Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Legions  (Read 3690 times)

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Dominion: Legions
« on: October 13, 2012, 06:26:12 pm »
+2

These cards have been in the works for a while.

New Rules:
Wound Tokens
During your clean-up phase, if you have one wound token on your Wound mat, remove one and only draw to 4 cards. If you have 2 or more wound tokens on your Wound mat, remove 2 and only draw to 3 cards.

There are 30 of this support card:
Soldier
Cost:1*
[Action-Attack]
+1 card
+1 action
+$1
Trash this card. Each other player puts a wound token on their wound mat.
--
(This card is not in the supply)
When you trash this card, return it to the Soldier pile.

Kingdom Cards:

Draft
Cost:3
[Action]
Gain 2 soldiers from the soldier pile.

Recruiting office
Cost:4
[Action]
+$2
Gain a soldier from the soldier pile.

Chaplain
[Action]
Trash any number of cards from your hand. +1 card per card trashed in this way. If you trashed any cards costing $0, trash this card.

Battle Plan
Cost:5
[Action]
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them, then put the rest back in any order. +$1 per treasure discarded in this way. +! action per action discarded in this way.

General
[Action]
+3 cards
+1 buy
Reveal your hand. If you have no victory cards in it, +$2.

Barracks
[Action-Reaction]
+$1
+1 buy
--
While this is in play, you may buy Soldiers as though they are in the supply.
--
When any player (including you) returns a Soldier to the Soldier pile, you may reveal this card to gain the returned Soldier.

Fortifications
Cost:2
[Action-Reaction]
+1 card
+$2
Discard a card.
--
When another player plays an attack card, you may reveal and set this card aside. At the start of your next turn, +$1 and return this card to your hand.

Reinforcements
[Action]
Trash a card.
+2 cards
--
When you buy this card, gain 3 soldiers from the Soldier pile.
--
When you trash this card, gain 2 soldiers from the Soldier pile.

Stronghold
[Victory]
2VP
At the end of the game, you may trash 5 treasure from your deck. If you do, this card is worth 3VP instead of 2VP.

Strategist
[Action]
+1 action
Name a card. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If at least one of them is the card you named, put one copy of it into your hand. Discard the remaining revealed cards.

Strongbox
[Treasure]
$?
When you play this card, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, Strongbox is worth $2. Otherwise, Strongbox is worth $1.

Weaponsmith
[Action-Reaction]
+$1
Gain a card costing up to $4.
--
When another player gains an attack card, you may reveal and set aside this card from your hand. If you do, reveal and discard an attack card from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $4, putting it into your hand. At the end of the current player's turn, return Weaponsmith to your hand.

Supply Wagon
[Action]
+1 card
+1 action
Choose one: Gain 2 copper into your hand. OR Gain a silver. OR Gain an action card, then gain a number of copper equal to half its cost. (rounded up)

Drunkard
[Action-Attack]
Reveal, then discard, the top card of your deck.
If it is a...
...Action, draw up to 6 cards in hand
...Treasure, +$2
...Victory, each other player discards the top card of their deck, then gains a curse, putting it on top of their deck.

Conquered Village
[Action-Attack]
+2 actions
Choose one: Discard a treasure card from your hand. If you do, each other player puts a wound token on their wound mat. OR +$2.

Medic
[Action]
Choose one: Remove up to 2 wound tokens from your Wound mat and gain 2 soldiers from the Soldier pile OR put a 2 wound tokens on your Wound mat and +2 cards, +1 action, +$1.

Gilt Shield
Cost:6*
[Treasure-Duration]
$2
If another player plays an attack card while this is in play, you may put it in your hand and ignore all effects of that attack. At the start of your next turn, discard this from play and +1 card.

Berserker
[Action]
You may trash an attack card from your hand. If you do not, trash this card.
+5 cards
--
If there is at least one copy of this card in the trash, this card costs $5.

Signal Horn
[Action]
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an action, play it immediately. Otherwise, +3 cards.

Invader
[Action]
Discard your hand. Put this card on your Empire mat.
--
At the end of the game, you receive 4VP for each card on your Empire mat.

Treaty
[Treasure-Victory]
0VP
$?
When you play this, reveal the top three cards of your deck. If any of them are victory cards, discard all 3 cards and Treaty is worth $3. Otherwise, this is worth $1 and put the cards back in any order.

Wine Cellar
[Action]
+1 action
Do this up to 4 times:
+1 card, discard a card.

