Dominion > Dominion Articles

Request: Diadem

(1/5) > >>

Jimmmmm:
Can someone please explain Diadem to me? I don't think I've ever seen it taken, and certainly all the other Tournament Prizes seem a lot more useful. What kind of (good) deck is going to have a bunch of spare actions that will make Diadem either better than any other remaining prize, or better than a Duchy given that the game has gone on long enough for all the other prizes to be taken? To me it seems like it would normally be a silver, sometimes a gold, rarely 4 or 5, but even then you'd rather be spending your actions on cards that will benefit you more by more than $1/action. And because there's only one, it doesn't seem possible to build a viable strategy around it.

I also notice that the Council Room popular buys page has Diadem at 0.0 buys/deck for which it's available:

http://councilroom.com/popular_buys
This is because you don't buy it, you gain it. Though its gains are significantly lower than the other prizes:

Trusty Steed: 0.35
Followers: 0.31
Princess: 0.26
Bag of Gold: 0.19
Diadem: 0.11

Does anyone consider it a worthwhile prize? If so, do you have any examples of effectively incorporating it into an already-made deck?

Thisisnotasmile:
All prizes have 0.0 buys/deck because you can't buy them. It's the gains that you need to look at.

And as for when Diadem is useful: Cities.

Jimmmmm:

--- Quote from: Thisisnotasmile on August 17, 2011, 10:39:45 am ---All prizes have 0.0 buys/deck because you can't buy them. It's the gains that you need to look at.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Edited.

philosophyguy:
I've gone for Diadem on occasion (mostly in real life, there's only one or two examples on iso and those were not great games). It's a relatively rare situation, but it can be useful in some scenarios. For instance, I've had games in which I used Universities to acquire non-terminals (like Treasury or City); in those decks, it's quite possible to have extra actions left over. Hamlets and Fishing Villages can also leave you with extra actions. But in general you're right that it's not a great option on a lot of sets, because usually you'll get more from playing your terminal actions than from converting the actions into money.

shark_bait:
I haven't really used it too much, but KC can be very useful for obtaining large amounts of excess actions that make diadem worth more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version