Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest: RinkWorks Cards!  (Read 16489 times)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Mini-Set Design Contest: RinkWorks Cards!
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »
+4

The final ballot for the community set (which I'm still valiantly persevering in calling a "mini-set" despite that it has long since grown out of that label) consists of cards created by myself (and, in some cases, my brother; in most cases, we've both been involved in refining them). 

I wasn't originally going to contribute to the set, due to the conflict of interest of competing in a contest I'm running.  But this thread has discussion about that, culminating in this:  a ballot with only my cards on it and a "none" option.  If "none" wins, no card from this ballot will be included in the set.

You may vote for "none" as if it were a real card.  Give it 3 points if you want, or give it and a bunch of actual cards 1 point each, whatever crazy combination you like.  As the description for "none" says, I will interpret a "none" vote as meaning, "The set as it has turned out doesn't need any of these cards," so please don't feel reluctant to vote "none" for fear it will offend me.

I have included what I think are my best and most interesting cards, whether or not I think they'd be appropriate additions to the set.  Most of them, in particular the more unique ideas, have appeared somewhere in this forum before, so regular readers of the Variants subforum expecting to see a lot of new cards will be disappointed.

We have playtested them all to varying degrees.  I'm confident about most of them and optimistic about the remainder, but it's important to recognize that even extensive playtesting is imperfect and can result in mistaken conclusions.  All it takes is for one particular strategy to be missed for a card that looks good to turn out broken.  All I'm saying is that they've passed some initial testing.

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

None
Vote for this if you don't want to have any of these cards in the set.  I won't take offense if you do this -- I'll assume a vote for "None" means "Your cards are clearly awesomeness incarnate; it's just that the set doesn't need any of them."

Healer
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until revealing a Victory or Curse card or until revealing 4 cards, whichever comes first.  If you revealed a Victory or Curse card, trash it or discard it.  Put the other revealed cards back on top of your deck in any order.

Lockbox
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
While in play, at the start of your buy phase, you may trash this card.  If you do, +$2.

Architect
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+$2
Put 3 cards from your hand on top of your deck.

Matador
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
Each player (including you) reveals a card from his hand.  He discards it or puts it on top of his deck, your choice.

Museum
$3 - Action
+$1
You may choose a card from your hand that you do not already have a copy of on your Museum mat.  Place it on your Museum mat.
If you have at least 4 cards on your Museum mat, you may trash 4 of them and gain a Prize (putting it on your deck) and a Duchy.

Street Sweeper
$3 - Action
Choose one:  +2 Cards; or look through your discard pile and put one card from it into your hand.

Auction House
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand.

Banquet Hall
$4 - Action-Victory-Reaction
Choose one:  +1 Card, +1 Action; or +2 Cards.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, +1 Card, and return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.
--
Worth 1 VP

Magistrate
$4 - Action-Reaction
+$2
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck.  Discard any number of them.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, look at the top 3 cards of your deck, discard any number of them, put the rest back on top in any order, and at the start of your next turn return this to your hand.

Archivist
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Choose one:  Draw up to 6 cards in hand; or +$1 and discard one or more cards from your hand.

Highwayman
$5 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand chooses one:  He discards down to 3 cards in hand, or he discards his hand and draws 4 cards.

Huckster
$5 - Action-Duration
At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy and +$3.

Hunter
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Look at the top card of your deck and choose one:  Put it in your hand and discard the top card of your deck; or discard it and +1 Card.

Sailboat
$5 - Action-Duration
Discard two cards.
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +$2.

Sorceress
$5 - Action-Attack
Each other player gains a Curse.
If one or more supply piles are empty, +1 Card and +1 Action.
If two or more supply piles are empty, +1 Card.

Grand Bazaar
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+$2
--
You can't buy this if you have any Copper in play.

Royal Scepter
$7 - Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card.  Discard the other revealed cards.  Play the revealed Action card twice.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest: RinkWorks Cards!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:27:16 pm »
+26

In a surprise twist, the winner is another eHalcyon card.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:09:53 pm »

But of these cards, none is a eHalcyon card...

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:20:37 pm »

I really like your Grand Bazaar, and not just because Granded-ed cards are cool, but it actually works.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:28:13 pm »
+1

But of these cards, none is a eHalcyon card...

