Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: FunSockets Q&A - Part 2  (Read 20682 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
Re: FunSockets Q&A - Part 2
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 01:23:30 pm »

As for the leader board, We're aware that people can hold spots. We have it in the roadmap to make sure that doesn't happen. It's not high in the priority right now, but it will be introduced.

I'm holding #2 on the pro leaderboard right now, and I haven't touched it since the launch day or so.  I don't really like the rating decay on iso even if you're active, but I do think its reasonable to add uncertainty / remove them from the board if someone doesn't play at all.

Vote: FTL for beating me.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 01:24:55 pm »
+5

+4 - How does the rating system actually work? Numbers and formulas please.
Our rating system function very similarly to Isotropic’s. However, players in Goko’s Dominion start at 1000 points instead of 0. As you play more, your actual rating becomes more clear to our formula. So your rating will start to fluctuate less. Your rating, a number from 0 to 10,000, is shown in the Rating column of the leaderboard.  A number in parentheses indicates the number of points rating points you gained or lost in your last game. 

A "P" indicates that your rating is "provisional", i.e. the system does not yet have a good estimate of your ability.  While you are provisional, you'll see your rating in the leaderboard, but nobody else will. We do this because the initial standard deviation is so high.

Ratings are adjusted based on the following:
* What place you come in and how many players are in the game.
* The ratings of your opponents (The higher the level of your opponent the more you’ll move up)

Ratings are not adjusted based on the following:
* How many points you win by
* Number of turns

This doesn't actually address the question.  Numbers and forumulas please.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 01:29:42 pm »
+2

What's better, Mountebank or Witch?

I like Mountebank when there are no +2 actions, and Witch when there are.

+1 for basically saying it depends on the kingdom...
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »
+5

+4 - How does the rating system actually work? Numbers and formulas please.
Our rating system function very similarly to Isotropic’s. However, players in Goko’s Dominion start at 1000 points instead of 0. As you play more, your actual rating becomes more clear to our formula. So your rating will start to fluctuate less. Your rating, a number from 0 to 10,000, is shown in the Rating column of the leaderboard.  A number in parentheses indicates the number of points rating points you gained or lost in your last game. 

This doesn't actually address the question.  Numbers and forumulas please.
Don't see your problem...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 05:41:59 pm »
+7

Why is goko so slow? Contrary what I initially thought and what I've seen suggested several times on this board, the issue isn't animations. The unofficial iOS has animations and it isn't too difficult to play a game in 4 minutes. The problem is with how goko has written their app. Testing with wireshark and a stopwatch both confirm that taking any action requiring server side interaction on goko requires about 3 or 4 seconds before the UI will be ready for the next action.
I have not seen it be as slow as 3 seconds, but yes that's the problem.

I also play on an even-more-private beta, testing the cards before the private beta gets them. On this program, on fast, everything is extremely fast. I can play my Goons and buy 20 Coppers and it's just click click click. I could potentially click faster but whatever. And there's very fast, even faster. I use very fast when the bot buys Spies, because man I don't need to sit through that, and in multiplayer games, because then the status line message shows up saying what the other players bought/gained. I use fast otherwise and it feels faster than it has to be.

But go to the public beta and now every click has a delay. It's not animations. It's communication.

Ideally when you're playing against the bot, you could have entire turns sent in one chunk. If your turn contains an "oops I hacked the system to make Platinum free" then it would reject it then. In multiplayer you want to see visible things, but certain things could still be faster, like the already-pointed-out picking-cards-to-Chapel. And what, if you aren't doing things that can be reacted to, you can group actions.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:55 pm »

But go to the public beta and now every click has a delay. It's not animations. It's communication.

Ideally when you're playing against the bot, you could have entire turns sent in one chunk. If your turn contains an "oops I hacked the system to make Platinum free" then it would reject it then. In multiplayer you want to see visible things, but certain things could still be faster, like the already-pointed-out picking-cards-to-Chapel. And what, if you aren't doing things that can be reacted to, you can group actions.

Thanks for the insight, Donald! Do you think the servers are not up to the load, or is something else going on? It seems like many games are able to handle very frequent communication between users' computers, so I'm wondering why that's not possible for Goko at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:55:30 pm by Jive Junkie »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 06:22:34 pm »
+1

Thanks for the insight, Donald! Do you think the servers are not up to the load, or is something else going on? It seems like many games are able to handle very frequent communication between users' computers, so I'm wondering why that's not possible for Goko at the moment.

This is what I'm thinking. I can't imagine sending Dominion game data is more intensive than RTS or FPS video games that require the same types of security and data sending, yet those systems that I've seen handle the load fine. So, is it that the Goko implementation is inefficient and slow itself, or are the servers not game-ready yet?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.