Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 68  All

Author Topic: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Mafia Wins!)  (Read 165917 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Day 1 in progress)
« Reply #325 on: October 18, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »

Baby arrived, woo!

Will likely be posting next rather later this evening.  I've got a son to hug.

Whoo! Congrats!

Congrats! 
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2012, 06:24:27 pm »

About to do a complete reread--I like that I can still do that in this game compared to another behemoth sized game that I won't mentioned aside from calling it behemoth--but one thing I will say about ending this day early to avoid chickens...

I am not necessarily in favor of ending the day early, but not because I think we can get a lot of data from who is cursed, I think we will get some, but probably not enough to make a significant difference. However, if we do end early that is extra time that provides an opportunity for further discussion from town members and further opportunities for scum to slip or contradict or something... Ending the day early just for the sake of ending it early cuts the amount of content we have to analyze the next day.  Now I am not suggesting we purposefully extend the day. No, if we have a good lynch opportunity we should take it. Ideally for me, in a, what is this, a six day game would be to have the lynch occur somewhere in day 4 or so. Early enough that we aren't up against a deadline, but not so soon that we are rushing into things.

I'll be back later with more comments

Agree that being able to re-read is nice, compared to the behemoth.

Just completed the re-read of posts since my last post.  A few posts that stick out:

Grujah's "I have the most towny meta" seemed a bit far-fetched, but I'm not reading any scumminess in his posts, so maybe he's right?  Robz remains suspicious of Grujah, although he's focused on lurkers now.

Further on the discussion of trying to lynch before we get to chickens: VG and Robz seemed the most vocally supportive of the idea, CF the most opposed.  I've mentioned I think we cut off opportunity for town discussion if we hurry to end days due to the new mechanic.  So Frisk reads townier there.

FOS: Shraeye for popping in to plant the lurker vote after not posting for awhile and offering nothing else.  This after his odd "I have thoughts but don't share them" thing.

Insom is reading scummy to me, partly from his response to Gruj, and partly from starting the whole "let's count posts and vote on that, but wait let me give two people a pass thing."  Obviously, there's probably some OMGUS in there that can't be discounted, since he just settled on me.

PPE Baby -- Congratulations!  Welcome to fatherhood (if your first)!
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2012, 06:25:50 pm »

Baby arrived, woo!

Congrats!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:53 pm »

All too soon Frisk jr. And Volt jr. And Davio jr. Will be here schooling us all. Enjoy the baby years men!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:11 pm »

I disagree.  I commented on the "how do we talk as chickens" issue, which I think was important.

Also, my time zone is way off from the rest, and as Volt pointed out, I wasn't lurking, I was sleeping.  For everyone's info, if you don't know, I'm in Australia.  So I'm a gazillion hours ahead of the U.S., where forum time is, and a million hours ahead of Europe, where the rest of you are.  So I'll state my belief that "lurking" means reading/following without posting, where as not being online can't be "lurking" since you aren't around to lurk.
Yes, you did agree with the yes/no method of saying chicken.  While important, I feel that that is very minimal content that either scum or town could easily post.  Engaging other players is less lurkerish than agreeing to systems.

Also, I understand the time difference, and don't fault you for sleeping.  Sleep is good.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:19 pm »

Baby arrived, woo!

Congrats! And seriously, lurk all you want for a while. We'll make an exception here.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2012, 06:29:17 pm »

Baby arrived, woo!

Fine, if you insist, I give you permission to name him Robz888 Jr. (Or Robby Jr.) :)

Congrats!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:15 pm »

Congrats, Volt.

Now, I find these often "I'm going to reread all now, and than comment" a bit scummy, actually. Done this too much as scum. I can elaborate if necessary.

Query to those voting ashersky:  would you be just as comfortable voting Archetype?

No, it's not about postcount.  That's silliness.  Look at their actual posts.  Ashersky's were mostly one-liners and fluff.  Archetype has put thought into his posts and engaged me.  He's contributed much more than ashersky, regardless of the number of posts either has had.

Actually stinks town now.

Grujah's "I have the most towny meta" seemed a bit far-fetched, but I'm not reading any scumminess in his posts, so maybe he's right?  Robz remains suspicious of Grujah, although he's focused on lurkers now.

Uhm, my "scumminess" has nothing to do with true-ness of that statement. A wierd call to make right there, +1 scum point to you.
I explained what my meta is, and half of this is semi-forced by me. I breadcrumb roles often. I claim not to make forceclaim in face of danger. I lurk hard as scum and post heavily as town (this is stiched to me these last 2 games I was scum in).

