Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gray's Game Help 3  (Read 2029 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Gray's Game Help 3
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:06:08 pm »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110811-095327-899a5811.html

Taking a first look at the board, It seemed like an interesting board with various strategies. When my opponent bought a pirate ship, I thought about building a minion deck, so while his pirate ship cleared out my treasure, I could have a nice slim deck free of treasure. But seeing vineyard, I thought about building a peddler deck. After gaining a significant lead over my opponent, he resigned.

Thoughts?

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Gray's Game Help 3
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:38:21 pm »

With so many cheap actions (especially pawn), I'd have gone for vineyards without even peddlers being there.

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:48 pm »

Well, I would've resigned too.

Your last turn before the resignation, you could've just bought 3 pawns to end the game.

In fact, once you'd emptied the peddlers, I would've just spent your turns buying native villages and pawns - you could've been done by turn 14.

Pirate Ship was going to be a losing proposition on that board - there's just too much non-treasure cash about, and even if he hit all your copper, that's only $7 ships with an $11 target, so there was much you could do to screw that up.

I'm not sure, but I've got a feeling that using expand+peddlers might've let you plough through the colonies even faster than three-piling, but with your opponent emptying out the native villages, three-piling was definitely the way you should be ending this one.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:06:21 pm »

Yea, right after he resigned, i had realized i could've 3-piled.  oops.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:44:52 pm »

There's a good minion and peddler deck in there even without your opponent trashing out your copper. It's possibly a matter of play style but I'd have tried to avoid the second woodcutter and taken more pawns than native villages, at least until the expand arrived. It gives different types of good and bad draws. You seemed to get the good draws with your copper going onto the native village mat (a fair tactic) and some great peddler buying turns. I suspect it could have gone worse. Keeping the deck cycling faster might be more important if the opponent doesn't remove your copper.

It doesn't really matter how you finished it off since you had such a big lead. In a more competitive game it might have been a difficult deck to control as you'd want to score in every way at once - big purchasing, expanding peddlers to colonies, vineyard purchases using potions and extra buys, plus a guillotine from three pile depletions. You'd need to score early but then choking the deck with green cards would become a serious problem so judging the number of minions and expands would be tricky. I wouldn't like to say how much time could be spent refining the deck before everything had to be thrown into a vp rush.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:57:52 pm »

Pirate Ship to me seems like the absolute worse opener on this board.  This one for me would be a no-brainer: Minion Engine full of Peddlers, Pawns and maybe Markets with an extremely strong Vineyard option.  I really see little or no reason to go Native or mess with Woodcutters;  this Kingdom shouldn't have any problem getting to $11 with just the four actions I mentioned.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

HockeyHippo

• Scout
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 05:16:50 pm »

Expanding Peddlers into Colonies?

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 08:24:42 am »

Expanding Peddlers into Colonies?

It's definitely a reasonable idea. I probably overvalue that sort of plan, but it's something I'd likely have gone for, especially with the 5/2 open. Market/Pawn is a phenomenal opening for a Peddler rush.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.