Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 68  All

Author Topic: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Mafia Wins!)  (Read 164659 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Day 1 in progress)
« Reply #525 on: October 22, 2012, 11:35:14 am »

Chicken chicken.

Chicken vote: Robz
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 22, 2012, 11:36:35 am »

I still don't think the case against Robz is very good I do think Jo is deserving of a little pressure at least.

Vote: Jotheonah
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 22, 2012, 11:39:02 am »

I still don't think the case against Robz is very good I do think Jo is deserving of a little pressure at least.

I don't disagree that jo has been acting suspiciously even before the curse, but how exactly does "pressure" work against someone who can hardly talk?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 22, 2012, 11:40:27 am »

Chicken vote: Cuzz.
Chicken.

Chicken unvote.

Chicken vote: Insomniac.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 22, 2012, 11:41:42 am »

Chicken.

Chicken unvote.

Some OMGUSing.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:10 am »

I don't disagree that jo has been acting suspiciously even before the curse, but how exactly does "pressure" work against someone who can hardly talk?

I don't think my vote will go anywhere per say but he should know that I'm expecting a bit more content out of him in general (I said this in my big post where I mentioned my feelings on everyone). And we do have a decent way of communicating Volt is doing it quite a bit and quite well.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

Chicken.

Chicken unvote.

...Well this definitely makes me feel like my vote is in the right place.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 22, 2012, 12:43:43 pm »

The problem is that scum Joth has only been seen once in a normal game (M-III), where he was SK. In that particular game, I had no problem spotting his scummy nature D1 because he sat there trying to stir up suspicions. Here, he's just been absent.

I don't know. Joth isn't the quiet type, but I've never seen him as Mafia. OTOH, he's often quite suspicious and an easy mislynch target. For my money... I don't think I would vote him. He's too smart to intentionally play his first "Mafia" game as a lurker when f.DS is at it's peak of railing against lurkers. I feel much more comfortable with my vote on Robz, who is a solid enough player to lead the field in posts WHILE being scum, and spend his time trying to mercilessly pursue a LaL policy without actually taking the time to differentiate scummy lurking and inadvertent town lurking. This particular game has a high skill average. I just don't think you'll see scum being lurky here just for the sake of being lurky.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 22, 2012, 12:49:21 pm »

I don't think my vote will go anywhere per say but he should know that I'm expecting a bit more content out of him in general (I said this in my big post where I mentioned my feelings on everyone). And we do have a decent way of communicating Volt is doing it quite a bit and quite well.

So you want to vote for jo, but don't want to encourage his lynch? And you're trying to get more content out of him despite it being really tough for him to express any content at the moment?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 22, 2012, 12:52:07 pm »

The problem is that scum Joth has only been seen once in a normal game (M-III), where he was SK. In that particular game, I had no problem spotting his scummy nature D1 because he sat there trying to stir up suspicions. Here, he's just been absent.

I don't know. Joth isn't the quiet type, but I've never seen him as Mafia. OTOH, he's often quite suspicious and an easy mislynch target. For my money... I don't think I would vote him. He's too smart to intentionally play his first "Mafia" game as a lurker when f.DS is at it's peak of railing against lurkers. I feel much more comfortable with my vote on Robz, who is a solid enough player to lead the field in posts WHILE being scum, and spend his time trying to mercilessly pursue a LaL policy without actually taking the time to differentiate scummy lurking and inadvertent town lurking. This particular game has a high skill average. I just don't think you'll see scum being lurky here just for the sake of being lurky.

Galzria hasn't played scum in the past 12 normal games, so can I forgive him for being misinformed on this.

Active play is actually very, very hard for scum, even for experienced players. Even I had a hard-ish time keeping my post count up in MVIII, and even moreso in MIX, when I was scum. It's not easy. That's why Insomniac's active scum play in MXII was so impressive.

Jotheonah is often suspicious and an easy mislynch target, I agree. He tends to get on a lot of wagons, and have a lot of strong opinions. From now on, I will take this to be town Jonah, and I wish I had realized it in MXII.

But this isn't that Jo. He's much quieter here, and I'm having a hard time understanding why, being that he's active in other places. I know he started a new job, sure. I don't think he's a slamdunk by any means. But I think Galzria is underestimating how consuming the tendency to lurk as scum is.

And I still don't see why any scum would actually be afraid of leaning toward the lurky side, since so seldom do we actually punish lurking. I think he could have bet that once again, there wouldn't be any actual lynching of lurkers, or that someone would come in and say, "No scum would lurk now that we are all anti-lurking!" Because someone always does. Blowback against policy lynches is much, much more popular than policy lynches themselves.

And I am distinguishing scummy lurking from town lurking, Galzria. Archetype, for instance, is huge lurking, but I expect Archetype to lurk no matter what his alignment is. And I already said that.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 22, 2012, 01:14:09 pm »

Robz, while it was short, ZM-1 begs to differ with you. Active scum is not difficult - at all - for an experienced player, especially one whom people often look to lead the town anyway. If I'm not mistaken, you actually agree with me on this point, per your case on Voltgloss.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 22, 2012, 01:17:49 pm »

Robz, while it was short, ZM-1 begs to differ with you. Active scum is not difficult - at all - for an experienced player, especially one whom people often look to lead the town anyway. If I'm not mistaken, you actually agree with me on this point, per your case on Voltgloss.