Dungeon
[Action]
+2 actions
Gain an action card costing up to $4 onto your dungeon mat. You may trash this card. If you do, put 3 cards on your dungeon mat into your hand.

Sergeant
[Action]
+1 action
Gain a soldier from the Soldier pile. Look at the top 5 cards of your deck. Put any soldier cards into your hand. Put the remaining revealed cards back in any order.

Guard
[Action-Attack]
+2 cards
+1VP
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
End your Action phase and go immediately to your Buy phase.
--
When you discard this from play, if you did not buy any cards this turn, put 2 wound tokens on your Wound mat.

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate any feedback :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:33:59 pm by jamespotter »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Conquest
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:08:15 pm »

Just some first-glance comments, mainly about wording and rules.

New Rules:
Wound Tokens
During your clean-up phase, if you have one or more wound tokens on your Wound mat, remove one and only draw to three cards.

At a glance this mechanic sounds really strong; games in which a lot of Wound tokens are distributed seem comparable to Ghost Ship slogs where everyone perpetually has 3-card hands and can't advance through their deck; but the attack is stronger than Ghost Ship in that you don't even get to choose which 3 cards you get for each hand (and, of course, that multiple Ghost Ships played on the same turn don't stack the attack). It sounds painful.

Outpost could be a hilarious counter to Wounds.

Soldier
[Action-Attack]
+1 card
+1 action
+$1
--
Any time you would trash this card, return it to its pile.

Any particular reason for this to be "when you would trash" rather than "when you trash"? (Cf. Fortress, which also goes to an unorthodox location when trashed.) And if it is "when you would trash", why not just have the instruction be "Return this to the Soldier pile" instead of "Trash this"; it's kind of perverse for the card itself to give an instruction that it knows isn't going to be carried out ever.

Draft
[Action]
Gain 2 soldiers.

...from the Soldier pile.

Recruiting office
[Action]
+$2
Gain a soldier

Barracks
[Action-Reaction]
+$1
+1 buy
--
While this is in play, you may buy soldiers as though they are in the supply.
--
When any player (including you) trashes a Soldier, you may reveal this card to gain it instead.

As the cards are written, the reaction never happens—no one ever trashes a Soldier. Either this should be "when any player returns a Soldier to the Soldier pile", or Soldier should be "when you trash this". The "instead" isn't necessary; just write "you may reveal this card; if you do, gain the trashed Soldier".

Fortifications
[Action-Reaction]
+1 card
+$2
Discard a card.
--
When another player plays an attack card, you may reveal and set this card aside. At the start of your next turn, +$1 and return this card to your hand.

Seems over-strong for $2; this might need to be a $3 or $4 card.

Reinforcements
[Action]
Trash a card.
+2 cards
--
When you buy this card, gain 3 soldiers.
--
When you trash this card, gain 2 soldiers.

Strategist
[Action]
+1 action
Name a card. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If at least one of them is the card you named, put it into your hand. Discard the remaining revealed cards.

As phrased, it sounds like if there are multiple copies of the named card, you get them all. This presumably isn't your intention (and is too good for $2), so you should probably rephrase it.

Strongbox
[Treasure]
$1
When you play this card, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, Strongbox is worth $2.

This should either be listed as "$?", like Bank and Fool's Gold, and have the instruction "If you don't, it's worth $1"; or if it's listed as $1, then the instruction should just say "if you do, +$1".

Supply Wagon
[Action]
+1 card
+1 action
Choose one: Gain 2 copper into your hand. OR Gain a silver. OR Gain an action card, then gain a number of copper equal to half its cost. (rounded up)

Can I gain an Apothecary and a Copper? I can't figure out the answer.

Drunkard
[Action-Attack]
The player to your left reveals, then discards, the top card of his deck.
If it is a...
...Treasure, +$2
...Victory, Each other player gains a curse, putting it on top of their deck.

This is no go, I'm afraid—it makes the left-hand player's Moat, Lighthouse, Secret Chamber, and Beggar worth way more than anyone else's.

Gilt Shield
[Treasure]
$2
When you would discard this from play, instead set it aside. If a player plays an attack card while this is set aside, you may put it in your hand and ignore all effects of that attack. At the start of your next turn, if this is still set aside, discard it and +1 card.

Wouldn't this be simpler as a Treasure-Duration?

Invader
[Action]
--

I kind of want this to be an Action-Victory card that says "If this is on your Empire mat at the end of the game, it is worth 4VP; otherwise it is worth 0." Same effect; wording slightly more consistent with other cards.

