Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Theme in deck building games  (Read 14804 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Re: Theme in deck building games
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 11:12:22 am »

long dead thread here, but I was looking around for what people here think of other deckbuilders and this thread showed up.

I have to say that I was surprised to find that people don't think Thunderstone is very thematic.  Heroes kill monsters aided by equipment.  Go to town or go to the dungeon.  I guess the monster carcasses having effects is a little weird, but, idno, maybe it's like honor or something.  (I've only played a few times, fwiw.)

Agree, disagree?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:34 pm »

Thunderstone has one of the worst fits of mechanics to theme I've ever seen in a game. It is awful. People complain about spending treasure in Dominion but keeping it in your deck. In Thunderstone you spend rations to buy a feast and keep the rations and keep the feast. That's entirely illogical. Don't get me started on the elves who specialize in firing arrows into the furthest reaches of dark underground caves. The game is entirely more suited to catching butterflies than fighting dangerous monsters in a dungeon since there is never any risk of your adventurers getting killed.

The only thing it has going for it is a shallow copying of themes found throughout fantasy literature, with nothing new added. As soon as you realize how the Dominion theme suits a gateway game it becomes obvious how the fantasy theme restricts Thunderstone to a niche market of nerds and geeks (who will speak Klingon when they grow older).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2013, 02:33:49 am »

Well, Treasures in Dominion were originally called "... Mine" as represent a source of income, but it was too wordy and in the end Dominion chose simplicity over theme. I'm glad it did.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.