Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Card That Name! -- Episode 2: Blood Money  (Read 16984 times)

vintermann

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Card That Name! -- Episode 2: Blood Money
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 08:00:36 am »

Blood money needs to involve silver somehow, in my opinion. Ideally thirty, but I know that's overkill.

Blood Money - $4
Treasure-Victory

1 Coin. Gain a silver to hand. At the end of game, this card is worth -1VP for every three silvers you have in your deck.

---

When you trash this, gain a curse.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 08:13:31 am »

BLOOD MONEY
$5 - Treasure
$3
-
While this is in play, you cannot buy Victory cards.

That basically very similar to Quarry.
It's a Gold if you want to buy Action cards and if you buy Victory cards it's a Copper instead of "you can't". Yeah, it's not the same because of the cost reduction of Quarry, but still too similar to make it interesting. Also, this should basically cost $4.

On the other hand, you can use this to buy actual Gold, which you can't (usefully) do with Quarry; that might justify a higher price.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 08:40:40 am »

BLOOD MONEY
$5 - Treasure
$3
-
While this is in play, you cannot buy Victory cards.

That basically very similar to Quarry.
It's a Gold if you want to buy Action cards and if you buy Victory cards it's a Copper instead of "you can't". Yeah, it's not the same because of the cost reduction of Quarry, but still too similar to make it interesting. Also, this should basically cost $4.

On the other hand, you can use this to buy actual Gold, which you can't (usefully) do with Quarry; that might justify a higher price.

Indeed.  Contraband is another card along these lines.  It's pretty much a no-go when it comes to Provinces at the end, but it can help you buy golds (although golds themselves are a common block earlier in the game).  But then, probably contraband's best use is when there are several different cheap engine pieces you want, and the +buy allows you to get several at once while a single piece being blocked this turn isn't so crippling.

One big difference, though.  With both Contraband and Quarry, while you can't get that Province there is fair chance that you can at least full back on a Duchy, which can make all the difference in the end game.  In fact, Contraband will sometimes allow you to pick up two Duchies as your fall back.  This Blood Money won't even let you pick up an estate.
Well you *do* need a signature...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »

Blood Money - $5
Treasure

$2
------------
When you play this, discard a Copper from your hand.
If you do: +$2. If you don't: Gain a Curse.

I don't know if this is the best implementation of the idea, but the idea is to have players "pay" for their Blood Money and if they can't, suffer some consequences. The "gain a Curse" clause can be easily replaced. Having it discard Coppers makes it so it doesn't stack very well. I mean, a hand of BM, BM, C, C, X will net you a Province, same as 2G+2C, but a hand of 3BM, X, X won't do you much good.

We currently don't have non-stackable Treasures; in fact we have Bank and Fool's Gold which are the opposite. Thoughts?

I think I like this implementation.  There is a slight accountability issue in that the self-Cutpurse is not optional but there isn't a "or reveal a hand without" clause.  I think it should remain mandatory.

Contraband is an example of a Treasure that you wouldn't want to stack.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 01:47:38 pm »
+1

Blood Money
$5 - Action-Attack
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest. If any player trashes a card this way, gain a spoils, putting it into your hand.

Spoils-to-hand is very similar to +$3. I don't think it would be worth pulling the whole Spoils pile out for.

Sakako

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 02:04:23 am »

Is this supposed to be a Treasure? Because you have it listed as an Action.
Seems like it works as an Action, since Action cards usually stay in play until the end of the turn. Anyway, here's mine:

Blood Money
$4
Treasure
Worth $2

Choose one: +$2, and gain a Curse, putting it on top of your deck; or +$1, and gain a Curse.

This has the problem that a lot of Blood Moneys do, which is that it's overpowered after the Curses run out.

Alright, how's this for fixing:

Self-Nerfing Blood Money
$4
Worth $1

Choose one:
Gain a curse, putting it on top of your deck. If you do, +$3; or
Gain a curse, putting it into your hand. If you do, +$1.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 02:28:44 am »

Blood Money:
Cost: 4
Worth $0
When you play this, you may gain a curse, putting it in your hand
You may put a curse from your hand on top of your deck. If you do +$4
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:33:13 am by NoMoreFun »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 21 queries.