Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest: Second Chance For the Runners-Up!  (Read 22896 times)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Mini-Set Design Contest: Second Chance For the Runners-Up!
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »

There are currently 26 cards in the set.  That's pretty full already.  But what the heck -- it's not like we're constrained by any practical limits, right?  So let's top the set off with a couple more.

What follows is a ballot of runners-up from the 18 challenges of this competition.  Not all of them, however -- I skewed the selection in favor of those card creators who don't already have cards in the set.  There was probably no way to strike this balance to everyone's satisfaction, so I don't expect everyone to be entirely happy about it, but it was a balance that felt right to me, and I went with it.

The logic is as follows:

* Every card placing 2nd in a challenge is included in the ballot below if its author does not already have MULTIPLE winning cards in the set.  Most 2nd-place cards got included this way, but a couple did not.

* Every card placing 3rd in a challenge is included in the ballot below if its author does not already have ANY winning cards in the set.  The majority of 3rd-place cards got included this way, but several did not.

Using this algorithm, 27 cards qualified for this runners-up round.  That makes for a smaller ballot than usual, but according to voters they're the best of the cards that didn't land spots in the set.  Since the real names have already been revealed, it didn't make sense to use aliases this time, so they appear here under their real names.  Of course the winners can be renamed if there seems to be a particular reason to do so.

After the vote, the top 2 cards will be inducted into the set.

--

(Actual ballot deleted, so that users will not be confused between the original versions of the cards and the final ballot.)

Authors of cards in this round have been given a chance to make revisions to their cards.  Those revisions are complete now.

--

The Ballot
The Results
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:10:20 am by rinkworks »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest: Second Chance For the Runners-Up!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:38:37 pm »

Yay, I have a card in here. Vote for it! Can we talk up our own cards now that the cats are out of their respective bags?

Separately, I kind of like Retirement Village a lot, this time around... and it's not even mine, so there.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »
+1

Given the critiques we've gotten on our cards as they are, would it be possible to have some sort of re-submission, altered?  Or would that be better done in separate threads?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:49:43 pm »

* Every card placing 2nd in a challenge is included in the ballot below if its author does not already have MULTIPLE winning cards in the set.  Most 2nd-place cards got included this way, but a couple did not.

* Every card placing 3rd in a challenge is included in the ballot below if its author does not already have ANY winning cards in the set.  The majority of 3rd-place cards got included this way, but several did not.

I'm interested to know who/what was in this group!  There are four of us with multiple cards (eHalcyon, Polk, Greystripe and myself).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:53:40 pm »

Sorry Witch is better than every official dedicated curser.  For serious.  The symmetric draw keeps the game going, and since the symmetric draw outlasts the curse stack it's trickier to decide how much to invest in it.  It's also interesting to have a game where dilution is happening and has to be evaluated, but the pace and clocks are closer to a normal game.  Only Governor+Witch can create that experience in official dominion.

I'd actually like Sorry Witch better at 3$ though so it's less boom tada da with TFB.  I think it would (barely) pass the "don't open two of these" test.  Maybe. Maybe not but I'd like to test it at 3$.

Retirement Village is busted, no one vote for it.  You can't add 1 VP to a card without breaking a cost gap of at least 4-5$.  Actually, a 5$ Retirement Village might be cool.

Bribe is strictly better than Silver and needs to be 5$, which then makes it an inaccessible reaction card.  Please don't vote for that thing.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:01:36 pm »

I'm interested to know who/what was in this group!  There are four of us with multiple cards (eHalcyon, Polk, Greystripe and myself).

I think I had a single second place finish, which came before my first winner.  It was a much more interesting version (to me) of Harbinger, submitted to the interaction contest.  It was non-terminal draw 5, opponents to left and right each discard one.  So theoretically the worst 3/5.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 06:37:00 pm »

Bribe is strictly better than Silver and needs to be 5$, which then makes it an inaccessible reaction card.  Please don't vote for that thing.

As the sucker who submitted this card in the first place, I think the "strictly better than silver ----> must be $5" thing doesn't really apply here, since it's effectively a Silver with only a one-shot benefit, and at some point if all you're doing is buying these to repel attacks and accumulating a Silver every time you use it, you're probably going to use.  Point conceded that if you're going to buy a Silver for $4 you probably want to buy this instead, though "do I want to run out a pile" considerations apply if you aren't actually using it to repel attacks.  I actually agree it would be a horribly weak card at $5, but maybe that's sort of a clue that maybe $4 isn't so bad after all.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42:02 pm »

It's weird the two cards I have in this contest. One Cobbler was the first card I ever designed, and I guess it's a solid, albeit slightly weak, engine smoother, while the other Street Performer is kinda fun even though Scheme slightly stepped on it's shoes (I designed both before Hinterlands). And my favourite two cards I think didn't even finish top half of their ballots.

I suspect the answer will be no, but I'd like to know if we can make minor tweaks to our own cards here. In particular I'd like to Drop Cobbler's price to $3 - it's not overpowered to open double Cobbler and I think $4 is a tad too dear to smooth many engines..

All these cards are good... it's gonna be tough to vote.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 06:50:23 pm »

I would also prefer to alter the card that I have listed after receiving feedback if possible, I do understand that this opens up a can of worms as many others may wish to alter theirs as well...

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:46 pm »

I would also prefer to alter the card that I have listed after receiving feedback if possible, I do understand that this opens up a can of worms as many others may wish to alter theirs as well...

Either all or none, of course, but I'd be maybe interested in tweaking mine as well.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »
+1

Idea: We're in no rush, right? How about giving everyone who has a card here 72 hours to send Rinkworks 'refinements' to the cards, with the new list published afterwards. I think 'refinements' could be a fairly subjective thing, basically as long as the core concept of the card is the same. So for instance, giving scout +1 card would count, but not making it pick up any of your choice of cards (I mean, Scout is broken enough already).
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:53:20 pm »

Idea: We're in no rush, right? How about giving everyone who has a card here 72 hours to send Rinkworks 'refinements' to the cards, with the new list published afterwards. I think 'refinements' could be a fairly subjective thing, basically as long as the core concept of the card is the same. So for instance, giving scout +1 card would count, but not making it pick up any of your choice of cards (I mean, Scout is broken enough already).