Well, ZM1 is an entirely different animal, and I think you are wrong. Scum lurk, and experienced scum lurk sometimes, too.

I considered Grujah a decently experienced player, with a very good, pro-town record in MIX. He vanished as scum. SO it does happen. Maybe it wouldn't happen to you, I don't know, I think ZM1 is too different, and you haven't been scum in a regular game since the early days.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 22, 2012, 01:24:21 pm »

I have to say ZM is quite a bit different. And I think a lynch all lurkers policy in them is probably quite strong and much more likely to be pushed through. In ZM the pace is high enough that scumslips are even over looked ocassionally which favours scum. And In M3 (as scum) Voltgloss was quite quiet.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 22, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »

Well, ZM1 is an entirely different animal, and I think you are wrong. Scum lurk, and experienced scum lurk sometimes, too.

I considered Grujah a decently experienced player, with a very good, pro-town record in MIX. He vanished as scum. SO it does happen. Maybe it wouldn't happen to you, I don't know, I think ZM1 is too different, and you haven't been scum in a regular game since the early days.

I'm not saying they haven't - obviously that's not been true. Hence why LaL is at it's peak here. What I'm saying is that given where our community is right now in their feelings towards lurking, an experienced player rolling scum seems a lot less likely to go "I know, I'll lurk this game!". Yes, Grujah lurked hardcore. He got away with it in one game, but didn't in another. Given the shift in the community, I very much doubt he would actively pursue that strategy again at this time. And I think Joth is smart enough to not do so as well. He's an easy target because no matter what he does he looks scummy (sorry Jo, but is true!).

To further that point, my scum vibe from you comes from the fact that on the one hand you sit there arguing we should lynch Joth for lurking, because "that's how scum play" and we should "lynch all lurkers without exception",but then you turn around and argue case on Volt that says "he's suspicious BECAUSE he's been active, and that's what scum Volt would do". I actually AGREE with your thought about Volt, and you usually read him well. So it really throws me when you come back with a weak case and vote on Joth, using a case that's on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as your case on Volt. It's like you're trying to figure our which argument is going to stick best.

I don't think Joth is scum. I don't think he would choose to lurk as scum here. I think he's a bad lynch.

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 22, 2012, 01:34:11 pm »

I have to say ZM is quite a bit different. And I think a lynch all lurkers policy in them is probably quite strong and much more likely to be pushed through. In ZM the pace is high enough that scumslips are even over looked ocassionally which favours scum. And In M3 (as scum) Voltgloss was quite quiet.

We've ALL come a long way since M-II/M-III. Ahh, good 'ol rookie days. I look at Volt now, and I'm constantly shocked that I was ever able to hoodwink him into voting you way back when.

Mafia Record:

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 22, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »

We've ALL come a long way since M-II/M-III. Ahh, good 'ol rookie days. I look at Volt now, and I'm constantly shocked that I was ever able to hoodwink him into voting you way back when.

I agree. I'm just not sure that jo wouldn't lurk it out as scum. Certainly with it at its peak even I would consider lurking because as scum I was active (I'm also normally active as town). So the meta for Insomniac scum is to be quite involved its been true in every game I've been scum (MIX, RMM1, MXII, BMV) so to switch things up a bit I would consider lurking even with it at its height especially because I don't think we actually will push a policy lynch of lurkers through.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 22, 2012, 01:38:37 pm »

I'm not saying they haven't - obviously that's not been true. Hence why LaL is at it's peak here. What I'm saying is that given where our community is right now in their feelings towards lurking, an experienced player rolling scum seems a lot less likely to go "I know, I'll lurk this game!". Yes, Grujah lurked hardcore. He got away with it in one game, but didn't in another. Given the shift in the community, I very much doubt he would actively pursue that strategy again at this time. And I think Joth is smart enough to not do so as well. He's an easy target because no matter what he does he looks scummy (sorry Jo, but is true!).

To further that point, my scum vibe from you comes from the fact that on the one hand you sit there arguing we should lynch Joth for lurking, because "that's how scum play" and we should "lynch all lurkers without exception",but then you turn around and argue case on Volt that says "he's suspicious BECAUSE he's been active, and that's what scum Volt would do". I actually AGREE with your thought about Volt, and you usually read him well. So it really throws me when you come back with a weak case and vote on Joth, using a case that's on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as your case on Volt. It's like you're trying to figure our which argument is going to stick best.

I don't think Joth is scum. I don't think he would choose to lurk as scum here. I think he's a bad lynch.

My issue with Volt is NOT that he has been too active, I don't think. It's that his case against me is a nothing case, and I'm a little suspicious of him getting chickened.

