dividers and NOT a tray like in the current Dominion games.

Yeah, those trays are terrible long-term.  Nice if you're just playing with 1-2 expansions, but that's the way of plebeians.  Promos would be cool, although I have all of them myself. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:38 pm »
+1

Necro!

Not sure if anyone here would be interested (anyone who would want this probably already has something quite serviceable), but there is a kickstarter campaign for plastic dividers for all the cards.

A neat thing is that they say they will send more dividers for future promo cards, though you'll have to request it manually and pay the cost of shipping.  A bad thing is that this seems to be just the dividers, no actual box included.

As far as reliability goes, it appears to be officially licensed by RGG.  It's also got a personal reference from the guy who runs Board Game Bliss, from whom I've received excellent customer service... which counts for a little, maybe?  The project creator is also friends with the guys at Broken Token, who specialize in board game organizers.  So that's something.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:51:19 pm »
+1

Necro!

Not sure if anyone here would be interested (anyone who would want this probably already has something quite serviceable), but there is a kickstarter campaign for plastic dividers for all the cards.

A neat thing is that they say they will send more dividers for future promo cards, though you'll have to request it manually and pay the cost of shipping.  A bad thing is that this seems to be just the dividers, no actual box included.

As far as reliability goes, it appears to be officially licensed by RGG.  It's also got a personal reference from the guy who runs Board Game Bliss, from whom I've received excellent customer service... which counts for a little, maybe?  The project creator is also friends with the guys at Broken Token, who specialize in board game organizers.  So that's something.

A friend of mine basically used exactly that for his Dominion... he just printed out labels and stuck them to what looks like the exact same card dividers. It's an easy enough DIY project; not sure if it's worth having an actual product that's the same basic thing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:49:51 am »
+2

Necro!
polis.
$1 Action/Shelter
+2 Actions
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:33 am »
+3

I took a look at their Kickstarter page and those things look pretty nice. I really like the fact that they're vertically oriented, since most dividers out there are horizontal.

In the process of making my own dividers I came across lots of things that I liked and didn't like about dividers -- these are made of plastic which is a big plus.

On the other hand, there is one thing about these dividers that I think could be an issue, and is something I ran into as well. Having them be opaque and square means you have to be looking at them almost vertically to see the labels, which makes them difficult to read, especially if you're looking over a lot of cards for the one you want. I've played a LOT of IRL Dominion and can speak from experience here.

I had two different solutions to this particular issue, both of which solved that problem: You can make the dividers tabbed so that there's more space in between, or you can make the dividers transparent. Both of these have been effective for me, though they require the dividers to be reversible and probably more expensive.

But, you know, they would actually be usable.

This is still in Kickstarter, so maybe there's a chance they're still open to suggestions like this since they don't seem to have manufactured them all yet, but my takeaway from reading that page is that they wouldn't really be open to making larger changes like this, especially from someone who isn't going to be buying their dividers (I recently spent a LOT of time making my new PlexiGlas™ dividers and I'm happy with them).

Do you think they would be open to listening to my feedback at this point? I'm not sure where to go from here or if I should just stay out of it.

EDIT: I sent a message and he responded very quickly. He said that he asked people about it and they said they would rather keep the price down.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:33:49 am by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

elschmear

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 10:34:17 am »
+3

Hi Adam. Thanks a lot for taking the time to send an e-mail and comment about your Dominion Divider ideas. I agree that your tabbed and plexiglass solutions do offer a better viewing profile to the cards. I did research those solutions when I was finalizing the design and found that the plastic tabbed solutions would be too labor intensive to cut without an expensive die and the plexiglass would also take too much time/money for the final price I was targeting. So, although the plastic divider solution is not the most ideal viewing solution, it provides durability, consistency of cut, and affordability. Basically, I polled many people and most would rather have a more inexpensive solution and deal with having the organizer box closer when setting up the game. Thanks again for your feedback.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:40:42 pm »

All of the solutions I have seen to date are the size of a table because they don't employ stacking trays. For god's sake please make the thing have no larger footprint than 1.5 - 2 square feet.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 02:47:56 pm »

All of the solutions I have seen to date are the size of a table because they don't employ stacking trays. For god's sake please make the thing have no larger footprint than 1.5 - 2 square feet.

