Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 68  All

Author Topic: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Mafia Wins!)  (Read 164636 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Day 1 in progress)
« Reply #375 on: October 19, 2012, 03:29:59 pm »

I "tried to be associated with"? What's that mean? That when you bailed over a "concern" that he got to L-2 (even though the lynch was ridiculously unlikely), I immediately placed my vote on and argued that in order for a wagon to be effective, people can't go "OMG IT'S A WAGON! BAIL BAIL BAIL"?

Yeah, I'm confused.

You didn't vote for the Ash wagon for lurking nor the Grujah wagon for lurking you didn't vote Grujah until after he showed up if I recall. But even before he showed up you were like YA lynchin lurkers!

That is false. On so many levels. I DID vote Gruj for lurking, and I DID vote him before he showed up. I also argued strongly against people unvoting. The only thing you're right about was that I didn't vote Ash, but instead voted Robz. I fully explained why however, and DID FoS Ash in the same post. I then went on to elaborate the difference between militant LaL policy, and smart LaL policy.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 19, 2012, 03:49:02 pm »

Insomniac got spooked off of the wagon really quickly, and was in the classically scummy third position. He was happy to vote but really worried about an actual lynch going down. Either didn't want to lynch his scumbuddy, or worried about his position on a townie wagon? Suspicious but doesn't seem quite like scum Insomniac to me.

Eevee shows up in somewhat scummy 4th place, and makes the awful "enough pressure votes" comment. Eevee has defended this as simply bad town play, but still something has seemed off to me about him this game.

Here's what I want to know.  Maybe somebody has done this.  I think I'll do it later today out of curiosity.  Why are these places on a wagon scummy?  Is it linked to how many people are needed for a lynch?  In past games, when town has been lynched where do scum tend to be on the wagon?  In past games when bussing is involved, where do scum tend to be on the list?

Question for when I do this analysis, should I only count the wagons at a lynch, or should I be looking at any votecount?  What classifies something as a "wagon" instead of being classified as "just a few votes"

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2012, 03:50:00 pm »

Insomniac got spooked off of the wagon really quickly, and was in the classically scummy third position. He was happy to vote but really worried about an actual lynch going down. Either didn't want to lynch his scumbuddy, or worried about his position on a townie wagon? Suspicious but doesn't seem quite like scum Insomniac to me.

Eevee shows up in somewhat scummy 4th place, and makes the awful "enough pressure votes" comment. Eevee has defended this as simply bad town play, but still something has seemed off to me about him this game.

Here's what I want to know.  Maybe somebody has done this.  I think I'll do it later today out of curiosity.  Why are these places on a wagon scummy?  Is it linked to how many people are needed for a lynch?  In past games, when town has been lynched where do scum tend to be on the wagon?  In past games when bussing is involved, where do scum tend to be on the list?

Question for when I do this analysis, should I only count the wagons at a lynch, or should I be looking at any votecount?  What classifies something as a "wagon" instead of being classified as "just a few votes"

It's one of those standard tells.  I don't think there's any official guideline.  I was seriously considering doing such an analysis for f.ds to see how it stacks up... but man that is work.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »

It's one of those standard tells.  I don't think there's any official guideline.  I was seriously considering doing such an analysis for f.ds to see how it stacks up... but man that is work.
It's exactly the sort of ridiculous analysis that is appealing to me.  Maybe that says a lot about my personality... :(

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »

It's not super ridiculous.  As scum, you don't want to start a townie wagon, because you're pissing off some townie.  You want to get in because you want the lynch to happen, but you don't want to hammer.

Ergo - those middle positions are scummier.  I'm assuming that over time someone did the analysis and figured out that there is a correlation.

Probably not good enough for the only possible case, but its still a datapoint to consider.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2012, 04:02:31 pm »

I think if you did an analysis you would find a whole lot of scum at the L-2, L-1, and L positions.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2012, 04:03:13 pm »

My general thinking is that scum want to get in on the wagon as early as possible. Later wagoners are much more suspicious seeming.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2012, 04:04:15 pm »

My general thinking is that scum want to get in on the wagon as early as possible. Later wagoners are much more suspicious seeming.

To clarify, they WANT to do that. They want to get in early. But it's hard, you know? Because they don't know which wagons will take off. So they end up late to the party, because they bet wrong. I mean, it's rather fickle which wagons go places Day 1.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »

Third and fourth vote are the scummiest for the following reason:
A votes X. Now, it is just a single vote.
B votes X. Now, it looks like this might take off.
Scum might vote X here to try and start a wagon going or alternatively
C votes X. Scum would vote here to try and push the wagon fast.
5+ it gets less "scummy", as people are than really analyzing X, and also might be aware that their main lynch might not be possible so are thinking of X is good enough.

