Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Theme in deck building games  (Read 14795 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Theme in deck building games
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 06:06:23 am »

I dare not try to wrap my head around derivatives.

In fact, I find it easier to understand quantum physics than these weird financial constructs, they're like magic!

I mean, the system is inherently broken because the total amount of debt is bigger than the total amount of available money, right? And printing money decreases the value of current money (inflation) so even if debts are paid off with new money, the shortage of buying power will cause more debt.

Now I'm no economic expert, far from it, but still a curious party, I'll go ahead and make a topic for it. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 06:12:05 am »

In fact, I find it easier to understand quantum physics than these weird financial constructs, they're like magic!
I think what solve all this is to understand that money itself is already magic.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6123
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 10:06:32 am »

moved post to here

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 01:34:49 pm »

There's room in the world for all kinds of games! No need to choose which you prefer. I love some flavor-heavy games and some mechanics-heavy games.
I agree. With a hardcore gaming group, mechanics heavy games are preferred, but with casual gaming group flavor heavy games are the best.

This, though one doesn't exclude the other.
Disagreement here. Popular games like Scrabble, Chess, Poker, Mah-Jongg and Dominoes aren't flavour heavy. I, for one, am not imagining a flock of sparrows when I'm shuffling Mah-Jongg tiles. And even your typical Spiel des Jahres winner (for me this is a litmus test for "suitable for casual gamers") isn't necessarily thematic. Does the main player in Dixit really impersonate an oriental storyteller? What's the theme of Quirkle? And this one card game, where you try to collect green cards which do nothing for you during the game, I don't remember the name at the moment, do people really experience the acquisitions of territories when they pick up a green card?

What I mean was that you can have machanics heavy games that are also very and quite flavorful as well. Not that necesarily all mechanics heavy games are flavorful.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »
+2

Does the main player in Dixit really impersonate an oriental storyteller?

Um, yes? How are you guys playing Dixit? "My card has something blue on it"?

A dog, perhaps?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 01:53:12 pm »

Usually the person giving the clue gives a clue; the word or phrase used doesn't feel like a story at all.

I actually had no idea that the main player was supposed to be an "Oriental Storyteller" until reading this thread, and I've played the game a few times with people.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

I really want to play DixIt!
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »

Without knowing the rules it seems to be playable by forum but it isn't as successful as other games.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 03:25:39 pm »

Without knowing the rules it seems to be playable by forum but it isn't as successful as other games.
I wouldn't play it by forum.

My family loves it and we played with 7 people one time on holiday, good times.
It has a nice way to trigger shared memories from way back when.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 03:34:57 pm »

I could see Dixit being pretty fun in an electronic format. I suppose it *could* be done in a forum if the moderator inserts the images or URLs of each picture and then manages the PMs using those pictures. That seems like a lot of work for the moderator though.

I think it could make for a fun online game, though. You go into a lobby, and when the game starts, you are presented with your cards. The storyteller is given a text box to enter the information and then selects his card. All others are then submitted with votes being done very simply.

It could be fun online. Not sure if it'd be worth a forum game. Makes it a little harder to play surreptitiously at work.
A man has no signature

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »

I could see Dixit being pretty fun in an electronic format. I suppose it *could* be done in a forum if the moderator inserts the images or URLs of each picture and then manages the PMs using those pictures. That seems like a lot of work for the moderator though.

I think it could make for a fun online game, though. You go into a lobby, and when the game starts, you are presented with your cards. The storyteller is given a text box to enter the information and then selects his card. All others are then submitted with votes being done very simply.

It could be fun online. Not sure if it'd be worth a forum game. Makes it a little harder to play surreptitiously at work.
Well, there are dozens of online Pictionary clones and this is the same, just reversed.
So you don't even need to program a drawing API, just use some images. They don't even have to be images from the original game as long as they're surrealistic and trigger the imagination.

The thing is, you don't really get your "Why didn't you choose my card!?" or "How come you all guessed my card?" frustration across that well online. It would be too stale.