Treaty
[Treasure-Victory]
0VP
$0
When you play this, reveal the top three cards of your deck. If any of them are victory cards, discard all 3 cards and Treaty is worth $3. Otherwise, put the cards back in any order.

Same comment as Strongbox, basically.

Dungeon
[Action]
+2 actions
Gain an action card costing up to $4 onto your dungeon mat. You may trash this card. If you do, put 3 cards on your dungeon mat into your hand.

I like the theming of this one. Trash your Dungeon, set the prisoners free!

Sergeant
[Action]
+1 action
Gain a soldier. Look at the top 5 cards of your deck. Put any soldier cards into your hand. Put the remaining revealed cards back in any order.

All together now... from the Soldier pile.

Guard
[Action-Attack]
+2 cards
+1VP
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
You are reduced to 0 actions.
--
If you do not purchase at least 1 card while this card is in play, put 2 wound tokens on your Wound mat.

I think "End your Action phase and begin your Buy phase immediately" would have the same effect, and I feel it would be a little simpler as a description of what happens? And the under-the-line text should probably be "When you discard this from play, if you didn't buy any cards this turn...," so as to make the time at which it takes effect specific.

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:10:37 pm »

Thanks for the advice, I fixed most of those pesky wording changes  :P

I mistyped the wound token rules, I was looking at an older version in my files Here is the correct version:
New Rules:
Wound Tokens
During your clean-up phase, if you have one wound token on your Wound mat, remove one and only draw to 4 cards. If you have 2 or more wound tokens on your Wound mat, remove 2 and only draw to 3 cards.

These are much less stackable.

Fortifications
[Action-Reaction]
+1 card
+$2
Discard a card.
--

Seems over-strong for $2; this might need to be a $3 or $4 card.
I thought so too at first, but think of it this way: By itself, the top is a very weak $2 card...very comparable to Duchess. When this card reacts to an attack, it becomes  +1 card, +1 action, +$1 where you draw a copy of Fortifications. Since Fortifications is a weak card, this circumstantial reaction is not overly powerful.

Supply Wagon
[Action]
+1 card
+1 action

Can I gain an Apothecary and a Copper? I can't figure out the answer.

Fixed this to half of cost in coins plus 2 copper if it has a potion in its cost.

Drunkard
[Action-Attack]
The player to your left reveals, then discards, the top card of his deck.
If it is a...
...Treasure, +$2
...Victory, Each other player gains a curse, putting it on top of their deck.

This is no go, I'm afraid—it makes the left-hand player's Moat, Lighthouse, Secret Chamber, and Beggar worth way more than anyone else's.

I didn't catch that...I changed it so the discarded card is yours...this isn't quite what I was going for, but I couldn't come up with an easier fix...

Gilt Shield
[Treasure]
$2
When you would discard this from play, instead set it aside. If a player plays an attack card while this is set aside, you may put it in your hand and ignore all effects of that attack. At the start of your next turn, if this is still set aside, discard it and +1 card.

Wouldn't this be simpler as a Treasure-Duration?

The reason it was not a Treasure-Duration was because I did think it would work...I tacked on that last benefit very last minute and missed that it would make the card a legal duration.

Invader
[Action]
--

I kind of want this to be an Action-Victory card that says "If this is on your Empire mat at the end of the game, it is worth 4VP; otherwise it is worth 0." Same effect; wording slightly more consistent with other cards.

Invader originally read almost exactly like you specified, but then I ran into a conundrum: In order for a victory card to count towards your final score, it has to be in your deck. If you took the Invaders off of the Empire mat at the end of the game, they would then have no value. It could be fixed, but it would require a lot of extra wording, so I was lazy and "Voila!" it is only an action.

Dungeon
[Action]
+2 actions

I like the theming of this one. Trash your Dungeon, set the prisoners free!

This is one of the most fun cards of the set to play. It was originally called "Prisoners' Camp" (in keeping with the +2 actions= villagey location theme), but I decided that had too many negative connotations.

Thanks so much for your input!

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »

WanderingWinder's fan expansion is called Conquest. The threads are scattered on pages 16-18 of this forum.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=730.0

I will comment on the individual cards later. Suffice it to say I like wounds, but I would like to see cards that give positive wounds, which let you counter a wound token or draw up to 6 or 7.

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:18:11 pm »

Thanks for letting me know...
 :-[

Ummm... Dominion: Legions?

(Thanks, Dictionary.com)

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Legions
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:05:14 pm »

The top of Fortifications certainly isn't weak. Even on the first reshuffle it's a terminal Gold more often than not. And even if it hits Estate, it's a lot stronger than Duchess because Duchess's main problems are:

a) The opponent gets the same benefit so it's basically nullified
b) Like Spy, it sometimes just doesn't do anything because the card on top is one you want to keep.

