Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scout/Harem/Steward/Embassy  (Read 1064 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Scout/Harem/Steward/Embassy
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:23 pm »

I like how the four cards in the subject line synergized.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/04/game-20121004-165733-345a8bae.html

cards in supply: Embassy, Harem, Hunting Party, Market, Mining Village, Saboteur, Scout, Spice Merchant, Steward, and Throne Room

Here my opponent gets a 5/2 split with Embassy on the board, and does what you'd expect. I open 4/3 and go for Scout and Steward, Steward for trashing and Scout in anticipation of Harems. The top-deck-reordering helped because I could draw with Steward, too. I picked up an Embassy on my first $5. I went Harem over Gold because of Scout and to keep pace with his Turn 1 Embassy, and towards the end of the midgame went for Duchies on $6-7. I'm beginning to legitimately love Scout as a card. One question though, is 5/2 or 4/3 better on this board?
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Scout/Harem/Steward/Embassy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:17:51 pm »

I would strongly suspect that a more straightforward Embassy-BM would beat scout/steward shenanigans. Your opponent did things like buy a Market with $6 instead of a harem or gold - twice! (In the end, the only treasure in his deck was 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 harem, and 7 coppers. He also had 2 markets which would have been better as golds or harems, and 1 hunting party which would probably have been better as a second embassy).

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:40 pm »

Yeah, I felt very fortunate to get the win after the openings!
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:23:24 pm »

Could you use Harem and/or Market as pseudo silvers and run a Hunting Party stack? Would it be competitive? I don't like opening Embassy as that early Silver can actually be meaningful. But then, he did get to skip Silver entirely and go straight for Gold, so maybe it worked out okay?
I am going to guess that a Throne Room is a bad idea in a HP stack, but something about the idea of throning a HP just makes me smile inside.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.