Pictionary is still fun, because people like drawing.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 08:07:14 pm »

It's got quite a nice iOS implementation. It works pretty much as you describe, except that you record the clues through the microphone so you can allow for things that aren't easily typed.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 03:43:21 am »

There's room in the world for all kinds of games! No need to choose which you prefer. I love some flavor-heavy games and some mechanics-heavy games.
I agree. With a hardcore gaming group, mechanics heavy games are preferred, but with casual gaming group flavor heavy games are the best.

This, though one doesn't exclude the other.
Disagreement here. Popular games like Scrabble, Chess, Poker, Mah-Jongg and Dominoes aren't flavour heavy. I, for one, am not imagining a flock of sparrows when I'm shuffling Mah-Jongg tiles. And even your typical Spiel des Jahres winner (for me this is a litmus test for "suitable for casual gamers") isn't necessarily thematic. Does the main player in Dixit really impersonate an oriental storyteller? What's the theme of Quirkle? And this one card game, where you try to collect green cards which do nothing for you during the game, I don't remember the name at the moment, do people really experience the acquisitions of territories when they pick up a green card?

What I mean was that you can have machanics heavy games that are also very and quite flavorful as well. Not that necesarily all mechanics heavy games are flavorful.

Yes, I was more responding to Archetype and your "This," rather than the second part of your statement.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 08:54:05 am »

My mother's birthday is the day before Thanksgiving. She usually doesn't get into eurogames, but DiXit seems right up her alley - her gaming style is very left-brained and creative and she loves charades and Balderdash and Pictionary. I think I'm going to surprise her by buying it right before the whole family gets together and springing a family game night on her birthday. Pretty psyched.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 09:37:36 am »

If you live in Houston, you can come play it this weekend!

Omer

• Steward
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 10:54:20 am »

Umm open your own thread people? This last page had nothing to do with theme in deck building games. Off-topic is as bad as spam imo.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:10:48 am by Omer »
This user is banned.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 11:00:40 am »
+3

Good thing you don't run this forum, then.  It is natural for discussion to branch and touch on subjects different than originally intended.

Omer

• Steward
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 11:15:12 am »

Good thing you don't run this forum, then.  It is natural for discussion to branch and touch on subjects different than originally intended.
It is, except in every other forum I've been to a moderator splits these discussions into seperate threads.

Wait wait wait, is there no rule against off-topic posts in this forum? Because if there is, then "branching discussion" or whatever way you want to put it is the same thing as off-topic. And if there isn't such rule, then congratulations, this is one of the only forums in the world with no such rule.

PS. I will be looking into posting off-topics posts in other threads, and if a moderator warns me I'll be replying with "It is natural for discussion to branch and touch on subjects different than originally intended." Brilliant, thank you.
This user is banned.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 11:29:08 am »
+3

Have fun at those other forums, then.  You haven't been contributing positively and your attitude is unacceptable.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 04:08:05 pm »
+7

Im sorry Theory, you cannot post that you have banned him in this thread because that is not he original topic of the thread.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 04:53:50 pm »
+3

Well, if I knew we were allowed to branch out, I wouldn't have opened 122 topics!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 07:04:12 pm »
+1

Im sorry Theory, you cannot post that you have banned him in this thread because that is not he original topic of the thread.
Quoting off-topic post for ban.

On topic, making a more thematic deckbuilding game seems totally possible.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 07:13:09 pm »

Dominion 2?

I have a space war themed deck building that i am trying to get my friend to prgram as an app/ web program but he never has time!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 04:00:29 am »

Dominion 2?

I have a space war themed deck building that i am trying to get my friend to prgram as an app/ web program but he never has time!
Please no, my budget is too limited for Dominion 2.
I mean, I don't even have all the current expansions yet; missing Alchemy, Cornucopia and Hinterlands.
And then I need to find/make a big suitcase to fit everything.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 10:16:34 am »
+1

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:19:42 am by () | (_) ^/ »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.