Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest: RinkWorks Cards!  (Read 16481 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest: RinkWorks Cards!
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 06:02:11 pm »

You discard your own cards when you play it.

If you pull off a pin with it I say you deserve it.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 06:05:38 pm »
+1

Well, you draw 2 cards first, so you break even in terms of hand size. It wouldn't be easy to play a bunch of these in a turn, but it wouldn't be tough to create an engine that plays 2 of them, and 2 is enough to destroy most turns.

More importantly, pops, your head is stuck in 2-player land. In a 4-player game, each of my opponents only has to play one of these to destroy my turn utterly.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 06:07:00 pm »

Well, you draw 2 cards first, so you break even in terms of hand size. It wouldn't be easy to play a bunch of these in a turn, but it wouldn't be tough to create an engine that plays 2 of them, and 2 is enough to destroy most turns.

More importantly, pops, your head is stuck in 2-player land. In a 4-player game, each of my opponents only has to play one of these to destroy my turn utterly.
I became a lot more cynical about maintaining multiplayer balance after playing a Noble Brigand/Spy three player with no virtual coin.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 07:18:24 pm »

Matador
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
Each player (including you) reveals a card from his hand.  He discards it or puts it on top of his deck, your choice.

Am I missing something about this card, or can it pretty easily wipe out you opponents' turns if played repeatedly?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that needs some sort of limit clause. Even if you just KC one of these, it basically ruins this turn and maybe next turn for your opponents, which seems pretty OP. As rinkworks himself says, he this isn't a super-original attack mechanic, as it was basically posted by ChocophileBenj here, where I commented that I had also come up with the idea independently. Our versions did not include the self-attack, which does slightly nerf this card, but having no limit clause makes this way more powerful.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 04:59:09 am »

I voted for museum, Royal scepter and banquet hall.

Museum : I like the "set aside" thing, and it's a little counter to cursers.
Royal scepter : I like the idea that we can, like golem, build a deck with only one action and some royal scepters.
Banquet hall : It's difficult to do dual type victory cards, and this one is well thought out. And this is another little defense to cursers, we definitely need some.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:00:24 am by brokoli »

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 09:54:43 am »

Matador
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
Each player (including you) reveals a card from his hand.  He discards it or puts it on top of his deck, your choice.

Am I missing something about this card, or can it pretty easily wipe out you opponents' turns if played repeatedly?

Yup, that was supposed to only be for players with 5 or more cards in hand.  What the heck?  I apparently sleptwalk through my own submissions.  I was sick over the weekend; I'm going to blame all these mistakes on that.

I'm on record, though.  As you can see, LastFootnote helped me refine the wording, so thanks to him for that, and thanks to me for screwing it up in the transcription here.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:58:18 am by rinkworks »

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 08:16:41 am »

None
Vote for this if you don't want to have any of these cards in the set.  I won't take offense if you do this -- I'll assume a vote for "None" means "Your cards are clearly awesomeness incarnate; it's just that the set doesn't need any of them."

Obviously broken. OP with Scout on the board, and worthless otherwise. Pass.

Healer
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until revealing a Victory or Curse card or until revealing 4 cards, whichever comes first.  If you revealed a Victory or Curse card, trash it or discard it.  Put the other revealed cards back on top of your deck in any order.

To me, this falls under the heading of "Scout variants that actually may work". It's a bit long-winded, but I'd say it falls under the "long text, short understanding" heading, not the "long text, complicated understanding" heading. Lots of headings going around with this card. Anyway, this card is probably fine, but doesn't get me very excited.

Lockbox
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
While in play, at the start of your buy phase, you may trash this card.  If you do, +$2.

This card can't really hurt an engine, so it might be too easy to pick them up with extra buy and $2. So, I'd recommend this at $3.

Architect
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+$2
Put 3 cards from your hand on top of your deck.

A terminal Silver rearranger, that can even out this turn or next. I'm wondering how good these are at BM, since it seems like you could use this to get a good turn and a bad turn vs. 2 mediocre turns. Plus, you could open 2 of these, since on collision you can move one to next hand. I'm guessing this may be too strong for straight BM, but I may be wrong.

Matador
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards

As above, this obviously needs a limit to only affect players with more than X cards (where X is probably 5 or 4). As-is, it is probably broken. Otherwise, fine, though I would guess underpriced. At least with Militia or Ghost Ship, the opponents can discard bad cards (Militia) or do their best to even out next turn (Ghost Ship). Here, they will have to try to reveal mediocre cards, which will either hurt this turn or next. I have my version of this card priced at $5, but would guess this needs to be at least $4.