You would think that, and yet...

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:53:56 am »

Question, I assume that even if I vote "none" with some other cards, you'd only take the vote as "none" only, or would the other cards gain points as well?

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 10:13:59 am »

Question, I assume that even if I vote "none" with some other cards, you'd only take the vote as "none" only, or would the other cards gain points as well?

I'd take whatever votes you submit.  No special rules concerning "None."

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:34 am »

What happens to cards left on the Museum mat at game end?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 11:23:31 am »

I don't quite get Banquet Hall... the +1 Card and +1 Action options both seems way too only-edge-case useful to make sense as options on the card...

Never mind! I see the difference between , and ; now!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:29:08 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 11:24:38 am »

What happens to cards left on the Museum mat at game end?

It's been established that all set-aside cards are still part of your deck for game-end purposes. Island specifically tells you to return them, but that's more of a reminder than establishing a rule. For example, the card set-aside with Haven, or Horse Traders if it's set aside, don't specifically tell you to return them to your deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 11:30:12 am »
+8

Disclaimer:  I submitted to the contest.

Healer
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until revealing a Victory or Curse card or until revealing 4 cards, whichever comes first.  If you revealed a Victory or Curse card, trash it or discard it.  Put the other revealed cards back on top of your deck in any order.

This is a relatively new card, not tested as thoroughly as some.  But it seems just fine.  It's a safer but less powerful Lookout, essentially.  Digs deeper, but only trashes OR discards, not both.  Once the opening estates are gone, it's a dead card until you start greening (unless the deck reordering will help, which sometimes it does).  I suppose it's still a fine opener, because you'd rather have one Healer than three Estates during the mid-game.  But it's clearly better when junking attacks are present.

Lockbox
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
While in play, at the start of your buy phase, you may trash this card.  If you do, +$2.

This is another fairly new card and as such has received less testing than most of the others.  I suspect this really needs to cost $3.  It's preferable to Silver more often than you might think.  That in itself isn't a reason to price it higher than $2 -- the real reason is that at $2 it's arguably too easy to pick up extras just because you've got money and buys left over and might as well.  That's not a big deal with Hamlet and Pearl Diver, because there's a limit to how much more of those help you, but money always helps.  So inevitably the pile would empty out during our test games.

But I haven't actually tested it at $3 yet, and so I decided to submit it under its $2 price, where it feels strong but isn't unbalanced in any kind of obvious way.  If this card wins, I'll be open to tweaking its price after further testing.

Architect
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+$2

This was my first fan card.  Or, rather, it's the final refinement of my first fan card.  At the time, I was considerably less knowledgeable about Dominion strategy and what makes a balanced card.  The initial draft cost $5 and did not offer a monetary bonus.  Horribly underpowered, in other words, but even after playing games with it, I was convinced it was strong, since it lets you "set up both your current turn and your next turn."  It actually IS powerful if you're enough of a Dominion novice that you overbuy terminals and need a card like this to separate them from each other!  Then again, maybe not, since this is itself a terminal you have to work around.

Obviously I've wised up since.  Pricing it at $3 and offering +$2 makes it comparable to other $3 terminal Silvers.

If you vote for this, though, you have to be okay with a certain amount of AP.  It's not awful in that respect, but it's got more AP than most cards do, since the number of ways you can put 3 cards back out of ~7 is a lot.

Matador
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
Each player (including you) reveals a card from his hand.  He discards it or puts it on top of his deck, your choice.

Loved the attack idea, which wasn't mine, and had trouble pairing it up with an appropriate vanilla bonus.  +Coins might be more desirable more often than +Cards, except that the attack hits you too.  Offering +Cards means the self-hit is more likely to benefit you than hurt you.  This is the same principle that makes Garrison work.

Museum
$3 - Action
+$1
You may choose a card from your hand that you do not already have a copy of on your Museum mat.  Place it on your Museum mat.
If you have at least 4 cards on your Museum mat, you may trash 4 of them and gain a Prize (putting it on your deck) and a Duchy.