I like this idea, but then again, my card would benefit from a simple tweak, as well (based on the feedback from the contest).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2129
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:11:40 pm »
+1

I hope the creators get a chance to refine the cards

I playtested Zealot, and while it's fun, it very rarely isn't a Laboratory; I spammed it and only once was the zealot "dead". I suggest switching from odd to even; maybe making it a cantrip on odds and increasing the price to 4.

The set seems to need another village, and there are 4 on offer here that I like

Flea Market (which will need a name change) looks pretty good; it seems like a great estate trasher (using it to gain itself) but it's deceptive. Its best use will be to speed up greening after you've exhausted the use of your $5 actions, but also as a Band of Misfits variant. It's one I'd like to see

I loved the concept of Ghost Town, but I didn't understand why it wasn't "discard other than from play". Comboing with cards like Oasis is fine. It could also do with a boost - maybe give it $1 or another benefit with self synergising, (benefit+discard a card, spy effect).

Retirement Village is a card I'd like to see more of, and it fills a few niches at once. It also seems to have a good "alt VP" thing going on; buying retirement villages makes it easier to buy more.

Survivor's Village is an improved fishing village, although not getting the $1 is a big loss, but it just might work at 5.

My favourite of the lot is Diviner. It seems to have some extremely powerful combos, but many of them are nombos (trashing junk cards makes sifters less necessary and militias hurt harder). I'm not sure it's best served by simply being a cantrip though.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 08:49:56 am »

I don't have a card in here, but all of these runner up cards are still very interesting, so I'd love to put my votes to the cards I like in this one.

I suppose what rinkworks put up would be final and we'll fine tune the winners from this contest afterwards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 10:41:38 am »
+1

Heirloom should probably be reworded and no be a reaction card. A simple "when you trash this" should suffice.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:27 am »

Heirloom should probably be reworded and no be a reaction card. A simple "when you trash this" should suffice.

And Diviner should be a Reaction card, right?

This is the last hope for me to get a card into the set with 2 entries here, but I don't think I'll win this with such good and interesting other cards.

Some comments:
Town Fool and Sorry Witch are pretty similar. It might be hard for one to win because they likely will split at least some votes. But I like both.
Recruiter is another Attack card I really like.
Archaeologist is basically Scavanger. I think it won't win. Street Performer is a better alternative.
Diviner and Bursar are also similar. And Cobbler goes in the same direction too, but seems very powerful for $4.
Thanksgiving is a very board-depending but interesting card.
Broker is a neat little brother of Archivist. I like it, but I rather not have it in the set, if Archivist will be in the set.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 11:41:44 am »

Seems like we have a community consensus.  The people have spoken!

Voting for these cards has been suspended.  Instead, the authors of cards in this contest have until Monday, October 15, 2012, 10am EDT, to submit revisions of the cards included on the ballot.  Send your revisions by PM to me.  If I receive no revision for a particular card, I will keep it as-is.

Authors should make sure all revisions preserve the underlying spirit of the card as listed in the OP.  That is, don't abuse the opportunity to submit a "revision" that is really a brand new card.  If you're unsure about whether a change is too severe or not, feel free to include two different possible revisions in your PM to me:  a more extensive revision you prefer, and an alternate revision if I deem it too much of a change.  I'll tend to err in your favor, though; I don't really want to police this any heavier than I have to.

On Monday, I'll post a revised ballot and open the voting again.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:52 pm »
+2

Authors should make sure all revisions preserve the underlying spirit of the card as listed in the OP.  That is, don't abuse the opportunity to submit a "revision" that is really a brand new card.  If you're unsure about whether a change is too severe or not, feel free to include two different possible revisions in your PM to me:  a more extensive revision you prefer, and an alternate revision if I deem it too much of a change.  I'll tend to err in your favor, though; I don't really want to police this any heavier than I have to.

When you think about it, Bazaar is really just a slight revision to Woodcutter. They just replaced the Buy with 2 actions and a card, then lowered how much money you get and raised the price to balance it out.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:36 pm »
+6

When you think about it, Bazaar is really just a slight revision to Woodcutter. They just replaced the Buy with 2 actions and a card, then lowered how much money you get and raised the price to balance it out.

Donald is fond of telling the story of how, in the early days of Dominion, he didn't have Golds.  This was to encourage people to buy expensive action cards instead of just buying up more Treasure.  But the game was too laborious when none of the action cards provided virtual coins.  So he thought, hey, what if I took Black Market, stripped out the special deck and the ability to play Treasures early, increased the amount of money it made, made it a Treasure, and doubled the price?  That seemed to do the trick:  it worked so well that the revised Black Market became a basic card.  As a gift to fans curious about Dominion history, the original Black Market was released as a promo.

True story.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:06 pm »
+3

Donald is fond of telling the story of how, in the early days of Dominion, he didn't have Golds.  This was to encourage people to buy expensive action cards instead of just buying up more Treasure.  But the game was too laborious when none of the action cards provided virtual coins.  So he thought, hey, what if I took Black Market, stripped out the special deck and the ability to play Treasures early, increased the amount of money it made, made it a Treasure, and doubled the price?  That seemed to do the trick:  it worked so well that the revised Black Market became a basic card.  As a gift to fans curious about Dominion history, the original Black Market was released as a promo.

True story.

Also, Wharf is actually a slightly nerfed Scout variant.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 04:55:20 am »

I loved the concept of Ghost Town, but I didn't understand why it wasn't "discard other than from play". Comboing with cards like Oasis is fine. It could also do with a boost - maybe give it $1 or another benefit with self synergising, (benefit+discard a card, spy effect).

1) It didn't seem that weak to me when it was designed, and after much thought, I still agree. How much virtual card-draw does a cheaper village need to give? I'm not sure, but I don't think it's much.
2) I wanted to avoid the awkwardness of things like Secret Chamber. That is, if I discard a Ghost Town to Secret Chamber, does it return to my hand right away? Can I infinitely cycle it? That's not a question I want players considering. There are some ways to fix it, but nothing elegant.

