Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Counting House, Really?  (Read 1644 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Counting House, Really?
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:04:30 am »

Imagine a kingdom where Counting House is useful.
Done? Okay, now take away Mountebank.

I played this Colony game which featured a lot of options and was very very VERY interesting.

Cards: Counting House, Crossroads, Duke, Fairgrounds, Goons, Harem, Hoard, Library, Platinum, Trade Route, and Worker's Village

There's a lot of support for an alt VP strategy here: Hoard, Trade Route, Crossroads. So you may be inclined to go Hoards->Harem or rush Dukes or something. Well, yeah, that's cute and all that, but it's a Colony game and those Golds are nice, but not super and while you're rushing, your opponent may grab 2 or 3 Colonies and stop you dead in your tracks. Trade Route might also be massive with so many alt VP cards. Heck, even Fairgrounds can be 6 VP easily.

What else is there? Goons, or like WanderingWilder pronounces it: Goooooons.

And............... Counting House! Really, Counting House? Ya rly!

I set off to pursue the almighty unstoppable Goons + Worker's Village + Counting House supercombo! I imagined that buying Coppers with Goons in play might not be so bad as Counting House could pick them from my discard. Also I thought that I could grow my deck enough this way to not shuffle as often and provide an even better boost for Counting House. I guess a good Counting House strategy is similar to Philosopher's Stone. You want to play it often, but you need a large deck thus you can play it less often. Buying more Counting Houses is easier than buying more Philosopher's Stones though.

In the end, my opponent tried to do something similar, but he was too late. I chose to go for Provinces as this would probably be shorter and safer although I could easily have gone for Colonies.

Thoughts on this interesting kindom? Would you do something similar or try for any of the alt VP strategies?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Counting House, Really?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:35:47 am »
+2

There's a pure vp token deck in there too with worker's villages, libraries, goons, trade route. I'd favour that.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:21:52 am »

I notice neither of you played double or triple goons all game. One megaturn with triple goons workers village could have wiped out your whole lead, I think.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »

There's a pure vp token deck in there too with worker's villages, libraries, goons, trade route. I'd favour that.

Throw in a Crossroads, because actions are sparse with having to split WVs.

I might actually consider opening Trade Route and gunning for Library because it's not so hard to get Goons if you already have Library to counter Goons.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:46:41 pm »
+3

Well, let me just say that I've considered any and all of the above, but when a situation arises when Counting House may actually be decent, I enjoy going out of my way to use it. :)

Zootsuit

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 02:56:38 am »

with smithy or rabble instead you could cycle through your engine  carefully and trigger reshuffles after counting house. Anyone ever do this?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:12:49 am »

with smithy or rabble instead you could cycle through your engine  carefully and trigger reshuffles after counting house. Anyone ever do this?
Not particularly, but I just played a Colony game with Hunting Party.
HP + Counting House is decent as you're discarding a lot of Coppers anyway.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.