Now, you read that, and just think over whether those are good traits to have as a) town b) scum. Has nothing to do with my scumminess this game.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:26 pm »

Maybe we should give his wife a present and lynch him so he spends more time with the family?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:53 pm »

Lynch all the parents?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2012, 06:41:20 pm »

This is a special case.  Actually, he's probably going to be sitting around in the hospital bored for a while.  I brought my laptop and played terraria while the wife and baby slept.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2012, 06:43:05 pm »

I don't think I've seen Grujah post this much in any games we've played together.

I said I didn't see any scumminess, not the other way around, so your response is confusing to me.  I meant you sound townish to me.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2012, 06:45:49 pm »

I think BMMMMMMMM and MVI is where I was among top posters.

Doesn't matter if you saw scumminess or not. You say that it might be right because "i wasn't scummy". My scumminess has NOTHING to do whether that is right or not. And you are somehow connecting two unconnectable things - truthness of that statement and my scumminess.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2012, 06:47:07 pm »

Doesn't matter if you saw scumminess or not. You say that it might be right because "i wasn't scummy". My scumminess has NOTHING to do whether that is right or not. And you are somehow connecting two unconnectable things - truthness of that statement and my scumminess.

Okay.  As for the original statement, that you have the towniest meta, I think galz and eevee give you a run for that title.  Eevee's meta is basically "town."

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2012, 06:51:39 pm »

You sure? Please elaborate. Especially intrigued about Galz.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2012, 06:57:31 pm »

You sure? Please elaborate. Especially intrigued about Galz.

I don't think I can elaborate, given the games are ongoing, although he's dead in both.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2012, 07:02:09 pm »

I might oversimplify things, but Eevee's meta is "friendly, jokster". Those are easy to fake as scum.

Galz meta, at least from my angle, was that he seems scummy even as town (MIV, MVI). Also, confident to an extent. First is not good towny trait, second is okish at both sides.

But well, if you can talk, too bad :(

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2012, 07:04:49 pm »

Okay.  As for the original statement, that you have the towniest meta, I think galz and eevee give you a run for that title.  Eevee's meta is basically "town."

Eevee's meta is "town" because Eevee's alignment is always "town." I'm still not really getting that as strongly this game though.

Anyway, unvote. Ashersky is here and participating, and I didn't consider the opposite-hemisphere issue. If we're gonna have someone at L-2 for lurking it probably shouldn't be him right now.

Vote: jotheonah

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2012, 07:15:22 pm »

- Lots of RVS and early game analysis... pretty good stuff there... weird not having an ehunt or theorel to do math for us

- The Grujah wagon starts with Voltgloss, joined by Robz, Insomniac and Eevee in consecutive posts. Eevee ends up getting some slack for his "pressure votes comment" and then by Frisk and Insomniac reacts.

- I personally don't mind Insomniac's reaction although I think perhaps it was unwarranted, but understandable.

- The Grujah drunk conversation I think is somewhat fruitless. Grujah has played as both scum and town power role when he said he was drunk. So I don't read anything into that at all. But along those lines, I do not take being drunk as an excuse for bad posts or slips. Anything posted at anytime is fair game, so I am not sure why you even mention that you are drunk. Then again, I don't drink, so I am not familiar with what being drunk even feels like.

- Someone noted that Voltgloss is being very "paranoid" was that the word used? I agree. Today's game is an interesting one because everyone has a very heightened awareness surrounding lurking due to the last two game. I think Volt is just reacting to that heightened awareness.

- Two changes in personality, Grujah and eevee. Grujah posting more and eevee just isn't as cute and cuddly as other's have noted.

- I think the scummiest thing I saw from the entire reread was from Cuzz:

Jorbles, can you Chicken Unvote even if your vote in not on anybody?

Yes.

I think this solves the "how to talk about people who are at L-1," no?

@Volt, I'd probably be just as happy with my vote on Archetype. For some reason he's seemed a bit more visible to me than ashersky, but I just rechecked Insomniac's count and he really only has one more post than ashersky.

followed by:

Query to those voting ashersky:  would you be just as comfortable voting Archetype?

No, it's not about postcount.  That's silliness.  Look at their actual posts.  Ashersky's were mostly one-liners and fluff.  Archetype has put thought into his posts and engaged me.  He's contributed much more than ashersky, regardless of the number of posts either has had.

