Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Make up your own card?  (Read 30842 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Make up your own card?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 04:59:25 am »

I had an idea similar to the Shapeshifter above.

Illusion
$4 (?)
Choose one of the following:
- Name a card. While Illusion is in play, this card behaves like a 0* copper.
- Name a card. While Illusion is in play, this card behaves like a 0* estate.
- Name a card. While Illusion is in play, this card behaves like a 0* action card (that does nothing when you play it)
So that you can trash your estates/curses with mine/mint, or make your scrying pool more efficient. The 0* price is so you cannot use this to buy provinces at the price of a copper.
(maybe you should change the 0* copper to a 0*, 0$ treasure card, and the 0* estate to a 0*, 0 VP victory card, but I wanted to be able to play Baron or Moneylender with this card)

Whack the price up to around $6-7 and make it a duration. Your opponent's making a minion deck? Okay, for the next turn, all minions act like an estate. Good luck!

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 03:38:19 pm »

Terracotta Warrior
$6
Action/Victory
Trash an Attack card. If you do, gain a Terracotta Warrior.
Worth 1VP for each Terracotta Warrior in your deck.

It's a variation of Duke/Duchy with a taste of Remodel. Are you ready to trash your Goons/Pirate Ships to acquire the victorious terracotta army?
Massively overpowered. It's not that hard to get to $6, and if you can get 5 of these, it's better than 4 provinces...

Perhaps if it could be worded in such a way that you could only buy one of them from the supply, but could only obtain additional ones by gaining them with the action.   I think this would be pretty hard to actually squeeze into the rules, and the card text would be crazy.  "You can't buy this if you have any Warriors in play."  "When you buy this card, reveal your hand, if you have any warriors in it, trash this card."  Then you would have to reveal and set aside your entire deck to search for warriors too, so buying your first one would have a free chancellor effect too.  It would probably be better to just play with the house rule of being honest and following the "buy only one" rule instead of forcing actual verification.

You could make them attached to a card like tournament prizes and have them not purchasable, but have an action(should probably be an attack card of some sort, or the card could be useless) card that simply reads 'trash any attack card(including this one), if you do, gain a terracotta warrior' in addition to whatever else it does.  They would then also become much harder to obtain a lot of.

drg

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 03:44:51 pm »

I had an idea similar to the Shapeshifter above.

Illusion
$4 (?)
Choose one of the following:
- Name a card. While Illusion is in play, this card behaves like a 0* copper.
- Name a card. While Illusion is in play, this card behaves like a 0* estate.
- Name a card. While Illusion is in play, this card behaves like a 0* action card (that does nothing when you play it)
So that you can trash your estates/curses with mine/mint, or make your scrying pool more efficient. The 0* price is so you cannot use this to buy provinces at the price of a copper.
(maybe you should change the 0* copper to a 0*, 0$ treasure card, and the 0* estate to a 0*, 0 VP victory card, but I wanted to be able to play Baron or Moneylender with this card)

Whack the price up to around $6-7 and make it a duration. Your opponent's making a minion deck? Okay, for the next turn, all minions act like an estate. Good luck!

Yes, this would function far better as a duration attack card to make some of the opponents better cards useless.  As is, it's far too dependent on other cards to be useful in a normal game, as it would *only* function in conjunction with a few specific action cards, and you wouldn't have any actions left after you played it anyway. Also mint would become even harder to get to 5 to buy with this around. A card that needs two other specific cards in hand to have any value at all is not going to work (although one could be removed by adding actions to it).

