Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Tiny Little Goko Rule Mistake  (Read 9948 times)

sandstorm

• Baron
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
A Tiny Little Goko Rule Mistake
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:39:32 am »

Just kidding.  This mistake is HUGE!!!!

A big thumb to the first person who can figure out the major goko error with this game ... try to ignore my brutal play

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20121016/log.505cc44351c3ef8aa76faa56.1350452031440.txt

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: A Tiny Little Goko Rule Mistake
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:43:48 am »

He also has a Sea Hag on turn 2. Not that I would mind. Is this a an adventure?

sandstorm

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 01:46:03 am »

This is not an adventure.  It was a pro game against another human.

I'm not sure I understand your sea hag comment but regardless that is not the major problem with this game.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:07:38 am »
+9

Bug: Goko logs are still really hard to read compared to isotropic logs.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 02:09:36 am »

the duchy purchase with $8 gave it away >_<

As for the turn 2 Sea Hag, he just drew it at the clean-up phase. nothing unusual there.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:16:01 am »
+5

https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/an_empty_province_pile_does_not_end_the_game_when_colonies_are_in_play ?

Well it shouldn't be a problem any more because according to this they were fixing it nine days ago! And you know how Goko likes to address problems promptly and fully.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 08:14:04 am »

That Get satisfaction thread is depressing.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:15 am »

That Get satisfaction thread is depressing.

FTFY
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 10:59:08 am »

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:33 am »
+1

One of my favourite bugs is when you beat someone lower ranked than you you can lose rating.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 11:20:37 am »

One of my favourite bugs is when you beat someone lower ranked than you you can lose rating.

technically this can happen with TrueSkill too.
------------------
Q: Well there must be a bug in the system because I jumped into a 4 person race with 3 lower ranked individuals, won the race and my position in the league I was in dropped about 50 spots.

A: Surprisingly, this is not a bug and it happens when players with very small σ but widely varying μ get matched together (thanks to rugdivot for figuring this out). For example, try this link.

So, what is going on here? Between any two games of a gamer, the TrueSkill ranking system assumes that the true skill of a gamer, that is, μ, can have changed slightly either up or down; this property is what allows the ranking system to adapt to a change in the skill of a gamer. Technically, this is achieved by a small increase in the σ of each participating gamer before the game outcome is incorporated. Usually, a game outcome provides enough pieces of information to reduce this increased uncertainty. But, in a badly matched game (as the one described above) this is not the case; in this case, nothing can be learned about the winner from the game outcome (because it was already known before the game that the winner was significantly higher ranked than the other gamers he has beaten). So, conservatively speaking, the winner's skill might have slightly decreased! Note that this can only happen if the gamer is not matched correctly so that he can "prove" to the TrueSkill ranking system that his skill has not changed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:27:39 am by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 11:23:14 am »

technically this can happen with TrueSkill too.

Is that true?  I thought that you could basically gain damn near zero skill, but as long as the possibilities are Win / Loss / Draw, that you can't lose skill for a Win. 

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 11:31:35 am »
+1

Is that true?  I thought that you could basically gain damn near zero skill, but as long as the possibilities are Win / Loss / Draw, that you can't lose skill for a Win.

i edited my post to include the relevant bit from the TrueSkill FAQ. it might not be true for Isotropic, it depends i guess on how exactly dougz implemented it. but the basic idea seems to be that in the case of a severe mismatch (think Marin vs first timer), the marginal skill increase from the victory could actually be offset by the uncertainty change.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 11:52:36 am »

i edited my post to include the relevant bit from the TrueSkill FAQ. it might not be true for Isotropic, it depends i guess on how exactly dougz implemented it. but the basic idea seems to be that in the case of a severe mismatch (think Marin vs first timer), the marginal skill increase from the victory could actually be offset by the uncertainty change.

Ahhh.  Makes sense.  I think DougZ put the uncertainty increase change on a daily basis.  Of course, we don't really know what the ranking # on goko is... is it mean skill - uncertainty?   Is it just the mean skill #? 

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 11:55:04 am »
+4

Ahhh.  Makes sense.  I think DougZ put the uncertainty increase change on a daily basis.  Of course, we don't really know what the ranking # on goko is... is it mean skill - uncertainty?   Is it just the mean skill #?

well we can find that out easy enough. rabid asked for specific numbers related to how the rankings worked in the last goko Q&A, just go look at goko's response :).

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 11:58:35 am »
+1

In the next-to-last implementation (and probably the one before that), I'm quite sure that this could also happen on Isotropic.  The next-to-last increased your \sigma once per day for every day on which you played a game. So if you play just one game, and the gain on mean skill was lower than the increase of uncertainity, you would lose rank despite winning. The one before afair  increased uncertainity with every game, so probably was original TS.
Now, it increases your uncertainity each day no matter if you play or not, so maybe this does not happen in this version, as there is no need to increase uncertainity per game when you increase it per day, and the whole change seems like it was made to come around the need to increase \sigma each game, for some reason.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

I reported that to them a long time ago. Interesting to see all these other bugs pop up that we beta testers didn't even catch.

sandstorm

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 09:22:27 pm »

I gave you a double +1 for finding the secret bonus bug

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 01:30:53 am »
+10

I gave you a double +1 for finding the secret bonus bug

Whenever I read one of these threads pointing out yet another glaring bug in Goko, I picture Jeff Bridges in the first Iron Man movie yelling at his underlings' inability to recreate the arc reactor: "TONY STARK BUILT THIS IN A CAVE!"

Only here it's "DOUGZ BUILT ISOTROPIC IN HIS SPARE TIME!"

Seriously. One guy created an online implementation of Dominion in his free time far better than an entire team with millions of dollars behind them ever will. Sad.
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 11:11:36 am »

Seriously. One guy created an online implementation of Dominion in his free time far better than an entire team with millions of dollars behind them ever will. Sad.

Agreed. I think the big difference is that DougZ really knew the game mechanics well when he started coding. There are tons of bad assumptions about the Dominion mechanics that are really easy to make if you're not an expert at the game, and Goko made most of them. Fixing those mechanics after you've built the entire game already is a nightmare.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 11:15:54 am »
+2

Agreed. I think the big difference is that DougZ really knew the game mechanics well when he started coding. There are tons of bad assumptions about the Dominion mechanics that are really easy to make if you're not an expert at the game, and Goko made most of them. Fixing those mechanics after you've built the entire game already is a nightmare.

Also, as Isotropic is the private beta for Dominion, Isotropic itself has some really good beta testers...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.