Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Observatory: A card along the same lines of Salvager and Apprentice.  (Read 3136 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
+3

So we have trash for cards, and trash for money, so what else is there?

How about this:

Observatory
Cost: 2
Action

+1 Action

Trash a card from your hand. Look at cards from the top of the deck equal to the trashed card's cost in coins. Put one of these cards into your hand, discard any amount, and put the rest back on top of the deck in any order.

Thoughts? I've been trying to tweak this card for a while.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Observatory: A card along the same lines of Salvager and Apprentice.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:21:27 pm »

Hmm, this is certainly weaker than Apprentice.  I'm sure that's why you've set the price so low.  But a big part of the cost in using Apprentice is the card that you're losing.  I'll often Apprentice a Gold/Platinum in the end game to try and snatch that last Province/Colony or to try and use buys to get multiple green cards.  Same goes for Salvager.  I have a hard time seeing why I'd sacrifice a Gold to Observatory.

I guess I'm saying the effect seems too weak to trash anything you wouldn't normally want to trash.  This leaves it as a light trasher with a quite small Cartographer effect.
Well you *do* need a signature...

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:36:04 pm »

I like the idea but would the wording be better off with "...reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card costing exactly the same as the trashed card."

However I think it needs to cover some bases, what if the card you trashed has no equal cost in your deck?

I also would think that the discard & put back to deck effect would be too powerful in certain situations, after all you get to choose which ones to discard (maybe all Victory cards) and eg put all your Golds on top of your deck after it's done. I think I would do without the put back to deck section and just discard all the revealed cards. It's too powerful for $2 as currently worded, I think.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »
+2

I think the idea is that if you trash a Gold, then you look through your next 6 cards.  If you trash a Moneylender, you look through your next 4 cards.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:59:27 pm »

I think the idea is that if you trash a Gold, then you look through your next 6 cards.  If you trash a Moneylender, you look through your next 4 cards.

This is correct.

I used to have it be able to trash one of the revealed cards, but I cut it because it got wordy.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:59:55 pm »

Ah...now that makes much more sense. I was reading it as a same-cost replacing card from your deck. It's late at night here.  :P

This makes the card interesting as it trashes a card that you probably don't want, maybe an Action card that lived past its expiry date (eg Moneylender/Coppersmith). I can also trash Estates in the early game and it's essentially a trash for a +1 card. But as SirPeebles said I don't think I'd want to lose my Gold for a chance to find a card to use, and that's probably why it's costed at $2. As you're limited on how many cards you can look at by the cost in coins, I think this is fine.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 02:08:25 pm »

Ah...now that makes much more sense. I was reading it as a same-cost replacing card from your deck. It's late at night here.  :P

This makes the card interesting as it trashes a card that you probably don't want, maybe an Action card that lived past its expiry date (eg Moneylender/Coppersmith). I can also trash Estates in the early game and it's essentially a trash for a +1 card. But as SirPeebles said I don't think I'd want to lose my Gold for a chance to find a card to use, and that's probably why it's costed at $2. As you're limited on how many cards you can look at by the cost in coins, I think this is fine.
I wanted this to be more of a niche card, and not always useful like Apprentice and Salvager often are. It seems like you could pull of some cool tricks though.

Trash a Gold, reorder the deck perfectly, play a Smithy, and snag a Province.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 02:09:18 pm »

Or you could use it to pretty much grab any card you want, if your deck is thin enough and the card you trashed has a high enough cost.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:17:21 pm by Archetype »

Captain Stupendous

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:07:23 am »

I really like this card. It offers some interesting decisions, and isn't just another copper trasher. It certainly is a niche card, but a nice niche card at that.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:32 am »

So, to start, I'm always wary of non-terminal trashers, and especially cantrip trashers. This card is a cantrip if you use it on something that doesn't cost $0, which may be enough of a deterrent to have it be ok at $2. You can trash Estates for cantrip effect, but Coppers or Curses you just get another Action. I like it! It may, truth be told, be too strong at $2, and may need to cost $3. But, that's hard to tell without playtesting, and mostly is determined by whether it is too good with 5/2 openings, since this isn't a card you'll want to get tons of.

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
  • Did you say Black Market?!
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 11:44:10 am »

What I like about this card is that you will probably buy it early-/mid-game, but it is most useful late-game. Definitely interesting, and certainly on the powerful side of $2 cards.
...Or, I guess you could just buy a Province.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.