Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68  All

Author Topic: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Mafia Wins!)  (Read 165497 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (Mafia Wins!)
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:25:22 pm »

Welcome to Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags

Spectator thread QT available on request - please PM me and I will send you the link.  Thanks!

Players Signed Up:
1. shraeye Fishing Villager killed N4
2. Robz888 Explorer lynched D1
3. Voltgloss Ambassador killed N1
4. Eevee Pearl Diver killed N3
5. yuma Sea Hag
6. Galzria Fishing Villager end gamed
7. Insomniac Fishing Villager lynched D4
8. ashersky Sea Hag lynched D2
9. Captain_Frisk Cutpure killed N2
10. Grujah Fishing Villager end gamed
11. Archetype Fishing Villager and Curser lynched D3
12. jotheonah Fishing Villager lynched D5
13. Cuzz Lookout

Vote Counts and Other Useful Links:
1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 First Curse 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Day 1 Lynch Second Curse
Day 2 Start 2.1 2.2 2.3 Third Curse 2.4 Fourth Curse 2.5 2.6 2.7 Day 2 Lynch
Day 3 Start 3.1 3.2 Fifth Curse 3.3 3.4 Day 3 Lynch
Day 4 Start 4.1 4.2 and Sixth Curse Day 4 Lynch
Day 5 Start 5.1 and Seventh Curse 5.2 5.3

Mafia Ruleset: (REVISIONS IN BLUE)

These are lifted from Voltgloss's MXII game and whoever he lifted them from.

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) or quoting from the setup description (see next post) of a role is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.  Sea Hag faction members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to all moderators by the posted deadline (generally 48 hours from Night start during the first few Nights; later Nights may have shorter deadlines).  If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used. Sea Hag faction plays may discuss this in their QT, but must submit their actions by PM.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName. Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
8. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.
9. This game will have 6 day Day deadlines and 1 day Night deadlines. Please take note of this as it is much shorter than usual. This is necessary to keep some of the new mechanics interesting and effective.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
5. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request after 48 hours of no activity. Moderators will not prod without being requested by players so please police yourselves. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded twice is subject to replacement without further notice.
6. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.  Treat this game as a commitment.  Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

TO CLARIFY, I AM NOT A MODERATOR OF F.DS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.  IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS GAME, I AM MODERATING THAT THE RULES ARE FOLLOWED AND HIDDEN ACTIONS ARE COMPLETED PROPERLY.

NEW MECHANICS AND ROLES IN NEXT 2 POSTS
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:38:57 pm by Jorbles »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:25:32 pm »

New Mechanics:
All players must read this section. It is a completely new mechanic and you need to know it.

Cursing:
Sea Hags have the ability to Curse and may target any player with this Curse including themselves. Deadlines for cursing will be 3 real life days apart, always taking place at noon PST. Sea Hags may submit their factional Curse at any time by PMing the mods to have it go through at the next deadline. If multiple Sea Hags attempt to Curse at the same deadline only the first received Curse will be used. The thread will occasionally lock during the day to resolve day actions. The Sea Hag faction will be able to Curse a player once per day/night cycle with the ability resetting at the beginning of each day. In addition to the Sea Hag Curse there will be a second Curse in the game from the Curser who will always Curse a player randomly at deadline.

Example: Lylo is about to start and Alice, Bob, Carol, David, and Ellen are still alive. Alice is a Fishing Villager, Bob is a Fishing Villager, Carol is a Sea Hag, David is a Sea Hag, and Ellen is the town Ambassador. In addition to this Alice is secretly the Curser. In the previous night Carol and David killed Fred, and Ellen used her Ambassador power on Alice. At the start of the day it is one day to Curse deadline and 6 days to lynch deadline and Bob is currently the only Cursed player, having been randomly Cursed by Alice at the previous Curse deadline. As debating goes on, David decides that Alice is clearly the smartest of the players in the game and submits the factional Curse by PM to the Mod before Curse deadline. Everyone debates, but can't come to a conclusion on who to lynch.

At Curse deadline Alice's power triggers and randomly picks Carol to be Cursed. David's use of the factional Curse goes through, but Alice is protected by Ellen's power. David and Carol become Cursed. Bob stops being a chicken and for the next three real life days Carol and David will have to try and convince town not to lynch one of them while only saying the word "Chicken."