This was an attempt to create an alternative Prize-giver that plays differently from Tournament and offers different strategic opportunities.  And it does -- the key difference is that Tournament snowballs: once you get one Prize, you're more likely to get the next one, and then the next one, and so on.  With Museum (which would obviously need to be renamed for the community set if it wins), the game is rarely long enough to get more than one Prize out of it, so that makes it feel different already.  Furthermore, activating it is more than just a simple race for Provinces, which is something you usually want to do anyway:  you have to pursue a specific strategy that entails deciding on 4 unique cards to trash and setting about pairing them up with your Museum.

So what do you trash with it?  In a Dark Ages game, it's easy:  Copper and three Shelters.  In a non-Dark Ages game, Estate and Copper are obvious.  In a Cursing game, Curse becomes an easy third card.  If you double up on Museums, you can stow cards away fast without fear of collision, because if they collide you just stow away your duplicate Museum.  The fourth card will tend to be something good, but by that point you just have to fight your loss aversion instinct and ask yourself, "Would I rather keep this Swindler or have a Followers and a Duchy instead?"  Often there is something easier to part with, like a Pearl Diver you picked up with an extra buy.  Sometimes getting rid of an early Silver is a good thing.  Every game is different, and I find that the suitability of a fourth card for the Museum mat tends to make the difference as to whether this is a good card to go for in any given game.

During and/or after building the Museum up sufficiently to get a Prize out of it, you can use it for a light Islanding effect:  stow away a Province, for example, and a Duchy (and you'd have one of those if you'd previously fired it), and just never trash those.  Not a dramatic effect, but it's enough of one to keep it from being a completely dead card after it's fired.  Of course you can still stow away a Copper and a Curse, even if you never want to activate it again.

For the longest time, there was no vanilla bonus.  Over the course of many test games, it just felt wrong.  I tested +$2, and that was clearly too much.  +$1 was just right.

Street Sweeper
$3 - Action
Choose one:  +2 Cards; or look through your discard pile and put one card from it into your hand.

Invented prior to Scavenger.  The gain-to-hand makes it stronger in one sense, but weaker in another:  you can't pull back a strong action card with it unless you've got an extra action with which to play it.  This was another card that started out as a $5 card, because my brother and I were imagining we'd always be pulling back Platinums and stuff with it.  In reality, it whiffs so much more than you'd think.  We had to drop the price and add a consolation prize (for when the discard pile is empty or full of junk) just to make it competitive.  It's still a somewhat weak card, but that's okay.

Auction House
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy

The impetus for this card was to offer something you often desperately need (+Buy) and cause you to do something you don't always want to do to get it (trash a card).  By design, it's actually a little anti-synergetic:  you want trashing early on, when you probably don't need the +Buy, but if you have an engine firing and need the +Buy, you're less likely to still have cards around to trash.  So you need just the right deck density for both benefits to work.  That's not actually THAT hard to achieve, and when it does it's terrific, but it does impose constraints that you have to strategize around.

I made this card before Dark Ages came out.  Junk Dealer is the same card but priced $1 higher and offering +$1 instead of +1 Buy.  It's a fine card, but I kind of like Auction House better, as Junk Dealer doesn't really have the internal tension to it:  while any given +Buy card stands a good chance of being the only way to get +Buy, there's never only one way to get +$.

That said, this is a strong opener even if you never need the +Buy.  Not too strong, I think, but it's definitely one of the power $4 cards to open with.

Banquet Hall
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, +1 Card, and return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.
--
Worth 1 VP

This was an early card, invented prior to Horse Traders.  Horse Traders' reaction is stronger, since the +1 Card happens AFTER a Militia attack has resolved instead of before.  But for other kinds of attacks, it's just as good.  Basically this is a Great Hall with some extra features.  There isn't really a unifying theme here -- the different abilities are kind of cobbled together -- and yet I've enjoyed test games with it.  I think the reason I've liked playing with it is that it fills the Great Hall slot in a more interesting way than Great Hall itself does:  although it doesn't "do" much, it does do something, whereas Great Hall is usually not THAT different from a Victory token.

Magistrate
$4 - Action-Reaction
+$2
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck.  Discard any number of them.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, look at the top 3 cards of your deck, discard any number of them, put the rest back on top in any order, and at the start of your next turn return this to your hand.

