Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fun-looking Board - Ruined by the Bane (any guesses on that card?)  (Read 1556 times)

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile

I was so looking forward to playing this during the veto. I enjoy longer grinding games with good cards but the ability to have a focus still (normal cursing games are quite fun to me) and the lack of trashing seemed to indicate this...

Card in supply: Cellar, Explorer, Farming Village, Goons, Governor, Haven, Monument, Peddler, Village, Young Witch
Cards vetoed: Minion, Jack of all Trades

... then I saw the Bane: Swindler (are you f'ing kidding me, total ruin) and then was dismayed to see I opened 5-2. My opening Gov was hit early and this went from a fun grinder to a boring can I build a Swindler proof deck against a guy who has a million villages, Goons, Governor and Swindlers? No fun at all, especially when you realize that the best Swindler move on the board when it hits a 4 is to give Young Witch.

Oh well. This is normally why I veto Young Witch. Because who knows what is coming with it. I play veto because sometimes I want to avoid Ambassador and Swindler in particular. Tonight was one of those nights.

Here's the game: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/04/game-20121004-004409-3530cee5.html

How would everyone have played it? I realize I was nowhere near optimal in my play but I'm just curious.

vintermann

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Fun-looking Board - Ruined by the Bane (any guesses on that card?)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:46:17 am »

Ah, the swingler, always an annoying card. Getting the governor turned into a duchy was bad, but getting your young witch hit twice, making it miss your hand, was pretty horribly unlucky too. Adding to that Megitt's early Goons, I certainly don't think I could have done any better.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »

5/2 is really bad here, as you know. I would be tempted to ignore Governor, since gaining Gold isn't really a priority here. Perhaps just open Young Witch/Haven, in your case. Otherwise I would open Young Witch/Swindler without a second thought.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 03:49:04 pm »

Governor for card draw - followed by goonsination.  Can't resist!
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.