Dominion > Dominion Articles

Request: Remodel

(1/7) > >>

AdamH:
I'm a noob, I know. This is kind of a noobish question, but I've looked around this site for an article and Remodel and I haven't found one.

I'm having trouble finding any practical use for Remodel. It seems I'm better off in any circumstance without buying it at all. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but I just can't come up with any situations where buying Remodel can be useful.

I've heard about remodeling Golds into Provinces, and also remodeling Estates into better 4-cost actions (or maybe even Silvers?). I've attempted these and have never once successfully used Remodel. Does anyone have some experience with using Remodel successfully?

One other thing, since Remodel is in the base set, examples that are limited to the base set are better for me, especially since I've only ever played with the base set. Examples outside the base set are certainly welcome, though.

Thisisnotasmile:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/366636/turbo-remodel-or-the-holy-grail-of-dominion

That's one use of Remodel, although it's not actually terribly fast. Remodel is just a trash-for-benefit card just like all the others, but if you've not played with anything other than the base set you won't have seen the others. Its main use is getting rid of bad cards and turning them into better ones... obviously. For example, once you've chapelled your deck down, you can remodel your Chapel into something better. I'll admit though, Remodel is one of the worst trash-for-benefit cards for early-mid game because if you want to trash a Copper/Curse, you have to take an Estate or other cheap card in exchange, and that kind of defeats the whole point of wanting to trash that card. Other trash-for-benefit cards let you choose to not gain a card to replace the one you trashed (or offer other benefits altogether).

However, where Remodel really shines is in the end game when it can turn treasure cards into victory cards. These can provide vital tie-breaker points, especially in the base game where Big-Money strategies shine and tend to cause mirror-matches.

DG:
Believe it or not, here's one I made earlier! It's an article from the Theory site with sample game planning using a remodel.

http://dominionstrategy.com/2011/05/03/guest-article-sample-game-planning/

HockeyHippo:
When playing with only the base set I find Remodel to be a very powerful card. As far as my strategy goes. I'll typically open Remodel/Silver. I'll attempt to get as many remodels as fast as possible. This means Remodeling my Estates to Remodels and Buying Remodels as well. I haven't had much success Remodeling Coppers. I find it takes to long and the 2$ card clutters your deck more. When I start drawing 2 or 3 Remodels in the same hand I'll start Remodeling Remodels to Gold, buy Remodels when available. Keep this cylce going till you have a couple of Golds then start Remodeling Golds into Provinces. When the Provinces start getting low, Remodel and buy anything you can into VP. Coppers -> Estates, Silvers/4$/5$ cards into Dutchys. Since you only need a Remodel and Gold to get a Province the extra clutter will hurt you less than it would had you been going for a Draw Engine or Big money.

That's just how I play it, I've had some success with it. Especially against lower tier players who don't see the Gold-> Province coming.

@DG The link your article is not working, is it fixable? I'd love to see that Game Log.

WanderingWinder:
@HH, The link is working fine for me. Also, I've found that that remodeling strategy is basically always too slow. In fact, I'm not sure it's faster than Big Money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version