Made this before Hinterlands came out.  Cartographer vindicated the mechanic without really making this obsolete.  The action component is weaker, obviously, but the ability to do the sifting as a Reaction is interesting for a number of different attacks.  It's also nice to be able to do the sifting twice in a row, even if you react to an attack that never touches the top of your deck.  Get hit by a Witch, well, you still get the Curse, but now you get to sift twice.

Archivist
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Choose one:  Draw up to 6 cards in hand; or +$1 and discard one or more cards from your hand.

This is the card that won Davio's contest and was available on isotropic for a while.  I designed it to be a "single card engine" like Minion, but it turned out rather differently.  You can read the thread about this card here.  Since that thread, however, I've learned more about how this card plays.

The big revelation was that although a stack of Archivists does work as a strategy (a competitive one, but not one that will keep up with the big power strategies), it's NOT a card you have to race for.  I've discovered that you can usually improve upon a dedicated Archivist stack by finding a different way to shrink your hand size than Archivist itself.  I mean, when you use an Archivist to discard, sure, you're powering up the next Archivist, but you're also wasting one as a Copper equivalent.  You'd rather play a Hamlet, for example, for the discard part of the cycle.  Or some Festivals, or Vault/SC, or Horse Traders, or Oases, or Horse Traders, or whatever.  A hybrid Archivist/Minion stack is interesting.  Governors fit in seamlessly too and actually change the way you want to play the Governors a little bit.  With Cellar or Warehouse, you get extra filtering without the card slot penalty.  Etc.

So this remains my favorite of the cards I've had a hand in creating.  The drawback for the community set is that I don't know if the set really needs it.  Up to you to decide.

Highwayman
$5 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand chooses one:  He discards down to 3 cards in hand, or he discards his hand and draws 4 cards.

I made this before Hinterlands came out.  Margrave turned out to be similar, but I think there's still a place for this too.  Margrave hurts more the first time you play it, but helps more on subsequent plays.  Other than that subtle difference, they're largely similar:  +3 Cards and +1 Buy in exchange for a weak hand size attack.  When both are on the table, you probably want both:  one Margrave and Highwaymen thereafter.  In an engine, playing Margrave first, then your Highwaymen maximizes the harm you can do to your opponent and minimizes the risk of helping him.

Huckster
$5 - Action-Duration

Strong effect, balanced out by increased shuffle-missing and the uncertainty of how much it'll actually help next turn at the time.  Do you play a Militia now, or spare your opponents in the hopes that the +$3 next turn will put you over a critical threshold?  Of course if you manage your terminals well, this dilemma won't come up a lot; I don't want to make this card more exciting and mysterious than it really is.  It's a utility card.  Somewhat interesting when it's the only source of +Buy, since even when you're drawing your whole deck every turn, you need two to get the +Buy every turn.

Hunter
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Look at the top card of your deck and choose one:  Put it in your hand and discard the top card of your deck; or discard it and +1 Card.

My Peddler-with-a-bonus.  I've discussed this card before.  The reason the first option has the discard is about making the card more fun to play, rather than striking some mathematically-precise degree of power:  if you choose to draw the card you reveal, you want to be able to find out if that was the right decision or not and cry "Yes!" or "Aaargh!" accordingly.

The filtering is stronger than it might first appear, too, despite that you only get to skip one card.

Sailboat
$5 - Action-Duration
Discard two cards.

Designed at the same time as Huckster.  This is a mini-Tactician, cannibalizing your hand a little bit for a smaller but still quite significant bonus next turn.  Despite that the benefit is prodigious, it's almost disappointing to see it show up in your hand, because playing it hurts for no immediate benefit.  I like that about it.

Sorceress
$5 - Action-Attack

Possibly my second-favorite of my cards?  It's a weak Curser in the beginning, but if you plow through to the end of the Curse pile and/or rush Sorceresses and/or drain some other pile, they turn into Laboratories rather than dead cards as Witches do.  Usually Level 2 Sorceresses are cantrips rather than Familiars, but the latter isn't uncommon either.

Rushing sounds lucrative and sometimes is, but it's rough, since they initially collide and are as dead as the Curses they dish out.

Grand Bazaar
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+$2
--

My second fan card.  Well, it's kind of obvious, right?  Basically I loved how the Copper restriction plays on Grand Market and the strategy that goes into trying to circumvent it, and I wanted to increase the percentage of boards that had that kind of thing going on.