That said, it might want a revision. Here's the list of cards in currently interacts with based on the reaction alone:

COMBOS
spy
adventurer
lookout
navigator
scrying pool
golem
harvest
hunting party
duchess
oracle
jack of all trades
cartographer
catacombs
ironmonger
rebuild
sage
survivors

DEFENSE
thief
saboteur
tribute
pirate ship
sea hag
rabble
fortune teller
jester
noble brigand
rogue
knights

NOMBO
loan
venture

That isn't the most in the world, but that's only considering the reaction aspect. Any card like Library works well with a village that lowers your hand count. (Speaking of, I don't think the reaction works with Library, but I'm not sure.) And villages tend to be necessary buys in a variety of engines. If the right idea shows up, I'll adjust it accordingly.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 08:05:04 am »

It would also combo with Gatherer and Harbinger, and the variant would combo with Retort, Flea Market and Silver Smelter. It's not that amazing in this set, but it works great with so many other cards. I'd still consider self synergising somehow, even if it's a very weak effect (eg reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, discard the actions and treasures and put the rest in your hand).

Ghost town with "discard outside a clean up phase" (like tunnel) doesn't strike me as any more complicated than fortress. The secret chamber problem is the same as playing a Mercenary when you have one fortress in hand; you can't trash the fortress than trash it again. At any rate, "discard outside a clean up phase" is less ambiguous than "discard from your deck" - since cards that you reveal from your deck aren't in your deck, given that you have to "put them back".

At any rate, I hope you get it all figured out. It's an amazing concept, and this set needs another village.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:14:52 am by NoMoreFun »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 09:07:20 am »

1) It didn't seem that weak to me when it was designed, and after much thought, I still agree. How much virtual card-draw does a cheaper village need to give? I'm not sure, but I don't think it's much.
2) I wanted to avoid the awkwardness of things like Secret Chamber. That is, if I discard a Ghost Town to Secret Chamber, does it return to my hand right away? Can I infinitely cycle it? That's not a question I want players considering. There are some ways to fix it, but nothing elegant.

That said, it might want a revision. Here's the list of cards in currently interacts with based on the reaction alone:

COMBOS
spy
adventurer
lookout
navigator
scrying pool
golem
harvest
hunting party
duchess
oracle
jack of all trades
cartographer
catacombs
ironmonger
rebuild
sage
survivors

DEFENSE
thief
saboteur
tribute
pirate ship
sea hag
rabble
fortune teller
jester
noble brigand
rogue
knights

NOMBO
loan
venture

That isn't the most in the world, but that's only considering the reaction aspect. Any card like Library works well with a village that lowers your hand count. (Speaking of, I don't think the reaction works with Library, but I'm not sure.) And villages tend to be necessary buys in a variety of engines. If the right idea shows up, I'll adjust it accordingly.

Scrying Pool is an amusing combo.... Scrying Pool reveals Ghost Town. You can keep it there, thus drawing it and continuing on the search... or you can discard it, putting it in your hand, and continuing on with the search... absolutely no difference. Of course, it works as Scrying Pool defense.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 09:19:18 am »

I don't know about you, but I'd go for the novelty "discard" option every single time.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 09:21:48 am »

Do the revised cards need to satisfy the contest that they were originally designed for?

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 10:00:11 am »

Do the revised cards need to satisfy the contest that they were originally designed for?

No.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »

I don't know about you, but I'd go for the novelty "discard" option every single time.

Well of course. Just like I'd always trash a Fortress with my Chapel if I didn't have 4 other cards I want to trash.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 04:20:06 pm »

Well of course. Just like I'd always trash a Fortress with my Chapel if I didn't have 4 other cards I want to trash.

Only if you had something else to chapel anyway, or if you can afford the extra action. ;)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 05:26:05 pm »

Ghost town with "discard outside a clean up phase" (like tunnel) doesn't strike me as any more complicated than fortress. The secret chamber problem is the same as playing a Mercenary when you have one fortress in hand; you can't trash the fortress than trash it again. At any rate, "discard outside a clean up phase" is less ambiguous than "discard from your deck" - since cards that you reveal from your deck aren't in your deck, given that you have to "put them back".

At any rate, I hope you get it all figured out. It's an amazing concept, and this set needs another village.

Hunh. Dark Ages strikes again! If the precedent it there, I suppose I'm not that opposed.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 11:24:43 pm »
+1

King's Court+Tactician with a Ghost Town in hand would be a truly frightening combo, but maybe that's fine - it's not going to come up that often.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 12:13:46 pm »

Here is the revised ballot for the runners-up round.  The top two finishers will be inducted into the set.  Voters are due Monday.

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Monday, October 22, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--
World's Fair
$3 - Action
Trash this card.
Gain a card costing up to $6, placing it on top of your deck.
Each other player may gain a copy of the card you gained.

Heirloom
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
Gain a Silver, placing it on top of your deck.
--
If this card is trashed in any way, reveal it and gain a Gold on top of your deck.

Watchmaker
$4 - Action
Reveal the top four cards of your deck. Put two into your hand and discard the others.

Diplomat
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
Choose a card from your hand and put it on the bottom of the Diplomat deck. Reveal the top card of the Diplomat deck and return it to the supply. Each other player gains a copy of the revealed card.
--
Setup: Shuffle a Diplomat deck containing 1 Copper, 1 Estate, 1 Silver and 1 Curse. (From the supply.)

Street Performer
$3 - Action
+$2
--
At the start of Clean-up this turn, choose up to two cards you have in play. For each you would discard from play this turn, shuffle it into your deck.

Retirement Village
$3 - Action-Victory
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
1 VP

Broker
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Choose one:  Discard 2 cards and draw 1 card; OR draw up to 5 cards.

Emerald
$4 - Treasure
Reveal your hand. This is worth $1 per Victory card in your hand.
--
In games using this, when you buy a Victory card, you may gain an Emerald.

Caretaker
$5 - Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses to discard them or return them to the top of your deck.
+4 Cards

Recruiter
$5 - Action-Attack
Choose one: +1 Action and gain an Attack card from the supply; or all other players gain a Curse card.
--
If you have played 2 or more Attack cards this turn (counting this): +$1.

Town Fool
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
All other players gain a Curse and choose to either trash a card from their hand or draw a card.