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:10 pm »

I have an idea for a card:

(No Name Yet)
$6-7
Action
+ 2 cards, + 2 actions, + $1, and worth  -1vp

Still not sure about the cost, haven't tested it yet

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 07:11:11 pm »

I have an idea for a card:

(No Name Yet)
$6-7
Action
+ 2 cards, + 2 actions, + $1, and worth  -1vp

Still not sure about the cost, haven't tested it yet
Hmmm. This card + Great Hall = Bazaar + Laboratory, which suggests $7 might be the appropriate cost.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »

I meant negative 1 vp, not 1 vp, just to clarify

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 08:34:56 pm »

I think its overpowered. Think about trash-for benefit cards - Upgrade, Remake, Remodel, Expand, Apprentice, Salvager, Bishop - all of these would benefit greatly from a high cost card that you want to trash before the end of the game. And even without those, it's almost always going to be worth taking the negative VP. Like buying a single Possession or Goons in spite of an opponent's embargo.

Now if it was -2 vp, maybe leaving it in your deck would be a scary enough prospect, but I'd still consider it an overpowered card.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 08:36:15 pm »

what if i make it $5 and -3 vp?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:42:35 pm by Graystripe77 »

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:24 pm »

Silver Village $5
Action - Duration

+2 Actions
+1 Card

At the start of your next turn, you may choose one:

-Trash a Silver.  If you do, +$2
-Gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.

Have not tested this one at all.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:58:21 pm by Axe Knight »
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 09:14:48 pm »

looks interesting, mind if i test it?

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:51 pm »

Of course, not.  It certainly needs work.  It goes along with my theme of "making Silver more interesting."  If I get enough ideas, I may make a Silver expansion. 
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 02:31:55 am »

I have never really thought about asking for feedback on cards I have made up since... well, I made them up.  Here are my two favorite cards I play with that I've tried hard to balance.

A Victory card: Ancient Tomb -- Cost: $4

Worth 1 Victory Point per Curse you have.

This basically turns Curses into something you wouldn't mind having, to something you would actually buy.  It also really changes how powerful some attack cards like Witch are.  It seems to work when I play with my friends, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it with better players.

I had a card that was identical to this one.  Mine was called the Blessing (since it negates a Curse).

I'll throw a few of my card ideas out here to see what you guys think. 

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:34:36 am by Zaphod »

Zaphod

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 02:35:11 am »

Here's a simple one...

Card Name: Beggar
Type: Action
Cost: 2
+1 Coin, +1 Buy
You may gain any card in the trash.

This is a fairly meaningless card, unless there's a trash-for-benefit card in the game, in which case it could be rather powerful.

Zaphod

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 02:37:37 am »

Here's another...

Card Name: Monk
Type: Action-Duration
Cost: 3
+1 Action; This turn and next, +1 Coin
While this card is in play, the player is exempt from all player interaction.

The duration of this card starts when a player puts it on the table, and ends at the beginning of that player’s next turn.  During this time, the player is not subject to any attacks.  He cannot be Possessed.  If Masquerade is played, the player to his right passes to the player to his left, leaving him unchanged.  If the player to his right plays a Tribute, the player to his left shows two cards.  On the other hand, if Council Room is played, he doesn’t draw an extra card, nor may he trash a card as a result of the Bishop being played.  Treat every situation as if the player is not in the game.

While the Monk is operative, the person who played it cannot attack others or affect them in any other way.  He is essentially playing solitaire during that time.

Zaphod

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 02:44:45 am »

One more...

Card Name: Financier
Type: Treasure
Cost: 4

Duplicates the value of any Treasure card you have played this turn.

The Financier started with a thought..."hey, it would be cool if you could Throne Room the Treasure cards."  I played around with the idea a little, and came up with this.

This card is only useful if another Treasure card has been played this turn.  The other Treasure card can be a standard Treasure such as Silver or Platinum, or a Treasure in the kingdom set, such as Loan or Venture.  The effect is exactly as if you put another copy of that Treasure into play.

Yariv

• Steward
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:32 am »

Financier is not the same as playing another copy of the card, think about Bank.
Beggar would be ridiculous in a game with saboteur, even swindler might make it weird (gain a colony?).
Monk seems too similar to Lighthouse, the only difference is non-attack interaction (which is positive more often than negative) and the cost.

PetterTB

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 07:12:35 am »

Actually lightHouse > monk!