Despite that it's very similar to Grand Market, there is one way in which it plays very differently:  Because they don't provide +Buy, rushing the pile doesn't snowball the way rushing Grand Markets does.

Royal Scepter
$7 - Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card.  Discard the other revealed cards.  Play the revealed Action card twice.

Golem/Throne Room variant.  Nothing hugely original here, but I like Throne Room and I like Golem, and I wanted to make a card that would increase the frequency of boards that would have stuff like that.  It has more variance than Golem, because you might turn up a very weak card or a very strong card.  With Golem, the two cards you find are more likely to average out.  But you can take that into account when building your deck.

I initially mistakenly thought this could be costed at $4, maybe $5, but I was quite wrong.  These have to be expensive, or it's too easy to buy just one critical action card and then play it twice every turn with a stack of Royal Scepters.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:33:07 am by rinkworks »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38:28 pm »

These look fun. I will intentionally vote for cards I feel fill holes in the set. I will try to mention whether I think card is good for the game considering the official dominion cards. I have high standards for these cards, considering they didn't have restrictions like the layman contests did.
Healer
$2 - Action
+1 Action
As a trasher, it looks at just as many cards as there are in your hand, so it can miss just as often. The other benefit is reordering your deck. The more I think of it, this is seeming more like a fixed Scout. In the post-Dark Ages world, this could say "or Ruins".
For the set: poor, we have two 2-cost trashers
Overall: fine
Lockbox
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
This is the trashing part of Mining Village de-coupled from the fact that it is a village. Instead of choosing whether you want a Village in your deck (and the dependancy of how much coin you can manage in the rest of your action phase), you don't really have to think about it because there is no consequence of trashing this too early. The choice would be more interesting at $3 or if trashing the card gave you less benefit.
For the set: poor, it is too much like Almoner
Architect
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+$2
This looks too strong for $3. For big money, you get a choice of 7 cards. You set up $4 or $6 in treasure for this turn and stow the rest for next turn. It might work at $5 but has less engine potential at that cost.
For the set: poor
Overall: poor
Matador
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
For the set: poor, I think this looks like a mini-Garrison and much weaker
Overall: fine.
Museum
$3 - Action
+$1
Obviously needs a new name, Trophy Room would be good. In multiples, this can fill up quickly and is a great response to Cursing or Ruinsing. This card needs a note for whether they are returned to deck at the end of the game.
For the set: fun, we have a lot of trashing, but not many fun minigames
Overall: great
Street Sweeper
$3 - Action
You can get back a card you used to have or get 2 new ones. I had given up on making an interesting version of this. The best use of this card are as a duplicate of a powerful treasure in a BM game. For that reason, I don't want to include it. The idea could work though, maybe if you didn't have a choice and it was always a cantrip.
Auction House
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Too similar to Rats and Junk Dealer. Probably designed before you knew about them, but this is for a new set.
For the set: poor, we have a lot of trashing
Banquet Hall
--
--
Worth 1 VP
The reaction is the same as Horse Traders, but weaker against hand-size attacks. The basic ability is a choice between two uninteresting and non-interactive modes.
Magistrate
$4 - Action-Reaction
+$2
--
I see that the Reaction does an interesting thing, but I am wary since most attacks are not deck inspection. Most of the time, you will look at the same cards again on the on-play (especially if you liked one or more of them).
For the set: fun, I wanted an "When a player plays an Attack card" reaction
Overall: fun
Archivist
$5 - Action
+1 Action
You have already won a contest with this card. I think it is great, but for your benefit I will say that another of your cards should be put in this set.
Highwayman
$5 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
A hand-size attack that is too similar to Margrave. The exercise is interesting. I think best 3 of 6 cards is nearly always better than a random 4, so this is stronger.
Huckster
$5 - Action-Duration
Like Sailboat, a card where the bonus is bigger because it is all next turn. I like Sailboat more. I don't think this competes well with Merchant Ship. The name seems to imply a peddler variant.
for the set: poor, we have many buy variants at this point.
Hunter
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
A peddler variant. I liked the contest entry where you just look at the top two a pick one as well, but I think neither belong in the set because of the many Market variants.
for the set: poor
Sailboat
$5 - Action-Duration
Discard two cards.
This is a Tactician with lower consequences the turn you play it. It gives money instead of a buy and action. It is especially powerful if Throne Roomed (but not Processioned). I like how the discarding is the current turn because that is when it is likely to hurt more. I like the name Admiral or Captain for this.
For the set: fine, it goes with some of the megaturn and buy cards.
Overall: fun.
Sorceress
$5 - Action-Attack
A weak Curser with City modes. I have my own idea for a weak curser in the works. I think the name could easily be Sorceror because we have too many evil magicky cursing women.
For the set: fine, I don't like the idea of a "theme" with cards like Canal and Flea Market
Overall: fun.
Grand Bazaar
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+$2
--
I like this better than most agrandized cards, but I am not as excited by the huge advantage it can give the player who starts getting these first.
For the set: fun, a we need an expensive Village.
Overall: fine.