Ghost Town
$2 - Action-Reaction
+2 Actions
--
When you discard other than during a Clean-up phase, you may reveal it. If you do, put it in your hand.

Plaza
$3 - Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 cards costing $4 or less.
Put all revealed cards costing $4 or less into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

Planchet
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When you would discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may set this aside from your hand instead.  If you do, +$2 and return it to the discard pile at the end of your turn.
--
(Rule clarifications: If you discard this during another player's turn (e.g., because of Militia), you get +$2 at the start of your next turn.)

Astrologer
$4 - Action-Attack
Trash two cards from your hand. If they are the same card, each other player gains a copy of that card. Otherwise, +$ equal to the difference in cost between the two.
--
When you gain this, each other player may trash a card from his hand.

Diviner
$3 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck. You may discard it or put it back.
--
When you would discard a card other than during your clean-up phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, trash that card instead.

Cobbler
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Put two cards from your hand on top of your deck.

Archaeologist
$3 - Action
+$2
You may put a card from your discard pile on top of your deck.

Survivor's Village
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
When you gain this, gain a Survivor's Village token.
--
At the start of any turn, you may return one Survivor's Village token before you play your first action. If you do, +1 Action.

Repair Shop
$5 - Action-Reaction
Gain a card costing up to $4.
--
When you gain a card you may discard this.  If you do, trash that card and gain a card costing up to $2 more.

Thanksgiving
$5 - Action
Trash this card.
Gain two cards costing up to a total of 7. Put the cards on your deck.

Zealot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have an even number of cards in play (including this), +1 Card.

Bribe
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack; return Bribe to the supply and gain a Silver, placing it in your hand, and the attacking player may gain a Copper, placing it in his hand.

Bursar
$5 - Action
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Put one into your hand, discard the other card.
+1 Action
+$1

Flea Market
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
You may return a card from your hand to the supply. If you do, gain a card with the same cost, putting it in your hand.

Sorry Witch
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
Each other player gains a Curse and draws a card.

Tithe
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Buy
You may trash a Victory card from your hand. If you do, +2 VP and gain a differently named Victory card costing up to the cost of the trashed card.
--
Worth 1 VP for every 2 Estates in your deck (rounded down).

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 03:01:40 pm »

I forgot the word "this" between the words "discard" and "other" on Ghost Town.  :-X

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 03:03:32 pm »

Read from the bottom. I didn't read my old reviews of this cards, but I remember liking most of them. Now, the competition is harsher and we have holes to fill in the set.
World's Fair
$3 - Action
Trash this card.
for the set:  I prefer the Thanksgiving card to this, but I prefer this to my entry in the non-attack interaction. fine.
overall: I don't forsee this being useful often enough. fine.
Heirloom
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
If this card is trashed in any way, reveal it and gain a Gold on top of your deck.
for the set: We have 2 5-cost treasures already. This needs a wording tweak to match with Dark Ages. It was cool that this came out before the "on trash" Dark Ages cards. fun.
overall: fun.
Watchmaker
$4 - Action
Reveal the top four cards of your deck. Put two into your hand and discard the others.
for the set:  Compared to the Gatherer we got, this seems at a comparable strength at the same cost. fine.
overall: This seems cool, but not so different than Smithy. fun.
Diplomat
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
Choose a card from your hand and put it on the bottom of the Diplomat deck. Reveal the top card of the Diplomat deck and return it to the supply. Each other player gains a copy of the revealed card.
--
Setup: Shuffle a Diplomat deck containing 1 Copper, 1 Estate, 1 Silver and 1 Curse. (From the supply.)
for the set: Too silly and random. The balance seems fixed. fine.
overall: fine.
Street Performer
$3 - Action
+$2
--
At the start of Clean-up this turn, choose up to two cards you have in play. For each you would discard from play this turn, shuffle it into your deck.
for the set:  Too much shuffling. poor.
overall: It is a shame Scavenger came out. poor.
Retirement Village
$3 - Action-Victory
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
1 VP
for the set:  We need a village, but there were other ones I preferred. fine.
overall: I don't think +2 actions, +1 buy is sufficiently different than what great hall gives you. fine.
Broker
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
for the set:  We just added Archivist. poor.
overall: Could be interesting. fine.
Emerald
$4 - Treasure
--
for the set: you didn't make it cost $3. I am a little upset. fine.
overall: I think this is too weak. fine.
Caretaker
$5 - Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses to discard them or return them to the top of your deck.
+4 Cards
for the set:  I always liked this and found it to be fun, though it only seems slightly stronger than Envoy. fun
overall: It is partly a shame that Catacombs and Hunting Grounds came out. fine.
Recruiter
$5 - Action-Attack
Choose one: +1 Action and gain an Attack card from the supply; or all other players gain a Curse card.
--
for the set:  This seems quite strong, since it can gain very strong 5 cost cards. I get that you would have to forgo getting those other cards initially. A 5 cost curser complements the 4 cost we have well. fun
overall: fun
Town Fool
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
All other players gain a Curse and choose to either trash a card from their hand or draw a card.
for the set: I forgot this card existed. I made a card that gave 3 choices (these + gain a silver) for each opponent. As a slightly different curser, I like it. great
overall: great.
Ghost Town
$2 - Action-Reaction
+2 Actions
--
When you discard other than during a Clean-up phase, you may reveal it. If you do, put it in your hand.
for the set:  too many discard other than cleanup phase ideas are thrown around. This never excited me because it is too weak most of the time. poor
overall: poor.
Plaza
$3 - Action
Put all revealed cards costing $4 or less into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.
for the set:  I always supported this as a low-cost deck helper, something that uses an engine of 4 cost cards to get provinces and duchies, which this card passes. great
overall: great
Planchet
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When you would discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may set this aside from your hand instead.  If you do, +$2 and return it to the discard pile at the end of your turn.
--
(Rule clarifications: If you discard this during another player's turn (e.g., because of Militia), you get +$2 at the start of your next turn.)
for the set:  too many discard other than cleanup phase ideas are thrown around. This is too similar to Crystal Ball. poor
Astrologer
$4 - Action-Attack
Trash two cards from your hand. If they are the same card, each other player gains a copy of that card. Otherwise, +$ equal to the difference in cost between the two.
--
for the set: As an interactive card, it is cool, but the ability is too redundant with Amulet. poor
Diviner
$3 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
When you would discard a card other than during your clean-up phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, trash that card instead.
for the set: too many discard other than cleanup phase ideas are thrown around. This one letting you trash things is quite powerful. Fine
overall: Fun
Cobbler
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
for the set: This card sorts your current and next turn. fun.
overall: It fits in the set as well as it fits anywhere. fun.
Archaeologist
$3 - Action
+$2
for the set: I don't like cards that rely on discard piles.
overall: It is a shame Scavenger came out. poor
Survivor's Village
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
--
At the start of any turn, you may return one Survivor's Village token before you play your first action. If you do, +1 Action.
for the set: We need more villages. This one is cool. great.
overall: It might be underpowered compared to Bazaar, but I think the flexibility will cause some non-traditional decks to be viable. great.
Repair Shop
$5 - Action-Reaction
--
When you gain a card you may discard this.  If you do, trash that card and gain a card costing up to $2 more.
for the set: We have enough gainers and we already have a similar reaction. poor.
Thanksgiving
$5 - Action
Trash this card.
for the set: goes along with Carpenter. Getting a gold or 7 cost card is a great use for this. The name needs work. fun
overall: Getting a 5-2 split with this is strange. fun
Zealot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
for the set: we have too many hand-size increasers. poor
overall: an interesting use of an unused mechanic. fun
Bribe
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack; return Bribe to the supply and gain a Silver, placing it in your hand, and the attacking player may gain a Copper, placing it in his hand.
for the set: I don't like better silvers for $4. poor
overall: poor
Bursar
$5 - Action
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Put one into your hand, discard the other card.
+1 Action
+$1
for the set: redundant with our markets. fine
overall: great
Flea Market
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
You may return a card from your hand to the supply. If you do, gain a card with the same cost, putting it in your hand.
for the set: We need another village. I like same cost switching cards, considering my set has one. I like that it turns all your Estates into weak villages or better. great
Sorry Witch
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
for the set: too redundant with and weaker than Soothsayer. poor
overall: essentially Cursing +1card, and the Council room effect. Combined, they help the game not become a slog. fun
Tithe
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Buy
You may trash a Victory card from your hand. If you do, +2 VP and gain a differently named Victory card costing up to the cost of the trashed card.
--
for the set: Certainly interesting and a good use for our alternate Victory cards that is only partially "make your deck gigantic". fun

