Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Attack definition  (Read 16901 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Attack definition
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »

I don't think that Moat will do anything. There is nothing to defend against when the card is played.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »
+2

I think this kind of discussion is really...odd. DXV frequently talks about how he changes/tweaks rules that are causing confusion - he just said the term Attack itself was created to stop precisely such messiness. If the current state of dominion is anything to go by, a card causing this much confusion right out of the gate (as opposed to the when combined in some exotic, unusual scenario) would not make the cut so having a hypothetical discussion about it is just totally pointless.

How would this hypothetical situation pan out? It wouldn't. That's the answer. (sorry if I'm being a curmudgeon about it)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:51:48 pm by Octo »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2012, 12:54:22 pm »

What about an Attack card that waits until a certain phase to deal its damage. Like an attack card that waits until the end of the action phase.

Assassin
Action - Attack
+4 Cards. Discard 2 cards or 1 copper.         
At the end of your Action phase, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals a number of cards equal to the number of Assassin cards you have in play. Each player discards one revealed card of your choice.

How would a Moat react to this? What if the player draws a Moat between the first and second time this is played in a turn?

Follow instructions in order, do all you can! So here's a potential Action phase:

I play Village and get +1 card, +2 actions.
I play Assassin and get +4 cards and discard a copper.
I play Governor and get +1 action, +3 cards. You get +1 card.
I play Assassin. You reveal Moat; I get +4 cards and discard a copper.
End of Action phase. The two Assassins activate simultaneously, so I choose the order.
First Assassin activates. You have 6 cards in hand and two Assassins are in play, so you reveal 2 cards and discard one.
Second Assassin activates. You have 5 cards in hand, but you Moated this Assassin, so it doesn't affect you.
I proceed to the Buy phase.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 01:16:18 pm »
+1

I don't think that Moat will do anything. There is nothing to defend against when the card is played.

So? Moat doesn't specify anything about the timing of what it stops. It says "you are unaffected by the attack". If the effect takes a while to resolve, so what? You still revealed the moat for that attack . If the same attack could hit you after that then you aren't following the instructions on Moat.

But I agree that a slow attack would be confusing. It can be easy to forget something like revealing a moat. Maybe after playing an assassin you also played a vault and the player who revealed moat decided to discard it because he also has two smithies and no village. The moat is still going to block the effect of the attack but now there's no easy way to remember that it was revealed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:21:44 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 11:35:42 am »

... It doesn't stop them from buying Province, that's a big one. ...
Now that would be an interesting reaction card.

Pre-emptive Saboteur - $5
Action/Reaction
[something action-y]
You may reveal this card when your opponent gains a card. If you do, your opponent trashes that card, and may gain one costing up to $2 less than the trashed card.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.