Royal Scepter
$7 - Action
This is a "fix" to King's Court. If there are no Action cards in your deck, the same situation can happen as a useless Throne Room variant. This can be thought of as Throne Room +1 card.
For the set: fun, a Throne Variant would be cool.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:44:48 pm »

Street Sweeper
$3 - Action

Did you ever consider this?

$3 - Action
Look through your discard pile.
Choose one: +2 cards; or put one card from your discard pile into your hand

Ok, so the wording is definitely more annoying. But I'm not sure I like the idea of adding an extra element of memory as to whether or not you have a card in your discard that you want to play. Hermit allows you to look through your discard pile before choosing if you want to trash from hand or from discard.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 12:48:49 pm »

Minor technicality, but Museum needs to say to gain a Prize from the Prize Pile. Otherwise, you attempt to gain a prize from the supply and fail to do so, since "gain" always means "from the supply" unless otherwise specified. Tournament, Hermit, Pillage, etc, all specify the pile to gain from.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 01:33:40 pm »

I made this before Hinterlands came out.  Margrave turned out to be similar, but I think there's still a place for this too.  Margrave hurts more the first time you play it, but helps more on subsequent plays.  Other than that subtle difference, they're largely similar:  +3 Cards and +1 Buy in exchange for a weak hand size attack.  When both are on the table, you probably want both:  one Margrave and Highwaymen thereafter.  In an engine, playing Margrave first, then your Highwaymen maximizes the harm you can do to your opponent and minimizes the risk of helping him.

But after Margrave, your opponents will no longer have 5 cards in hand and thus won't be affected by Highwayman.

Royal Scepter -- should it exclude other Royal Scepters, a la Golem?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »

Sailboat
$5 - Action-Duration
Discard two cards.
This is a Tactician with lower consequences the turn you play it. It gives money instead of a buy and action. It is especially powerful if Throne Roomed (but not Processioned).

...Wait, why not if Processioned?

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »

Processioned cards are trashed before you get the "next turn" bonus.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 01:47:48 pm »
+3

Processioned cards are trashed before you get the "next turn" bonus.

The bonus occurs despite being trashed.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 01:51:18 pm »

Highwayman
$5 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
A hand-size attack that is too similar to Margrave. The exercise is interesting. I think best 3 of 6 cards is nearly always better than a random 4, so this is stronger.

It's not just "random 4," though.  It's "your choice of best 3 of 5 or random 4."

Street Sweeper
$3 - Action

Did you ever consider this?

$3 - Action
Look through your discard pile.
Choose one: +2 cards; or put one card from your discard pile into your hand

Ok, so the wording is definitely more annoying. But I'm not sure I like the idea of adding an extra element of memory as to whether or not you have a card in your discard that you want to play. Hermit allows you to look through your discard pile before choosing if you want to trash from hand or from discard.

I'm embarrassed to say that that's how my card is actually worded, and I just screwed up in retyping it here.  Well, the ballot is fixed now.  If it wins, we can discuss as a group whether to make that change or not.

I also screwed up with Royal Scepter, too:

Royal Scepter -- should it exclude other Royal Scepters, a la Golem?