What about :

Name : Mercury
Type : treasure
Cost $6

When this card is played you choose one:
+2$
+Potion

Blaeu

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 01:46:12 pm »

This is a card I had a dream about.  Weird right?  No play testing at all, but thought I'd share it because it was a cool card... in my dream.

Name: Ascension
Cost: $5
Type: Action-Reaction-Duration

Trash a card from your hand.
---
At the start of your next turn, you may Trash a card from your hand.  If you do, leave this card in play.  If you do not, Trash this card.
While this card is in play, you are unaffected by attacks.

Thoughts?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »

It doesn't seem to have a reaction part although it is labelled as a reaction card.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:44 pm »

Blaeu:  That is really intriguing.  I'm going to guess it's overpowered, because there is usually *something* trashable in any deck.  On the other hand, while it's in play, you're always playing four-card hands, and that could be brutal.  I'd say it's worth playtesting.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 02:53:03 pm »

I think the core trashing component of the card is very good. I'd remove the protection from attacks, cost it at $4 instead of $5, and call it a day. I would guess that's a fun and balanced card, but of course it would need playtesting.

I would say the protection from attacks is simply too good on boards with strong attacking strategies available, while being worthless in the absence of attacks. It looks like a $6 or $7 card to me (for its power level on attacking boards), but then nobody would ever, ever buy it on other boards. Even at $5 it's a terrible card if you're not using it to defend against attacks: it's simply too slow at trashing to wait until turn 5-7 to play it.

A couple minor technical notes, even though it's already clear what you mean for the card to do:

1. This isn't a Reaction card, just an Action-Duration. Think about Lighthouse, which isn't a Reaction either. The defining feature of a Reaction card is that you can reveal it from your hand in response to some event.
2. You'd need to reword it a bit for consistency with existing rules and card text. I'd suggest: "At the start of your action phase, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do not, trash this card. While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn't affect you." The last sentence is taken straight off of Lighthouse.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 08:10:58 pm »

Action

Cost:$5

+3cards
+1action
Trash 2 cards from your hand

An extremely good early buy, but gets very risky to play unless there are +buys to grab coppers to trash

Blaeu

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 09:25:29 pm »

How about a duration card?

Name: Inflation

Now and at the start of your next turn: +$1

While this is in play, all cards (including cards in players’ hands) cost $1 more per Action card in play (counting this).

----
Since I have never played with a duration card that has such an impact on other players, I'm not really sure how to balance the cost of the card with the effect.  I wanted it to be at least $5 since I don't want someone to be able to open with this assuming a 4/3 split (83.3% chance).  I was thinking of pricing it at $6, but if I did I would want to increase the +coin amount, at least on the turn it is played.

Thoughts?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 09:28:33 pm »

How about a duration card?

Name: Inflation

Now and at the start of your next turn: +$1

While this is in play, all cards (including cards in players’ hands) cost $1 more per Action card in play (counting this).

----
Since I have never played with a duration card that has such an impact on other players, I'm not really sure how to balance the cost of the card with the effect.  I wanted it to be at least $5 since I don't want someone to be able to open with this assuming a 4/3 split (83.3% chance).  I was thinking of pricing it at $6, but if I did I would want to increase the +coin amount, at least on the turn it is played.

Thoughts?
Not good. Most of the time it's going to be horrible, since it hits you for two turns but only hits them for one. And when it is good (when you can mass bridge or forge), it's either unnecessary or insanely broken.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:15 pm »

Here's an idea of mine. If you're wondering about the name, this idea comes from a Train-themed fan expansion I've been working on.

CONDUCTOR
Action/Attack - (5)
-
+(2)
Each other player reveals and discards a Victory card from his hand. If he doesn't, he reveals his hand, then discards the Treasure card with the highest cost of his choice from his hand.

While I'm at it, here's another from the same fan-expansion.

SNACK CART
Action - (3)
-
Trash a Treasure card from your hand. If you do, choose an Action card in the supply other than Snack Cart costing up to (3) more than the trashed card. Play that card's effect.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.