Museum
$3 - Action
+$1
You may choose a card from your hand that you do not already have a copy of on your Museum mat.  Place it on your Museum mat.
If you have at least 4 cards on your Museum mat, you may trash 4 of them and gain a Prize (putting it on your deck) and a Duchy.

This is probably fine. In general, I'm not a fan of alternate prize-givers, but this is one of the better ones I've seen. It's pretty weak by itself - a pseudo-trasher that can sometimes fully trash. It could also be used to set asside Victory cards. But, it can gain prizes, which is very nice. I just don't know if the prizes are really worth taking the time to build up a trash with these, including sacrificing some good cards.

Street Sweeper
$3 - Action
Choose one:  +2 Cards; or look through your discard pile and put one card from it into your hand.

This is probably pretty weak, even with the tweak to allow you to look through your discard pile first. Unless you have a power card you really want to play a lot but don't want to buy multiple copies (probably a curser), then this probably isn't for you. Plus, since it doesn't give any Actions, you'd need to play a Village first to pull off one of those combos. So, this will usually be just a terminal Silver or Gold, depending on what is in your discard.

Auction House
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand.

Sort of a cross between Junk Dealer and Market Square - I assume rinkworks came up with this before DA. I'm wary of cantrip trashers, especially those that cost less than $5.

Banquet Hall
$4 - Action-Victory-Reaction
Choose one:  +1 Card, +1 Action; or +2 Cards.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, +1 Card, and return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.
--
Worth 1 VP

This is probably fine. It does feel a bit patchwork, and doesn't make me excited, but I don't think it's bad in any way. But, we have so many Victory and Reaction cards already, I'd prefer something different.

Magistrate
$4 - Action-Reaction
+$2
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck.  Discard any number of them.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, look at the top 3 cards of your deck, discard any number of them, put the rest back on top in any order, and at the start of your next turn return this to your hand.

This sort of combos Navigator and Cartographer. The Reaction is interesting, I approve. I like this more than Banquet Hall, though I still feel we have enough Reaction cards.

Archivist
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Choose one:  Draw up to 6 cards in hand; or +$1 and discard one or more cards from your hand.

This is fine, and obviously won the previous contest. I'd say let another card have time in the sun.

Highwayman
$5 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand chooses one:  He discards down to 3 cards in hand, or he discards his hand and draws 4 cards.

This is very similar to Margrave, as I'm sure everyone has pointed out by now. It looks fine, but doesn't excite me considerign we have Margrave.

Huckster
$5 - Action-Duration
At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy and +$3.

Ah, interesting. This gives no benefit this turn, but a Gold and a Buy next turn. I like this a lot, as it sacrifices this turn to help next turn. This is definitely a card I can get behind :)

Hunter
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Look at the top card of your deck and choose one:  Put it in your hand and discard the top card of your deck; or discard it and +1 Card.

This is a Peddler that gives you some choice. I'm not sure if the choice is enough though to make a $5 card. Maybe it would be better to look at the top two cards, drawing one and discarding the other? Or is that too strong? Either way, I don't really like that if you choose to keep the top card, you discard the next one - that's just trying to be cute, and it doesn't really work for me. So, as a Peddler+, I'd say this is definitely on the weak side of $5, but maybe ok.

Sailboat
$5 - Action-Duration
Discard two cards.
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +$2.

This is similar to Huckster, in that it doesn't help this turn but helps alot next turn. I think I like Huckster more.

Sorceress
$5 - Action-Attack
Each other player gains a Curse.
If one or more supply piles are empty, +1 Card and +1 Action.
If two or more supply piles are empty, +1 Card.

I like this a lot. It starts as a bad curser, but once a pile empties (maybe Curses), it turns into a cantrip, and then can turn into a late game Lab. It is probably weaker than Familiar, which is fine considering the price differences. It is likely weaker than other $5 cursers, especiallly Witch and Mountebank, but again, I'm fine with that considering those are two of the strongest cards in the game. I'm always intrested in cursers that aren't must-buys, and I think this fits that category. I'd be very happy to have this card in the set.

Grand Bazaar
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+$2
--
You can't buy this if you have any Copper in play.