In 3 more days, the next Curse deadline is coming up and Carol and David's Curse will be removed. Even as chickens, since they are Sea Hag Faction, they could still use their abilities to Curse anyone, but they've already used their factional Curse so they can't Curse anyone else in the game this day. Alice's ability will trigger again and randomly Curse one of the players still in the game other than herself.

The effects of being Cursed:
Players who are Cursed have been turned into a chicken. They may only speak by posting in a style that would fit into Doug Z.'s presentation "Chicken Chicken Chicken: Chicken Chicken".

Note this means that they can type "Chicken chicken chicken, chicken? Chicken chicken." but not "*flaps around like a chicken* bawk bawk cock a doodle doo." What this loosely means is that if you are typing a word, the word MUST BE chicken. Players may come up with codes within these restrictions, (for example, "Chicken once for yes, and twice for no"), but no elaborate cryptography involving capitalizing certain letters, weird use of punctuation or something similar. Cursed players may not quote or use links. The one exception to the chicken curse is that Cursed players are allowed to vote as chickens. They may do this by typing Chicken vote: <NAME OF PERSON IN GAME>. You cannot Chicken Vote for players who are not in the game. In flavour terms a player who is Chicken Voting is a chicken staring angrily at whoever they voted for. They may also Chicken Unvote or Chicken Vote: No lynch.

Players who are Cursed will have their Curse Trashed at the time of the next Curse deadline, removing the effects of the Curse.  It is the duty of all players to know whether or not they have been Cursed or not. Curses will be posted in BOLD BLUE LETTERS so they should be very noticeable. If a player who has been Cursed speaks in a way that is not in keeping with these rules than they are a Talking Chicken. Talking Chickens are an abomination and must be punished. The punishment will be determined by the mod, but could result in Talking Chickens being modkilled. Mod vote counts will include information on who is currently Cursed. If you're not sure go back to the most recent vote count or thread lock.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:47:50 pm by Jorbles »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 12:25:40 pm »

Role breakdowns:
This game is for 13 players, however I have alternate setups for 11 and 9 if 13 players cannot be found.

Sea Hag:
2 Sea Hags (special role, see below)
1 Lookout (Role Cop)

Fishing Village:
1 One-shot Pearl Diver (Commuter)
1 Ambassador (special role, see below)
1 Explorer (Cop)
1 One-shot Cutpurse (Day Vigilante who can only kill Cursed players)
6 Fishing Villagers (Vanilla Town)
(1 of these roles will not know it, but be the Curser (special role, see below))

Role PMs:
Sea Hag
Alignment: Sea Hag
You ugly witch, [Player Name]. You are a Sea Hag, along with your partners, [Player Name], and [Player Name]. You have been terrorizing this town by turning the villagers into chickens so you can eat them.

Abilities:
Factional communication: At night and before the game you may talk with your partners here [QuickTopic link].
Factional kill: Each night, you may perform the factional kill.
Curse: Once per Day, you may submit the Factional Sea Hag Curse to Curse any player in the game except yourself. The Curse will go into effect at the Curse Deadline. Note there is only one Factional curse per game Day so you may want to coordinate with your partners in the QT how you will use it. If multiple Curse requests are received the first one sent will be used.

Win condition:
You win when all members of the town have been eliminated or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Lookout
Alignment: Sea Hag
You gutless lackey, [Player Name]. You are a henchman of the Sea Hags, along with your partners, [Player Name], and [Player Name]. You have been helping the Sea Hags terrorize this town just so you can satisfy your need for hot wings!

Abilities:
Factional communication: At night and before the game you may talk with your partner here [QuickTopic link].
Look: Each night, you may investigate one player in the game by PMing the mod. You will get results back with the full name of their role, including whether or not they have a Secret role.
Factional Kill: Each night, you may perform the factional kill.

Win condition:
You win when all members of the town have been eliminated or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Ambassador
Alignment: Fishing Village
Abilities:
Ambassadoring: Each night, you may protect a player other than yourself from the Sea Hag Curse. If any player should target that player to be Cursed during the day the Curse will be reflected back onto them. Why would you Curse when there's an Ambassador on the board?

Win condition:
You win when all Sea Hag aligned players are dead and there is at least one Fishing Village aligned player alive.