I mean, I don't have a full case against him, which is why I am not voting him. The person I am voting for remains ashersky, who I think is the leading candidate for scummy behavior, and one of the lead lurkers.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 22, 2012, 03:27:05 pm »

Vote Count 1.8:

Insomniac (2): Grujah, jotheonah
Eevee (1): Cuzz
ashersky (1): Robz888
Robz888 (4): Galzria, Captain_Frisk, ashersky, Voltgloss
Cuzz (1): yuma
Voltgloss (1): Archetype
yuma (1): Eevee
jotheonah (1): Insomniac
Not voting (1): shraeye

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch.

Currently Cursed: Voltgloss, jotheonah

Curse deadline: Tuesday Oct 23, Noon PDT (3 pm forum time)
Lynch deadline: Tuesday Oct 23, Noon PDT (3 pm forum time)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 22, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »

Under 24 hours and counting, and some people are really lurking. Where is Archetype? Where is yuma? Where is Frisk? Has Frisk justified his vote on me? The other 3 have (albeit badly, in my opinion).

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »

Under 24 hours and counting, and some people are really lurking. Where is Archetype? Where is yuma? Where is Frisk? Has Frisk justified his vote on me? The other 3 have (albeit badly, in my opinion).

I don't get how you don't see the case against you.

You've been pretty buddy with me, and you just said you agreed with all my reads, Galzria says what I said about him is fabricated though I don't feel it is, and so does Volt so they both suspect you as that, and then as soon as Volt became a chicken you thought he was obvscum which I highly disagree with.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 22, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »

I don't get how you don't see the case against you.

You've been pretty buddy with me, and you just said you agreed with all my reads, Galzria says what I said about him is fabricated though I don't feel it is, and so does Volt so they both suspect you as that, and then as soon as Volt became a chicken you thought he was obvscum which I highly disagree with.

I know this, I just don't think it amounts to much of a case. I don't know if I have been "pretty buddy" with you, though I did agree with your reads. Or I thought I did. I did a closer reading of Galzria after that, and I guess you and I did ultimately disagree. I NEVER said Volt was obvscum, I have not voted for Volt, and I don't intend to vote for Volt. I merely said him becoming a chicken, well it could be a plot. All in all he is not drastically different from town Volt at all (although scum Volt really isn't all that different).

If these are the reasons people are voting for me, then yes I will continue to say the case is vague and baseless.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 22, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »

I mean, I don't have a full case against him, which is why I am not voting him. The person I am voting for remains ashersky, who I think is the leading candidate for scummy behavior, and one of the lead lurkers.

Yet another night with a lot of good discussion.  I'll work on replying to those, especially the joth discussion, soon.  First, to respond yet again to Robz's disingenous argument:

I may have a lowish post count, but I am posting content (as well as info when requested).  I did a run down of my posting times, and they just don't line up with most other players--my day starts here in the early evening the day and runs overnight forum time, so I get interaction at the beginning of my day.  I'd argue I'm not lurking--I'm following, responding, contributing.

I wanted to point out two more nuggets for the Robz case--lost in all of this was Robz reply #368, which raised some concern at the time (this was Robz "completely agreeing" with everything Insom said), which I think is indicative of some of Robz odd/scummy play this game.  It's also a good example of many of Robz's fluff posts that inflate his "non-lurker" post count.

I would also point out Robz #381, in which he states his firm belief that scum want to get on town wagons early, for strategic sake.  And then I'd note he is second on my wagon after Insom voted me at 4:21 a.m. (my time) for "lurkiness" even when I wasn't even the low post count at the time.

So, in short, I'm good with my Robz vote still.

PPE: Insom separately mentions what I said above.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 22, 2012, 04:52:53 pm »

I would also point out Robz #381, in which he states his firm belief that scum want to get on town wagons early, for strategic sake.  And then I'd note he is second on my wagon after Insom voted me at 4:21 a.m. (my time) for "lurkiness" even when I wasn't even the low post count at the time.

So you think I would explain something that should be viewed as scummy, and then do that very thing?

My initial vote against you was not one I thought would remain for long, but since then you became quite scummy, in my view. I do believe you are posting more content, but that doesn't exactly make me trust you. I haven't seen scum ashersky yet. It could very well be the scum ashersky writes more engaging posts.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 22, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »

So you think I would explain something that should be viewed as scummy, and then do that very thing?

My initial vote against you was not one I thought would remain for long, but since then you became quite scummy, in my view. I do believe you are posting more content, but that doesn't exactly make me trust you. I haven't seen scum ashersky yet. It could very well be the scum ashersky writes more engaging posts.

Yes, actually.  It fits the Robz "so smart he would never do that" meta to a T.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 22, 2012, 05:04:49 pm »

I wanted to point out two more nuggets for the Robz case--lost in all of this was Robz reply #368, which raised some concern at the time (this was Robz "completely agreeing" with everything Insom said), which I think is indicative of some of Robz odd/scummy play this game.  It's also a good example of many of Robz's fluff posts that inflate his "non-lurker" post count.

Is it scummy though? I mean, would I do that as scum, is the answer you have to ask yourself.

I make no apologies for doing series of shirt posts instead of lengthy single posts. I think they are easier to read and more memorable. My eyes tend to skim the monologues.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 68  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.