The Cuzz/Arch case is interesting, although I'm more inclined to believe Cuzz's explanation than VG seems to be.

Also, I have since talked about more than chickens since then, although I won't fault you for missing the discussions, given your new arrival.

I renew my fos on Shraeye, given his posting pattern over a full day has been short one liners with votes and nothing else of substance.  His Cuzz vote/unvote posts had six words that weren't part of the actual votes, total.

In fact, vote: Shraeye.  Shraeye is always talkative and abrasive in games, and town while at it.  He does long, winding analysis posts with dozens of quotes.  All of a sudden he's quiet and reserved?  Changing meta?  Or change of role?

Not overly good vibe. And Frisk went down in scumminess for some reason.. Hmm..

But Grujah claimed there was scum on that wagon, and I think that's probably true, again regardless of Grujah's alignment. If he's scum, hard bussing D1 is now the go-to scum strategy right? Or, if Grujah is town, a growing wagon on a townie early D1 might be tempting to hop onto. Even if it doesn't result immediately in a lynch (which, again, it was never going to), it puts Grujah under more scrutiny and maybe then the suspicion builds.

I didn't claim this.

I will be kinda on lower activity till tuesday due to college work. I'll try to input as much as I can.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2012, 04:21:06 pm »

But Grujah claimed there was scum on that wagon, and I think that's probably true, again regardless of Grujah's alignment. If he's scum, hard bussing D1 is now the go-to scum strategy right? Or, if Grujah is town, a growing wagon on a townie early D1 might be tempting to hop onto. Even if it doesn't result immediately in a lynch (which, again, it was never going to), it puts Grujah under more scrutiny and maybe then the suspicion builds.

I didn't claim this.

Now, this wagon seems RVS, but there is scum on it, I guarantee.
It's that scum vibe that goes "look, this sure is ridicoulus, but it just MIGHT work, I need to support it."

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2012, 04:32:19 pm »

Hmm.. Oh, seems like I did.  :o

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2012, 04:45:05 pm »

Robz, what are your thoughts on Galz?  In your own words, please. 

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2012, 05:45:55 pm »

Finally woke up.  What a day and night.  Thanks all for your congratulations, guys.

yuma's comments about Cuzz's flip-flop re: Archetype, and about that being something I would have been trying to find out, are dead-on correct.  shraeye seems to accept Cuzz's explanation.  I am not sure that I do. 

Glad to see that you and I are somewhat on the same page--that is more a compliment toward me, as I esteem your play as quite elegant, yet understated (sounds like a fine wine no?)

I don't really by Cuzz's explanation either, basically he had two sheeping moments in a row. 1. (I am supposing here that Volt's question was intended to be read as Volt suggesting that Archetype was a comparable and acceptable alternative to ashersky--I certainly read it that way the first time and suppose that Cuzz did as well) sheeping off the idea of Archetype being a potential lynch candidate. 2. Changing his line to sheep off shraeye.

I know that my first game as scum, M3, (it was my first game of online mafia period) I sheeped like crazy. That is all I did all game and it kept me out of suspicious light. My vote on Cuzz is because I think it is quite possible he is doing the same.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2012, 05:48:06 pm »

I would be interested as well since he just claimed to agree 100% with a completely fabricated set of statements on me.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »

It's exactly the sort of ridiculous analysis that is appealing to me.  Maybe that says a lot about my personality... :(
Ok, the moment where I was gung-ho to do this has passed.  I will not be doing this.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2012, 05:51:28 pm »

In every game I've played (well, 3) I've thought lynching lurkers was a bad idea. A lurker isn't mafia as much as a frequent poster could be. Now if someone just posts jokes or never posts anything that could help the town, then yeah, it's usually a good idea to lynch them.

I think I am going to say this over and over this game... but lynching lurkers only works if you lynch scummy lurkers. A player who doesn't post a high number, but consistently gives quality analysis opinions--w/o contradictions or slips--probably isn't the best candidate to lynch. But again, the more a player posts, the more town has an opportunity to analyze posts and the more opportunities scum has to slip and mess up. I think in every game I have viewed scum has lurked to an extent, but so has a town player or two. To differentiate the two requires comparing posts for content, trends, and interactions with players of known alignment.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2012, 05:53:30 pm »

Ok, the moment where I was gung-ho to do this has passed.  I will not be doing this.