Successfully filtering an Estate off the top is actually quite good for your next hand; it's basically the same effect as Caravan. Of course Fortifications isn't stackable like Caravan but I'd even argue that its same-turn effect is stronger. I think this is a $5 card, though I probably wouldn't buy it much.

Edit: I guess this is all assuming you have an Estate or Curse to discard, which is true more often than not. (And of course is always true in the scenario where it draws an Estate.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:05:15 pm by WheresMyElephant »

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »

I understand what you mean, WheresMyElephant, but your opponent does have to play an attack card for the bottom to activate at all, and it really is not that good of a top...a terminal silver with one card cycling. And, when the bottom activates, you are still hit by the attack...

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:13:08 pm »

jamespotter, I disagree. Think of a card that did: +$3, discard a card. Now think of a card that did: +3 cards, discard a card. The first one is a strong $4, the second is a weak $3. This is somewhere in the middle. A $2 reaction should have an effect too weak to be put on any card otherwise.

If you are hit with a Cursing attack for example, you can reveal a Horse Traders, get your 6 card hand, and use HT for +$3, +1 buy and discard 2 cards, leaving you with 3 in hand. The same scenario with Fortifications, you have a 5 card hand, use Fortifications for essentially +$3, +1 card and discard 1 card, leaving you with 4 in hand. Fortifications is usually stronger than Horse Traders whether you are attacked or not.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »

I understand what you mean, WheresMyElephant, but your opponent does have to play an attack card for the bottom to activate at all, and it really is not that good of a top...a terminal silver with one card cycling. And, when the bottom activates, you are still hit by the attack...

The top is a lot better than you're describing. Drawn on turn 3 it has somewhere in the area of a 50% chance of being a terminal Gold, and is still better than plain terminal Silver otherwise. I don't think you can name another $2 card which is ever a terminal Gold on turn 3*, and you'd be hard pressed to match the above description even at $3-4. I think Smithy's and Horse Traders' odds of being worth $3 are inferior; Quarry and Baron carry significant risks and drawbacks  (including that Quarry's buying power is often wasted with no $6 Actions available). You can make what you will of Death Cart I guess.

If this is a $2 effect it's certainly one like we've never seen, and again this is neglecting the Reaction!

*Edit: Poor House can be a turn 3 terminal Gold if you're very lucky, but not in a situation where it's very useful: it'll give you a $4 hand so it might as well be a Workshop. I guess there's a miniscule chance to draw PH/Silver/3xEstate for a $5 hand but whatever.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:14:12 pm by WheresMyElephant »

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 05:09:41 pm »

Ok, I hadn't been thinking of it in those terms. What if I changed it to:

Fortifications
[Action-Reaction]
+1 card
+$2
Discard 2 cards.
--

Does this seem more balanced?

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 05:22:02 pm »

Fortifications
[Action-Reaction]
+1 card
+$2
Discard 2 cards.
--

It is more balanced, but it is looking even closer to Horse Traders. I always suggest this as a Reaction top half:
+3 cards, discard 2 cards.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 05:25:51 pm »

I don't think you can name another $2 card which is ever a terminal Gold on turn 3*, and you'd be hard pressed to match the above description even at $3-4. I think Smithy's and Horse Traders' odds of being worth $3 are inferior; Quarry and Baron carry significant risks and drawbacks  (including that Quarry's buying power is often wasted with no $6 Actions available). You can make what you will of Death Cart I guess.

Don't forget Coppersmith!

Sakako

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »

Soldier
[Action-Attack]
+1 card
+1 action
+$1
--
Any time you would trash this card, return it to its pile.

Any particular reason for this to be "when you would trash" rather than "when you trash"? (Cf. Fortress, which also goes to an unorthodox location when trashed.) And if it is "when you would trash", why not just have the instruction be "Return this to the Soldier pile" instead of "Trash this"; it's kind of perverse for the card itself to give an instruction that it knows isn't going to be carried out ever.

You're right; it should be "when you trash", but since it has a cost ($1*), you can trash it to things like Remodel or Forge or some other such trashing card, in which case it should say "When you trash this, return it to the Soldier pile".

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 10:35:47 pm »

Fortifications
[Action-Reaction]
+1 card
+$2
Discard 2 cards.
--

Beggar is also a terminal Gold for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:25:10 pm by RD »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.