My storage solution (link in my signature) is about the size of a briefcase (1.5 feet by 1.25 feet by 4 inches, roughly). All Dominion cards, sleeves, dividers, extra bits, blank cards, and an extra set of base cards fit in there comfortably. I don't carry instructions or mats with the set. It weighs a lot, about how much you would expect a briefcase completely full of paper to weigh.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 03:05:00 pm »

My storage solution (link in my signature) is about the size of a briefcase (1.5 feet by 1.25 feet by 4 inches, roughly). All Dominion cards, sleeves, dividers, extra bits, blank cards, and an extra set of base cards fit in there comfortably. I don't carry instructions or mats with the set. It weighs a lot, about how much you would expect a briefcase completely full of paper to weigh.

Do you carry the mats and tokens separately, or do you just use alternate methods (Coppers for VP tokens, blanks for mats, etc.)?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 03:08:02 pm »

Do you carry the mats and tokens separately, or do you just use alternate methods (Coppers for VP tokens, blanks for mats, etc.)?

I keep the tokens in the box using bead storage containers. As for the mats, we usually use the POWER OF IMAGINATION!!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 05:26:21 pm »

I use the same case as AHoppy (well, not literally) and the mats still fit (along with everything else). There's even room for the rules if you put them in a folder up top (I haven't yet, but will).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 11:16:39 am »
+1

Necro!

I ended up ordering these, but was waiting for them to arrive before posting about it. I ordered the Dominion storage box offered at Broken Token some time ago (I think it's just a decorated Hobby Lobby box), and the dividers fit perfectly in the box. The dividers are nice and solid, but a bit on the thick side. The thickness might be a problem if you sleeve your cards and own all expansions.

Before having these divides, I was using tabbed paper cutouts I made myself. They did the job, but were pretty messy and flimsy, and I only have them for the expansions I currently own. With these new dividers, I'm ready to expand my collection if I so choose. Yay!

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 08:27:28 pm »

Necro!

I ended up ordering these, but was waiting for them to arrive before posting about it. I ordered the Dominion storage box offered at Broken Token some time ago (I think it's just a decorated Hobby Lobby box), and the dividers fit perfectly in the box. The dividers are nice and solid, but a bit on the thick side. The thickness might be a problem if you sleeve your cards and own all expansions.

Before having these divides, I was using tabbed paper cutouts I made myself. They did the job, but were pretty messy and flimsy, and I only have them for the expansions I currently own. With these new dividers, I'm ready to expand my collection if I so choose. Yay!

The sellers of those plastic dividers have updated the set to include Dominion:Adventures. I think the Adventures dividers have to be bought separately from here: http://www.spielgeek.com/adventures.html. That's where I got them from.

I received the Adventures dividers today. They are still of the same quality as before, which is good. The most significant thing to note is that there are no separate dividers for the Traveller upgrades. There is just "Page" and "Peasant". There is also a single divider, "Events", for events.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 08:49:50 pm »

The most significant thing to note is that there are no separate dividers for the Traveller upgrades. There is just "Page" and "Peasant".

That's as it should be. I think the only reason that they're separate in the Adventures box is so that they could reuse the insert.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 12:07:30 am »

The most significant thing to note is that there are no separate dividers for the Traveller upgrades. There is just "Page" and "Peasant".

That's as it should be. I think the only reason that they're separate in the Adventures box is so that they could reuse the insert.
I actually don't own a physical copy of Adventures yet, so I didn't know whether or not they are separated in the box.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 12:09:48 am »

I actually don't own a physical copy of Adventures yet, so I didn't know whether or not they are separated in the box.
Page and Peasant have slots, then all the Page upgrades have a slot, and all the Peasant upgrades have a slot.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.