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 03:26:22 pm »
+1

Bribe
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

While the original card fit into this category, this revision is no longer a "better Silver."  I mean, it might be generally superior to Silver (which is fine), but it's no strictly superior to Silver.  The Donald quote that cemented this rule of thumb was only talking about $4 Silvers "with no penalty."  Here, a possible opponent benefit requires you to think a little before picking this up in preference to Silver.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 03:28:28 pm »

Bribe
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

While the original card fit into this category, this revision is no longer a "better Silver."  I mean, it might be generally superior to Silver (which is fine), but it's no strictly superior to Silver.  The Donald quote that cemented this rule of thumb was only talking about $4 Silvers "with no penalty."  Here, a possible opponent benefit requires you to think a little before picking this up in preference to Silver.
What?  No.  Pick it up instead of Silver all the time, never use the reaction.  You now have a Silver that works better for TFB.  Strictly better.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 03:36:28 pm »
+1

Bribe
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

What?  No.  Pick it up instead of Silver all the time, never use the reaction.  You now have a Silver that works better for TFB.  Strictly better.

At the risk of overly defending my card, that's a pretty weird nit to pick.  It's like saying

Du$hy
$6 - Victory
Worth 3 VP

Is "strictly better than Duchy" because you can trash it for more, and therefore shouldn't exist.

To pick the counter-nit, there are some times (e.g. Feodum exists) you'd rather have Silver.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »
+1

Bribe
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

That is...an incredible...reach.  By that logic, we can make every card better just by making it more expensive.  Like Hamlet at $2?  You'll LOVE it at $6!

Come on.  It's not strictly better.  It costs more.  When weighing one card against another, you either don't consider the price at all (in which case you might say "strictly better effect"), or you have to weigh the pros AND cons of the price.  You can't say "Well, with TFB, sometimes a higher cost is better, so it's strictly better!", ignoring the fact that, you know what, sometimes a card having a higher cost means you can't buy it this turn, or can't buy as many copies, etc.

I mean, if you're still concerned about having a $4 card that you can use as a Silver (but nothing better than a Silver, if you want to circumvent its penalty), that's a reasonable and defensible position.  But it's not because the card is strictly better (it isn't), and not because of TFB (which is only a factor in a minority of kingdoms -- as opposed to the proper $4 Silver principle, which holds for all kingdoms).

This is just not the situation Donald was talking about.  The exact quote:  "I can't make a treasure that costs $4, makes $2, and has a bonus but no penalty."

If you don't use the Reaction, Bribe is a Treasure that costs $4, makes $2, has no penalty, but has no bonus either.  Costing an extra $1 is not a bonus.

And if you do use the Reaction, it does have a penalty.  So you get both or neither, but never the configuration that Donald was calling problematic.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 04:26:21 pm »
+2

Bribe is 4, has a bonus and there is no point in calling the other part a "penalty" because you don't have to use it. Consider:
Fake:
Treasure
$4
Worth $2.
When you play this, you can trash it. If you do, gain a Gold and a Curse.
You would buy this over Silver (unless some other card name-drops silver), even if the bonus also has a penalty you get if you optionally choose to use the bonus.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »
+1

But the bonus (the one-shot defense) also has a penalty (the opponent can optionally do something useful). 

It's literally never "better than Silver".  It's either literally exactly Silver, or briefly "better than Silver, but with a potential drawback".

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »
+1

Bribe is 4, has a bonus and there is no point in calling the other part a "penalty" because you don't have to use it. Consider:
Fake:
Treasure
$4
Worth $2.
When you play this, you can trash it. If you do, gain a Gold and a Curse.
You would buy this over Silver (unless some other card name-drops silver), even if the bonus also has a penalty you get if you optionally choose to use the bonus.

And the underlined matters, doesn't it?

