Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Silk Road is Awesome!  (Read 2287 times)

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
Silk Road is Awesome!
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:30:35 pm »

I love Silk Roads,
Silk Roads are cool.
When I buy Silk Roads
They make me.....drool!

I have been playing Dominion for about one and a half years now (and still loving it!), and have been playing Iso for just about as long.  I just got Hinterlands this summer, but I can seriously not think of a single instance that I bought Silk Road.  I knew it was a strong card, but I never knew how to use it right, so I just never bought it.

But last night, everything changed!

In the kingdom were Silk Road, Ironworks, and Woodcutter.  I immediately saw the combo and started buying up all the Ironworks as well as a couple Woodcutters for +buy.  At the end of the game I had all 8 Silk Roads, and 11 Estates.  I thought my opponent had won for sure with his 5 Provinces.  Imagine my surprise when I saw that I beat him 43 to 33!  I did some calculations and found that buying one duchy would have given me 11 more points which he could have only matched with 9 Provinces.  This changes my whole perspective of the card.

So I want to hear your thoughts on Silk Road.  How would you use it without an enabler like Workshop or Ironworks.  And what kind of huge odds have you overcome by buying them? 

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Silk Road is Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 04:35:47 pm »

You're right that you generally need an enabler.  Some sort of gainer or plus buys usually.  It can also go nicely with other cheap green cards like great hall, island, or even tunnel.  There is also value in just grabbing a few Silk Roads in the end game.

Here's what WanderingWinder wrote about it.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1331.0
Well you *do* need a signature...

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 06:51:09 pm »

Silk Road is a very nice alt-VP strategy. It's similar to Gardens, although in my experience it's better, and generally has more enablers than Gardens. Many of the same Garden strategies apply--i.e., Ironworks and Co.--but just about any other low-cost victory card can make the Roads dominate.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:58 pm »

Hmm.  What about Silk Road and Gardens on the same board....how would that work?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 08:47:50 pm »

A mix of both?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 10:00:21 pm »

Hmm.  What about Silk Road and Gardens on the same board....how would that work?

Silk Road edges out Gardens on the head-to-head- especially if there are extra alt-VP cards, and since there are both SR and Gardens there are.  You want to get Silk Roads, then Gardens.

Gardens does have an edge over SR in games where a lot of the bloat comes from Curse and Copper instead, and of course you generally want both, but SR usually should be prioritized.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »

I used to think Gardens was superior to Silk Road, but I was wrong.

It's a lot easier to play Gardens, just buy a buttload of Coppers. It's a lot harder to play Silk Road (all those Victories you're scooping up can slow down your deck), but they're usually worth more than Gardens when played correctly.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 20 queries.