Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tactician / Remodel / Treasure Map  (Read 1222 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Tactician / Remodel / Treasure Map
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:08:50 pm »
+2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/10/game-20121010-195800-aee086dd.html

cards in supply: Bazaar, Explorer, Native Village, Outpost, Pearl Diver, Remodel, Tactician, Treasure Map, Walled Village, and Warehouse

Nearly every card can be relevant here. I open Tactician/Native Village with some vague intent for double Tactician, while my opponent goes for Warehouse/Treasure Map. The WH/TMap goes nearly perfectly, with a hit on turn 5, and suddenly the heat is on--I don't have as much time to fashion my engine as I'd like!

I get a couple Remodels on turn 4/5, then convert two Estates to Treasure Maps on turn 7. On turn 10, I cash them in for 4 Golds, drawing 3 of those on the same turn, and remodeling two to Provinces. I think I'm in okay shape then, but on turn 11 I don't draw my 2nd Tactician, putting me in great danger as my opponent takes the 2nd-last province on his turn 11, putting me 9 points down.

I'm lucky in that he can only afford an Estate on turn 12, making the gap 10 points--and then on turn 13, I barely cross it, remodeling a gold to a Province, a Tactician to a Duchy, and buying 2 Estates with $4.

All-in-all: in my 13 turns, I gained 4 Provinces, 2 Duchies, and 2 Estates; while he bought 4 Provinces, a Duchy and an Estate. Very fast game!

On reflection, Outpost could have helped me a lot, and I should have been in less of a hurry to take Provinces, since (with Warehouse aid) the engine should be strong enough to take a bunch of Duchies too. Thank goodness for first player advantage!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:12:58 pm by blueblimp »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Tactician / Remodel / Treasure Map
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 12:38:52 pm »

Warehouse/TM tends to be really fast. A turn 5 hit is not abnormally early. I think ehunt's mistake was taking Silver instead of Remodel on turn 7. If that's Remodel instead, I think he wins most of the time. I don't think there is sufficient trashing here to be able to build a reliable perpetual Tactician deck fast enough to beat WH/TM with Remodel to drain Provinces. I do, however, think you played it just right for a 5/2 opening.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:42:48 pm »

I agree that WH/TMap is good, but turn 5 is the 2nd-earliest possible hit (with the best being turn 4, which happens basically never). It's not crazy luck, but it's an above-average draw.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:26:14 pm »

I agree that WH/TMap is good, but turn 5 is the 2nd-earliest possible hit (with the best being turn 4, which happens basically never). It's not crazy luck, but it's an above-average draw.

I dunno... the T4 hit should happen with a 20% chance any time you draw WH on T4 and had $4 and no TM on T3.  So T4 is probably near a 4% chance.  T5 is probably ~20-25%.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.