Explorer
Abilities:
Navigate: Each night, you may investigate one player in the game by PMing the mod. You will get results back that are either Sea Hag or Not Sea Hag. Note: if you investigate the Lookout you will get the result Sea Hag.
Win condition:
You win when all Sea Hag aligned players are dead and there is at least one Fishing Village aligned player alive.

One-shot Pearl Diver
Abilities:
Pearl Diving: Once at night, you may flee the town to go diving for pearls.  Everyone knows the best time to do this is at night. If you do, you'll be immune to all NKs for that night. However, if you are Cursed when night falls you cannot use this ability. Chickens are terrible divers.
Win condition:

One-shot Cutpurse
Abilities:
Chicken Thief: Once during the day, you may target a Cursed player for a day kill by PMing the mod to whisk them out of people’s vision and quickly butcher them. You may not use this ability if you are Cursed. You are not a cannibal.
Win condition:

Fishing Village
Abilities:
You have no abilities, except for your vote. Get voting!
Win condition:

Curser
Abilities:
One Fishing Village player other than the Ambassador will be secretly assigned the role of Curser in addition to their other role. At Curse Deadline this player will Curse a player other than themselves randomly. Any player who is not the Curser can be selected by this Curse. The Curser will always Curse at Curse Deadline unless they are dead. They will not know they are the Curser.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:05:55 pm by Jorbles »

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIV: The Chicken Curse of the Sea Hags (OPEN FOR SIGNUPS)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:55:43 pm »

/chicken

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »

This seems interesting, looking forward to it.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 01:02:35 pm »

/chicken

I think you mean /chickIN

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 01:07:43 pm »

/chicken

I think you mean /chickIN

I am /in if this game starts before Grujah's whose I will then be /out. If Grujah's starts before then I'll be /out of this one... unless I am already dead in Grujah's before this one starts, then I'll be /in....

I'll keep you posted.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »

I'm so confused. But I need Mafia. /in
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 01:54:05 pm »

I need to say something so that this thread pops out to my eyes scanning the unread posts.

Something.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »

Cool, glad I'm /in.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 04:26:38 pm »

I'm so confused. But I need Mafia. /in

i think it's actually more complex to explain in a rulesy way than it will be to play. Basically every three days someone can turn into a chicken. Chickens can only say "chicken." Glad to have you!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 04:32:41 pm »

I'll go read the rules later, but /in
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 05:35:47 pm »

Damn this looks fun. I am not signing up at the moment. We'll see. If I am not in XI, then hopefully I will be able to sign up.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 08:21:15 pm »

/in
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 10:47:15 pm »

13 players?  In/
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 05:03:33 am »

Wont this mechanic mean that  at least 2 people just sit out per day?
So two people are effectively turned into just reading the whole of day 1, 2'and onwards?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:05:29 am by Ozle »
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 07:41:50 am »

Can chickens quote?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 11:40:31 am »

So two people are effectively turned into just reading the whole of day 1, 2'and onwards?

I'm not quite clear on exactly when Curses trigger, but each time someone new gets Cursed, the previous Curse wears off.  I think.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:16 pm »

Well Sea Hags can only Curse someone for 3 of the 6 days so unless town rushes into a lynch someone hit by the Sea Hag's Curse will still be able to talk for half of the day.  After the first 3 days of play pass the Curser will always Curse someone, so there will always be someone Cursed. The Cursed players are not just reading though. They can still vote to communicate, and though their ability to communicate will be severely limited the onus will be on unCursed players to try and work out their motivations. Asking them questions and getting them to confirm, that sort of thing.

Also Voltgloss is correct. New Curses triggering removes previous Curses.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 12:36:25 pm »

I think about /ining just because of chickens.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 12:44:19 pm »

I think about /ining just because of chickens.

I consider that a tentative /in. Also for everyone who was feeling confused about the Cursing mechanics I've put in an Example to help clear it up in the mechanics section.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 08:30:29 pm »

Totally /in

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 10:26:54 pm »

/in. Possibly a mistake. By the way, I got a job offer, for those of you following along. It will probably reduce my mafia time.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »

/in. Possibly a mistake. By the way, I got a job offer, for those of you following along. It will probably reduce my mafia time.

huzzah! where at?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 19 queries.