It should, and the version I actually play with does.  I did initially playtest it without that clause, and it was sheer madness.  One problem is that having Golem and Royal Scepter together would enable them to alternate between each other and still achieve a certain level of madness, but that's a lot rarer and requires a lot of differently expensive cards to do it.  Still, it's a risk voters should probably take into consideration.

But after Margrave, your opponents will no longer have 5 cards in hand and thus won't be affected by Highwayman.

Precisely.  For the initial attack, a Margrave hurts more than a Highwayman, so you'd prefer to play a Margrave.  Thereafter, you'd prefer to play Highwaymen, because they have no effect, whereas additional Margraves actually help the opponent.

The attack on Highwayman is of no consequence in this case (well, it's still good when your hand includes a Highwayman but not a Margrave), but presumably if you're chaining these together, you're doing so for the draw.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 01:59:49 pm »

Highwayman
$5 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
It's not just "random 4," though.  It's "your choice of best 3 of 5 or random 4."
I realize, but best 3 of 5 is worse than 3 of 6. Also, random 4 is (usually) worse than 3 of 6. Giving the defending player a choice between two slightly worse options means the outcome on average may be slightly weaker or stronger. Also, even if it straddles the line between better and worse, it is still too similar to consider. Lets say Highwayman was a cantrip at $5 or +$3 at $5. It is different enough then.

Edit: One notable difference is Highwayman only works on each player once and doesn't have the "attack becomes benefit" side effect of Margrave. That strengthens Highwayman.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:08:00 pm by One Armed Man »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »

I'm embarrassed to say that that's how my card is actually worded, and I just screwed up in retyping it here.  Well, the ballot is fixed now.

No it's not ???

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 02:42:28 pm »

I'm embarrassed to say that that's how my card is actually worded, and I just screwed up in retyping it here.  Well, the ballot is fixed now.

No it's not ???

Oops.  I meant "fixed" as in "finalized."  I didn't let other people revise their cards after the ballot was posted (unless the mistake was mine), so I won't let myself make changes either.

I realize, but best 3 of 5 is worse than 3 of 6. Also, random 4 is (usually) worse than 3 of 6. Giving the defending player a choice between two slightly worse options means the outcome on average may be slightly weaker or stronger.

That sounds logical and all, but it doesn't really work out like that in practice.  In playtesting, the two extremes are "Highwayman hurts a little more" and "Highwayman helps WAY more."  There are lots of different possibilities, but mostly you'll have one of three situations:

* You have a good hand, with the strength of the hand uniformly distributed across all the cards.  In this case, both attacks hurt.  Highwayman might hurt more, probably not hurt less, but it's not a huge disparity.  With such a hand, you're unlikely to draw a HUGELY better card from Margrave, because all your cards are already generally good already.  Advantage to the attacker:  Highwayman by a nose.

* You have a good hand overall -- better than an average hand -- but also some junk cards.  Neither attack hurts you, because you can just discard junk cards.  Margrave probably helps you, because either you replace a bad card with a good one, or you cycle past a bad one you'd have drawn later.  On the other hand, Highwayman gives you a shot at an even bigger improvement.  You probably wouldn't take it, but if you happen to know, for example, that the only dead cards in your deck are the two Curses you're currently holding, then 4 random cards might well be better than the 3 known good cards you've got.  Margrave is still a little more likely to help, though.  Advantage to the attacker:  Highwayman by a nose.

* You have a bad hand.  In this case, Margrave will probably help, but Highwayman will almost certainly help more -- a LOT more.  Highwayman saved your whole turn.  Advantage to the attacker:  Margrave by a LOT.

That would appear to average out to a dead heat, but note that the middle case is rarer than the other two.  If you've got two dead cards in hand, the other three cards have to be pretty strong to be preferable to 4 unseen random cards.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 05:00:14 pm »
+2

No it's not ???

Oops.  I meant "fixed" as in "finalized."  I didn't let other people revise their cards after the ballot was posted (unless the mistake was mine), so I won't let myself make changes either.

But the mistake is yours.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 05:13:17 pm »

No it's not ???

But the mistake is yours.

Yes, but the mistake was made by Rinkworks, card idea submitter; not by Rinkworks, thread-maker. Completely different.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 06:00:55 pm »

Matador
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards

Am I missing something about this card, or can it pretty easily wipe out you opponents' turns if played repeatedly?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.