Yeah I went back and reread, and I mostly agree with this.

This is interesting because Cuzz was willing to go back and recheck Insomniac's vote count, but he wasn't willing to take just a few seconds of time and read ashersky's five posts and Archetypes' six and notice the content difference.  I am actually wondering if this was the point's of Volt's asking this question, as it seems like something volt would try to do.

Once shraeye points out the content difference between the two, Cuzz quickly adjusts his statement. That is enough for me to vote: Cuzz

- as for the ashersky wagon, lynching scummy lurkers is great. But I still have a hard time being willing to classify anyone as a true "lurker" when we are so little into the day. There needs to have elapsed a long enough period for someone to truly lurk, that is a larger sampling size is needed to make that sort of statement.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2012, 07:29:04 pm »

Vote Count 1.4:
Grujah (1): Eevee
Insomniac (1): Grujah
Eevee (1): jotheonah
ashersky (4): Insomniac, Robz888, shraeye, Voltgloss
Robz888 (2): Galzria, Captain_Frisk
jotheonah (1): Cuzz
Cuzz (1): yuma
Not voting (2): ashersky, Archetype

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch.

Currently Cursed: No one

Curse deadline: Saturday Oct 20, Noon PDT (3 pm forum time)
Lynch deadline: Tuesday Oct 23, Noon PDT (3 pm forum time)

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 18, 2012, 07:31:40 pm »

This is interesting because Cuzz was willing to go back and recheck Insomniac's vote count, but he wasn't willing to take just a few seconds of time and read ashersky's five posts and Archetypes' six and notice the content difference.  I am actually wondering if this was the point's of Volt's asking this question, as it seems like something volt would try to do.

Once shraeye points out the content difference between the two, Cuzz quickly adjusts his statement. That is enough for me to vote: Cuzz

Huh, interesting. 

Vote: Cuzz

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2012, 08:53:44 pm »

Ooh they are talking about me! Me!

Slightly town reads on yuma and archetype, otherwise pretty null. Don't think the mistake Cuzz made is particularly scummy.

Cuzz

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 18, 2012, 10:29:50 pm »

- I think the scummiest thing I saw from the entire reread was from Cuzz:

Jorbles, can you Chicken Unvote even if your vote in not on anybody?

Yes.

I think this solves the "how to talk about people who are at L-1," no?

@Volt, I'd probably be just as happy with my vote on Archetype. For some reason he's seemed a bit more visible to me than ashersky, but I just rechecked Insomniac's count and he really only has one more post than ashersky.

followed by:

Yeah I went back and reread, and I mostly agree with this.

Yuma, I kinda see what you mean, but basically I was just being lazy with that first post, and you're right I guess that I "wasn't willing to take a few seconds of time." But I did mention that I got a feeling that Archetype had posted more real content, so afterwards I went back and tried to figure out what had stuck out to me (which obviously I should have done before the first post but alas). I then was going to clarify in a post of my own, got ninja'd by shraeye, and decided to just echo him instead.

I do find it a little far-fetched though that this was the "the scummiest thing from the entire reread." And shraeye's sheeping without any further comment seems kinda suspicious.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »

Yuma, I kinda see what you mean, but basically I was just being lazy with that first post, and you're right I guess that I "wasn't willing to take a few seconds of time." But I did mention that I got a feeling that Archetype had posted more real content, so afterwards I went back and tried to figure out what had stuck out to me (which obviously I should have done before the first post but alas). I then was going to clarify in a post of my own, got ninja'd by shraeye, and decided to just echo him instead.

Sounds good to me.
Unvote

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 19, 2012, 08:22:02 am »

Finally woke up.  What a day and night.  Thanks all for your congratulations, guys.

yuma's comments about Cuzz's flip-flop re: Archetype, and about that being something I would have been trying to find out, are dead-on correct.  shraeye seems to accept Cuzz's explanation.  I am not sure that I do. 

That said, ash's response of "sure my posts had content, I talked about chickens" (heavily paraphrased) is scummy enough to keep my vote on him.  The chickens thing is an area where scum can appear to be "posting content" without actually running the risk of offering any reads

I'm not saying the chickens issue is unworthy of discussion; I'm saying someone who talks ONLY (or, to a lesser extent, mostly) about the chickens issue has, to my eye, a good chance of being scum engaged in well-disguised active lurking. 

jo, what are your thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 68  All

Page created in 0.955 seconds with 20 queries.