Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Pearl Diver and Mystic  (Read 5017 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Combo: Pearl Diver and Mystic
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:20:28 pm »
+3

This is actually a great combo.  Pearl Divers are cheap, and once they've put something on top of your deck, your Mystic can scoop it up.  Better than Spy/Mystic because of the cost.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Pearl Diver and Mystic
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:33:21 pm »
+1

This is actually the first real combo I can think of with Pearl Diver. It's pretty sweet.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:37:55 pm »
+1

I can't help but think that Scout would pair better with Mystic.  Yes, Scout is more expensive, but you get to look at four cards.  Pearl Diver just looks at one.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:44:22 pm »
+1

I can't help but think that Scout would pair better with Mystic.  Yes, Scout is more expensive, but you get to look at four cards.  Pearl Diver just looks at one.

inb4 Robz
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:48:35 pm »
+1

I don't actually think so.

1) The difference in cost between $2 and $4 is actually huge. You can pick up $2s with spare midgame buys if you're building an engine much easier than $4s.
2) Scout doesn't draw a card. So if done wrong, the scout actually *hurts* you unless you see a victory card. A hand with a bunch of Pearl Divers and no mystic - well, you just play them as cantrips, they didn't hurt you. A hand with a bunch of scouts and no mystic? Not so good.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:53:41 pm »

Ah, I see what you mean.   Picking up two Pearl Divers instead of one Scout (assuming available +buy) is less likely to hurt you, even if it may not benefit a lot.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:15:06 am »

This sounds a lot like conspirator/great hall only it doesn't whiff quite so badly if you get just Mystics as opposed to when you get just Conspirators, since you can at least play multiple Mystics and there's also a chance you'll draw by getting lucky guesses.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 08:47:26 am »
+1

This sounds a lot like conspirator/great hall only it doesn't whiff quite so badly if you get just Mystics as opposed to when you get just Conspirators, since you can at least play multiple Mystics and there's also a chance you'll draw by getting lucky guesses.

That's why Mystics cost more.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 12:47:09 pm »

Sounds pretty sweet. In a local tourney I stumbled onto Mystic+Wandering Minstrel.

Mystic+Festival+Library is pretty nice too.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 12:51:36 pm »
+2

Sounds pretty sweet. In a local tourney I stumbled onto Mystic+Wandering Minstrel.

Play Mystics, wish for a Bulbasaur, play Library, draw more Mystics, profit?

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 12:56:11 pm »

That's why Mystics cost more.

But the Pearl Divers cost less.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 01:01:50 pm »

Essentially, but the library helps you recoup your failed wishes as well, with the festival (1 of per library) you get additional buys

I basically blind wished for mystic, or if a previous mystic made it not blind wished for that. then played festival, library profit.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 01:41:47 pm »

Vagrant works here too. Well, assuming you won't complain if the Vagrant draws the card instead of the Mystic. And it can even happen that the Vagrant draws an Estate and then you get lucky with Mystic after that!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 05:23:51 pm »

Are you allowed to wish for a card that isn't a Dominion card? I mean, you could obviously wish for a card that  isn't in the current game for the same effect, but still.

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 05:29:37 pm »

This has come up before and yeah you can wish for the rules to poker or Mot the Barber if you really want to be extra sure you don't get your wish.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 06:20:01 pm »

This has come up before and yeah you can wish for the rules to poker or Mot the Barber if you really want to be extra sure you don't get your wish.

Unless your running some ultra Fairgrounds deck, you could just wish for a card not in your deck.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 06:42:23 pm »

Yeah, it's one of those things where the only real reason to wish for Bulbasaur is as a joke... but there's no good reason to forbid it, either, so why not, have some fun :)

I guess TECHNICALLY you could have a Black Market and not remember what you bought from it, and thus have a possibility of having any card in your deck, and wishing for a Non-dominion card is the only way to guarantee that you don't make your wish right... well, it could happen. Somehow.

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 06:52:42 pm »
+2

Sometimes I think this forum is actually just a machine for brute-forcing every possible game state in Dominion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.