Is a $6 3 VP card called More Expensive Duchy "strictly better than Duchy" (and therefore shouldn't exist)?

I mean, hate on the card because you don't think the reaction is useful, or whatever, but this "Donald said something that sort of tangentially applies, therefore", without actually reading the card and thinking, is really disappointing.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »

But the bonus (the one-shot defense) also has a penalty (the opponent can optionally do something useful). 

It's literally never "better than Silver".  It's either literally exactly Silver, or briefly "better than Silver, but with a potential drawback".

No, it's always better than Silver, since you always have a choice whether to use its reaction or not. So if using the reaction would be bad for you at any given time, you don't use the reaction to you and it's indistinguishable from Silver; if using the reaction would benefit you, you use it and get a benefit you wouldn't have had if you'd bought Silver. So the card has, as Rinkworks put it, a strictly better effect than Silver; and the relevant comment from Donald is (essentially) that it's not a good idea to price a card that has a strictly better effect than silver at $4.

I think this might be an exception to that general principle, since the strictly-better-effect is both a one-shot and a Reaction that depends on the presence of Attacks. But actually I don't think it's a good idea in general to have a Reaction card (especially one that reacts to Attacks) whose top half is indistinguishable from an existing card, especially a basic card—note that there's no card that's just "+2 cards" or "+$3, discard 2" or whatever.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 05:05:12 pm »
+2

There's a reason Donald said it.

Think about it. In many games, you'd buy Silver with $4, right? Imagine you're in one of those games, and it also includes Bribe. Do you now consider Silver? What does the game need for you to still consider Silver? How likely is it that those thing(s) exist?

The answer is of course, rarely. You just mindlessly pick Bribe up, and you can treat it as a Silver. Maybe you'll use the benefit, maybe not, but ultimately, putting Bribe into your deck wasn't a strategic choice, you just wanted Silver and this was better.

Imagine for comparison, you want something that gives you extra money and extra buys, and Festival and Woodcutter are both on the board. You have $5. Will you ever consider Woodcutter? Only in rare cases, I'd say. Of course, this is less of an issue - $5 to $3 is a much bigger gap, AND the more expensive card isn't competing against something in every game!

Now that aside, I feel like I want to defend my card:

Street Performer
$3 - Action
+$2
--

I... don't even understand the second criticism, given the card is nothing like Scavenger. Scavenger gets your new cards into play more quickly. This saves your good old cards. It's pretty much the opposite. As for the second criticism, it's one more time shuffling each time you play the card. Not all that much really, and shuffling really isn't that much of a penalty (ultimately, you need to shuffle two cards in, that's not hard). And that's if you even want to save anything (sometimes, you'll get a dud hand with it and don't want to save the SP either). That's... no worse than Scavenger or Chancellor, and they're both very fun cards to play. This is fun too, having played with it myself various times.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 05:57:17 pm »

There's a reason Donald said it.

Think about it. In many games, you'd buy Silver with $4, right? Imagine you're in one of those games, and it also includes Bribe. Do you now consider Silver? What does the game need for you to still consider Silver? How likely is it that those thing(s) exist?

The answer is of course, rarely. You just mindlessly pick Bribe up, and you can treat it as a Silver. Maybe you'll use the benefit, maybe not, but ultimately, putting Bribe into your deck wasn't a strategic choice, you just wanted Silver and this was better.

And there's attacks on the board, of course, otherwise I wouldn't care at all which I bought (aside from also pretty unlikely upgrade shenanigans that I'd counter by saying "what if my opponent player two Highways and a Saboteur" or something). 

Yes, in that narrow scenario where attacks exist but I'd still rather have treasure for exactly $4 than whatever attack is present, then I have the option of doing something, once, which probably makes it better than being Silver -- but note I have the chance to screw it up in that maybe I should have used it on a different attack, or not used it all, rather than giving my opponent the option of an extra $1 this turn).

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 08:03:46 pm »

Now that aside, I feel like I want to defend my card:

Street Performer
$3 - Action
+$2
--

I... don't even understand the second criticism, given the card is nothing like Scavenger. Scavenger gets your new cards into play more quickly. This saves your good old cards. It's pretty much the opposite. As for the second criticism, it's one more time shuffling each time you play the card. Not all that much really, and shuffling really isn't that much of a penalty (ultimately, you need to shuffle two cards in, that's not hard). And that's if you even want to save anything (sometimes, you'll get a dud hand with it and don't want to save the SP either). That's... no worse than Scavenger or Chancellor, and they're both very fun cards to play. This is fun too, having played with it myself various times.
I am being harsher this time than originally. Here is what I said originally: Shuffling doesn't make me happy usually. From a balance prospective I would rather it say shuffle than bottom of the deck. This card is a terminal and shuffles at the end of the turn, so I am okay with thinking of it as ann Inn or something. Seems okay. (I said seems okay to tell myself later what to usually give 1 vote to). I like the card, I was doing a quick read through, I can give it another shot

Street Performer
for the set:  We already have a terminal silver with Carpenter, but this is quite different. fine.
overall: This does a "keep things around" type of effect. With village support, a set of these can set up something like a Chancellor-Stash deck, which is interesting. This effect seems strong for $3, since returning a Gold to your deck seems to be worth about $1 the current turn (like how Merchant Ship giving $2 next turn is about as good as $1.5 now). It is a shame Scavenger came out. Scavenger is another terminal silver that increases the likelihood that you can use a chosen card something like every other turn. I still don't like shuffling this often, which is a point against this and Scavenger. fine

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 11:08:48 pm »

Disclaimer: none of these cards is mine. ;)

I am not referencing earlier posts on these cards.  It is possible that my opinions will have changed in the intervening time for any number of reasons:

- the card has been modified, for better or worse
- the card has a different "feel" when not compared against all the competition from its original theme
- new additions to the overall set change the way this card would fit in
- I'm just plain inconsistent :P

Looking at the set list, I think we need more villages.  Although we have three Victory cards, I think it might be OK to add another.  I'm a little more reserved about adding a fourth alt treasure.  I no longer want to see +Buy (so many ties!) and I would be hesitant about more non-terminal draw, more gainers, or more cost-reducers.  This sounds pretty strict but I know I'll end up more relaxed when I actually vote.