I think this is too close to Grand Market to be very interesting. On boards where there is good terminal draw and +Buy, this is going to be better than GM. On boards without +Buy, GM will likely be better. But, this isn't a big enough difference to make me interested - you're just trading GM's +1 Buy for +1 Action.

Royal Scepter
$7 - Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card.  Discard the other revealed cards.  Play the revealed Action card twice.

I came up with this card a while back but had it cost $6. I haven't playtested it though, so $7 may be the correct cost. The only other difference is that I allowed you to discard the card instead of playing it twice if you wanted to - this made it so you don't have to be scared playing it with cards like Trade Route and Trading Post in your deck. Anyway, this is probably fine, though I like some of the more different cards above - this seems a bit too much like a Throne Room Golem, and I'd prefer something unique.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:24 am »
+1

On Grand Bazaar, I think that getting the point where you can acquire one is the same process as acquiring Grand Market, you have to have 2 cards that give you +$3, 3 cards that give you +$2, or rarely one of each or some other combination. Using terminal draw to get to that point would ultimately not work. I think to change up the concept, we need to beef up a 4 cost card and give it the Grand at $5.

Grand Caravan
$5
Action - Duration
+1 card
+1 action
At the start of your next turn,
+1 card
+$1
--------------------
You can't buy this if you have Copper in play.
Seats 8 comfortably, in-car navigation system, power steering.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 09:20:07 am »
+1

I imagine "None" to be a card like this:

None
$0 - Treasure

Worth $0

I'm leaning towards Architect and Sorceress atm, maybe a card or two in addition.

Somehow when i see the Royal Scepter I think of two things: Bonking people on the head with it and this:

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »

Didn't get a chance to look at the cards before today. Here are some comments.

Some Cards that are at Least as Good as "None":

Royal Scepter
$7 - Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card.  Discard the other revealed cards.  Play the revealed Action card twice.

I like this a lot with some kind of clause that limits royal scepters from finding other copies of itself. The set would benefit from a well-balanced power card ($6 or higher in cost), and I think this could fit the bill. Goes well with a Victory heavy set because it skips over Victory cards to better connect your actions.

Archivist
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Choose one:  Draw up to 6 cards in hand; or +$1 and discard one or more cards from your hand.

Really nice card. Yeah, it won a previous contest, but I still really like it. I wasn't around for that contest, anyway, so I like the idea of voting for it this time. I think this could fit this set.

Magistrate
$4 - Action-Reaction
+$2
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck.  Discard any number of them.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, look at the top 3 cards of your deck, discard any number of them, put the rest back on top in any order, and at the start of your next turn return this to your hand.

I like the fact this card has synthetic coin and sifting, two things of which the set could benefit from having more. Reaction mini-theme, anyone?

Sorceress
$5 - Action-Attack

I actually like this better than the cursing attack we have in the set. Not too strong, so it's not a must-buy when it's in the Kingdom. I like that. Fits with a supply piles matter mini-theme.

Cards I Like More than the Rest, but May Not a Good Fit for the Set:

Hunter (too much like Peddler/Market variants which we have enough of), Healer (we don't really need another $2 card), Highwayman (I don't really want another terminal draw or +Buy card).

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 12:51:11 am »

I won't be giving an in-depth review of all cards, just ones I like. But they are all awesome!

Disclaimer: None of these cards are mine

Lockbox
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
While in play, at the start of your buy phase, you may trash this card.  If you do, +$2.

Love the mechanics of this, but it probably needs to cost 3 as it preferable to Mining Village if you use it only for its boost.

Matador
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
I think I like Schaeu's (sorry, I forgot how to spell your username) version of this card. This one plays a little too similar to Garrison, but I like the agony it causes opponents :) As addressed before, it needs a hand size restricting clause.

Auction House
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
I don't particularly like this one, but I want to say, hope this doesn't offend you rinkworks, I hope this card doesn't win. I fear it's too strong.

Archivist
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Still an awesome card, but I don't think it should have a spot in our set.

Huckster
$5 - Action-Duration
I like it. A lot actually. Not too sure on what a 'Huckster' is, but I can probably look it up later. Kind of hope this wins, but we do have a lot of +Buy cards in the set (which is ironic considering the amount of complaints of the lack of +Buy in the set pre the last two challenges).

