Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: The Godfather  (Read 16837 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: The Godfather
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 05:05:44 pm »

Adaptation is also great. I've recently seen Synecdoche, New York.... ehm... I don't know if I like it because I don't know if I get it. It's a little bit too absurd/strange for my taste.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:06:50 pm by Qvist »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 05:06:01 pm »

I liked Shutter Island.  Like others, I not get Lost in Translation at all.

One of my all time favourite movies is still Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  But it's not one I watch often.

Love ESotSM. Have you seen Adaptation, though? Adaptation is still my favorite Charlie Kauffman film.

I have not.  It should probably go on my list.  I haven't seen 12 Monkeys either, which is mentioned in this thread too...

And no, I haven't seen many classics, Godfather included.  :P

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »

Some more Time Travels for you

Bill and Ted!
Star Trek IV
Star Trek First Contact

Also, the Philadelphia Experiment, which I always get mixed up with Philadelphia, thats caused some uncomfortable situations I can tell you!
Not to mention Philadelphia Story.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »

Adaptation is also great. I've recently seen Synecdoche, New York.... ehm... I don't know if I like it because I don't know if I get it. It's a little bit too absurd/strange for my taste.

I did like Synecdoche, but it's certainly more flawed than Adaptation, or Eternal Sunshine, or Being John Malkovich.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 06:07:50 pm »

Butterfly Effect
Don't forget Butterfly Effect 2 and 3.  Seriously? Butterfly Effect?  I've blocked most of it out already, I think in the beginning this all worked out there with the time travel, but I remember that the end is as bad as it can get...?

Edit: Vote: 12monkeys.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:09:21 pm by DStu »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 06:08:59 pm »

Butterfly Effect
Don't forget Butterfly Effect 2 and 3.  Seriously? Butterfly Effect?  I've blocked most of it out already, I think in the beginning this all worked out there with the time travel, but I remember that the end is as bad as it can get...?

What is this quoting? 

Anyhow - I've seen BE3, but not BE2.  I really enjoyed BE1 - despite terrible reviews.  Directors Cut ending is 100% better.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:02 pm »

Butterfly Effect

What is this quoting? 
Qvist listing time travel movies.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »

It's definitely not a high quality movie. But I like it very much. I still remember watching it the first time where I get caught by all the shocking moments from the blackouts where he drew the bloody pictures and hurt himself and so on. It was very tense.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2012, 07:13:58 pm »

Bill and Ted!
Star Trek IV
Star Trek First Contact

Also, the Philadelphia Experiment, which I always get mixed up with Philadelphia, thats caused some uncomfortable situations I can tell you!

My favorite time travel stories (Connie Willis) will, alas, never see the screen, because they're more like the length of Game of Thrones.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:50 pm »

Bill and Ted!
Star Trek IV
Star Trek First Contact

My favorite time travel stories (Connie Willis) will, alas, never see the screen, because they're more like the length of Game of Thrones.

yeah, Homestuck: the Movie

isn't happening
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2012, 02:23:48 am »

Overhyped from a summer blockbuster / timetravel action movie perspective sure.  From a "this is a secretly artistic movie" - I enjoyed it.  The timetravel shit was dumb.

I don't think it succeeded on a summer blockbuster OR time travel action movie perspective.

Timetravel movies are 95% shite anyway, the time travel bit never works without a paradox!
This is one of the reasons 12 Monkeys is so good

Timecop begs to differ!

Haha, damn you, that was the set up to my next line!!

Are we also including the Sequals and Timecop: The Series in that?

I don't know - but they are going in my queue.

Excellent time travel movies:

Ground Hog Day
Triangle
Timecrimes
Primer (!!!!!)
Source Code
My guilty time travel pleasure: A Sound of Thunder

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2012, 10:28:30 am »

I think my favorite time travel movie in terms of avoiding weird wonky paradox crap is Millennium. I remember the premise more than the actual movie, so I don't remember if it was a good movie, but I do remember that it handled time travel fairly decently.

But yeah, most time travel stories are crap. Even Terminator's time travel was crap. It doesn't stop it from being a great movie. It's just another one of those where you have to ignore the prodding questions about time travel. I was able to accept Looper by not focusing on the time travel.

Getting back on topic, I did watch the Godfather back in college. I should probably rewatch it, as I've forgotten so much. I never did see the sequels, though. I should remedy that.
A man has no signature

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 03:31:18 pm »

Everyone needs to see The Godfather and The Godfather Part II. I think Part II is the greatest film I've ever seen, but it took me a few viewings to appreciate it more than the first.

On the time travel topic, I love Primer. As a very low budget independent film produced by people who are not filmmakers, it doesn't really have the best film production values, but it doesn't need to. The plot is definitely the best time travel plot I've seen, and I love how crazy stuff gets in the final act.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 07:53:21 pm »
+1

Godfather was great to watch as a child when I had a 5hour long attention span.
FREDO. I KNOW IT WAS YOU. *kiss of death

Subtle and prolonged character development can make a great movie, or lose a modern audience completely.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 12:19:31 pm »

Citizen Kane on the other hand, CF, is IMO a great movie.

Yes. I think it helps if you recognize that a lot of Citizen Kane is good not because of the plot but just because it's "visually inventive," which is admittedly kind of a wonky reason to like a movie, but still.

I've read that this is the same reason why the Mona Lisa is so great. There's nothing particularly unique about it now, but the use of architectural background, framing the subject from the waist up, the balance of proportions, the natural posture, and the unique facial expression, meant that the Mona Lisa was the first to have it all (that got recognized), and, like Citizen Kane, benefitted from being made by someone with a high profile.  Now so much derives from it that it no longer looks so special, but it was landmark at the time.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 12:22:24 pm »
+1

I've read that this is the same reason why the Mona Lisa is so great. There's nothing particularly unique about it now, but the use of architectural background, framing the subject from the waist up, the balance of proportions, the natural posture, and the unique facial expression, meant that the Mona Lisa was the first to have it all (that got recognized), and, like Citizen Kane, benefitted from being made by someone with a high profile.  Now so much derives from it that it no longer looks so special, but it was landmark at the time.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 12:51:02 pm »

I weep for the day in which All Along the Watchtower is no longer a great song.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 02:15:01 pm »

Citizen Kane on the other hand, CF, is IMO a great movie.

Yes. I think it helps if you recognize that a lot of Citizen Kane is good not because of the plot but just because it's "visually inventive," which is admittedly kind of a wonky reason to like a movie, but still.

I guess you're saying the same happened to Citizen Kane? I would recommend Kane not for its historic value in developing new techniques but because it's just a great movie, period, and holds up even now. To be honest, I think most movies are not visually inventive enough, but Kane is pretty relentless in coming up with interesting ways to show things. And then, on top of that, it's compelling both sociologically (it's partly about wealth and individualism in America) and psychologically (it's about one man's private unhappiness and obsession).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.