Oh, and the price point that I think the set needs most is $3.

World's Fair
$3 - Action
Trash this card.

I like it.  Although it is another gainer, it does so in an interesting way.  The interaction is fun.  And it is at the $3 price point!

Heirloom
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

If we were to add a fourth alt treasure, this would be interesting.  We already have Astrolabe, Crystal Ball and Amulet which are alt Copper, Silver and Gold respectively. Heirloom is interesting for being an alt Copper that PRODUCES Silver and CAN produce Gold.  I also think the card name fits in well with the existing alt treasures.

Watchmaker
$4 - Action

This is a better version of Oracle's drawing.  I think it is a little too similar to Gatherer.  But then again... not really?  Hm.

Diplomat
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
--

This is a very interesting attack, but I fear it may be too swingy with that Silver in the deck.

Street Performer
$3 - Action
+$2
--

I like this as a Scheme variant.  Since the text is under a line, is it meant to be something that can't be multiplied with KC/TR/Proc?

If it CAN be multiplied, it is possible to set up a "Golden Deck".  Suppose you get it to KC-KC-SP-SP-Workshop and 0 cards in draw pile.  You produce $18 per turn with 4 Buys total, and then SP allows you to shuffle all 5 cards back to draw them again.  Double province every turn.

But that is NOT easy to set up, and would be a cool thing to pull off.

Retirement Village
$3 - Action-Victory
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
1 VP

I think this is perfectly fine, but a little boring.

Broker
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+$1

Too similar to Archivist, which is now in the set.

Emerald
$4 - Treasure
--

This would be a nice addition to the set because it is an alt treasure that works better when you have lots of VP, e.g. in alt VP games.  It fits the kind of mini-theme we have going with all the alt treasures and VP already in the set.

Caretaker
$5 - Action
+4 Cards

This is similar to Oracle and Catacombs except the chooser is an opponent instead of you, making your big draw probably a little worse than average.  I think it is interesting.

Not something to judge, but I don't like the card name. :P

Recruiter
$5 - Action-Attack
--

It actually feels a little too weak to me.  Although it is non-terminal, it does not draw.  The first copy does not provide any benefit, and you probably don't want to load up on a bunch of these because the potential benefit is still only +$1.  Not much at all.  It can be useful for gaining attacks, but at $5 this is really only good with Goons.  With the other attacks, why not just buy them to begin with?

I think this might be more compelling if it were +2 Actions instead.  That way, there is actually a decent reason for wanting multiples of these.

Town Fool
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2

Cheap curser with benefit that provides a HUGE benefit to opponents.  Seems fine.

Ghost Town
$2 - Action-Reaction
+2 Actions
--

Missing a bit of wording in the reaction there.

I think this is fine.  It gets bonus points for being a Village; I think we need one more in the set.

Plaza
$3 - Action

IIRC this was one of my favourites in the terminal draw contest.  I still like it.

Planchet
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
--

Of course I like it, but we already have Crystal Ball.

Astrologer
$4 - Action-Attack
--

This card has a weird niche.  I think the best comparison are Remake and Salvager.  Remake and Astrologer both trash two cards.  Remake can turn Estates into Silver.  Astrologer, however, can trash Estate+Copper for $2 -- this alone is not worth as much as a Silver ($3 value) but it would be added to whatever other money you have that turn, which is nice.  This ability to generate money also puts it in league with Salvager.  It is a faster trasher than Salvager, but it is also worse at making money.  Salvager can trash a Province for $8.  Astrologer can't do it unless you also have a Copper or Curse to trash, and in that case you end up $1 shorter than you would have with Salvager.  And of course, you don't have +Buy on Astrologer.

I think it would work.  I have no idea how it would play though.  I imagine it would be more for early game trashing-with-small-benefit and end up usually useless late game.  So more Remake than Salvager after all.

Diviner
$3 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

Makes an obvious combo with Crystal Ball.  Would also combo with Ghost Town if it won, and a few other cards.  Otherwise it is just minor filtering.  But it can also combo with itself to do some non-terminal trashing.

I like it.  $3 price point is a plus too.

Cobbler
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action

I don't think the set needs more non-terminal draw.  Also, putting 2 back feels like it would be slow to play.

Archaeologist
$3 - Action
+$2

Too similar to Scavenger, I think!

Survivor's Village
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
--

Seems just fine to me.  The set needs another Village.

Repair Shop
$5 - Action-Reaction
--

I think the set has enough gainers.

Thanksgiving
$5 - Action
Trash this card.

I'm not a big fan of this, but I'm not sure why.  I just don't think I'd ever buy such an expensive one-shot.

Zealot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

I did quite like this in the non-terminal draw contest (or whatever contest it was in).  But the set has other needs.

Bribe
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

There is already some discussion on whether this still falls into that bad area of $4 Silver+.  I think it does, but the new Copper clause does push it more into the grey.

Bursar
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+$1

Just a little too boring for my taste.

Flea Market
$2 - Action
+2 Actions

Seems fine to me.  Set needs a village, and the same-price-switch concept is always interesting.  I think this should work fine.  There is a bit of worry about cards that have on-gain clauses, but after a quick look through I don't think there is anything broken.  Rather, they just seem like fun combos.

Sorry Witch
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards

Similar to Town Fool.  Cards instead of money is usually worse in a junked deck, but the benefit to opponents is weaker as well.  This should be fine.

Tithe
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Buy
--

I think it is OK, but it is not among my favourite submissions here.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »

At last, the results of the Second Chance challenge are in, and we have two more cards to round out the community set.  They are...(drum roll)....

#1 - Recruiter by yuma with 12 points (Recruiter)
$5 - Action-Attack
--

#2 - Thanksgiving by Tdog with 8 points (Thanksgiving)
$5 - Action
Trash this card.

The set gets another Attack card and another one shot.  Recruiter is a card that can accrue copies of itself, or of other attack cards, and ramp up a violent game quickly.  On its own, it's a Cursing attack that, unlike most cursing attacks, can probably be passed over on many boards.  But if another Attack card is present (including a stronger curser), this card becomes more powerful, with a greater number of potentially lucrative interactions possible.