I think from now on in my mafia ranking spreadsheet where I keep track of the games and the votes I will attempt to consistently keep track of the votes in what order they occur--of course this won't keep track of say an early vote that unvotes for some reason late and then votes again. The votes will have to be kept track of from the point of view of the final vote count. I am working on some other projects in that vein on the rankings already, but might try to put together something down the road. But probably not anytime soon enough for it to be used this game.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 19, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »

In order to answer your question, I did a 5 minute re-read of Galzria. Well, bleh. I don't think he seems very different from normal. He's less omnipresent than usual, and briefer, but what he does say is pretty token Galzria. Strong opens, a dash of humor, against lurking, anti-Robz agenda... vintage Galzria, really.

Now, he's not being as relentlessly (annoyingly, even) townish as usual. Galzria is someone very much like Jo to me: I know what they're like, I just really don't know what they're like when they are mafia, because they are almost always town.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 19, 2012, 06:06:04 pm »

In order to answer your question, I did a 5 minute re-read of Galzria. Well, bleh. I don't think he seems very different from normal. He's less omnipresent than usual, and briefer, but what he does say is pretty token Galzria. Strong opens, a dash of humor, against lurking, anti-Robz agenda... vintage Galzria, really.

Now, he's not being as relentlessly (annoyingly, even) townish as usual. Galzria is someone very much like Jo to me: I know what they're like, I just really don't know what they're like when they are mafia, because they are almost always town.

Eh, that's probably fair and true to an extent. Much like you, I've realized my value to town is greatest in later days from an analytical standpoint. I don't suck at D1, but it's a different beast. Honestly, for my first 7 town games, nothing worked. In my last one, something did. I'm just trying to replicate results. I'm present. I drive conversation when something pops up. But I'm not going tip involve myself in every issue. Through a mix of quiet observation and directed questions or statements, hopefully I'll feel decent by days end.

Yes though, it is a conscience shift from M-III->M-IX town Galz, to M-XI town Galz. One worked. The others failed.

Mafia Record:

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 19, 2012, 07:14:27 pm »

Vote Count 1.5:
Grujah (1): Eevee
Insomniac (1): Grujah
Eevee (2): jotheonah, Cuzz
ashersky (3): Insomniac, Robz888, Voltgloss
Robz888 (2): Galzria, Captain_Frisk
Cuzz (1): yuma
shraeye (1): ashersky
Not voting (2): Archetype, shraeye

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch.

Currently Cursed: No one

Curse deadline: Saturday Oct 20, Noon PDT (3 pm forum time)
Lynch deadline: Tuesday Oct 23, Noon PDT (3 pm forum time)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 19, 2012, 07:18:14 pm »

Btw, if you haven't noticed already, all vote counts are linked in the first post so they are easier to find.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 19, 2012, 08:28:55 pm »

Btw, if you haven't noticed already, all vote counts are linked in the first post so they are easier to find.
Thanks, that's very helpful indeed.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 19, 2012, 08:35:09 pm »

Jorbles. Best mod ever.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 19, 2012, 08:37:49 pm »

Eh, that's probably fair and true to an extent. Much like you, I've realized my value to town is greatest in later days from an analytical standpoint. I don't suck at D1, but it's a different beast. Honestly, for my first 7 town games, nothing worked. In my last one, something did. I'm just trying to replicate results. I'm present. I drive conversation when something pops up. But I'm not going tip involve myself in every issue. Through a mix of quiet observation and directed questions or statements, hopefully I'll feel decent by days end.

Yes though, it is a conscience shift from M-III->M-IX town Galz, to M-XI town Galz. One worked. The others failed.

So we should give you a pass until D3 or so without having to really contribute?  I mean, it's easier for everyone to be "greatest on later days" since there are less people, more info to study, etc.

Can't just ignore D1 though.  Robz shouldn't either, even if he agrees with the "I am more important to town on later days" argument.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 19, 2012, 08:41:20 pm »

So we should give you a pass until D3 or so without having to really contribute?  I mean, it's easier for everyone to be "greatest on later days" since there are less people, more info to study, etc.

Can't just ignore D1 though.  Robz shouldn't either, even if he agrees with the "I am more important to town on later days" argument.

Great job parsing "You should just let me live until late game" from that...

Mafia Record:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 68  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.