Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another help me choose an expansion :)  (Read 10693 times)

Selenn01

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Another help me choose an expansion :)
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:06 am »

Hello,

I am sorry to bother you all with this, but I am getting 2 boxes of Dominion for Christmas and need your help. I am quite of dominion newbie ( I did around 50 games, mainly on BGA when it was up, now on Goko) and I introduced my significant other yesterday using Goko. He liked it very much, and will buy a box for christmas.

Here is why I have some difficulties: I will buy the french version ( I don't mind play in english, but some people who will play with me may) and at the moment only Base, Intrigue, Prosperity and Hinterlands (for big boxes) are available, sadly Seasides is out of print/ out of stock.

So I am wondering between getting Base and Intrigue (which I've tried and liked on BGA) or maybe Base and Hinterlands. Later I may try to get a second-hand Seaside.

What do you think? Any tips and/ or other combination is welcome :) Thanks in advance!!

Ps: I saw a nice offer for Cataphract sleeves, on sleevedominion.com (sp?), it seems a nice alternative from FFG sleeves. Have some of you tried them and can vouch for them?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:11:55 am by Selenn01 »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Another help me choose an expansion :)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:47:15 am »

personally I would pick base + prosperity here, but really all three complement the base set.  maybe go for intrigue if you really want hinterlands early, as hinterlands has lots of big money/centralizing cards that intrigue will help to mix up a bit.

I can't vouch for any sleeves but there is a thread about sleeve dominion in the advertisements forum.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:44:52 am »

Both are good, really. If you want more simplicity, go for intrigue. Otherwise, Hinterlands is excellent.
Also, Hinterlands is better if you fear the out of stock.

(et prend Abondance au passage)

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:07 am »

IMO, if you are teaching a lot of new people or playing games with more than 4 players, Base/Intrigue would probably be best. Otherwise, your second choice sounds good, or maybe Intrigue/Prosperity or Intrigue/Hinterlands.  Base set is wonderful for teaching people, but pretty boring for more experienced players.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 10:08:02 am »

I spent a lot of time with Intrigue and Hinterlands in real life play over the weekend, and will echo Aaron0013 on this.  The two have some nice interactions, and Base can get pretty boring.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Selenn01

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:30:11 am »

Woow thanks everyone for your help!

I won't be playing with more than 4 people and most of the time it will be 2 players. I am a bit surprised that base game seems boring. You don't play with your base game anymore, just Intrigue then?
I thought some cards from base game were essential, like chapel or throne room, do you have any equivalent in Intrigue? Sorry for the newbie question, I don't know all the cards by heart yet :)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 10:34:37 am »

I won't be playing with more than 4 people and most of the time it will be 2 players. I am a bit surprised that base game seems boring. You don't play with your base game anymore, just Intrigue then?
I thought some cards from base game were essential, like chapel or throne room, do you have any equivalent in Intrigue? Sorry for the newbie question, I don't know all the cards by heart yet :)

I play with all sets and I imagine most do.  Base isn't boring, it's just vanilla.  But vanilla mixes in great with other flavors.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 10:35:03 am »

The base game is not boring, but I think it need at least two expansions to be more interesting (otherwise, it's juste big money all the time).
The equivalent for chapel in intrigue is probably steward (http://www.dominiondeck.com/cards/steward).

If you play with beginners, the base set first is the best choice.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 11:13:42 am »
+1

Welcome to the forums.

I think what most people mean is that base game only gets boring very quick, not the base game in general. Because it has very basic cards the combo potential isn't that great and many games seem similar. But Base + X is nice - it's always nice to have some basic cards mixed in.

Are the people you're playing with new to gaming in general? If yes, Hinterland may even be a little bit too complicated IMO because of all the "timing and reaction stuff", but Base, Intrigue and Prosperity are all good choices.

aaron0013

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:21:26 am »

IMO, Prosperity is much more complicated than Hinterlands, but that is really beside the point. (I see where you're coming from though)

And yes I use Base set randomized in with the rest of the sets.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 11:22:46 am »

Base + Intrigue.

Oh wait, you want reasons as well>
Damn...erm.....

thats the order I did it?
Thats the way Donald X released them deliberately (with influence from RGG though)
Because you get more cards
Intrigue has less complete game changers than Prosperity?

That's about all i have got really
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:24:38 am by Ozle »
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »

I have to agree that Base alone gets boring quickly. But Base mixed in with other sets never gets old. You always want a nice mix of a few more complex cards and a few simple cards.

Also there's one thing to consider about Prosperity. If you have only Base + Prosperity and you do random setups, you'll end up playing colony games about half the time. Colony games tend to take a bit longer than the normal province game, so if you prefer shorter games it might not be the best choice for your to start with. As soon as you have more sets to mix in this won't be an issue any more obviously.

Selenn01

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 12:11:40 pm »

The people I am playing with are just new to Dominion not games in general. However, I looked at Intrigue and Hinterlands cards, and I think Hinterlands ones may be a bit complicated for the beginning (especially the "when you gain" effect), whereas Intrigue ones are very clear.

So I think I'll follow your advice, pick Base game and Intrigue, and when we are ready for more get Prosperity and Hinterlands.

Thanks a lot everyone for your very friendly welcome and help! I will follow this forum with interest to learn tips and strategies :)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:22:04 pm »
+3

Thanks a lot everyone for your very friendly welcome and help! I will follow this forum with interest to learn tips and strategies :)

Prepare to absolutely crush your friends each and every time you play then...

Ironically this forum destroyed my offline play in Dominion because I got so much betterthan everyone else offline I played with.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

aaron0013

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 02:01:32 pm »

Also, Selenn, consider changing your profile picture.  Every time you post, I think it is Jonts writing ;D

Selenn01

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 02:07:34 pm »

Also, Selenn, consider changing your profile picture.  Every time you post, I think it is Jonts writing ;D

Oops :) Is this one better? :)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 02:26:50 pm »

There's plenty of room for another courtyard. It is a fantastic card after all.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 03:33:32 pm »
+1

Oops :) Is this one better? :)
Oh hi Lekkit!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 04:35:31 am »

base prosperity or base seaside
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Selenn01

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 03:15:01 am »

base prosperity or base seaside

Thank you but, I think i'll wait for Prosperity, Seaside is not currently available in french.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 20 queries.