With Thanksgiving, you can slingshot your way up to an early $6 or $7 card at the expense of a $5 buy that might have been something else instead.  It can also rescue you from a 5/2 start on a board where 4/3 is clearly dominant.  Since the cards go on top of your deck, it doesn't suffer the drawback of most gainers, which is that by the time you get the gainer, play the gainer, gain a card, and see that gained card in your hand, at least two shuffles have gone by.

The rest of the ballot:

#3 (tie) - Ghost Town by Rush Clasic with 7 points (Ghost Town)
$2 - Action-Reaction
+2 Actions
--

#3 (tie) - Emerald by Robz888 with 7 points (Emerald)
$4 - Treasure
--

#3 (tie) - Astrologer by A Drowned Kernel with 7 points (Astrologer)
$4 - Action-Attack
--

#6 - Flea Market by tyr10n with 6 points (Flea Market)
$2 - Action
+2 Actions

#7 - Diviner by PurplePotato with 5 points (Diviner)
$3 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

#8 - Survivor's Village by ChocophileBenj with 4 points (Survivor's Village)
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
--

#9 (tie) - Zealot by Sakako with 3 points (Zealot)
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

#9 (tie) - Heirloom by andwilk with 3 points (Heirloom)
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

#9 (tie) - Cobbler by Tables with 3 points (Cobbler)
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action

#9 (tie) - Bursar by Qvist with 3 points (Bursar)
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+$1

#9 (tie) - Archaeologist by Green Opal with 3 points (Archaeologist)
$3 - Action
+$2

#14 (tie) - World's Fair by Mecherath with 2 points (World's Fair)
$3 - Action
Trash this card.

#14 (tie) - Town Fool by andwilk with 2 points (Town Fool)
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2

#14 (tie) - Retirement Village by Michaelf7777777 with 2 points (Retirement Village)
$3 - Action-Victory
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
1 VP

#14 (tie) - Plaza by Celestial Chameleon with 2 points (Plaza)
$3 - Action

#18 (tie) - Watchmaker by A Drowned Kernel with 1 point (Watchmaker)
$4 - Action

#18 (tie) - Tithe by Fragasnap with 1 point (Tithe)
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Buy
--

#18 (tie) - Street Performer by Tables with 1 point (Street Performer)
$3 - Action
+$2
--

#18 (tie) - Sorry Witch by Titandrake with 1 point (Sorry Witch)
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards

#18 (tie) - Repair Shop by Mecherath with 1 point (Repair Shop)
$5 - Action-Reaction
--

#18 (tie) - Planchet by Qvist with 1 point (Planchet)
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
--

#18 (tie) - Diplomat by gman314 with 1 point (Diplomat)
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
--

#18 (tie) - Bribe by DWetzel with 1 point (Bribe)
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

#26 (tie) - Caretaker by jonts26 with 0 points (Caretaker)
$5 - Action
+4 Cards

#26 (tie) - Broker by nopawnsintended with 0 points (Broker)
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:14:36 am by rinkworks »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2012, 04:49:39 pm »

Alas, I really wanted to win, but congrats to Yuma. I voted for his card, I really liked it!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:02 pm »

So, no cards into the set for me. That's a shame (for me, at least). I have to admit, I didn't like Recruiter, it seems like it's going to be inheritly very swingy depending on what attacks are in the kingdom. I did like Emerald and gave that 3 points, I still think it has potential to be very fun.

I do like Thanksgiving though, it seems a bit weak but an overall fun card (I don't think it needs to be a one-shot), so good to see that get in as well (it was top two right?)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:05:29 pm by Tables »

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2012, 09:06:03 pm »

Yeah! Second best of the second bests ;)! But, thanks to rinkworks to all of his efforts, not bad for a card I spent about 3 minutes on.
Edit: wait, do top two get in? It says so in the first post but isn't made clear in the results.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:08:47 pm by Tdog »

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2012, 09:12:09 pm »

#1 - Recruiter by yuma with 12 points (Recruiter)
$5 - Action-Attack
--

The set gets another Attack card, this one a card that can accrue copies of itself, or of other attack cards, and ramp up a violent game quickly.  On its own, it's a Cursing attack that, unlike most cursing attacks, can probably be passed over on many boards.  But if another Attack card is present (including a stronger curser), this card becomes more powerful, with a greater number of potentially lucrative interactions possible.

Happy to see my card as the winning card. There were a lot of good cards in this mix--obviously!

I am going to try and playtest this with the wife in the next little bit and see what happens with it. I love Attack cards, especially how they completely change the dynamic of the game, and wanted to try to create a card that encouraged obtaining attack cards. I do think there will be some interesting decisions pertaining to how many Recruiters you get before moving onto other attack cards? Do you get this first or do you get a Mountebank or a Witch first?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2012, 09:18:44 pm »

It's a shame a Village didn't win if we were to consider the set as a whole, but the winning cards are quite interesting.

I don't personally think that Thanksgiving needs to be a oneshot. If there's a strong $2 action it will be a beast, but I think it's more interesting if it both helps build a Village/Smithy engine but also clogs it up. We'll see how it looks with playtesting.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 12:35:16 am »

Congrats to yuma for winning! I didn't vote for the card though. My biggest votes went to Emerald and Heirloom.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 10:10:37 am »

Yeah! Second best of the second bests ;)! But, thanks to rinkworks to all of his efforts, not bad for a card I spent about 3 minutes on.
Edit: wait, do top two get in? It says so in the first post but isn't made clear in the results.

Oh!  I totally forgot about that.  You're right, your card also made it in.  Congrats!

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:19 am »

Updated the ballot to name Tdog's Thanksgiving card as one of the two winners of the round.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 10:46:54 am »

Oh, yay about Thanksgiving, one of my favorite cards in this Runners-Up challenge! Congrats Tdog!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

Oh!  I totally forgot about that.  You're right, your card also made it in.  Congrats!

???

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 03:31:58 pm »

???

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  The #2 card here was Tdog's.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 03:58:55 pm »

Oh, whoops, I brain farted and figured you must have been quoting my question about the second best card getting in.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 07:17:52 pm »

Congrats to the winners. I think I voted for both. I'm also very interested about the power level of Thanksgiving. Maybe we have to adjust the price or the one-shot ability.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.