Hunter
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Look at the top card of your deck and choose one:  Put it in your hand and discard the top card of your deck; or discard it and +1 Card.
Like this one too. Kind of like an Ironmonger, but different. Don't understand the 'discard the top card of your deck' of the first choice, but hey, it's your card.

Sorceress
$5 - Action-Attack
If I had to pick one card to win, I would pick this one. Absolutely love the City-like mechanics it has, and I also feel the set needs another Curser. Great card! :)

Royal Scepter
$7 - Action

Interesting. It would be cool to have a 7 cost in the set, and this seems pretty balanced. I do think that it needs a 'cannot find Royal Scepters' clause though.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 12:19:23 pm »
+1

The results are in!

--

#1 - Archivist by rinkworks with 10 points (Archivist)
$5 - Action
+1 Action

#2 - Sorceress by rinkworks with 8 points (Sorceress)
$5 - Action-Attack

#3 - Museum by rinkworks with 6 points (Museum)
$3 - Action
+$1
You may choose a card from your hand that you do not already have a copy of on your Museum mat.  Place it on your Museum mat.
If you have at least 4 cards on your Museum mat, you may trash 4 of them and gain a Prize (putting it on your deck) and a Duchy.

#4 - Royal Scepter by rinkworks with 5 points (Royal Scepter)
$7 - Action

#5 (tie) - None with 4 points (None)
Vote for this if you don't want to have any of these cards in the set.  I won't take offense if you do this -- I'll assume a vote for "None" means "Your cards are clearly awesomeness incarnate; it's just that the set doesn't need any of them."

#5 (tie) - Matador by rinkworks with 4 points (Matador)
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards

#5 (tie) - Architect by rinkworks with 4 points (Architect)
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+$2
Put 3 cards from your hand on top of your deck.

#8 - Magistrate by rinkworks with 3 points (Magistrate)
$4 - Action-Reaction
+$2
--

#9 (tie) - Hunter by rinkworks with 2 points (Hunter)
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+$1

#9 (tie) - Healer by rinkworks with 2 points (Healer)
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until revealing a Victory or Curse card or until revealing 4 cards, whichever comes first.  If you revealed a Victory or Curse card, trash it or discard it.  Put the other revealed cards back on top of your deck in any order.

#11 (tie) - Street Sweeper by rinkworks with 1 point (Street Sweeper)
$3 - Action
Choose one:  +2 Cards; or look through your discard pile and put one card from it into your hand.

#11 (tie) - Huckster by rinkworks with 1 point (Huckster)
$5 - Action-Duration

#11 (tie) - Highwayman by rinkworks with 1 point (Highwayman)
$5 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand chooses one:  He discards down to 3 cards in hand, or he discards his hand and draws 4 cards.

#11 (tie) - Grand Bazaar by rinkworks with 1 point (Grand Bazaar)
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+$2
--
You can't buy this if you have any Copper in play.

#11 (tie) - Banquet Hall by rinkworks with 1 point (Banquet Hall)
$4 - Action-Victory-Reaction
Choose one:  +1 Card, +1 Action; or +2 Cards.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, +1 Card, and return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.
--
Worth 1 VP

#11 (tie) - Auction House by rinkworks with 1 point (Auction House)
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy

#17 (tie) - Sailboat by rinkworks with 0 points (Sailboat)
$5 - Action-Duration
Discard two cards.
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +$2.

#17 (tie) - Lockbox by rinkworks with 0 points (Lockbox)
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »

Congratulations to rinkworks!

It looks like not near as many people voted this time around? I'm guessing it's because they had no self-improving incentive. It would be interesting to see how many people submitted and voted in each challenge when all is said and done!

I'm a bit disappointed that Sorceress didn't win. Archivist is fine and all, but has had its time in the sun and I think Sorceress is a really interesting card that looks fun to play with.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 01:27:08 pm »

Congrats to rinkworks! He both wins and loses in this contest. Awesome!

I also would like Sorceress to win as well, but it appears that Archivist won this one.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »

Oooh, I was the only who voted for Banquet Hall. I really think it was one of the best card of this contest (and after all, even better than museum, for which I gave 3).

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 08:05:28 pm »
+3

Congrats to rinkworks! He both wins and loses in this contest. Awesome!

I also would like Sorceress to win as well, but it appears that Archivist won this one.
It is kind of harsh to have to deal with the fact that over 20 of his submissions lost. Only 18 of mine did in the other contests.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.